PDA

View Full Version : Roku

danilo
04-11-2016, 16:48
Are there Roku gizmos in Europe?
Asking as I'm waiting on one by Slooo boat from Chine via Amazon..
Could be here any day. .. I hope
Why China? cuz at 20$ delivered (albeit to my 10 mins drive away receiver in Usa) it's 1/4 the local price.
Seems the things are specifically priced to Each market region... much like automobiles.
And I can't refuse bargains... assuming it performs to brochure babbles.

danilo
09-12-2016, 18:31
A no show item.. grr.
Amazon gave an instant refund.
Went and bought a Roku from the Shops. My Second Roku purchase/attempt.
First (August) one had sporadic/unreliable connection . Wifi AND Ethernet cable. Returned it same day.
Tried their just out Express model the other day.
It couldn't get enough signal from my Wifi... let alone connect .. from ~15' distance .
Yet my Galaxy 7 phone finds the wifi from the back of the garden.
Returned the crappy Roku.. immediately .
Shop said *many* get returned. They could have warned me, before I took it home.
Would have saved both of us needless agro.

May run a direct connection cable from my 'puter instead.. one day.
IF I experience a revived urge for Netflix et all on a bigger screen than my 24" Monitor

Macca
09-12-2016, 18:50
Shop said *many* get returned. They could have warned me, before I took it home.
Would have saved both of us needless agro.

maybe they figured they had to get lucky eventually and sell one that worked. Law of averages being what it is. Aside from that what sort of salesman is going to tell you that you'll probably be back for a refund before you've even left the shop?

struth
09-12-2016, 18:52
The amazon fire tv stuff is very good and reliable. got a netflix app too.. same company i think .

spm
09-12-2016, 19:23
strange, currently use a us version roku xs which we have had for years, a roku stick we've had for a couple of years and more recently a roku 3 for the bedroom as it has a headphone out socket on the remote. All work great - only the xs is wired but we live in a small modern house (thin walls) so wifi is generally good.