PDA

View Full Version : 3-PIN plug redesigned - thoughts?

sburrell
06-12-2009, 11:23
I'm an avid RSS feed reader, and today Wired was linking to a Royal College of Art student's re-invention of the three-pin plug. Personally, I'm very impressed, and could easily see this becoming the new standard. The overarching principle is that it folds.

(original page here (http://www.iconeye.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3864:rca-student-radically-improves-the-uk-plug); Comprehensive design page here (http://www.minkyu.co.uk/Site/Product/Entries/2009/4/20_Folding_Plug_System.html), with videos)

http://www.iconeye.com/images/news_july_09/choi_uk_folding_plug01.jpg
http://www.iconeye.com/images/news_july_09/choi_uk_folding_plug02.jpg
http://www.iconeye.com/images/news_july_09/choi_uk_folding_plug03.jpg
http://www.iconeye.com/images/news_july_09/choi_uk_folding_plug04.jpg
http://www.iconeye.com/images/news_july_09/choi_uk_folding_plug05.jpg
http://www.iconeye.com/images/news_july_09/choi_uk_folding_plug06.jpg
http://www.iconeye.com/images/news_july_09/choi_uk_folding_plug07.jpg

(A few more images available on the original page, including a USB version of the plug.)

I thought the most important aspect for us hifi guys here was demonstrated by the last three pics. So, thoughts?

Tony Moore
06-12-2009, 14:19
That's really neat.

Jason P
06-12-2009, 14:51
Genius. And I think it'll make the guy squillions - good luck to him!!

Jason

hifinutt
06-12-2009, 14:52
very nice, do you think they will do a shielded version ?

Beechwoods
06-12-2009, 16:09
That is extremely cool. Fantastically simple, like all the best ideas!

Alex_UK
06-12-2009, 17:25
This was posted before, I think? But yes - genius - I can imagine the space this would save travelling or in my work bag - the 3 way adaptor is awesome too - he deserves to make a fortune!

sburrell
06-12-2009, 17:40
Darn diddley-arn! Yes, Shane posted this back in September:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3868

Though, that thread quickly turned to discussion of the sexual aesthetics of vacuum cleaners :scratch::rolleyes::lol:

Oh well. I'll blame Wired, who were well behind the times on this one ;)

Themis
06-12-2009, 17:41
Great idea, indeed ! :)

Spectral Morn
06-12-2009, 17:46
But does it sound as good as a MK tough plug...the ones with the silver plated connections and fuse? Sadly the type of plug also effects the sound imho/e.

But as a piece of product design, its very clever. When at Art College I did a module in Product Design, very interesting but not for me...I stuck to Jewelery and silversmithing.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
06-12-2009, 23:35
neil i have the silver pin MK's the body of these plugs are shit compared to the older ones.

Marco
06-12-2009, 23:43
But does it sound as good as a MK tough plug...the ones with the silver plated connections and fuse? Sadly the type of plug also effects the sound imho/e.

Yup. If you're going to use plugs (I don't :eyebrows:), then the best ones for hi-fi are the old fuse-less round-pin 15A ones. 'Mate' those with suitable sockets and they'll sound WAYYY better than *any' fused 13A plug, no matter the construction! ;)

Marco.

P.S This thread should be in The Artist's Palette. I'll move it now.

Rare Bird
06-12-2009, 23:51
Yup. If you're going to use plugs (I don't :eyebrows:), then the best ones for hi-fi are the old fuse-less round-pin 15A ones. 'Mate' those with suitable sockets and they'll sound WAYYY better than *any' fused 13A plug, no matter the construction! ;)

Marco.

P.S This thread should be in The Artist's Palette. I'll move it now.

The round pin plugs are best but i have loverly chrome plated wall sockets & can't have em..:(

Marco
07-12-2009, 00:01
Ah, I understand... :)

I used to use the 15A round-pins and sockets before I went the hard-wired route, and they were excellent. I've still got some plugs and sockets kicking around somewhere...

When you compare how a 15A round-pin plug 'grips' inside a round-pin socket, compared to 13A 'square'-pin versions, there's no comparison. The metal-to-metal contact area is far superior and overall more 'heavy-duty', primarily due to the former's higher amperage rating.

Marco.

Rare Bird
07-12-2009, 00:07
Ah, I understand... :)

I used to use the 15A round-pins and sockets before I went the hard-wired route, and they were excellent. I've still got some plugs and sockets kicking around somewhere...

When you compare how a 15A round-pin plug 'grips' inside a round-pin socket, compared to 13A 'square'-pin versions, there's no comparison. The metal-to-metal contact area is far superior and overall more 'heavy-duty', primarily due to the former's higher amperage rating.

Marco.

Very tru closes thing now are the Schuko plugs.Now you need to fit a balanced mains transformer between each piece of equipment & the wall..But don't kill yourself in the process.

Spectral Morn
07-12-2009, 00:22
neil i have the silver pin MK's the body of these plugs are shit compared to the older ones.

Hi Andre

The MKs I use are all about 20 years old (older are better still). I agree the more recent ones are poor in comparison.

Hi Marco

Round pin are very good, but way to much hassle to implement and then if you want to take a bit of kit somewhere else....:doh: You have to change the plug. Frankly I can't be bothered with that.

Regards D S D L

Marco
07-12-2009, 00:30
And I thought you were 'keen' - LOL! ;)

Marco.

Rare Bird
07-12-2009, 00:35
Hi Andre

The MKs I use are all about 20 years old (older are better still). I agree the more recent ones are poor in comparison.

Hi Neil
Aye i have one old 'Toughplug' the black covers are hard & shiney, these new ones are poor thin satin black, you can see the moulding pressure mark ontop, poor..I'm switching to Clipsal now..

Spectral Morn
07-12-2009, 10:56
And I thought you were 'keen' - LOL! ;)

Marco.

Oh...certainly I am keen as you put it, but I try to be practical as well. Changing the sockets for round ones and then rewiring all my kit with round 15 amp plugs would probably give me a small improvement in sound, but the impracticality of it out weighs in my mind any small advantage. I regularly borrow and swop kit about and from time to time take my gear elsewhere...this makes what you propose too much hassle. There is also the issue of trying to get my Anyalsis +, Audience, TCI, mains cables re-plugged and frankly some of those cables would not fit into a conventional plug.

I must say I also question the safety of using un-fussed plugs and wiring kit into the wall as you do. No fuses !..not wise (unless the gear has internal fusing and not all kit does). Theres the hassle of having to turn of the mains to dis-connect your kit too (I know some of it will have IEC sockets in the back, but not all kit has that). I just think thats to anal and too much grief for me...your choice though;), but not mine.

Regards D S D L

anthonyTD
07-12-2009, 13:42
hi all,
i agree a very neat idea for every day household items, but as far as audio is concerned IMHO if you need to use a plug then you cant beat the old MK ceramic types.
A...

aquapiranha
07-12-2009, 19:40
Might stop me standing on upturned plugs in the dark at 5 in the morning...

Nice.

anthonyTD
07-12-2009, 19:49
Might stop me standing on upturned plugs in the dark at 5 in the morning...

Nice.
ouch!!!:eek:
A...

Alex_UK
07-12-2009, 20:45
When my wife was single, she used to leave upturned plugs around the house as booby-traps for burglars - until she realised burglars are very rarely (if at all?) polite enough to take off their shoes when ransacking your home! :doh: bless, and yes - she is blonde!

Tripmaster
08-12-2009, 15:46
This design is brilliant :eyebrows:

Kris
08-12-2009, 17:09
I remember once I bought a very large connector block and wired everything to it. One plug, nice and tidy! I was totally shocked at how it changed the sound for the worse. And this wasn't a small change in sound, it was dramatically worse. So back to the extension leads/sockets sets, still ultimately all being fed from one 13amp plug/socket :scratch:

P.s. This new plug design deserves to sell in the millions.

MartinT
14-12-2009, 15:32
I strongly recommend Russ Andrews' silver fuses for 13A plugs. Gives a small but worthwhile improvement.

Barry
14-12-2009, 22:52
Are these plugs fused? Where is the fuse?

I like the idea of the neat multi-way adaptor.

Most of our (UK) plugs are designed so that the cable exits at right angles from the socket. This is deliberate; allowing the cable to fall to the ground neatly and the plug to be shallow so as to avoid a trip hazard and the opportunity for the plug to be knocked and damaged. Should the cable be yanked, the plugs are designed so that the live connection is broken first and the earth last.

In comparison with all other European mains plugs/sockets ours are far superior. Unfortunately these days you have to design for idiots, so the live and neutral pins of our plugs are now shrouded (preventing someone deliberately withdrawing the plug slightly and sticking a nail file or some such object across the pins), thus reducing the contact area with the socket.

The only criticism the EU has with our plugs is that when a plug is lying on the floor it is likely that it will lie with the pins facing upwards and present a hazard to those who walk around in stockinged feet. However in the spirit of 'equal inconvenience to all', the EU is trying to foist on us the horrid 16A plug and socket that you find on kettles and all hi fi gear!

The best BS1363 13A plug these days is made by Crabtree. MK went down hill years ago when they were bought out by Pillar.

Spectral Morn
14-12-2009, 23:23
Are these plugs fused? Where is the fuse?

I like the idea of the neat multi-way adaptor.

Most of our (UK) plugs are designed so that the cable exits at right angles from the socket. This is deliberate; allowing the cable to fall to the ground neatly and the plug to be shallow so as to avoid a trip hazard and the opportunity for the plug to be knocked and damaged. Should the cable be yanked, the plugs are designed so that the live connection is broken first and the earth last.

In comparison with all other European mains plugs/sockets ours are far superior. Unfortunately these days you have to design for idiots, so the live and neutral pins of our plugs are now shrouded (preventing someone deliberately withdrawing the plug slightly and sticking a nail file or some such object across the pins), thus reducing the contact area with the socket.

The only criticism the EU has with our plugs is that when a plug is lying on the floor it is likely that it will lie with the pins facing upwards and present a hazard to those who walk around in stockinged feet. However in the spirit of 'equal inconvenience to all', the EU is trying to foist on us the horrid 16A plug and socket that you find on kettles and all hi fi gear!

The best BS1363 13A plug these days is made by Crabtree. MK went down hill years ago when they were bought out by Pillar.

Hi Barry

Never tried CrabTree though I have heard for years that they are very good.

How was the holiday ?

Regards D S D L

sburrell
14-12-2009, 23:30
Look for the little red strip on the side. I think that's the fuse cap. Also, going from the design, what you say about the earth leaving the socket last would still be true in the multi-way design. Perhaps a locking mechanism for the multi-plug design would be a safety feature, though.