PDA

View Full Version : Big floor standers or small speakers with a sub...what's best ?

Jeff Wood
24-10-2016, 15:36
Hey guys, just been thinking...

I currently use a pair of Rega RS1's with a BK Electronics XXLS 400 sub, but I'm just not quite happy with the bass.

It's as if the speakers and sub just arnt quite working in harmony.

I do like fairly low bass, my music tastes are soul/funk/dance

So I'm just thinking should I just change to some big floor standers ??

years ago, I had a pair of TDL RTL3's and I remember really liking the bass from those speakers, so maybe a pair of Rega RS7's would be an idea as they're also a transmission line design.

Anyway, just some thoughts...

walpurgis
24-10-2016, 15:41
I think I agree with your thoughts on the RS7 speakers. Especially if you liked the TDL's.

rigger67
24-10-2016, 16:16
I've just made the switch from a pair of ProAc Tablette IIs with a sub to a modest pair of Celestion F30 (only £70 used) and the difference is staggering to me.

Admittedly, I've moved the room round a bit and placed them further apart for a wider soundstage and I've also placed them on marble blocks to help isolate the sound and stabilise them which probably also tightened the bass response.

Seriously, I won't be going back to monitor size speakers anytime soon ..

JohnJo
24-10-2016, 16:47
I love the RS1 but they are light weight, sonically. The RS3 are MUCH fuller sounding, completely different tonal balance, rich and musical but if it's party bass you want then the RS5 will not disappoint. They also project a massive sound stage in comparison to the other two and have better resolution but ultimately were too powerful in the bass for my smallish room. I was tempted though but went with the RS3.
I didn't fully realise what I was missing with the RS1 until I tried the RS3. Neither the 1s or 3s go LOUD though. Again you'll need the RS5 for that.
I've never heard the RS7.
Hope that helps.

Jeff Wood
24-10-2016, 17:24
cheers guys,

Johnjo, I would never use the RS1's without a sub, as yes theyre too lightweight for that, but theyre not bad with a sub, and they do go fairly loud before complaining :)

I think I'll keep an eye out for some RS7's...

Pete The Cat
25-10-2016, 07:30
I think it's one of the many trade-offs that we need to decide on for ourselves. My man cave is arguably a bit too small for floorstanders, but I want the right weight at the bottom end. I use PMC GB1is which are front ported and I reckon must be as small a floorstander as you can get (although their diminutive size was a bonus, I got them because their sound felt so right to me). As a result the compromise is that I don't play music in that room above a volume that would make normal conversation impossible in order to avoid boom. Soft furnishing, some acoustic foam treatment and busy shelves manage its behaviour and it's good for critical listening :hmm:

I leave the block-rocking to the 752Fs downstairs :eek:

Pete

Macca
25-10-2016, 07:37
How do you have the sub positioned Jeff?

bumpy
25-10-2016, 07:38
Big floor standers every time:
Totally package assembled by professionals and properly set up and optimised
Not DIY crossover
Bass in same plane as other drivers
Same amplifier
Lower floor space requirements
Better WAF
Fewer wires
Stereo, whereas many subs are mono and lose information.

Subs OK for TV sound, not music.

Marco
25-10-2016, 08:20
Neither! :ner:

If by "big floor standers" you mean the tall, silm-baffled, multiple small-driver speakers, typically seen in mags and dealers... See the other thread currently running about wide baffles, as to "what's best?" ;)

However, if pushed to choose between the categories you've offered, I'd generally go for the former (preferably if it was a sealed-box design. I'm not big on ports), as IME, subs rarely integrate properly with music, with the bass lagging behind everything else, unless a sub/satellite speaker system has been properly designed from the ground up by the one manufacturer.

Only then, when both have been designed to work together in unison, does that approach really work.

Marco.

Clive197
25-10-2016, 08:25
Big floor standers every time:
Totally package assembled by professionals and properly set up and optimised
Not DIY crossover
Bass in same plane as other drivers
Same amplifier
Lower floor space requirements
Better WAF
Fewer wires
Stereo, whereas many subs are mono and lose information.

Subs OK for TV sound, not music.

+1

In my experience subs in a dedicated stereo system rarely if ever intergrate.

Marco
25-10-2016, 08:32
"Better WAF"... What's that? :scratch:

Marco.

walpurgis
25-10-2016, 09:03
+1

In my experience subs in a dedicated stereo system rarely if ever intergrate.

I agree.

I've tried subs and heard many systems with them employed. The initial impression of extra wallop at the bottom end can be impressive, but eventually I get the feeling something is just not quite right.

bumpy
25-10-2016, 09:05
"Better WAF"... What's that? :scratch:

Marco.

Worked with my wife. She hated the pair of passive subs lurking in the corners of the room and the size of washing machines :)

Marco
25-10-2016, 09:13
Lol, Chris. I'm being every so slightly facetious ;)

Marco.

Jeff Wood
25-10-2016, 09:53
Thanks for all the replies chaps :)

I think I'm going to wait for a pair of Gloss Black RS7's to come along and go for it.

Although saying all this, bit of a strange thing has happened....yesterday when I started this post I'd just installed my new bearing (Ianmac) and I felt that the bass just wasn't right, too lean and just not really nice. But this morning after leaving it spinning all night it seems to be transformed !

I can't believe what a difference that bit of running in a bearing has made, honestly it's witchcraft !

So I'm happy again.

Clive197
25-10-2016, 10:07
Doesn't surprise me Jeff. Bearings need to be run-in to allow them to settle in to there surroundings. Remember when we all had to drive our new cars slowly so that everything can be smoothed out.

CageyH
25-10-2016, 10:20
Integrating a sub into a system is not easy.
Most are set to do too much and their presence is too easy to identify.

Mine is set almost perfectly and you would struggle to tell it is there. It has taken me months to get to this stage though.

Shari
25-10-2016, 11:25
Hi

I have owned the RS1, RS3, RS5 and RS7. For me the speaker that gave the best bass response was the RS5. When I moved to the RS7 I found it was a bit disappointing, especially in the bass response compared to the RS5. I now have a pair of RX3s, in a much smaller room though, and they sound great.

Jeff Wood
25-10-2016, 11:28
that's interesting, I always thought the RS7 would be best because of its transmission line design.

I havnt even looked at the new RX series, I'll do that now. cheers

Firebottle
25-10-2016, 15:31
Integrating a sub into a system is not easy.
Most are set to do too much and their presence is too easy to identify.

Mine is set almost perfectly and you would struggle to tell it is there. It has taken me months to get to this stage though.

Totally agree, with the same ultimate achievement. :)

moo-fi
25-10-2016, 15:44
Big speakers and a sub, that way the sub is doing just low bass duties and not having to work up in the lower mid range where they make themselves noticed very quickly.

09mike69
26-10-2016, 20:15
haha, i too have wrestled with this old chestnut... had a pair of B&W 601's, loved the mid n top and the stereo seperation but not quite enough bass for the room size i was using them in, pissed about for ages trying to integrate them with me subby, but could not crack it.... heard a mates 603 floorstanders and was very impressed...but 601's n a cheap sub....poor mans 603's. tip.. start at zero and slowly work up from there.

smithie
08-11-2016, 10:26
i think if the small satellite/stand mount speakers can give a decent output and response down to around 80hz,then a bookshelf /sub system would be my choice:),you can usually blend in quite well around that point if the room allows,also found non ported speakers easier to blend in to subs as well.
of course im talking about a decent sub being used,not some cheap crap thats used in a cheapo surround system.
had some good results with the b.k electronic range.
i went through a spell of single ended valve amps,they where great,but no hope in hell of getting a decent grip on some big driver floor standers of average sensitivity,but give them a easier time and a day off low bass duties and let a sub take care of that,then they would sing quite well with a bigger range of speakers:)
it can certainly take alot of playing and adjusting along with the temptation to "hear the sub",but when set well you should never here the sub....you should just feel the force...."emmm ,the force is strong in this one":lol::lol::lol:

to recap...
no right or wrong,good or bad or ultimate solution,its all just swings and roundabouts and what sounds best to you:D

regards
smithie