PDA

View Full Version : Japanese audio equipment in the UK

Bigman80
20-10-2016, 12:29
Hi all,

Probably the wrong area so apologies in advance.

I'm bordering on buying a Japanese imported TT. I've done some research and it seem too easy to buy a voltage adapter, plug in and play.

Has anyone on here gone down this route ? What experience did you have with it ?

Thanks

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

karma67
20-10-2016, 15:50
i bought a japan only turntable it just plugs into a little transformer which plugs into a shaving type 2 pin plug and works a treat,no problems at all.

Bigman80
20-10-2016, 16:41
Excellent news. Thanks.

paulf-2007
20-10-2016, 19:40
Airlink transformers UK JA0050. Plugs into uk socket has two pin socket for Japanese plug. Bought one for my Denon DP80, sorted.

Bigman80
20-10-2016, 20:18
That's awesome. Thanks paulf

Beobloke
20-10-2016, 21:42
It's funny you should ask this now, as the FedEx man called at Beobloke Towers today and left a box from Japan...

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/Beobloke/PS-X9_1_zpshhvhghzh.jpg (http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/Beobloke/media/PS-X9_1_zpshhvhghzh.jpg.html)

As to my experience, it was as follows:

Dealing with Hi-Fi Do - An absolute pleasure
Waiting for the box to make it all the way from Japan - Exciting
Wondering why the box sat in Stansted for 5 days - Agonising
Getting a call from FedEx and paying the import duty - Painful!
Finally unwrapping my new toy - Amazing.

Ultimately, if you deal with someone like Hi-Fi Do, they make the whole thing easy. Just don't forget to allow that dreaded import duty, which will obviously be the VAT on the item, plus an administration charge from the courier. As to the power adapters, I also use items from Airlink transformers and they are excellent - well built and silent in operation.

I'd love to say I'm happily playing with my new toy but, sadly, it doesn't work. Not only does it not work, but Hi-Fi Do had a go at fixing it and were unable to. Buying this thing may well be the craziest thing I've ever done. Wish me luck...

Bigman80
20-10-2016, 23:01
Sweet Jesus !! I'm on tenterhooks !!

Yes, I'd forgotten the import duty which look like it'll set me back £100. I'm buying off eBay so I have a bit of comeback if there is an issue. Exciting - yes nerve wracking - yes. Expensive - more than I thought. Oh well. I'll have to do an extra day at work !!

glad to hear the airlink are well recommended. I've just bought one.

mikeyb
21-10-2016, 07:26
I got hit for £18 extra on a £55 purchase :(

DSJR
21-10-2016, 07:32
Better to get the Europeanised version from eBay in Germany. The German market had a lot of the good stuff that was denied the UK market, which was polarising (Linn/Naim) and then collapsing long before CD came along and bolstered things for a bit :(

Be warned. The far east made some expensive clunkers too, with flash front panels and slick switching. Even Luxman and Accuphase were not immune I remember.........

Bigman80
21-10-2016, 18:27
Bad news !!! The sale has fallen through !!!! I'm gutted but just wanted to say thanks for everyone's input

Beobloke
22-10-2016, 14:40
What was it?

Bigman80
22-10-2016, 19:42
Sony PS-X75. Not the end of the world. Probably invest in a new cartridge

Mika K
23-10-2016, 08:24
Just keep on looking, it will come to you sooner or later.

Fulci
23-10-2016, 09:29
It's not difficult to get a PS-x75 in Europe. As previously recommended, look on German eBay, they come up often. I have a PS-X6 and it has a switch in the rear for 110-220v, check of the X75 also has it. If I'm not mistaken, the PS-X75 comes with a biotracer tonearm, while in theory must be terrific and I'm sure it will play great, some versions tend to give some problems, and when it goes, I think it's impossible to rebuild it. Beware of that or get a PS-X65... Sony turntables are very very good.

Bigman80
23-10-2016, 10:58
I don't think many people could revive a biotracer lol. Ye, I'll have a look on German eBay in that case.

struth
23-10-2016, 11:02
Biotracers are getting old, and when the arm goes, then your pretty much stuck. Sony had specially trained folk who set them up. More and more coming on market now as they are beginning to become unreliable. Fancied one myself but resisted due to this. Its a lot of cash to go down toilet for likes of me....too much!

Bigman80
23-10-2016, 11:08
German eBay is awesome !!!! It's a bit pricey for me at the minute but I'll definitely keep looking

Bigman80
23-10-2016, 13:53
Biotracers are getting old, and when the arm goes, then your pretty much stuck. Sony had specially trained folk who set them up. More and more coming on market now as they are beginning to become unreliable. Fancied one myself but resisted due to this. Its a lot of cash to go down toilet for likes of me....too much!
That's a very valid point.

walpurgis
23-10-2016, 13:59
That's a very valid point.

So's this, :D

http://i67.tinypic.com/50s10k.jpg

Bigman80
23-10-2016, 14:35
Lmao. Bought a lightly used ortofon vivo red and going to get a demo Firebottle step up unit to cheer myself up. Can't have it until Christmas day though. The gaffer (wife) doesn't negotiate lol

struth
23-10-2016, 14:48
A tt in its self wont really improve things initially until the cart/phono amp is at right levels. Get those 2 right and any decent deck will sound great

Beobloke
23-10-2016, 15:07
Sorry, but the nonsense about Biotracers being unrepairable is exactly that - nonsense. I bought my PS-B80 non working and it is now repaired - it needed three new capacitors, one easily available IC and some solder re- work. The problem is that it took the friend who fixed it three days to fault-find it using the telephone book thick service manual, whereas the actual repair took about an hour!
Unfortunately the people who will do this sort of thing are very few and far between and so they either say no or quote a price high enough to put you off. As it is, the chap who repaired mine will do anyone's - he's done 4 other Biotracers that I know of!

Bigman80
23-10-2016, 15:22
Yeah to be fair, Firebottle is probably another who could fix it but the TT I have is right up there in term of performance. It was just an itch I felt I could scratch. Other areas can be improved in my setup for less than the price of that don't TT too so I'm gonna go down that route.

struth
23-10-2016, 15:32
Sorry, but the nonsense about Biotracers being unrepairable is exactly that - nonsense. I bought my PS-B80 non working and it is now repaired - it needed three new capacitors, one easily available IC and some solder re- work. The problem is that it took the friend who fixed it three days to fault-find it using the telephone book thick service manual, whereas the actual repair took about an hour!
Unfortunately the people who will do this sort of thing are very few and far between and so they either say no or quote a price high enough to put you off. As it is, the chap who repaired mine will do anyone's - he's done 4 other Biotracers that I know of!

Depends whats wrong with the arm tbh, and if anyone has adjested it in an attempt to fix. Not unfixable but hard to get done.

Arkless Electronics
23-10-2016, 15:44
I will usually take on "impossible" repairs and have a long record of success with such things but the service is really only suitable for people who are determined to have something fixed at any cost. EG Beobloke said his mate had fixed one of these biotracer arms but it was so difficult it took 3 days to find the fault and an hour to fix it.... this is about normal for something like this. I would charge for the full 3 days and the bill would be payable even if I can't fix it.

Bigman80
23-10-2016, 16:14
Ye, it looks like it's more trouble than it's worth.

RMutt
23-10-2016, 16:35
Hello Oliver. The PS-X70 I bought from you is still not fixed. It was away for six months and the guy still couldn't fathom it. He came well recommended, but because of the huge number of discrete components and complex issues with power supplies going all over the place he gave up eventually. I even bought the service book from America. Still at least he didn't charge me anything. I thought of trying Jez but not I'm sure if I want to pay for his time if it doesn't end up repaired.

Arkless Electronics
23-10-2016, 17:52
Hello Oliver. The PS-X70 I bought from you is still not fixed. It was away for six months and the guy still couldn't fathom it. He came well recommended, but because of the huge number of discrete components and complex issues with power supplies going all over the place he gave up eventually. I even bought the service book from America. Still at least he didn't charge me anything. I thought of trying Jez but not I'm sure if I want to pay for his time if it doesn't end up repaired.

It's very unusual for something to end up unpaired but it is always a possibility. If I can't charge for my work unless I'm successful then there is no reason for me to spend more than 20 minutes having a cursory glance at something and then give up if it is not bloody obvious what the fault is straight away!!

It is the norm for it to take hours (sometimes days) to find a tricky fault and then minutes to fix it when its found.... very, very rarely the fault may never be found despite ones best efforts... less rare but still a possibility is that the fault, when found, turns out to be a part which just isn't available any more for love nor money... end of line for that repair...

If one hired a top medical consultant on a private basis to try and cure someone then you would expect to pay for the doctors best efforts and years of experience even if the patient died or the conclusion was that it's incurable... would one not.....?

Bigman80
23-10-2016, 18:21
Oh no !! That's very disappointing to hear. It's still a marvelous unit though. I'm sure Jez will sort it out if you ask. He's very good from what I've read.

karma67
23-10-2016, 18:29
thats one of the reasons i went for a simpler early pioneer direct drive,fingers crossed so far :)

Bigman80
23-10-2016, 18:45
My Toshiba is simple but very good. Have to say thanks to Walpurgis for the advice. Looking forward to hearing a MC on it.

walpurgis
23-10-2016, 19:11
My Toshiba is simple but very good.

Bit of an understatement Oliver. The SR-370 will comfortably hold its own in company with a Garrard or Linn and wipe the floor with a standard Techie.

karma67
23-10-2016, 19:32
sweet as,i like statements like 'wipe the floor with them' especially where an lp12 is involved!

Bigman80
23-10-2016, 19:41
Bit of an understatement Oliver. The SR-370 will comfortably hold its own in company with a Garrard or Linn and wipe the floor with a standard Techie.
I haven't got mine to the same level as yours yet but I take your word as gospel.

walpurgis
23-10-2016, 19:48
sweet as,i like statements like 'wipe the floor with them' especially where an lp12 is involved!

Re-read what I said Jamie.

karma67
23-10-2016, 19:57
opps,my bad :)

Bigman80
23-10-2016, 20:40
Lol

Beobloke
25-10-2016, 17:43
Another Jap turntable needing a a step-down transformer arrived today. I really need to stop now...

karma67
25-10-2016, 17:52
what have you got?
despite thoroughly enjoying my pioneer plc-1700 i have an itch to get a pl-590

Bigman80
25-10-2016, 19:41
Oooo pl590 is beautiful.

Beobloke
25-10-2016, 22:17
what have you got?
despite thoroughly enjoying my pioneer plc-1700 i have an itch to get a pl-590

Today's arrival is a Yamaha PX-3. Last week's box from Hi-Fi Do contained a Sony PS-X9.

As to the Pioneer, I assume you mean the PLC-590, which is a superb deck? The PL-590 is just generic BPC!

walpurgis
25-10-2016, 22:29
All this reminds me. I must get around to refurbishing my late sixties PL-61.

Not direct drive maybe, but magificent nonetheless.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2z5snly.jpg

Excuse the dust round the edges.

struth
25-10-2016, 22:36
Pretty deck that. has shades of a 401 in the styling I think.

walpurgis
25-10-2016, 22:38
Pretty deck that. has shades of a 401 in the styling I think.

It is a separate motor unit like the 401. But belt drive with a whopping Hall Effect motor instead.

Bigman80
25-10-2016, 23:00
Ps-x9 !!!!!! Sweet Christmas !!! How much did that set you back (excuse my cheek) that is one fine piece of equipment.

Beobloke
26-10-2016, 12:04
Ps-x9 !!!!!! Sweet Christmas !!! How much did that set you back (excuse my cheek) that is one fine piece of equipment.

I'll answer that question in two halves, if I may:

(1) A heck of a lot more than one should ever pay for something rare that doesn't work and will allegedly (if you believe the hype) never work again.

(2) A heck of a lot less than the working one currently for sale in Germany! :D

Quite pretty, though...

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/Beobloke/PS-X9_3_zps72d8uhbf.jpg (http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/Beobloke/media/PS-X9_3_zps72d8uhbf.jpg.html)

Bigman80
26-10-2016, 12:15
Wait? It doesn't work at present ?

Bigman80
26-10-2016, 12:16
It is beautiful though

Beobloke
26-10-2016, 13:23
Wait? It doesn't work at present ?

No. I bought it from Hi-Fi Do and they tried to get it working but were unable to. If nothing else it'll make a nice paperweight, I suppose...

Bigman80
26-10-2016, 14:41
Wow. I hope you get it going. Would be a shame for such a beast to never run again.

Bigman80
27-10-2016, 22:52
http://m.ebay.de/itm/Sony-PS-X800-/282203415561?nav=SEARCH

doodoos
28-10-2016, 07:40
If you want Japanese goods Best Buy soon as the yen is trading around 125 to the £ down from around 160 months ago. Was over there last week and bugger me the place is expensive. Lots of bowing which is nice though.

Bigman80
28-10-2016, 10:57
If you want Japanese goods Best Buy soon as the yen is trading around 125 to the £ down from around 160 months ago. Was over there last week and bugger me the place is expensive. Lots of bowing which is nice though.
Thanks for that advice. Ill keep it in mind. Not looking for anything at the minute. When I am it'll probably cost a fortune lol

Bigman80
28-10-2016, 16:57
Ok, so not Japanese but i did follow the advice and have a look around eBay.de. I ended up buying this beauty. I know its probably not considered HI-End but it is a bit of kit ive always wanted to own. Thanks for the advice and direction to eBay.de CAN'T WAIT !!!

Dont think it will fit on my unit lol

Gordon Steadman
28-10-2016, 17:08
I have a pair of their ES speakers and they are much better than I expected. I also have a fairly lowly Sony amp - TA-F300 - and it sounds very good. Yours should be fantastic. Japanese electronics are gaining some supporters in this household now we have escaped the old flat earth British is best stuff. There is good everywhere as well as dross.

struth
28-10-2016, 17:11
got an es 940 sony amp. its very good, although its not getting use currently.

Bigman80
28-10-2016, 17:43
I have a pair of their ES speakers and they are much better than I expected. I also have a fairly lowly Sony amp - TA-F300 - and it sounds very good. Yours should be fantastic. Japanese electronics are gaining some supporters in this household now we have escaped the old flat earth British is best stuff. There is good everywhere as well as dross.
Ooow ES speakers. Maybe they're next on the list lol.

I've always loved Sony gear. my NAD 312 has been a quality purchase for £31. I've had it for about 2 years and only recently wanted to upgrade so it must be a good amp.

Bigman80
28-10-2016, 17:43
got an es 940 sony amp. its very good, although its not getting use currently.
Was that the QS ? I remember you buying one a while back.

struth
28-10-2016, 17:50
actually I cant remember if its a QS or ES tbh. Not much difference really. Nice heavy unit with 80 watts so too powerfull for my speakers tbh. Would work but might destroy the speakers if it accidentally went too high. I got it as I wanted the RC but my new speakers are 97db so only need a little power. 20 watts is fine tops really, and probably only use 4/5 watts at which time your eardrums are toast ;)

Bigman80
28-10-2016, 18:00
actually I cant remember if its a QS or ES tbh. Not much difference really. Nice heavy unit with 80 watts so too powerfull for my speakers tbh. Would work but might destroy the speakers if it accidentally went too high. I got it as I wanted the RC but my new speakers are 97db so only need a little power. 20 watts is fine tops really, and probably only use 4/5 watts at which time your eardrums are toast ;)
Sounds like you've got everything the way you want it. Miss the Thorens at all ?

Beobloke
28-10-2016, 18:00
Wow. I hope you get it going. Would be a shame for such a beast to never run again.

Just had a phone call. It still needs a little more fine tuning, but the PS-X9 is now working once more! :champagne: :yay:

walpurgis
28-10-2016, 18:10
Ooow ES speakers. Maybe they're next on the list lol.

If you fancy Japanese speakers. Take a look at vintage Technics models. They made some great stuff.

These are the SB-M300.

http://i67.tinypic.com/okvp00.jpg

That's a 12" bass driver by the way.

Bigman80
28-10-2016, 18:51
Just had a phone call. It still needs a little more fine tuning, but the PS-X9 is now working once more! :champagne: :yay:
Yessss!!!! I'm really pleased for you. Fantastic unit. Bit Jealous to be fair lol

Bigman80
28-10-2016, 18:52
If you fancy Japanese speakers. Take a look at vintage Technics models. They made some great stuff.

These are the SB-M300.

http://i67.tinypic.com/okvp00.jpg

That's a 12" bass driver by the way.
Hahahaha Good grief. Will the wall mount lol.

RobbieGong
28-10-2016, 18:58

That's a result Adam. I sincerely hope it gets sorted properly. You'll be aware that it is one of the best players ever made as vintage knob also say too. Well pleased for ya :) http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X9.html

Bigman80
28-10-2016, 19:32
That's a result Adam. I sincerely hope it gets sorted properly. You'll be aware that it is one of the best players ever made as vintage knob also say too. Well pleased for ya :) http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X9.html
Might be worth sharing your technicians details. Few guys on here could use his expertise.

Bigman80
28-10-2016, 23:28
http://www.hifido.co.jp/KW/G/P0/A10/E/1550-50/S0/C16-05432-92572-00/

I'm now looking out for Japanese speakers. These are beasties. Too big for my house

walpurgis
28-10-2016, 23:33
Check out vintage Misubishi and Hitachi speakers. Some of those were very good, but not many people know about them. My daughter has a largish pair of Mitsubishis upstairs in her bedroom with ten inch Diatone bass units, they are damn good.

Arkless Electronics
28-10-2016, 23:44
Check out the top of the range Technics speakers from about '82.... saw and heard em at Harrogate show. very nice. Huge things with horn mid and treble and IIRC 15" bass units!

Bigman80
29-10-2016, 03:58
Will do. Thanks guys

Bigman80
29-10-2016, 14:18
Has anyone owned a pair of these ?

http://www.hifido.co.jp/KWdiatone/G1/P0/A10/E/0-10/S0/C16-07024-08871-00/

Diatone are a division of Mitsubishi ?

walpurgis
29-10-2016, 15:03

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatone

Bigman80
29-10-2016, 15:22
forgot about wikipedia !

struth
29-10-2016, 15:25
Has anyone owned a pair of these ?

http://www.hifido.co.jp/KWdiatone/G1/P0/A10/E/0-10/S0/C16-07024-08871-00/

Pretty nice speakers with matching stands too.

Bigman80
29-10-2016, 15:43
Pretty nice speakers with matching stands too.

Ye they do look good indeed. I am planning on converting my unused garage into a listening room (some time away from now) so looking into something a bit special......im favouring Sony - G7's at the minute.

Macca
29-10-2016, 19:43
...im favouring Sony - G7's at the minute.

They look good. Do yo know where you can get some?

Bigman80
29-10-2016, 21:20
Www.Hifido.jp have them but they aren't cheap.

Macca
29-10-2016, 22:07
You can read Japanese?

Bigman80
29-10-2016, 23:11
You can read Japanese?
Lol no ?

http://www.hifido.co.jp/KW/G/P0/A10/E/0-10/S0/

Its in English.

Beobloke
31-10-2016, 09:37

The deck is now home and in full working order. Turned out to be a handful of transistors and op-amps causing the problem - even worse, some of the op-amps had already been replaced, but by the wrong parts, which made things worse!

walpurgis
31-10-2016, 09:41
The deck is now home and in full working order. Turned out to be a handful of transistors and op-amps causing the problem - even worse, some of the op-amps had already been replaced, but by the wrong parts, which made things worse!

Well that's good. It's a heck of a chunk of engineering. Hope it wasn't too expensive to sort out.

Bigman80
31-10-2016, 19:25
I've had an amp bought for me from the Netherlands. I was told i only needed to fit a new plug and everything would work as it should (not by the seller). I am a bit concerned though because as you know, in England we use 240v however the amp clearly states 220v. I've had a look around the web and cant seem to get a definitive answer.

Do i need a step down transformer between the Amp and Power point.

Arkless Electronics
31-10-2016, 19:35
I've had an amp bought for me from the Netherlands. I was told i only needed to fit a new plug and everything would work as it should (not by the seller). I am a bit concerned though because as you know, in England we use 240v however the amp clearly states 220v. I've had a look around the web and cant seem to get a definitive answer.

Do i need a step down transformer between the Amp and Power point.

It's not really possible to give a definitive answer to this as it varies from unit to unit.. The 20V excess is not that much and if the unit is conservatively designed and rated then you should be ok. If however it is operating "close to the edge" even on 220V then it's not so good! Are you sure it can't be converted for 220V anyway? Many units have internal means of setting to 220V, 110V etc but not all. What is it and I'll have a quick look at what info is available, as in a circuit diagram.

Bigman80
31-10-2016, 19:47
It's not really possible to give a definitive answer to this as it varies from unit to unit.. The 20V excess is not that much and if the unit is conservatively designed and rated then you should be ok. If however it is operating "close to the edge" even on 220V then it's not so good! Are you sure it can't be converted for 220V anyway? Many units have internal means of setting to 220V, 110V etc but not all. What is it and I'll have a quick look at what info is available, as in a circuit diagram.

Thanks Arkless, Its a Sony TAF730SE

Arkless Electronics
31-10-2016, 20:00
OK well unfortunately it is not possible to reset your model to 240V. A suitable transformer/auto transformer or variac to set it to 220V would be best. It will probably run fine on 240V but long term reliability may be compromised.

RobbieGong
31-10-2016, 20:08
I had a similar issue with a Sony 700ES that I had sent over from Germany a few years back. It too was 220v and some consensus was that I should first measure my mains which I did. My mains went from 220 - 230 but overall stayed in the mid to high 220's.
As such I was told that the amp would be ok as 10% was within tolerance. Didn't have it long but it played fine and didnt get too hot.
It still bugged me that it wasnt a 230-240v amp though as not the ideal.

Bigman80
31-10-2016, 20:09
OK well unfortunately it is not possible to reset your model to 240V. A suitable transformer/auto transformer or variac to set it to 220V would be best. It will probably run fine on 240V but long term reliability may be compromised.

Ok, where can i get one from. Ive done a search but im coming up blank

Bigman80
31-10-2016, 20:11
I had a similar issue with a Sony 700ES that I had sent over from Germany a few years back. It too was 220v and some consensus was that I should first measure my mains which I did. My mains went from 220 - 230 but overall stayed in the mid to high 220's.
As such I was told that the amp would be ok as 10% was within tolerance. Didn't have it long but it played fine and didnt get too hot.
It still bugged me that it wasnt a 230-240v amp though as not the ideal.

How did you measure it ?

Arkless Electronics
31-10-2016, 20:16
http://uk.farnell.com/vigortronix/vtx-186-500/transformer-auto-500va/dp/1826246

RobbieGong
31-10-2016, 20:18
How did you measure it ?

A forum member lent me one of these - easy peasey plug in http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/13a-plug-i...aYZxoCwgHw_wcB

walpurgis
31-10-2016, 20:23
I've got a 2amp variac going spare. Nice hefty, well made unit. Would need housing in a case. It's new as far as I know.

Bigman80
31-10-2016, 20:35
Holy Christmas!!!!! its £30 to convert 240v to 110v but £100+ to reduce it by 20v!!!!

Bigman80
31-10-2016, 20:36
I've got a 2amp variac going spare. Nice hefty, well made unit. Would need housing in a case. It's new as far as I know.

you are a legend matey. i'll PM you

karma67
31-10-2016, 20:44
if its from germany you dont need to bother

Bigman80
31-10-2016, 21:18
if its from germany you dont need to bother

its from holland. not sure of the origin country but i presume germany. how sure are you?

struth
31-10-2016, 21:28
its pushing it running 220 off 240 tbh, but you can do it. Might eventually blow up though. getting a 230 regenerator would solve the issue as 10v is ok. but geoffs ariac will give you an exact. need to know how to wire it etc and put safety gear on like fuses and sockets etc. make sure its earthed etc. buy a box and maybe other bits. I did one a few years ago and even though I got the tx cheap, from a member, with all the bits it cost a fair bit extra. Works very well and is also usefull for any voltage. Im using mine on a 100v japanese amp currently

Bigman80
31-10-2016, 21:32
Thanks Grant

hermit
31-10-2016, 22:46
A forum member lent me one of these - easy peasey plug in http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/13a-plug-i...aYZxoCwgHw_wcB

link not working

Bigman80
01-11-2016, 01:10
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322296903362

Found this on eBay and I'm wondering if this would work? Is the wattage too high ? Would be easier than trying to not kill myself with a Variac.

karma67
01-11-2016, 04:29
its from holland. not sure of the origin country but i presume germany. how sure are you?
i typed on google 'will german electrical goods work in the uk' simples :)

Firebottle
01-11-2016, 06:45
PM sent Oliver
:)

Bigman80
01-11-2016, 08:17
i typed on google 'will german electrical goods work in the uk' simples :)
Ha, yes I did the same. Off to see Alan (Firebottle) when it arrives. He's more than qualified to check !!!

Bigman80
02-11-2016, 21:12
The Sony is now in the UK according to the tracking info. I'm very excited. Thinking I might build a wall shelf for the TT. Anybody built their own wall shelf before ?

Bigman80
03-11-2016, 11:56
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161103/a3a8884cb0116e34e8d8e7d77115c90c.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161103/e4e6b2454bac9a3e02c24e15601e216c.jpg

It's here and it's rather stunning !!!!

Bigman80
03-11-2016, 11:57
Second image is lifted From Google.

Arkless Electronics
03-11-2016, 13:29
I would expect this to be very good indeed from a look at the circuit diagram.... Separate power supplies for the output stage, regulated supplies for everything else, phono stage looks like it could be the equal of a £500 stand-alone unit. Nice:)

Firebottle
03-11-2016, 13:50
Do you think it is going to be OK on 245V Jez, looking at the diagram?

Bigman80
03-11-2016, 13:54
I would expect this to be very good indeed from a look at the circuit diagram.... Separate power supplies for the output stage, regulated supplies for everything else, phono stage looks like it could be the equal of a £500 stand-alone unit. Nice:)
Thanks Jez. I'm very excited to try it but I won't be plugging it in until I know I won't blow it up lol.

Arkless Electronics
03-11-2016, 14:22
Do you think it is going to be OK on 245V Jez, looking at the diagram?

A cautious yes. Both the OPS caps and the ones for the rest of the unit are rated 63V. The amp is rated 105WPC and uses two pairs of bipolars so that would mean B+/- rails around 48V so sufficient headroom there. OPS bias is fairly low so it should be pretty cool running. There are more fusible resistors than you can shake a stick at;)

Bigman80
03-11-2016, 14:28
In your expert opinions (Alan and Jez) can I plug this in and enjoy it or is it going to bust into flames ?

struth
03-11-2016, 14:33
No guarentees but i doubt it will burst into flames. It should handle 10% being a Sony, but i wouldnt turn the wick up too much, or be happy running it for ever that way. Ive ran 220v valve amps on 240 odd and been ok, although valves glowed a bit brighter. Again i didnt do it for long periods.
At least its got good protection

Arkless Electronics
03-11-2016, 14:45
In your expert opinions (Alan and Jez) can I plug this in and enjoy it or is it going to bust into flames ?

From me that's a yes. Go for it and use as normal.

Bigman80
03-11-2016, 14:58
Top man. Thanks Jez. Now for Alans opinion..........

Bigman80
03-11-2016, 15:00
Cheers Grant, Ill probably just give it a test to make sure everything works as im off to see Firebottle with the amp on Monday. I would rest easier knowing it had been rectified in some way.

karma67
03-11-2016, 15:23
Welcome to the Es club, they are great amps !

Bigman80
03-11-2016, 15:55
Welcome to the Es club, they are great amps !

Thanks !!!! its great to FINALLY be here haha. really looking forward to hearing it.

Gordon Steadman
03-11-2016, 16:05
Cheers Grant, Ill probably just give it a test to make sure everything works as im off to see Firebottle with the amp on Monday. I would rest easier knowing it had been rectified in some way.
You will then have no problems. Alan's soldering iron was made in Valhalla and had fairy dust sprinkled in the mix. He just looked at one of our Pioneer amps and it gave up in terror and started working again. If he had waived the soldering iron too, it would have developed an extra few watts as well.

I was very grateful that he allowed us to know him:lol:

Bigman80
03-11-2016, 16:14
You're absolutely correct Gordon. The man is a legend. Fixed a couple of items for me and it only ever cost me a doughnut. He's a top man indeed.

You will then have no problems. Alan's soldering iron was made in Valhalla and had fairy dust sprinkled in the mix. He just looked at one of our Pioneer amps and it gave up in terror and started working again. If he had waived the soldering iron too, it would have developed an extra few watts as well.

I was very grateful that he allowed us to know him[emoji38]

walpurgis
03-11-2016, 16:30
From me that's a yes. Go for it and use as normal.

Buzz crackle BANG! ;) :D

Just kidding!

Gordon Steadman
03-11-2016, 16:36
You're absolutely correct Gordon. The man is a legend. Fixed a couple of items for me and it only ever cost me a doughnut. He's a top man indeed.

Typical, fame going to his head so he puts his prices up:eyebrows:

Bigman80
03-11-2016, 16:39

Just kidding!
Cruel

Bigman80
03-11-2016, 16:39
Typical, fame going to his head so he puts his prices up:eyebrows:
Hahaha.

struth
03-11-2016, 17:04

Just kidding!

You mean. KABLAMMO :eyebrows:

Firebottle
03-11-2016, 17:29
It has to be jam doughnuts though :drool:

Being a Sony I don't see that there will be any problems.

Bigman80
03-11-2016, 17:33
It has to be jam doughnuts though :drool:

Being a Sony I don't see that there will be any problems.

Jam doughnuts it is !!!!!

Bigman80
03-11-2016, 23:56
I've put a plug on it and plugged my laptop in to test it. The harmonica on blue bayou - Roy Orbison is exquisite. Wow. Is all i can say. And that just with my headphones and a laptop.

Bigman80
04-11-2016, 16:06
Had to build a wall shelf to accommodate the Sony. It's huge !!! Turned out ok I think. Cost £33 all in. Not bad at all

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161104/8ab5f7a9b7ba4c93f30227ac5077ea39.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161104/9d7b3a99420631a5e0165837c32fa548.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161104/e46dc994f6897bd620821368341bb534.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161104/33d0b46f5545c6463549338006ececf8.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161104/2bf47bb2f9c3c7c3feabb978cc8e4751.jpg

Gordon Steadman
06-11-2016, 11:12
Well, actually, Japanese equipment in France!

In case you hadn't noticed, the temperature out there is dropping a bit. As we are contemplating moving to the Islands or Highlands in the next couple of years, we keep an eye on the weather oop there. It's colder here by quite a bit although it gets much hotter in the summer.

Anyway, as the house is not yet finished, the lounge only gets used from the spring to the autumn so in the winter we decamp into the snug with the logburner roaring away merrily. Upstairs, it's thermals time if you want to listen to the main system.

Thought I'd try Ronnie's Pioneer this year instead of the Sony. Apart from the hernia after carrying it downstairs, really impressed (have to change the table I think, it's likely to collapse). It's one of the amps that I very rarely listen to. Ronnie has it in one of the bedrooms for music whilst she's doing her ballet practice - good way of keeping in shape!

It is a little brighter than I am used to but boy does it do detail and bottom end. Even through the KEF 101s, it has real clout and shakes the room nicely - sorry neighbours. Midrange is clear too, after the Sony, it is as if a slight fog has lifted. We will see if I still like it as much long term as it's so easy to be impressed with hi-fi and then find it wearing or boring eventually.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5768/30176062783_65273195a2.jpg

Bigman80
06-11-2016, 13:40
Well, actually, Japanese equipment in France!

In case you hadn't noticed, the temperature out there is dropping a bit. As we are contemplating moving to the Islands or Highlands in the next couple of years, we keep an eye on the weather oop there. It's colder here by quite a bit although it gets much hotter in the summer.

Anyway, as the house is not yet finished, the lounge only gets used from the spring to the autumn so in the winter we decamp into the snug with the logburner roaring away merrily. Upstairs, it's thermals time if you want to listen to the main system.

Thought I'd try Ronnie's Pioneer this year instead of the Sony. Apart from the hernia after carrying it downstairs, really impressed (have to change the table I think, it's likely to collapse). It's one of the amps that I very rarely listen to. Ronnie has it in one of the bedrooms for music whilst she's doing her ballet practice - good way of keeping in shape!

It is a little brighter than I am used to but boy does it do detail and bottom end. Even through the KEF 101s, it has real clout and shakes the room nicely - sorry neighbours. Midrange is clear too, after the Sony, it is as if a slight fog has lifted. We will see if I still like it as much long term as it's so easy to be impressed with hi-fi and then find it wearing or boring eventually.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5768/30176062783_65273195a2.jpg
Wow, that looks HUGE lol. I heard a pioneer A400 (I think) and it sounded Very bright indeed. I also wasn't very keen on the fact it had no tone controls lol. I've never seen your model before, keep us posted on the long term effects !!!!

Gordon Steadman
06-11-2016, 13:44
My wife, whose ears are rather better than mine says that the treble is terrific not too sharp at all. So it's down to me being basically, a deaf old git.

It is a bit bigger than some:) I was just playing Killing me softly and the bass drum really hits the stomach. Bloody impressive for such small speakers. Definitely a good amp. Ronnie wasn't that impressed that I swapped it for the Sony but it only has to drive JBLs up there not proper speakers like the KEFs!!

Gordon Steadman
06-11-2016, 14:44
I have to admit, I'm a bit love with this amp!! The main source in the snug is the Mac with an external DAC. I connected up my second tier TT (Sansui DD with OL modded Rega 250) and have been playing Ron Carter - Yellow and Green.

Very very nice indeed. This record is a good test for deep clean bass and the Pioneer passed this exam. Maybe I won't miss the main system as much as I feared.

Bigman80
06-11-2016, 19:07
Excellent. I may have to keep my eye open for one. I do prefer older Japanese audio equipment

hermit
07-11-2016, 00:14
What is the model number of the Sony turntable? It looks lovely.

Bigman80
07-11-2016, 00:21
Which one ??

hermit
07-11-2016, 00:23
The Sony TT on the new wall shelf. Thanks.

Bigman80
07-11-2016, 00:31
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/abe8e69cf8e6bb9b8d0cc5042adc10c6.jpg

This one ? It's a Toshiba SR-370.

hermit
07-11-2016, 00:49
Ah ok. As you wrote above the picture:

"Had to build a wall shelf to accommodate the Sony. It's huge !!!"

I had thought it was a Sony tt. Now I understand. Still a lovely looking tt, your Toshiba. Very purposeful. What does it weigh?

Bigman80
07-11-2016, 07:40
Oh I see lol. It weighs 15kgs. It's a beastie but it sounds very good indeed. Haven't seen another for sale since I bought it.

Bigman80
07-11-2016, 15:53
Back from Firebottle Towers. Modified to reduce voltage and looking good.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/47388f409a39f438c8d8d98e1d5dd7ab.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/bbb95fa2f4c96a5747c19095b0e4ac10.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/d1ea95176495303f9743f2e7bf2dd463.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/8aa6a4a144ef4058e8c1f62568029b11.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/1f069ada025a6606a3e216b491453729.jpg

Firebottle
07-11-2016, 16:38
Quite a lump of amplifier this Sony. Internals:

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/Paramotorpilot/Sony%20TA-F730/P1050833.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/Paramotorpilot/Sony%20TA-F730/P1050834.jpg

Output devices are bolted to the bottom edge of the heatsink:

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/Paramotorpilot/Sony%20TA-F730/P1050831.jpg

Preamp pcb to the side:

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/Paramotorpilot/Sony%20TA-F730/P1050832.jpg

Turns out the supply rails are +/- 58V with 220V mains in, so with 245V mains in the main 63V rated reservoir capacitors would be over run.
So I have fitted a bucking transformer to lower the mains by 24V:

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/Paramotorpilot/Sony%20TA-F730/P1050835.jpg

On test after the surgery:

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/Paramotorpilot/Sony%20TA-F730/P1050836.jpg

Bigman80
07-11-2016, 16:54
Quite a lump of amplifier this Sony. Internals:

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/Paramotorpilot/Sony%20TA-F730/P1050833.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/Paramotorpilot/Sony%20TA-F730/P1050834.jpg

Output devices are bolted to the bottom edge of the heatsink:

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/Paramotorpilot/Sony%20TA-F730/P1050831.jpg

Preamp pcb to the side:

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/Paramotorpilot/Sony%20TA-F730/P1050832.jpg

Turns out the supply rails are +/- 58V with 220V mains in, so with 245V mains in the main 63V rated reservoir capacitors would be over run.
So I have fitted a bucking transformer to lower the mains by 24V:

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/Paramotorpilot/Sony%20TA-F730/P1050835.jpg

On test after the surgery:

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/Paramotorpilot/Sony%20TA-F730/P1050836.jpg

Excellent job too. Thanks Alan

Arkless Electronics
07-11-2016, 17:28
58V rails eh? Surprising.... It should give well over it's rated power output then!

struth
07-11-2016, 17:33
Looking good... whats it sitting on Oliver?

Bigman80
07-11-2016, 17:51
Looking good... whats it sitting on Oliver?
It's a unit from IKEA. Cost about £30

Bigman80
09-11-2016, 12:17
Got to go back to Firebottle Towers !!! I've got a new Hum on the Phono stage.

Gordon Steadman
15-11-2016, 13:03
The Pioneer is nicely settled in place and is continuing to grow on me. No2 TT is now installed and the cart changed from an old Sony to a Shure M75 ED with original stylus. Cracking cartridge even though it's getting on a bit. I prefer my Creek phono stage to the one in the Pioneer so that's in place/ It's tempting to get No1 deck and Firebottle + phono down to compare but I will resist I think. This is quite good enough to enjoy the music.

I listen near field in the snug, partly as it's at my computer desk and partly as I'm a deaf old git. The KEF 101s have never sounded better than this, the top end is really crisp and clean and the bass is just stupid for speakers this size.

Switching back and forth between the TT and the Mac playing the same tunes really shows just how much is being lost, even with lossless formats.

I expected differences to be much more obvious on the headphones but it's the speakers that really highlight them, especially when playing at Ronnie annoying levels:eyebrows:

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5332/30698095710_686e5aa6c1.jpg

Bigman80
15-11-2016, 13:30
The Pioneer is nicely settled in place and is continuing to grow on me. No2 TT is now installed and the cart changed from an old Sony to a Shure M75 ED with original stylus. Cracking cartridge even though it's getting on a bit. I prefer my Creek phono stage to the one in the Pioneer so that's in place/ It's tempting to get No1 deck and Firebottle + phono down to compare but I will resist I think. This is quite good enough to enjoy the music.

I listen near field in the snug, partly as it's at my computer desk and partly as I'm a deaf old git. The KEF 101s have never sounded better than this, the top end is really crisp and clean and the bass is just stupid for speakers this size.

Switching back and forth between the TT and the Mac playing the same tunes really shows just how much is being lost, even with lossless formats.

I expected differences to be much more obvious on the headphones but it's the speakers that really highlight them, especially when playing at Ronnie annoying levels:eyebrows:

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5332/30698095710_686e5aa6c1.jpg
What TT is that ? Is that the rega arm on it too ?

That pioneer does look particularly capable of holding the weight lol. Kef 101's. Hmmm I'll have to look those up. Glad you're enjoying them music ! I've just bought a DAC which is my first foray into these dark areas so that'll be fun. I've just put the TT back together after super glue leaked down the front of it. Bit gutted but the sound is remarkable. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161115/74461bb274643f6a18ee7076f3a7e0ee.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161115/65c0f4bbd824ff1aae05a8ea22046ecb.jpg you can see the glue in the second pic.

Loving the sony amp though. Need to add a bit of treble as my celestion DL6s sound a bit boomy. All in all the sony is beautiful.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161115/60c1adf7041dcfca7ccb0cdadc41a9be.jpg

Macca
15-11-2016, 13:37
It's the wooden end cheeks that do it. It's a purposeful looking bit of kit without them, but the wood adds that touch of class.

Gordon Steadman
15-11-2016, 14:12
I do like the wooden cheeks. I put them on the CD player and it transforms the look. This amp is Ronnie's though and I would need her permission to, as she would put it "bugger about with it".

The TT is a Sansui DD with an Origin Live modified RB250. The 101s are KEFs answer to the LS35A and to my mind, considerably better. I've added the LS35A metal grilles and felt surround to the T27 which takes them a further step up too.

The Sansui was one of these computer says NO thingies with auto everything unless it was in a bad mood. So I did a "Dave, my mind is going, I can feel it" job on it and it's purely manual now. Sounds OK.

Bigman80
15-11-2016, 14:18
Yes, the wood definitely add an air of "special" but it's the sound the thing makes that's blown me away. Everything sounds tight, almost firm. It's strange to me as this is a first time venture above a budget range. Its like the sound is under complete control and nothing is out of place. Great bit of kit. I am now wondering how much better things could be ?

tannoy man
25-11-2016, 12:52
I'll answer that question in two halves, if I may:

(1) A heck of a lot more than one should ever pay for something rare that doesn't work and will allegedly (if you believe the hype) never work again.

(2) A heck of a lot less than the working one currently for sale in Germany! :D

Quite pretty, though...

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/Beobloke/PS-X9_3_zps72d8uhbf.jpg (http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/Beobloke/media/PS-X9_3_zps72d8uhbf.jpg.html)

Thats beautiful, Spend the money and pat yourself on the back, You saving history from the skip.
I paid £60 for a mint TD124 about 20 years ago. It worked fine for 15 years but the motor started to take half an hour to get up to speed so I sent it to Schopper.
The worry of sending my most emotionally valuable possession across the Continent was palpable. The cost "about £800" was in line with what I expected but Postage, insurance and the dreaded VAT were a considerable chunk of that.
So I now have a TD 124 that will outlive me and is as perfect as the day it left the factory, Im a happy man.

Best of luck Adam, The work you do restoring old turntables seems akin to Jay Leno and his fantastic cars.

Bigman80
25-11-2016, 13:13
It's a beautiful TT

Big Vern
25-11-2016, 15:30
A stunning turntable...Adam, what are your impressions of the PS-X9 and how would you say its performance stacks against other turntables in your stable...or should that be rack!

Wakefield Turntables
25-11-2016, 18:40
I might be getting a Sansui CA3000 soon, the deal has to be done first. Always loved big Sansui amps.

Bigman80
25-11-2016, 19:42
Oh nice !!! I dove love the big Jap amps. Pics when you get it would be well recieved.

Gordon Steadman
27-11-2016, 11:44
Just as I thought I was settled with my equipment, I have to listen to Ronnie's blurry Pioneer A757!!

It's been sat upstairs for ten years, just being used for ballet music whilst Ronnie does her practice.

I've been listening on cans and have got so involved in the music that I'm having trouble believing that the main rig upstairs is any better. So I went up and listened there. It is very clear that the headphone amp up there is nowhere close, even with No1 TT going through it via the Firebottle. Down here I have a Creek phono. It was a relief to get back down:scratch:

Ronnie won't even consider letting me try the Pioneer with the Quads. She has seen what they do to some tranny amps and she isn't about to let me risk it. It is very happy with the Kef 101s and so is she.

So, on cans it's better down here and with speakers better upstairs!!

Changing Ronnie isn't an option so it looks like I might have to bring No1 TT down here fro the winter. What a pain.

How I hate equipment swapping.

walpurgis
27-11-2016, 11:48
Get another A757?

Gordon Steadman
27-11-2016, 11:50
Get another A757?

Any spare dosh goes on the house now as we are trying to finish it to sell. Sadly not an option. Nice idea though.

Beobloke
28-11-2016, 12:54
A stunning turntable...Adam, what are your impressions of the PS-X9 and how would you say its performance stacks against other turntables in your stable...or should that be rack!

Sorry for the delay in replying but I've been listening to the beast closely for the last couple of weeks!

In summary, it is astonishingly good and very clean and neutral. Imaging is superb and it simply sounds like a proper reference deck that is adding nothing and taking nothing away. The funniest thing was that, on first listen, it actually sounds a bit bass light. A few days of listening later I would say it very possibly has the best bass of any turntable I have ever heard. It's not the deepest (of the other decks I own, the Nakamichi TX-1000 takes that accolade) and it doesn't have the most 'pummel-your-chest' impact (nothing beats a Garrard 301 here!) but the detail it digs out is absolutely staggering, and its bass timing is utterly astonishing.

Its most definitely a keeper and, if I'm lucky enough to be given a room at Scalford 2017, I may well bring it along...

Bigman80
30-11-2016, 06:19
Sorry for the delay in replying but I've been listening to the beast closely for the last couple of weeks!

In summary, it is astonishingly good and very clean and neutral. Imaging is superb and it simply sounds like a proper reference deck that is adding nothing and taking nothing away. The funniest thing was that, on first listen, it actually sounds a bit bass light. A few days of listening later I would say it very possibly has the best bass of any turntable I have ever heard. It's not the deepest (of the other decks I own, the Nakamichi TX-1000 takes that accolade) and it doesn't have the most 'pummel-your-chest' impact (nothing beats a Garrard 301 here!) but the detail it digs out is absolutely staggering, and its bass timing is utterly astonishing.

Its most definitely a keeper and, if I'm lucky enough to be given a room at Scalford 2017, I may well bring it along...
I'm sure it's a beast. Don't think I could part with my Toshiba but if a good TTS came up 🤔 !!!!

dicy
30-11-2016, 19:08
That really is lovely Adam, well done mate

Big Vern
02-12-2016, 09:58

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply - understand the delayed response - that PS-X9 has clearly been demanding of your time! Your experience does not surprise me. When I 'got back into vinyl' in the early 00s, I got my hands on a Micro Seiki RX-5000 that had been left in the UK when its Japanese owner returned home...he did not want to ship it. This deck had a very real low frequency presence. When I procured a Kenwood L-07D a couple of years later, I initially noticed what appeared to be reduced bass. Whilst the Kenwood did not shake the rafters in the same way, I came to realise that the detail retrieval was on another level and the bass was there - just in a more tightly focused way.

I think you've pulled a blinder getting the 'X9 up and running. It's a deck I've lusted after for some time, but examples available tend to be just way too expensive. I am aware of the article referred to on TVK, where a German reviewer listened to a number of DD decks and came to the conclusion that it was the Sony he would want to keep. Praise indeed and, whilst it is just one opinion, I get the impression that you would be inclined to agree!

Happy listening and well done - it's great to see a classic, high quality piece of equipment brought back to life

Paul

Bigman80
31-12-2016, 00:41
After a busy and expensive Christmas the wallet needs a rest.

Never mind that. Just picked this up. Very excited.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161231/d010497b70cc475d072c2a3d2ac4f9a1.jpg

Sony CDP-X555ES

Looks to be in very good condition.

Bigman80
05-01-2017, 14:24
Well it's arrived and the only disappointing thing is there's no remote BUT the add didn't suggest there was one. So fair enough.

Here are some pics of this beautiful cd player

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170105/55c0f8485a51f73a4b3eb794383fc851.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170105/84611a646e99c2cf5b1ed9c34d14029c.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170105/92c23dd403ea0a5e3c6deffc5a723bd7.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170105/10c392dc6d3080a62ed60780d9db84f0.jpg

In full view:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170105/f2806eafc6f5fa0bb990e2307754cc31.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170105/4d2f83e4a0c4bd23f53b9c0a17fd91f4.jpg

Very very good sounding components. I have to say i love the Japanese gear and the es range is so well made. Absolutely in love with it all.

Now do I get the matching TT ????? Lol nope. The Toshiba is a beast !

walpurgis
05-01-2017, 15:40
But you do need a Monarchy Audio M22 DAC to finish things off.

Bigman80
05-01-2017, 15:59
But you do need a Monarchy Audio M22 DAC to finish things off.
Do I ?????

struth
05-01-2017, 16:04
Do I ?????

Apparently ;)

Macca
05-01-2017, 16:06
No, of course not. Nowt wrong with the DAC in the Sony.

Mint CD player there, out of the top drawer. From Deutschland I'm guessing?

walpurgis
05-01-2017, 16:07
Do I ?????

Oh yes! Definitely!

But the chances of you getting your mits on one are not great unfortunately.

I have them on my eBay 'watch list' and have not seen one for a year or more.

Not that I need another. I've cornered the market in these, as well as SR-370's and 774's. :eek:

struth
05-01-2017, 16:11
I sold mine to someone here.. shamefully my memory is poor and ive forgotten who. :scratch: hell ive forgotten more than ive learned :D
Tis a very good dac by the way, and i only sold mine as i went the upgraded buffer route which imo is even better.

Bigman80
05-01-2017, 16:31

That was my impression to be honest.

And yes, another German import. Gotta love eBay.de

walpurgis
05-01-2017, 18:06

I've no doubt the DAC in the Sony will be a good one. As is the excellent DAC in the Meridian 507 I bought new a good few years ago, but that's not to say improvements cannot be gained. I bought a Theta Cobalt DAC for use with the 507 and that was certainly a step up in sound quality, as were the following Theta Cobalt DAC, followed by a Theta DS Pro Progeny DAC. Each being incremental improvements until I bought a Monarchy Audio M22B DAC, which was a big step forward in sound quality. I would suggest that it could be well worthwhile trying an external DAC with the SONY.

Bigman80
05-01-2017, 18:16
I've no doubt the DAC in the Sony will be a good one. As is the excellent DAC in the Meridian 507 I bought new a good few years ago, but that's not to say improvements cannot be gained. I bought a Theta Cobalt DAC for use with the 507 and that was certainly a step up in sound quality, as were the following Theta Cobalt DAC, followed by a Theta DS Pro Progeny DAC. Each being incremental improvements until I bought a Monarchy Audio M22B DAC, which was a big step forward in sound quality. I would suggest that it could be well worthwhile trying an external DAC with the SONY.
You keep costing me money Geoff. Lol.

How much do they go for ?? I would imagine they aren't cheap

Macca
05-01-2017, 18:24
Where I'm coming from is the cost/benefit ratio. There is also the problem of distinguishing better from just different. You might prefer the presentation but is the quality of the sound improved? The Sony will have it where it really counts, which isn't the DAC or the mechanism but the analogue output stage and the power supplies.

Even so the presentation of those Sony players won't suit everyone. They are smooth, very clean, they don't add any rosy glow like Rega or some Marantz players do.

Bigman80
05-01-2017, 18:30
Internals look tasty

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170105/63e23334c91ba20ec272e6fc8c3dbf2b.jpg

Bigman80
05-01-2017, 19:39
Where I'm coming from is the cost/benefit ratio. There is also the problem of distinguishing better from just different. You might prefer the presentation but is the quality of the sound improved? The Sony will have it where it really counts, which isn't the DAC or the mechanism but the analogue output stage and the power supplies.

Even so the presentation of those Sony players won't suit everyone. They are smooth, very clean, they don't add any rosy glow like Rega or some Marantz players do.
It does sound VERY clean. Some would say clinical and with the mission 780se it sounds sharp, but oh so good. Just had it on loud for 20mins and boy do those missions come alive !!!!!

The CD player and amplifier work together so well as you would expect. Great presentation in my opinion. Everything sounds so clear and defined. I still Long for floorstanders so I think that's the next bit for me.

You wouldn't believe those little speakers were producing that sound though. What performers!!!

Anyway. No DAC required IMO.

Not yet anyway !

Marco
05-01-2017, 20:25
Very nice indeed, Oliver. Congrats on a very astute purchase! :thumbsup:

I have its bigger brother, the X777ES (Audiocom modified), and it's stunningly good. The 555 shares similar internals. Fingers crossed, it'll be the last CD player you'll ever need.

The Sony will have it where it really counts, which isn't the DAC or the mechanism but the analogue output stage and the power supplies.

Indeed... And not forgetting a PROPER CD-only (built like a brick outhouse) metal transport! The sonic effect of which is significant, so yes the "mechanism" is also important.... ;)

Spot on, which is why I like them. They pull musical information off the disc in the most unsullied way I've ever heard. Wouldn't swap my X-777ES for anything, least of all something modern and plastic, with a switch-mode PSU! :nono:

Enjoy, Oliver :cool:

Marco.

Bigman80
05-01-2017, 20:46
Very nice indeed, Oliver. Congrats on a very astute purchase! [emoji106]

I have its bigger brother, the X777ES (Audiocom modified), and it's stunningly good. The 555 shares similar internals. Fingers crossed, it'll be the last CD player you'll ever need.

Indeed... And not forgetting a PROPER CD-only (built like a brick outhouse) metal transport! The sonic effect of which is significant....

Spot on, which is why I like them. They pull musical information off the disc in the most unsullied way I've ever heard. Wouldn't swap my X-777ES for anything, least of all something modern and plastic! :nono:

Enjoy, Oliver :cool:

Marco.
Thanks Marco !

I did look at the X777ES but it was a bit too much for me so I went with the 555, they are very close relatives according to "the vintage knob" anyway.

Power supply the biggest difference ? If I recall

Have no plan to change much now. Maybe speakers in the future for floorstanders.

Bigman80
06-01-2017, 00:24
Just found this bit of info. Not sure how accurate

Sony's own CXD2552, this is a multi-output dual differential bitstream DAC. It's one of the best voltage output bitstream DACs ever made, and surpassed only by it's cussessor, the CXD2562, albeit not by much.
It offers true 20-bit dynamic range and low noise as well as good jitter rejection. Sony's first SACD player actually sued the CXD2562 for CD playback, so this basic architecture was used up to the late 90's.
The difital filter in front of the DAC is again Sony's own design. This is what changed from the predecessor, X55ES, then (with the change of DAC chips) well into the XA range years later. The basic DAC structure remained the same. By today's standards the digital filter remains decent, and the DAC is still top-notch. Unlike other offerings of that kind it operates on a higher frequency alowing simplified output filter design.

The X555, 333, 777 share the same basic transport. The 777 adds a few bits of mechanical stabilization but it's really the same. It's the last instance of Sony's legendary linear motor aluminium base drive - the only rotating part in it is the spindle motor, it has no gears at all, and really only two moving parts, which is the reason for it being so reliable, and why X777 (also 779, 707) fetsh high prices, even if they are only used as transports.

The basic structure of the lineup goes like this:
3xx has the same laser, DAC (single) and mechanism, and a single transformer for the power supply (but with separated secondaries for analog and digital). These units tend to be really good sounding and in some cases even surpass the 5xx from the same lineup. They are also very tweakable, and generally top-notch for the price.
5xx usually has dual power transformers and supplies, and a more complex analog output but the transport and DAC scheme remain the same.
7xx are the units where all stops have been taken out. It only takes a look under the hood to recognise that. They have dual power transformers, ultiple power supplies, dual DACs running in balanced mode, usually there are also balanced outputs - and at some time or other they were ALL reference machines for at least one, and often many test setups you could see in the HiFi press. Because of this, it's very hard to surpass them even today.

Later units after the X707 (the XA range) already saw signs of penny saving. They are by no means bad units, quite the oposite, but gone are the discrete regulators, copper chasis in lower parts of the range, havy vibration-proof transformers (newer units use smaller R-cores), etc. Still, LOTS of bang for the buck.

Biggest problem with these units is getting a new laser, if one goes bad. They have been unobtainium for the last 4 years or so as Sony stocks ES spares for 15 years after the initial launch. Even units for the XA two-figure range are very difficult and expensive to come by. Fortunately, they are extremely reliable - I have a X707 and the laser still shows full power after all these years.