PDA

View Full Version : AOS Show , Members opinions please , includes a Poll

Audio Al
09-10-2016, 04:37
Hi everyone , For some years now a AOS show has been mentioned from time to time , Currently the nearest forum members have got to achieving this is by having some bake off's / members meetings at home locations mainly up north and in the midlands , Well done for getting these going :)

Is it time for a show ? this is the question , At the moment its just for feedback as to wether it will be supported by the AOS members ?
I do understand that location of the show will be a difficult thing , You can't please all of the people all of the time so some will be happy other will not be happy .

Another well known forum has run many very sucsesfull show and are running it again in 2017

Is it time for us to give this a go , Personally I would love it and be more than willing to travel almost any distance to take part , I would make a holiday break of it over a couple of days

I have a vision of what we " Could " achieve if we all support this but its pointless going through everything if we have little support , So I am calling on members to give a indication of support for a event like this :)

I have a moderators approval for posting this thread :D

Puffin
09-10-2016, 07:48
If it was within say 75 miles of where I am, I would have a room and exhibit and my crap.

Jeff Wood
09-10-2016, 07:50
great idea,

struth
09-10-2016, 08:00
if it was in my house I'd still not go :lol: Biggest pop and best links are down south but outside of the City. Getting everyones happy position is going to be difficult

Sovereign
09-10-2016, 08:23
I would be up for it, I wouldn't mind driving a couple hours outside kent either.
And I'd be up for displaying my big solid state class A amps and even bigger open baffles

struth
09-10-2016, 08:39
I wouldn't be up for it, I wouldn't mind driving a couple hours outside kent either.
And I'd be up for displaying my big solid state class A amps and even bigger open baffles

Thats a yay and nay

Ali Tait
09-10-2016, 09:11
Think he meant he would be up for it. :-)

Andy831
09-10-2016, 09:28
I would not be interested in exhibiting as thats just not my bag at all, but dependent on location I would be interested in attending such an event. The venue would need to have sufficient available car parking to allow easy parking without having to revert to being bused in a la Scalford.

I guess because we are spread throughout the country and beyond, the difficulty will be the location, although I would be prepared to drive an awful lot further provided I knew I could secure a parking space within the grounds of a large car park, which at a guess would need to be twice the capacity of Scalford.

walpurgis
09-10-2016, 09:43
I like the idea. But where?

I don't like travelling very much. Within 100 miles would be OK for me I guess, but members are spread widely.

Not voted yet. I'm considering the extent of involvement I'd be happy with.

RichB
09-10-2016, 10:07
Yes, I'd be keen on it. It sounds to be more of a formal affair than the bake offs which aren't really bake offs at all but a collection of kit in one place and mixing it up a bit.

I'd be happy to exhibit or join in as part of a NEBO syndicate perhaps?

Location wise I think you've got to be Central UK. London too expensive and logistics difficult for people bringing kit, parking etc. You want a venue with reasonable room rates.

User211
09-10-2016, 11:03
I don't think this forum is as big as the Wam is/was.

I think it needs to be well away from Scalford to avoid those who would exhibit there in preference. You need to catch those who don't exhibit at Scalford due to distance. I'd go south of London as a location.

TBH I don't think the forum is big enough in the general scheme of things to make it work.

My system is just too much hassle to move for it.

Macca
09-10-2016, 11:04
The problem with a show is that unlike a bakeoff it requires a lot of organization, a hell of a lot, as anyone involved in Scalford will tell you. Consequently, whilst it would be a fantastic thing to do, it would ideally require an individual able to commit the time and the effort into being the co-ordinator. And we are talking about what would be close to a full-time job in terms of work. There is no-one on the mod team able to make that level of commitment at the present time, hence the idea for a public show being on the (very) back-burner.

If anyone is genuinely interested in taking on that co-ordinator role then we can start to talk about it in a serious way, however without someone able to make that commitment then it is unlikely to happen in the near to mid future, at least.

jandl100
09-10-2016, 11:10

I think it needs to be well away from Scalford to avoid those who would exhibit there in preference. You need to catch those who don't exhibit at Scalford due to distance. I'd go south of London as a location.

TBH I don't think the forum is big enough in the general scheme of things to make it work.

My system is just too much hassle to move for it.

Near Bristol, like? :eyebrows:

You could take your M&D system. :thumbsup:

Marco
09-10-2016, 11:42

That's not really the issue, Justin, as just like Scalford, we'd be inviting folks from ALL the forums to attend and/or demo their kit, not just AoS members, as if it's not simply to be a glorified bake-off, that's the only way I think it'd work. I doubt that the Wam show/Scalford would've been the success that it has without the help of others! ;)

Anyway, like Macca says, an AoS show, as was originally proposed a few years ago when things were different, is unlikely to happen, unless as mentioned, a willing and able co-ordinator was appointed. These days, I have little inclination to become involved in such things, beyond simply putting up the money.

So if anyone fancies it, and is 100% fully-committed to the task, let me know! :cool:

Marco.

User211
09-10-2016, 11:43
Near Bristol, like? :eyebrows:

You could take your M&D system. :thumbsup:

Not gonna blow minds though.

Was thinking more centrally south.

User211
09-10-2016, 11:47
That's not really the issue, Justin, as just like Scalford, we'd be inviting folks from ALL the forums to attend and/or demo their kit, not just AoS members. I doubt that the Wam show/Scalford would've been the success that it has without the help of others!.

Well if that is the case, just keep it well away from Scalford as a location, for the simple reason stated. It will make the kit on offer to audition markedly different, too, which has to be a huge plus.

Marco
09-10-2016, 11:58
I do agree, but unless there's a very good and convincing reason for it, and one that I'm happy with, any AoS show location will not be 'down south'; more midlands based, as I wouldn't want to completely alienate the guys who live in Scotland. It's different, of course, if we're simply talking about localised bake-offs.

It's irked me for years that, until Cranage Hall, all the decent UK hi-fi shows happened 'down south', almost as if nothing worthwhile exists north of Watford Junction, and so I certainly wouldn't want an AoS show to continue in that tradition.

If the 'southerners' aren't willing to get off their backsides and travel to the middle of the country, in order to attend such a show, in the way 'us northerners' were forced to travel 100s of miles south for many years, if say we wanted to go to Whittlebury, or to the old Heathrow shows, then too bad - we'll simply cater for those who show willingness to travel to any location that is suitable for the majority ;)

Anyway, it's all pie in the sky just now until/if someone comes forward and volunteers as an organiser, which is unlikely.

Marco.

walpurgis
09-10-2016, 12:04
If a southern venue is being considered, Therfield School in Leatherhead has allowed their hall, premises and parking facilities to be used for an audiojumble a few times. Maybe they'd be willing to have such an event there.

Sovereign
09-10-2016, 14:08
Think he meant he would be up for it. :-)

Sorry chaps, a wee typo there

Jeff Wood
09-10-2016, 14:34
I don't know if this is any help or not, but in the past I've part organised a DJ meet up/ speaker demo, basically we hire a function room and we all bring our DJ systems to compare.

The venue we use is called the Charnwood Arms in Coalville, near Leicester.

The main reason for choosing this venue is because its about as central as you can get, plus good motorway access.

Also the venue has an on site Motel as well as the function room, so it works well.

Lots of us stay over and drive back the next day.

Rooms are cheap and really nice, food and beer is good too :)

Just a thought anyway..

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/the-charnwood-arms.en-gb.html?aid=311076;label=hotel-33959-gb-ec28H8PGPLW6mTryl634%2AQS114157551400%3Apl%3Ata%3A p1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg%3Afi%3Atikwd-10644587952%3Alp1006532%3Ali%3Adec%3Adm;sid=235a37 d1a10aa231e6cd40c3784392f3;dest_id=-2592909;dest_type=city;dist=0;room1=A%2CA;sb_price _type=total;srfid=15a1dad6734dad560070ae34c8698557 2c7d0777X1;type=total;ucfs=1&

Marco
09-10-2016, 15:06
Sorry chaps, a wee typo there

James is always 'up for it', eh mate? :D;)

Marco.

Marco
09-10-2016, 15:17
I don't know if this is any help or not, but in the past I've part organised a DJ meet up/ speaker demo, basically we hire a function room and we all bring our DJ systems to compare.

The venue we use is called the Charnwood Arms in Coalville, near Leicester.

The main reason for choosing this venue is because its about as central as you can get, plus good motorway access.

Also the venue has an on site Motel as well as the function room, so it works well.

Lots of us stay over and drive back the next day.

Rooms are cheap and really nice, food and beer is good too :)

Just a thought anyway..

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/the-charnwood-arms.en-gb.html?aid=311076;label=hotel-33959-gb-ec28H8PGPLW6mTryl634%2AQS114157551400%3Apl%3Ata%3A p1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg%3Afi%3Atikwd-10644587952%3Alp1006532%3Ali%3Adec%3Adm;sid=235a37 d1a10aa231e6cd40c3784392f3;dest_id=-2592909;dest_type=city;dist=0;room1=A%2CA;sb_price _type=total;srfid=15a1dad6734dad560070ae34c8698557 2c7d0777X1;type=total;ucfs=1&

Excellent suggestion, Jeff! I also know of Coalville, as I bought my car from this dealership: http://www.adcarsalesuk.co.uk/

I also agree that if any AoS-branded show were to happen, that's the area of the country I'd be looking at - either that or somewhere around Birmingham :)

Marco.

User211
09-10-2016, 16:51
Still think it needs to be a good 2 or really 3 hours away from Scalford. You'll get the same crowd and piss off the Wammers if you put it in Brum or Leicester.

Marco
09-10-2016, 17:07
It's moot anyway, as the show is unlikely to happen. If that situation changes, then we can look at possible locations more seriously :)

Marco.

CageyH
09-10-2016, 17:11
I have voted no, as I don't go to any other shows due to the distances and costs involved.

User211
09-10-2016, 17:31
It's moot anyway, as the show is unlikely to happen. If that situation changes, then we can look at possible locations more seriously :)

Marco.

I agree. Or...

Have a virtual show. Just post videos of yer system on YouTube with a thread here as the hub...:D

Audio Al
09-10-2016, 17:43
Early day yet but 19 willing members , See what happens later in the week

My thoughts on this would be a venue with rooms for over night accommodation , arrive Saturday , book in , meal , meet and greet , few beers and a chat , If the venue has a medium conference room each member would be allocated a time slot for setting up and running their system, then all change onto the next members system etc

Central location should please everyone , very early days yet and 19 people may not work , Time will tell
These are just my thoughts :)

If we end u with 70 members maybe a room based show like WW

walpurgis
09-10-2016, 17:55
Have a virtual show. Just post videos of yer system on YouTube with a thread here as the hub...:D

You can do that here anytime though.

I find videos of Hi-Fi largely uninteresting personally. They give you no real idea of how the equipment sounds.

Qwin
09-10-2016, 17:58
Still think it needs to be a good 2 or really 3 hours away from Scalford. You'll get the same crowd and piss off the Wammers if you put it in Brum or Leicester.

Wammers are from all round the country, as long as its not at that venue I don't see a problem. keep a few months away from that show slot and I don't see that we would be stepping on anyone's toes. The Wam show is early in the year so plenty of the calender to go at, there is room for more than one show, as is the case with the Trade Shows.

In the absence of anything else I will probably be showing at the next Wigwam show myself. Like many members here, I dip in and out of several forums. I post mostly on AoS but take an interest in what others are doing, both in this country and further afield, there is too much talk in both camps, as though its us or them. I acknowledge there is an element of that, but why add to it, I'm not having a go at you personally here User211. You will get some peoples backs up whatever you do, even if you do nothing. ;)

As for locating South of London, that would make it very difficult for the Scottish Mafia or the North East Posse to attend, as it would require at least 2 nights accommodation and two days just travelling, even for a one day show.

As has been pointed out, something of this scale takes a huge amount of organising.
Maybe smaller regional meets along the lines of NEBO and MiBO are the way forward. :)

User211
09-10-2016, 18:06
You can do that here anytime though.

I find videos of Hi-Fi largely uninteresting personally. They give you no real idea of how the equipment sounds.

I wasn't being wholly serious.

I like a hi-fi vid spend ages on YouTube me.

I'd raise the thread but I bet no one would post. Too shy, worried about comments on sonics etc.

Given a decent mic and play back on a good system I think you can get an idea. Try the Kenrick Sound videos - they are shot seriously, and they do display meaningful variance in sonics across speakers.

Anything else though on YouTube, without the same hardware doing the shooting, you're a bit clueless. Most sound pretty dire.

Qwin
09-10-2016, 18:13
Early day yet but 19 willing members , See what happens later in the week

My thoughts on this would be a venue with rooms for over night accommodation , arrive Saturday , book in , meal , meet and greet , few beers and a chat , If the venue has a medium conference room each member would be allocated a time slot for setting up and running their system, then all change onto the next members system etc

Central location should please everyone , very early days yet and 19 people may not work , Time will tell
These are just my thoughts :)

If we end u with 70 members maybe a room based show like WW

If its a single room you need several set ups so you can move from one to the next with no down time. Otherwise it takes longer to switch kit than the time you have left to play it. The Wam show is more like 500 visitors/day plus exhibitors so a different scale. The NEBO meets were either side of 30 attendees, with over 50% showing something. Correct me if I'm wrong there guys.

hifinutt
09-10-2016, 19:05
its a great idea but there are getting to be too many hi fi shows now !!! you are spoilt for choice . there is 2 big ones in the next 2 weeks alone

ijrussell
09-10-2016, 19:24
As has been pointed out, something of this scale takes a huge amount of organising.
Maybe smaller regional meets along the lines of NEBO and MiBO are the way forward. :)

Big shows cost big money to do properly. Scalford started smallish and has grown to the point that it's now a victim of its own success with visitor numbers causing issues with parking and getting to hear everything being shown.

I think that the regional meetup idea makes a lot of sense.

Jimbo
09-10-2016, 19:55
Not sure if a big show really is the thing for AOS,I agree with the post above. Small regional get togethers are better and feel more friendly and enjoyable than the bigger shows. I have been to many if these shows and I have never been really satisfied I heard equipment at its best or music I really enjoyed.

With the small AOS meetings equipment and music really did gel on occasions and certainly the friendly banter and atmosphere made for a very enjoyable day/night out. They are quite special and fairly unique and a great way to meet folk and hear music and kit on a level that is personable and relaxed.

The Black Adder
09-10-2016, 20:33
I quite agree, James... small 'AOS Days' sound much more flexible.

Stratmangler
09-10-2016, 21:07
The middle of Britain is more like the M62 corridor, between the M6 and the M1.
Somewhere between Warrington and Leeds would be good.

Marco
09-10-2016, 21:50
If you're going to look at it that way, in terms of ascertaining the 'middle of Britain', then I think anywhere north of Glasgow or Edinburgh is pretty much irrelevant, as we simply don't have enough members living up there to consider.

Therefore, when calculating the middle, start from, say, Glasgow and work down.

Marco.

struth
09-10-2016, 21:53
If you're going to look at it that way, in terms of the 'middle of Britain', then I think anywhere north of Glasgow or Edinburgh is pretty much irrelevant, as we simply don't have enough members living up there to consider.

Marco.

probably about a line projecting from Liverpool

Stratmangler
09-10-2016, 22:03
If you're going to look at it that way, in terms of ascertaining the 'middle of Britain', then I think anywhere north of Glasgow or Edinburgh is pretty much irrelevant, as we simply don't have enough members living up there to consider.

Marco.

I wasn't considering anything further North than Glasgow or Edinburgh.
Warrington to London is 200 miles or so.
Warrington to Glasgow or Edinburgh is 200 miles or so.

It would be a similar set of distances anywhere along the M62 corridor to Leeds.

Marco
09-10-2016, 22:10
Yes, but how far is it to Leeds from, say, Kent or Portsmouth, or Cornwall, where quite a few of our members are from? I suspect that it's more than 200 miles... ;)

Therefore, it'd hardly be fair on them, if any AoS show were held where you're proposing.

Marco.

User211
09-10-2016, 22:11
its a great idea but there are getting to be too many hi fi shows now !!! you are spoilt for choice . there is 2 big ones in the next 2 weeks alone
Didn't say but I agree. Also agree with Matco it probably won't happen anyway.

walpurgis
09-10-2016, 22:27
Didn't say but I agree. Also agree with Matco it probably won't happen anyway.

Who am dat mate? :D

Stratmangler
09-10-2016, 22:48
Yes, but how far is it to Leeds from, say, Kent or Portsmouth, or Cornwall, where quite a few of our members are from? I suspect that it's more than 200 miles... ;)

Therefore, it'd hardly be fair on them, if any AoS show were held where you're proposing.

Marco.

If you want to consider Corwall then it ain't gonna happen.
It can take half a day to cross the frigging county at certain times of the year, and that's taking the improved roads into account.
Why not consider members on the "Isle of Far Flung and No Ferry If The Sea's a Bit Rough", up in Scotand?

walpurgis
09-10-2016, 22:57
It can take half a day to cross the frigging county at certain times of the year, and that's taking the improved roads into account.
Why not consider members on the "Isle of Far Flung and No Ferry If The Sea's a Bit Rough", up in Scotand?

Cornwall is OK if you avoid holiday periods (I drive through it and around it about ten times a year). But I get your point about distances Chris. The thing is the 'where you are' thing applies across the board. Maybe smaller localised shows/bake offs for people within sensible driving distance might be the way to go.

struth
09-10-2016, 23:05
Central Scotland only has a few members so they just have small get togethers. NE has the successful NEBO event, which is the one that MIBO is trying to emulate for the folk further south. I can see room for at least one other in the Kent area, or north of london somewhere for the southerners, of which there are many.a SEBO

walpurgis
09-10-2016, 23:15
Near or around Oxford strikes me as a possible southern venue location (not actually in Oxford -- too expensive). Easy enough to reach from the M5 for west country folk. Near the M40 for members from London and south and east of it. And of course anybody coming from further north would have good access via M40/M1/A1.

Audio Al
09-10-2016, 23:28
I have seen Google maps done in a way that each person can add a point where thy are in the UK
Anyone on here clever enough to do this so we can see the spread of members ?

RichB
09-10-2016, 23:28
Just to add, there will be another NEBO type event next year as I've committed to sorting it. Most likely next spring. This will be an invitation/confirmed RSPV event. For now though I'm really looking forward to Macca's MiBO and hope that between the two there's plenty opportunity for AoS folk from far and wide to get along to either, or indeed both!

Qwin
09-10-2016, 23:56
The monument in Meriden village is traditionally classed as the centre of England, being the furthest point from the sea or Scottish border in any direction.

It's about four miles from my old house on the edge of Nuneaton.

In 2002 the Ordnance Survey re calculated using sat-alight mapping and gave the true location as a Farm 11 miles further North near Fenny Drayton.
I wonder if they have power in the Barn?

Qwin
09-10-2016, 23:56
Ooops double post

RichB
10-10-2016, 00:06
The monument in Meriden village is traditionally classed as the centre of England, being the furthest point from the sea or Scottish border in any direction.

In 2002 the Ordnance Survey re calculated using sat-alight mapping and gave the true location as a Farm 11 miles further North near Fenny Drayton.

You're taking that 'central' comment literally then Ken?;):lol:

Gazjam
10-10-2016, 05:57
Marco,
its your Forum mate, organise it! 😏

jandl100
10-10-2016, 06:25
Marco,
its your Forum mate, organise it! 😏

Yeah, just get it sorted, Marco.
Let us know where and when, and we'll see if we can be bothered to turn up. :popcorn:

:eyebrows:

CageyH
10-10-2016, 06:29
A retirement project for Marco?

The Black Adder
10-10-2016, 07:27
Have a number of 'satellite' AOS shows dotted around the country. Don't need to be big so that would keep costs down.

Marco
10-10-2016, 07:47
Marco,
its your Forum mate, organise it! ��

Lol - dream on... If it was me wanting the show, that'd be a different matter. I can't be arsed. So whoever wants it can organise it! :ner:

Marco.

Marco
10-10-2016, 07:48
Have a number of 'satellite' AOS shows dotted around the country. Don't need to be big so that would keep costs down.

Yup, that makes eminently more sense :)

Marco.

petrat
10-10-2016, 07:51
I wasn't considering anything further North than Glasgow or Edinburgh.
Warrington to London is 200 miles or so.
Warrington to Glasgow or Edinburgh is 200 miles or so.

It would be a similar set of distances anywhere along the M62 corridor to Leeds.

I lived in Warrington for a year in the seventies. I really don't want to go back there :nono: :lol:

I agree with Josie (post 35). Local meets would be a good way to develop the social side. I get the feeling that the 'Scottish mafia' and the NEBO lads have succeeded at this.

Marco
10-10-2016, 08:05

Lol - I'm just making a point if you want things to be 100% fair, centrally. In that respect, why should, say, Carlisle be considered and not Cornwall? I bet we have more members living in Devon/Cornwall than Carlisle. Who decides where gets priority? ;)

Marco.

prestonchipfryer
10-10-2016, 11:15
It would be good to meet fellow Aos'ers just to see what you lot are like. The Midlands would be far enough for me to travel. Any further north and it's too friggin' cold.

Ali Tait
10-10-2016, 12:55
:ner:

Might be the centre of England, but not of the UK!

Qwin
10-10-2016, 17:51
You got lots of twiddly bits and Islands Ali, more difficult for them to work it out :D

If you take Northern Island into account the centre is probably Douglas - Isle of Man :eyebrows:

Floyddroid
10-10-2016, 18:09
This sounds like a splendid idea to me.

Macca
10-10-2016, 18:23
I've always wanted to go to the Isle Of Man.

Marco
10-10-2016, 18:35
I've always wanted to go to Pucklechurch.

Marco.

Thebiglebowski
10-10-2016, 18:54
I have seen Google maps done in a way that each person can add a point where thy are in the UK
Anyone on here clever enough to do this so we can see the spread of members ?

Here you go, either add your location or where you suggest it should be by choosing "add marker" from the menu bar

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BMykG_ok9DD6ZAkph4V8C54UJ44&usp=sharing

Audio Al
10-10-2016, 21:10
Here you go, either add your location or where you suggest it should be by choosing "add marker" from the menu bar

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BMykG_ok9DD6ZAkph4V8C54UJ44&usp=sharing

Thanks Chris , I have added my location , Woo thats two of us now :)

Qwin
11-10-2016, 10:21
No "add marker" on my menu bar or any of the drop downs that are there?

Tip: For those who can, don't post your exact location, for obvious reasons.

Audio Al
11-10-2016, 10:36
Just to the right of the hand is what looks like a ballon , double click this then over your location , job done ;)

itskeith
10-01-2017, 21:08
Newbie would like to add his interest for a show (more the Midlands the better) :)

hifinutt
11-02-2017, 19:19
I preferred it when aos had its own room at the wigwam show . they get to do the hard part of organising the hotel and the easy bit is booking a room for aos members to turn up and meet there . I recall some beautiful monster heco statements last time I went to the aos room