PDA

View Full Version : Sand Boxes - Anyone Played With One - Not In One

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
22-04-2008, 17:01
Hi All
Just been thinking about isolation of gear and wondered if anyone has tried experimenting with a Sand Box. Yes I know I live by the beach, and you would have thought it would have occured to me before, but hasn't until now.
How did you use them and how effective were they??

Andy - SDDW

Filterlab
22-04-2008, 18:03
The only sandbox I've played with is Oblivion, man that's one HUGE sandbox.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_ps3/obps333B.jpg

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_ps3/obps332B.jpg

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_ps3/obps328B.jpg

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_ps3/obps316B.jpg

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_ps3/obps305B.jpg

On the hi-fi side of things, I guess it would make a great isolation device.

:)

22-04-2008, 18:52
Hi Rob
Great reply, if only the images had come through :)

Andy - SDDW

Marco
22-04-2008, 18:58
The images are there for me, Andy :)

Rob,

Very impressive. Graphics have come on a bit since I last played games on a Sinclair ZX81! :lol:

Marco.

22-04-2008, 20:33
Still can't see them, I presume the works server is blocking them, though I can see most others around the site ok. Will check them out in the morning when I get home. Only another 10 hours to go. All on my own. The worrying thing is, I know talking to yourself is quite common but I've now started to argue, and I keep loosing!!
I have to go, some kind gentlemen are at the door with a nice jacket for me, strangely it has very long sleeves that tie round your back. :)

Andy - SDDW

Mike
22-04-2008, 20:56
mmMMmm.... sounds like a nice comfy coat! ;)

22-04-2008, 23:00
mmMMmm.... sounds like a nice comfy coat! ;)

They also do a very nice range of Rubber Wallpaper :) :mental:

Filterlab
23-04-2008, 07:50
Hi Rob
Great reply, if only the images had come through :)

Andy - SDDW

Hehehehe, never jump to a conclusion that the poster is at fault. ;) :lol:

Filterlab
23-04-2008, 12:11
Anyway, back on subject about sand boxes, has anyone tried this approach?

Another method of damping that I always wanted to try with a CD player was gel support, something the consistency of those fragranced gel candles; i.e. dense enough to support moderate weight yet supple enough to absord vibration. Plus it wouls smell nice too - something for the girls.

Ali Tait
23-04-2008, 17:41
There's a fair bit about sand boxes in the DIY section on TNT audio.Seems a good thing to have a go at!

23-04-2008, 23:02
Hehehehe, never jump to a conclusion that the poster is at fault. ;) :lol:

Hi All
Managed to see the images at home, back at work now and they are gone again, must be the server. I'll remember for the future. :)
I'l take a look at TNT site later and see what suggestions they mention. My other bit of isolation arrived today, a piece of Granite 24" x 18" x 4". The blooming thing weights in at 90Kg. Nearly dropped it on my foot, my that would have made a mess :lol: no laughing matter really - Blood and guts on my carpet, now there's an insurance claim.

Andy - SDDW

Filterlab
24-04-2008, 07:53
Ahhh, granite - a fine isolation material. I've always found that slate is a great isolator, particularly for speaker stands - really improves the mids and highs. :)

By the way, what guts do you have in your foot? :lol:

24-04-2008, 14:32
By the way, what guts do you have in your foot? :lol:

Hi Filterlab

You abviously haven't met me, I have strange bits all over the place. :scratch: that you don't want to know about.

Andy - SDDW

Back to work tonight - for the last of my 4 night shifts :violin: will post photo's over the next couple of days.

Filterlab
24-04-2008, 14:58
LOL! :lol:

Yeah, get some photos up mate. Not of your guts or feet though.

24-04-2008, 17:08
A quick photo of the beast before I get it in place. Looks quite small and inoffensive, don't you beleive it, it's a beast of a thing.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Art%20of%20Sound/Granite01.jpg

Andy - SDDW

Filterlab
24-04-2008, 19:56
Jeez! Now that's a bit of granite!

I'm sure that was a prop in 2001: A Space Odyssey. :lol:

24-04-2008, 20:16
Stop apeing about, I'll have to make sure I don't, after stroking it (I've done that already) acquire the ability to use rudimentary tools. My boss would be most pleased, I'm sure he thinks I have the ability of an ape anyway. But only with less reasoning power than one. :lol:

Andy - SDDW

Filterlab
24-04-2008, 20:23
Heeheehee. :)

Maybe one day your boss' bone will change into a space craft.

Marco
24-04-2008, 20:24
Andy it looks somewhat ominously like a gravestone, so I guess you could find a good use for it further down the line if it doesn't perform well in its current application :lolsign:

I can see the inscription now: "He sweated blood and tears tweaking for his sins. R.I.P, S.D.D.W" :lol:

Marco.

25-04-2008, 17:37
Finally managed to get it in place, it took 2 of us to manage it though.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Home%20Stuff/DFT/DFTGranite2.jpg

Just had a limb and appendage count, all seem present and correct. I do have problems after the number 7 though. :scratch:

Andy - SDDW

Marco
25-04-2008, 17:59
And the sonic effect is? :confused:

Or was it just for aesthetics?

Marco.

25-04-2008, 18:23
Hi Marco
I've only managed to give it a quick spin, but initial impressions are very good, it has certainly improved the midrange sound in that the image is more stable, the bass responce and depth are better. Just a good overall improvement :), well worth the effort. I'll get a much better chance tomorrow to get a more extended listen to it all and see what I find. Also the Acrylic block under the phono stage is new so that needs to be sorted too. I'll live with it for a while then go back and remove / replace the block and see what I find. The Granite is staying where it is, don't think I could move it anyway.

Andy - SDDW

scoobs
25-04-2008, 21:26
I've had a bash at a sandbox. My 1210 is coupled to an inch thick granite slab that sits on 2 inches of silver sand, this would have been too ugly for swmbo, so I cunningly concealed it in a solid birch plinth. Bloody heavy too. :)

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/indypepa/5.jpg

Marco
25-04-2008, 22:44
Yes indeed, the famous 'bread bin'! :lolsign:

Where have you been, and how are you getting on with your active MC stage for the 103 Pro?

Tell me about it in the SL-1210 thread. Let's keep this one on-topic :smoking:

Marco.

Filterlab
26-04-2008, 10:14
...but initial impressions are very good, it has certainly improved the midrange sound in that the image is more stable, the bass response and depth are better...

That sound exactly right to me, always the effect I obtain from granite / marble / slate etc.

Nice job Andy, especially nice job on getting it into place!

26-04-2008, 15:52
Well having had music on for the last 4 hours or so and mainly vinyl, I am really pleased with the results for the addition of the Granite block. A described earlier Mid range definition and imagery is improved and also the bottom and is deeper and defined but the bass notes run better ( poor description I know ) I think what I am saying more tuneful and musical. In fact the improvements are across the board the top end is open and defined and has a slightly less edginess to some aspects of the sound, more obvious on a hard played Vibraphone like on Dave Grusin ‘Discovered Again’ LP. An all-round :smoking: result
A well worth while investment in improvement. I am sat here with a grin on my face similar to photo below – Only I’m not as pretty as the pic.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/HyCoignitor/Audio%20Home%20Stuff/BigGrin.jpg

I hate trying to describe a sound or change in sound. I am not very expressive, though I hope I have got across the basic ideas of my thoughts on the subject.

As a though on another subject it would be good to catch up with some new faces, and with that in mind have considered doing a ‘Bake Off’ ( I hate that term ) sometime. So my question is would there be any interest. With the shifts I work it could be any time during the Week or Weekends. Let know if there’s interest and we’ll get something arranged.

Andy – SDDW

Mike
26-04-2008, 16:03
Yup... Count me in!

Cheers,
Mike.

Filterlab
06-05-2008, 21:13
Andy, have you got round to trying your hi-fi in a sandpit yet?

06-05-2008, 21:55
Hi Rob
Going to be a bit busy with work over the next 4 - 6 weeks, I will be either on call or actually there due to safety issues in the short term.
I am going to get a mate of mine to make the Box section for me, something reasonable and not my usual kiddie style wood work standard. As for the sand I'll try and get some kiln dried Silver Sand. I think to a depth of 2 - 3" should surfice. I now only need to decide how thick the Granite or Slate is to be. I quite fancy another 4" thick slab like I have under the TT. But that could be OTT. Will post pics and thoughts on the results when they come in.

Andy - SDDW

Filterlab
07-05-2008, 07:54
Nice one mate, I look forward to the results.

I guess it depends on how well your components respond to mass as to how effective it will be, however the isolation sand naturally provides should make a difference. I'd say 2" - 3" will be plenty, although if it works well it would be interesting to find the point of diminishing return. Sometimes with these things (tweaks in general) it just keeps on getting better the further one goes with it.

Certainly the granite slab will be a contributory factor, although your other half may not want the listening area looking like a vandalised graveyard. :D

I love the effect of granite (and marble and slate) though, appeals to my ears perfectly.