PDA

View Full Version : My unit has arrived

Audio Al
19-09-2016, 00:54
:)

My test unit arrived a week ago and I must apologise for the delay in doing anything with this as I have been very busy :(
However tonight I decided this was the day so eagerly unpacked the unit :)
Boxed and packed very well , cardboard box lined with high density foam sheets cut to size that lined the inside of the box, Then each component was packed in a bubble wrap bag in the put inside a strong box with the lift off lid ( No risk of damage with this packaging )
I initially thought the unit would arrive in one piece however it arrived in component parts.
The quality of each component looks very good , I am impressed with this .
I am NOT a electronics engineer I would class myself as lacking in these skills
I managed to assemble the unit with no tools and would say its quit straight forward , It all fitted together lovely , I must say I like the design and ease of assembly , The unit comes with a 2 pin round european plus so a shaver plug is needed , it also has a 2 flat pin USA type plug .

Will update soon ;)

mikeyb
19-09-2016, 07:16
I could do with a unit too, but I'm not sure what it does 😉

Whatever it is though it's great that it builds easily. I'd love to build an amp or suchlike but soldering puts me off 😀

mikeyb
19-09-2016, 07:17
Ah I see it's a DAC, using Tapatalk so didn't see the heading doh!

Audio Al
19-09-2016, 09:24
No soldering needed it all pushed together in layers with spacers and screws , very easy ( So far )

mikeyb
19-09-2016, 16:50
No soldering needed it all pushed together in layers with spacers and screws , very easy ( So far )
Good stuff, be good to see it once finished.

hifi_dave
19-09-2016, 17:21
What is it ? :scratch:

Macca
19-09-2016, 17:55
More audio-related craziness from Audio Al is what it is. And why is it in the trade section? Costs fifty quid to start a thread in here.

I'm going to guess it is the Loricraft RCM

mikeyb
19-09-2016, 18:44
Lol, I thought he was building a DAC kit that was supplied by the Trade member who's thread he's posting in 😉

Or am I Daftee?

struth
19-09-2016, 18:51
Yup, I think its one of Andre's he has got. If Andre is cool with it. looking forward to another opinion.

walpurgis
19-09-2016, 18:54
I'm still none the wiser. :scratch:

Audio Al
20-09-2016, 09:56
:D Have I :mental: again :mental:

Opps , Im not sure what it is myself being a R2R and vinyl man :lol:

Please move this post and yes I think its a DAC / Streaming device :)
Am waiting for Andre re the workings ;)

Marco
20-09-2016, 11:53
I don't think the thread needs moved; merely the unit's identity clarified, as you're sort of done now! ;)

It's Andre's product, so as this is his dedicated sub-forum, it deserves to be discussed/reviewed here. Over to you now, daftee.... :)

Marco.

hifi_dave
20-09-2016, 16:38
Why is it so cryptic ?

What is the product ?

jollyfix
20-09-2016, 16:46
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?46117-ALLO-Audio-Hardware
All in the forum area posted in Dave

struth
20-09-2016, 17:02
Rpi dac

The Black Adder
20-09-2016, 17:44
Sounds good, Al. :) - Let us know your impressions and ease of setting up etc. :)

Audio Al
21-09-2016, 12:52
Here are some photos of this lovely looking piece of kit

Andre sent the the instruction manual and me being a old computer numpty :( I don't understand the setting up

If anyone else on AOS wants to take over I am willing to send it on , Sorry for being a failure , ``shame as I would love the see what its capable of . Looks special as it has a sub and phono sockets
I like the design as well

Sorry Andre , I'm sure a AOS member will take up the review for you

mikeyb
21-09-2016, 13:07
Why don't you get someone to take you through the setup while you still have it ;-)

struth
21-09-2016, 13:08
Shame you didnt get it running Al.. there is a short and steep curve with the basic rpi.. dunno about this... yes if you dont find anyone i will have a listen

Emmings
21-09-2016, 15:48
Hi

I would be interested in giving this a listen/try please - if all parties involved are OK with this.

I've been using a Pi as a streamer via Squeezebox into a M2Tech Young DAC and have also experimented with an IQAudio DAC as a headphone amp. Also tried the IQAudio DAC in place of the Young DAC (just as an experiment).

Would like to see how this compares and what it can achieve in my system and also as a headphone amp/system (if that is possible).

Also be interested how it would work as a standalone second system since it includes an amp as part of the kit.

Cheers
Dave

ALLO.com
22-09-2016, 07:37
Hi to all,

AudioAl thanks for the efforts, you were almost there!
I know that Struth has expressed interest in testing the set up and Emmings, you seem to know exactly what this is.
the complete set, as youc an see in pics, includes:
our own Sparky single board computer (but you can also use RPI ... just need to reflash SD card with correct image)
Kali the reclocker board that sits between SBC and DAC and removed jitter
Piano 2.1 DAC with Subwoofer out but will also work without sub
Volt amp 2x50W
CM board that cleans the noise and jitter from power supply to amp.

Since the unit is now with AudioAl, I guess we need to figure out a way to ship the unit.
I will gladly refund the shipping fee by paypal...

Please let me know what works best here.

Andre

ALLO.com
23-09-2016, 11:52
So who will it be?
Struth or Emmings?

Please let me know.
i'm eager form some more AOS members to test it!

Audio Al
23-09-2016, 12:49
So who will it be?
Struth or Emmings?

Please let me know.
i'm eager form some more AOS members to test it!

Andre

I will let you choose who I send it to :)

Its a shame Im a computer numpty :( as said I would love to here what its capable of :eyebrows:

Let me know and I will post it off Monday

Allen

ALLO.com
23-09-2016, 13:03
OK then Struth it is since he had interest since day 1.

ALLO.com
23-09-2016, 13:04
Emmings maybe in your case we can arrange for the KALI board and PIANO DAC combo.
this would be a good start with your RPI...
please PM me
cheers!

Hi

I would be interested in giving this a listen/try please - if all parties involved are OK with this.

I've been using a Pi as a streamer via Squeezebox into a M2Tech Young DAC and have also experimented with an IQAudio DAC as a headphone amp. Also tried the IQAudio DAC in place of the Young DAC (just as an experiment).

Would like to see how this compares and what it can achieve in my system and also as a headphone amp/system (if that is possible).

Also be interested how it would work as a standalone second system since it includes an amp as part of the kit.

Cheers
Dave

Audio Al
23-09-2016, 13:29
OK then Struth it is since he had interest since day 1.

Grant PM me your address and I will post it off Monday

ALLO.com
26-09-2016, 07:51
Grant PM me your address and I will post it off Monday

thank you sir you are a gentleman and a scholar !

Audio Al
26-09-2016, 11:25
On my way to post this now , Its on its way :)

ALLO.com
27-09-2016, 06:54
On my way to post this now , Its on its way :)

thanks Al!

struth
27-09-2016, 10:41
Its arrived and i have fitted the dac piano 2.1 to my rpi.. i need to know what i2s board it comes under for set up though

Audio Al
27-09-2016, 12:47
Its arrived and i have fitted the dac piano 2.1 to my rpi.. i need to know what i2s board it comes under for set up though

Is that not in the instruction file I sent you ?

The Black Adder
27-09-2016, 12:54
I think you can use the IQAudio DAC+ setting.

struth
27-09-2016, 13:10
Tried that jo. Also tried the audiophonics pcm that has correct number, plus the highberry etc.. no sound period. Starting to think its faulty

The Black Adder
27-09-2016, 13:42
hum.... I've just contacted Andre for you. I'm sure he will reply soon.

struth
27-09-2016, 14:00
Put my audiophonics board back in and its fine so the board or rhe is2 is suspect at moment. If i can find a shaver adaptor i could try it with its own sparky board. It needs 3amps so need his psu. Still need to know the is2 for sure as i use moode ..ive got a volumio copy unused but it will need same

ALLO.com
27-09-2016, 14:53
Put my audiophonics board back in and its fine so the board or rhe is2 is suspect at moment. If i can find a shaver adaptor i could try it with its own sparky board. It needs 3amps so need his psu. Still need to know the is2 for sure as i use moode ..ive got a volumio copy unused but it will need same

Grant,

if you want, please email me so I can walk you through.
i can also send you the user manual...
also, there is a new image for the max2play on RPI... if you can reflash the SD card, i can send you that.

cheers!

struth
27-09-2016, 15:00
Grant,

if you want, please email me so I can walk you through.
i can also send you the user manual...
also, there is a new image for the max2play on RPI... if you can reflash the SD card, i can send you that.

cheers!

I was using moode. I was told it worked on this. Ive got manual thanks. Just no sound. Ive tried a few is2 options including the audiophonics pcm 5122 that manual says it is albiet texas instruments. Not tried it with max2play. Is that a needed part? I was under the impression the dac and kodi boards work with any rpi. It so far doesnt with mine

Also i do not have your email