PDA

View Full Version : Speaker recommendations for 300b set

Ashmore
18-09-2016, 11:43
A planned change around in my house may shortly give me a dilemma/opportunity.

I currently have a wonderful Longdog audio 300b set powering the Edingdales - a superb combo.

But the Edingdales may be a bit big for the new music room, which will double as the main living room (if so i will retain them for home cinema duties).

So what might be a good alternativr speaker pairing for the SET in the new room?

I've always been fascinated by Harbeth, but realise the 300b's power profile doesn't meet Alan's recommended minimum.

Any recommendations for a high sensitivity modest sized stand mount?

marec
18-09-2016, 11:53
OMG

A customer for Lowther Accolades! Where have you been all these years?:lol::lol::lol:

Rgds
Mark

marec
18-09-2016, 11:55
But, don't forget, run them in for 1000 hrs... This is NOT a joke, most people have never heard Lowthers at their best, because they run out of patience...

hifi_dave
18-09-2016, 13:42
How many watts do you have to play with ?

Gazjam
18-09-2016, 14:22
Sorry to butt in for a second,
Nice amp speaker combo you have there. :D
Out of curiosity, what 300B valves do you use?

topoxforddoc
18-09-2016, 14:57
Do you have a budget? The Harbeths aren't really efficient enough to use with a 300B, as they are mostly 83-86 dB/W at 1 m, unless you have a small room or limitations on how loud you play the music. You'll need speakers with efficiencies greater than 90 dB/W at 1 m.

DeVore Orangutan 0/96
Audionote AN/J
Lowthers

struth
18-09-2016, 15:02
Type of presentation is also a idea to give too.. lots of bass or little etc.... the smaller the speaker the lower the numbers alas so depends on allowable size too.

Ashmore
18-09-2016, 16:22
Thanks chaps.

How many watts - well actually I have to admit I don't know specifically. It was a custom build for a specific purpose. I could fire a question off to Nick, but I assume 'few'.

Gaz - I'm just using basic electro harmonix - a restriction of budget when Nick built me the amp. I have recently considered an upgrade.

Budget is a bit flexible but I'd frame it at around the 12 mark.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Ashmore
18-09-2016, 16:22
1k - stupid autocorrect...

Ali Tait
18-09-2016, 22:09
300b SET - about 8-9w/ch with a tail wind.

Stratmangler
19-09-2016, 15:36
Colin and Scott have been busy again, and these sound excellent.

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/2way02.JPG

I heard them last night, driven by the 300b SET monoblocs at the bottom of the rack, and they're certainly man enough to handle these stand mount speakers.
They disappear visually too, once the grilles are fitted

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/2way05.JPG

Ali Tait
19-09-2016, 16:17
Yes have heard these too, they are excellent IMHO. I thought at first they were a little too polite, but on further listening they sound very natural, the kind of speaker you can listen to all day. In a similar mould to the Harbeth 30.1 we were using at Whittlebury to my ears.

bumpy
19-09-2016, 16:25
My standard recommendation would be Audionote speakers - price dictates which model. I used to be a lover of the original Type J's but age could be taking its toll on the drivers by now.

Toppsy
19-09-2016, 17:03
Simon,
I don't think I can add much to what Chris (Stratmangler) and Ali have said about the sound of these speakers. Cost wise they are within your budget and I can make bespoke matching stands to whatever veneer finish you want.

I must admit they were not developed with 300B sets in mind but rather finding a relative efficient 8" woofer that had a frequency plot to seamlessly merge with a simple XO to the rather tasty true ribbon tweeters I had in stock from a previous abandoned project and how they actually performed with the 300B's was a delight. Efficiency wise the speakers are about 91dB and though I don't know what differences between my Nick Gorham designed 300B monoblocs and yours they both are fitted with the same output tubes (EH Gold grids) so they are going to be producing about the same output. The speakers have a benign easy load and a simple XO which coupled with the (around) 91dB efficiency is why they perhaps work so well with the 300B's.

If you are interested send me an email or PM via the forum and we can take things from there. I know auditioning the speakers at my place is going to be difficult for you due to distance but I will make you the same offer I did with the Edingdales, in that if you place an order and pay for them I will build them to your spec'd finish post them to you and if for whatever reason you don't like them then simply return them to me and I'll refund you in full. Can't be fairer than that.

By-the-way here is the Audio-Talk thread I started on these speakers that's gives you a little more info http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6561.

struth
19-09-2016, 17:07
The look nice... great offer too.:)

Ashmore
19-09-2016, 17:28
You know sometimes this forum is just excellent. Thanks all for these suggestions. bumpy: audionote suggestion noted.

Colin, Ali, Strat: This sounds like it could be a winner to me. I'll review the threads and drool over images (my standard procurement process) and no doubt be in touch.

The room swith will be just before Xmas....