PDA

View Full Version : Pre amp or not

bumpy
05-09-2016, 16:21
If one has very sensitive speakers (approx 98dB) and say a 2A3 power amp, there is sufficient power to drive the speakers to high volume, so a passive (transformer based) volume control would seem enough.

BUT even in these circumstances many extol the virtues of adding a powered pre-amp. What is to be gained or lost in SQ?

struth
05-09-2016, 16:28
Whats thats output...about 5w ? I have a 6w amp receiver, which probably has a passive pre in it, but not sure and it sounds good and plenty power plus a fair bit for my speakers which are in that region. Dont think a full gain stage would be needed but a tvc might be nice.. Gives a little gain i think.

Macca
05-09-2016, 17:20
. What is to be gained or lost in SQ?

Good active pre amps cost, and it won't give you any more clean headroom from the power amp anyway. Good passives are much cheaper, and arguably the more elegant solution.

Arkless Electronics
05-09-2016, 17:25
If one has very sensitive speakers (approx 98dB) and say a 2A3 power amp, there is sufficient power to drive the speakers to high volume, so a passive (transformer based) volume control would seem enough.

BUT even in these circumstances many extol the virtues of adding a powered pre-amp. What is to be gained or lost in SQ?

No power is added by a pre amp of any sort first of all. If you can get plenty of level from a passive and relatively short interconnects are used (not yards long) then a passive should be all you need.

bumpy
05-09-2016, 17:30
Its not something I understand, but some people mention better matching of impedance. What could this mean?

Infinitely Baffled
05-09-2016, 17:38
Lots of good information about passive pre-amps, impedance etc etc here:http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/the_truth_about_passive_pre-am.html
Rothwells make both active and passive pre-amps, so have no particular axe to grind.
Cheers
Gary.

Arkless Electronics
05-09-2016, 17:43
Lots of good information about passive pre-amps, impedance etc etc here:http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/the_truth_about_passive_pre-am.html
Rothwells make both active and passive pre-amps, so have no particular axe to grind.
Cheers
Gary.

You've saved me the effort Gary :)

bumpy
05-09-2016, 19:13
Great article. Thanks

danilo
06-09-2016, 02:53
IF ? in doubt about impedance matching etc on one's Attenuator with connectors 'passve' pre?
Buy/ Build / Fit a Passdiy.com B1 Buffer gizmo ~50$
That, will solve most any and all matching issues.... elegantly and permanently.
Also if one fools with the buffers' resistors, a 5 db gain is available.. should? one feel the overwhelming need.
IMO the ONLY reason for an active in the 21st century...is to alter/tailor/voice the sounds to make up for perceived shortcomings in the rest of one's setup :eyebrows:.

bumpy
06-09-2016, 08:19
Well, that's pretty unanimous, not one good reason for using a preamp. I'll stick with my Stevens and Billington TX102 TVC

Cheers

CornishPasty
06-09-2016, 09:16
What you've never had you'll never miss.

Bluedroog
06-09-2016, 13:01
I don't have sensitive speakers like yours (actually I run actives) and have been mulling this over for a while now. I am all digital and certainly don't need to gain but use a Croft 25 (gain has been reduced), it sounds great. I did however try the Tisbury and Icon passive having previously tried attenuating via my DAC and was pleased with the results.

It is a trade off really, euphoria vs outright detail. I am pretty set on getting a decent passive such as the Hattor but have just put my Croft back in and am loving what it brings....:scratch: Right now I'm listening to Nils Lofgren Acoustic Live and it sounds wonderful. I suspect what type of music you're listening to has a big say but I doubt I'll keep two pres unless I decide to spin some vinyl in the future.

The Tortga LDR pre-amp is another I'm keen to try.