PDA

View Full Version : My Supprisingly good temporary system

The Vinyl Adventure
28-11-2009, 18:09
Linn majik ds - (mark grant g1000hd) - audio inovations L1 - mark grant g1000hd) - rob (puffin) built lm 3886 gainclones - (nva ls1) - pmc fb1+

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/_1000067.jpg

rob - its fair to say that these amps are now doing everything they are supposed to and doing it very well! i think all the previous issues were down to them not liking the beresford or lightspeed, i am now not having any issues with humming or buzzing what so ever! they sound very nice indeed! congrats, you have been istrumental in me not going barmy while i dont have my new system!!

(this next bit is copied from the l1 thread so sorry if you have already read it)

Belive it or not, it sounds fantastic! Open, great soundstage! Someone I know used the word sweet when describing a hifi the other day.. I would use that word now! I'm so chuffed! I now have a stand in hifi I can listen too! I'm Gonna buy this pre an use this combo with my ushers in my second system I have a strong feeling that will be a very nice combo!!

happy days!

Mike
28-11-2009, 18:27
Are those red things on top 'audiophile bread-bins' then? :eyebrows:

There's no shortage of audiophile dust though, I see! :lol:

The Vinyl Adventure
28-11-2009, 18:32
yep you can direct all queerys about the audiophile breadbins at rob!
i have gotvery lazy with the dusting since... well forever really! in the new place the system is going to be much more of a feature so i will learn to dust

DanJennings
28-11-2009, 18:33
yep you can direct all queerys about the audiophile breadbins at rob!
i have gotvery lazy with the dusting since... well forever really! in the new place the system is going to be much more of a feature so i will learn to dust

yeah right ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
28-11-2009, 18:35
i just need to keep telling my self that dan, hopefully it will stick!

Themis
28-11-2009, 18:40
i just need to keep telling my self that dan, hopefully it will stick!

:lolsign:
Nice (temporary) setup. When are you getting the definite one, btw ?

The Vinyl Adventure
28-11-2009, 18:42
realisticly i just need to get hannah better trained!

Mike
28-11-2009, 18:45
realisticly i just need to get hannah better trained!

Ooh, if she reads that you'll be for it! :eyebrows:

The Vinyl Adventure
28-11-2009, 18:57
if i know hannah, and i do, she wont be spending any time on a hifi forum!.. anyway strictly come dancing is on... she will be otherwise engaged for the next 1 'n' 1/2

Macca
29-11-2009, 09:53
Linn majik ds - (mark grant g100hd) - audio inovations L1 - mark grant g100hd) - rob (puffin) built lm 3886 gainclones - (nva ls1) - pmc fb1+

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/_1000067.jpg

rob - its fair to say that these amps are now doing everything they are supposed to and doing it very well! i think all the previous issues were down to them not liking the beresford or lightspeed, i am now not having any issues with humming or buzzing what so ever! they sound very nice indeed! congrats, you have been istrumental in me not going barmy while i dont have my new system!!

(this next bit is copied from the l1 thread so sorry if you have already read it)

Belive it or not, it sounds fantastic! Open, great soundstage! Someone I know used the word sweet when describing a hifi the other day.. I would use that word now! I'm so chuffed! I now have a stand in hifi I can listen too! I'm Gonna buy this pre an use this combo with my ushers in my second system I have a strong feeling that will be a very nice combo!!

happy days!

Looks like you've had the Bizzies round dusting for fingerprints...Not that I can talk as my place is a tip at the moment.

St3v3
29-11-2009, 11:00
I've never seen amps like it! Glad they sound great. What were you planning on replacing them with?

Steve Toy
29-11-2009, 12:05
The clue is in Hamish's user title...

Hamish your pre is nearly built. It could be a matter of days now!

Puffin
29-11-2009, 13:22
Hamish. Good to hear that you managed to use the Gainclones to good effect.

Covenant
29-11-2009, 15:02
Your comment on the Gainclones not liking the Beresford and lightspeed has got me a bit worried Hamish as I was thinking of going down the Gainclone route.
Did you find the cause of the problem?

The Vinyl Adventure
29-11-2009, 15:09
in my limited understanding the problem seemed to be some kind of grounding problem
if i touched the metal case of the lightspeed and gainclones at the same time the hum went. it seemed to me that if they are used with pre amps with wall wart type power supllys there was a problem, but when used with pre amps with internal power supplys they are fine...
can anyone help explain this??

The Vinyl Adventure
29-11-2009, 15:11
Hamish. Good to hear that you managed to use the Gainclones to good effect.

it is all good, i was pleased with the sound they were making before, but now i have solved the humming i am very very chuffed with them!!
cheers buddy

Primalsea
29-11-2009, 21:15
Dusty! I thought it was from a scene in Great Expectations! Do you keep an elderly aunt in their as well.

The Vinyl Adventure
29-11-2009, 21:23
:lolsign: I wasn't gonna tell anyone but I'm collecting dust so when there is enough I'm going to clean it off all but one shelf as a beltism experiment ;)