PDA

View Full Version : Best 40-43" TV?

Marco
26-08-2016, 20:32
Guys,

We need a new TV, which we'd like to wall-mount in our lounge, and the space we have available will fit, at the max, a 43" TV.

Now, I know next to nothing about these things, as I've long lost touch with current technology in the TV/AV arena. So, essentially what's the difference between LED and Plasma, and which is considered the 'best' (although I know that's subjective)?

Whilst some 'gadgetry' would be useful, linking up with Smart phones, etc, which I also intend to get into shortly, the 'holy grail' with TVs, for me, is picture quality. So, whilst useful modern facilities would be good, I'd sacrifice some of those for the TV that delivered the most bright/pin-sharp images. That is the priority.

We're looking to install Sky Q, so would be getting a new main Sky box, etc, and looking to take advantage of the maximum resolution that's available these days from broadcasts, primarily for watching live sport, music channels and movies.

We were looking at something like this: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/panasonic-viera-tx-40dx700b-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-40-led-tv-10143740-pdt.html

From my limited knowledge and research so far, the Panasonic Viera range seems to be highly regarded in terms of its picture quality, although others say Samsung is where it's at now.

So what say you all? :)

Marco.

Barry
26-08-2016, 20:40
Plasma TVs are no longer made Marco.

I've been looking into buying a new telly and I think I would look at OLED displays.

The best person to help you is either User211 and/or Gazjam, as I believe both have gone through the same decision making.

struth
26-08-2016, 21:00
Guys,

We need a new TV, which we'd like to wall-mount in our lounge, and the space we have available will fit, at the max, a 43" TV.

Now, I know next to nothing about these things, as I've long lost touch with current technology in the TV/AV arena. So, essentially what's the difference between LED and Plasma, and which is considered the 'best' (although I know that's subjective)?

Whilst some 'gadgetry' would be useful, linking up with Smart phones, etc, which I also intend to get into shortly, the 'holy grail' for with TVs for me is picture quality. So, whilst useful modern facilities would be good, I'd sacrifice some of those for the TV that delivered the most bright/pin-sharp images. That is the priority.

We're looking to install Sky Q, so would be getting a new main Sky box, etc, and looking to take advantage of the maximum resolution that's available these days from broadcasts, primarily for watching live sport, music channels and movies.

We were looking at something like this: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/panasonic-viera-tx-40dx700b-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-40-led-tv-10143740-pdt.html

From my limited knowledge and research so far, the Panasonic Viera range seems to be highly regarded in terms of its picture quality, although others say Samsung is where it's at now.

So what say you all? :)

Marco.

My brother has a pan... he likes it even though heis a ludite when techy things are concerned ... lol..
Its a very good pic on it but so are most of them tbh. most you can adjust everything etc. you want as many connections on back as possible, as they come in handy...
Sure the guys that are into their tellies now will have the latest up to date gen on models

Marco
27-08-2016, 07:43
Plasma TVs are no longer made Marco.

I've been looking into buying a new telly and I think I would look at OLED displays.

The best person to help you is either User211 and/or Gazjam, as I believe both have gone through the same decision making.

Cheers, Barry. I'll alert both to the existence of this thread (incase they miss it):)

Marco.

Marco
27-08-2016, 07:46
My brother has a pan... he likes it even though heis a ludite when techy things are concerned ... lol..
Its a very good pic on it but so are most of them tbh. most you can adjust everything etc. you want as many connections on back as possible, as they come in handy...
Sure the guys that are into their tellies now will have the latest up to date gen on models

The Pany seems to tick most of the boxes, dude, but I'm very much open to suggestions here, with as I said, ultimate picture quality being the main aim :)

Marco.

Macca
27-08-2016, 07:54
40'' is very small. I think you should try and find space for at least a 50'' - all very well having a sharp picture but if the screen is not big enough you lose that immersive quality. You can get 60'' now for a bag of sand.

brian2957
27-08-2016, 08:08
I had a Panasonic 37 inch plasma TV for around 6 years , mainly because I didn't like the picture from other types of TV . However , I recently bought a 48 inch Sony 1080p LED TV and the picture is superior to my old Panasonic . The technology has moved on leaps and bounds in the last few years and the picture on my old Panasonic looked dull and lifeless by comparison .
I think that plasma TV production has been discontinued and the choice is now very limited anyway . If you can get yourself down to a John Lewis store and have a look at the myriad of TVs on offer , usually all switched on so you can compare them virtually side by side . Currys usually do the same thing , however , John Lewis offer a 5 year guarantee with most of their TVs and their service is second to none in my experience .
As Martin says , get a bigger TV if you can fit it in , because 3 months down the line you'll be wishing you had :)

Gazjam
27-08-2016, 08:19
40'' is very small. I think you should try and find space for at least a 50'' - all very well having a sharp picture but if the screen is not big enough you lose that immersive quality. You can get 60'' now for a bag of sand.

This.
Bigger the better, things get more interesting 60" and up imo.

daytona600
27-08-2016, 08:31
Projector with a electric screen takes up very little space movies on a 100+ screen

Marco
27-08-2016, 08:39

Sadly, that's not going to happen, mate. There simply isn't the room, and also we don't want our very traditional 'country cottage'-looking lounge dominated by a huge TV screen! :nono:

The main focus of attention will always be our inglenook fireplace, with wood burner, not a bloody big TV... Just a matter of personal taste and priorities :)

What's unquestionable, is that the new TV will be a MASSIVE improvement over our existing one, which is tiny, and freaking ancient!

Marco.

Marco
27-08-2016, 08:42
Projector with a electric screen takes up very little space movies on a 100+ screen

Again, not going to a happen for the above reasons. However, it's something I've been interested in doing for a while, upstairs, where the hi-fi system is :)

Marco.

Marco
27-08-2016, 08:44
This.
Bigger the better, things get more interesting 60" and up imo.

Lol.... Ain't that always that case, darling! :D

Anyway, as it's GOT to be a maximum of 43", what are your reccos, and what do you think of the Pany Viera I linked to? :)

Marco.

struth
27-08-2016, 08:56
Son has a 50" and it takes over the room a bit for me. Im using a 32" now and its big enough for the average room..its an lg, and very good.

Marco
27-08-2016, 08:58
Yeah, I'm simply not interested in having a huge TV in our lounge. Let's face it, they're ugly big monstrosities, so why turn them into a room feature? :doh:

Hiding the bugger, to best of our ability, whilst still maintaining its full functionality, is more our aim!

Marco.

CageyH
27-08-2016, 09:50
I bought a 43" LG 4K led TV. The picture quality is good.
I could not justify the additional expense for the OLED tv, especially as it is for the Mrs and I never watch it. ;)

Marco
27-08-2016, 09:55
So what is this OLED TV, of which you speak? Is it a different version of LED, and what makes it more expensive? :)

Don't think it's available in 40", though?

Marco.

The Chronicals
27-08-2016, 10:09
OLED tvs are where the pixels themselves are producing the light, therefore no 'backlight' is needed as found in LED tv's. OLED isn't perfect yet, and one could argue a high end top of the range LED would be better than mid range OLED.

4K is not needed and virtually impossible to be utilising on the resolutions available on a 40" TV, which is unfortunate as 4K is breath taking, when I got my first 4K 55", and still a relatively budget Panasonic model I was blown away by the 4K picture - but then again none-HD resolution suffers, but if you have Sky you should be ok.

Bare in mind though, the more you spend the bezels get slimmer, so you could actually end up with a bigger screen but the same size footprint...

struth
27-08-2016, 11:58
You can get honeycomb type led/lcd as well which is very good.. Panasonic do them and its easier to control the brightness of areas of screen with that than normal side lit leds. I wouldnt be spending too much as the techy is being rapidly improved, and the price will tumble in a couple of years.
Also if you dont sit in pitch dark watching tv you probably wont get so much of an advantage.

Marco
27-08-2016, 12:13
Hi Brian,

I had a Panasonic 37 inch plasma TV for around 6 years , mainly because I didn't like the picture from other types of TV . However , I recently bought a 48 inch Sony 1080p LED TV and the picture is superior to my old Panasonic . The technology has moved on leaps and bounds in the last few years and the picture on my old Panasonic looked dull and lifeless by comparison .

Yup, but I'd imagine that's more because of technology moving on, or LED being better than plasma, than necessarily any superiority of Sony over Panasonic... The picture quality on the TVs of the latter I've been looking at, of comparable size to the former, has generally looked superior to my eyes :)

If you can get yourself down to a John Lewis store and have a look at the myriad of TVs on offer , usually all switched on so you can compare them virtually side by side . Currys usually do the same thing , however , John Lewis offer a 5 year guarantee with most of their TVs and their service is second to none in my experience.

That's an interesting point, mate, and noted. So are you saying that said 5-year guarantee is not offered on the same TVs by Currys? Also, it was my understanding that Panasonic offer a 5-year guarantee on all of their TVs, although I may be wrong? The service side of things may also be relevant.

As Martin says , get a bigger TV if you can fit it in , because 3 months down the line you'll be wishing you had

43" is the most I would go to, but there doesn't seem to be many good 43" TVs....

Marco.

CageyH
27-08-2016, 12:23
The extended guarantee is a cost extra at Currys.
Another shop worth visiting is Richer Sounds. They also do a good warranty bundled with the TV.

After reading the reviews etc. I went with a LG 43UH610VM which offers good connectivity and a decent picture.
OLED is still a lot of money, and a technology in it's infancy.

Marco
27-08-2016, 13:06
Hi Michael,

OLED tvs are where the pixels themselves are producing the light, therefore no 'backlight' is needed as found in LED tv's. OLED isn't perfect yet, and one could argue a high end top of the range LED would be better than mid range OLED.

Cheers, for that. I've doing a bit of research and gather what you've said is the case. The problem for me is size, and also like others, I'm a firm believer in not buying into brand-new technology, as a) it's usually too expensive, and b) can be riddled with 'bugs', until that gets sorted out, therefore it looks like OLED is out of the equation.

I also agree with your latter statement. Like everything else, choosing a TV involves settling on some form of compromise, so it looks like mine will be 'the best 40 inches I can get', as it were! :eek: :eyebrows:

4K is not needed and virtually impossible to be utilising on the resolutions available on a 40" TV, which is unfortunate as 4K is breath taking, when I got my first 4K 55", and still a relatively budget Panasonic model I was blown away by the 4K picture - but then again none-HD resolution suffers, but if you have Sky you should be ok.

Another useful point, ta.

Bare in mind though, the more you spend the bezels get slimmer, so you could actually end up with a bigger screen but the same size footprint...

True, but I'm measuring the space I have purely for screen size, not cabinet size, although these days that amounts to next to nothing, so in that respect, 43", plus whatever on top for the 'housing' is all that's going to go on there.

We were also looking at some B&O stuff, but the prices are rather 'interesting', and also the available screen sizes seem to be too big. But if anyone can point me in the direction of a 40-43" B&O LED TV, then please do :)

Marco.

Marco
27-08-2016, 13:12
Hi Kevin,

The extended guarantee is a cost extra at Currys.
Another shop worth visiting is Richer Sounds. They also do a good warranty bundled with the TV.

Ah I see, so do John Lewis automatically offer a 5-year one? I just need to find out if Panasonic offer their own 5-year guarantee on TVs, and if so, that could swing the deal. Agree about Richer Sounds. I'd already thought about that, and there is one local to us. We've always had good service there :)

Marco.

Macca
27-08-2016, 14:17
Your never going to hide a 40 inch screen so why not just bite the bullet and go for a 50? You won't appreciate the benefit at first as you bask in the 40 inch job but once you become acclimatised you will start to regret not going bigger. The latest models have practically no surround or housing at all, hung on the wall they are just like a mirror when not in use. You'll need to think about sound as well as the built in sound is diabolical.

You'll really notice the benefit of going bigger when watching films, or the footie. I seriously advise you not to compromise on size.

struth
27-08-2016, 14:30
http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-40dx600b-led-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-40-with-freeview-play-built-in-wi-fi-art-of-interior-tailored-design/p2579837

Decent price and 5 year guarentee

Marco
27-08-2016, 14:41
Your never going to hide a 40 inch screen so why not just bite the bullet and go for a 50?

Because it won't FIT THE SPACE AVAILABLE, daftee!

The TV must be wall-mounted, in order to free-up some much needed floor space. Yes, a 40-inch screen won't exactly be hidden, but it won't be 'on show' or as obvious looking as a 50-incher would, that is if there was room to house such a thing in the first place... ;)

Also, more importantly, watching TV will always take second place in our house to listening to music, so the TV doesn't need to be the 'be all and end all'.

Marco.

Marco
27-08-2016, 14:51
http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-40dx600b-led-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-40-with-freeview-play-built-in-wi-fi-art-of-interior-tailored-design/p2579837

Decent price and 5 year guarentee

Cheers, mate. One wonders then how Currys sell any TVs, when they charge extra for a 5-year guarantee, and John Lewis include one automatically... I mean, in my position, as a potential customer for said Panasonic TV, what could possibly tempt me to buy it from Currys? :hmm:

And what about Richer Sounds, in terms of the package they're offering for the same TV.....

Marco.

struth
27-08-2016, 15:09
Lewis will usually price match too if you find it cheaper in a shop like currys. Currys tbh are con artists, especially with their pcs.. Always got a trick up their sleeve. Lewis,s are probably the best for this, but dont know why they dont get the business the currys do. Richer are not bad as well

Macca
27-08-2016, 15:09
Just been in Sainsbury's and noticed they have a 40'' Panasonic Viera for £330. You could buy two!

Also noticed there seems to be branch of Argos in there now. Not sure what that is all about.

Marco
27-08-2016, 15:34
Just been in Sainsbury's and noticed they have a 40'' Panasonic Viera for £330. You could buy two!

Also noticed there seems to be branch of Argos in there now. Not sure what that is all about.

Lol - it'll be a 'lesser model'. Needs to be the same one as we've been discussing. Also, the free 5-year guarantee is a big selling point.

Marco.

Jimbo
27-08-2016, 16:07
I have a mate at work who is a technology addict and has researched TV,s to death. He has Sky Q and decided last week to get a Sony TV capable of 4K picture quality. This is what I would go for as 4K picture quality is stunning and I believe Sky will be putting out stuff at this resolution.

If you have a computer that does 4K just look at stuff recorded in this format and you will be convinced. Ok mainstream broadcast maybe someway away but if you have a smart TV and Sky you will be able to start watching stuff.

For me Sony have the most natural picture quality. The other manufacturers although good are sometimes a bit over the top and too much.

So a 42 inch Sony smart 4K capable TV might do the trick.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/xd8305-series Here you go Marco:)

tapid
27-08-2016, 17:43
Even if you don't go as far as 4k anything HD is very,very good. The only trouble is turning onto something like itv2 the picture looks terrible in comparison so I just
mainly watch hd channels now, footie looks stunning.

brian2957
27-08-2016, 17:48
Hi Brian,

Yup, but I'd imagine that's more because of technology moving on, or LED being better than plasma, than necessarily any superiority of Sony over Panasonic... The picture quality on the TVs of the latter I've been looking at, of comparable size to the former, has generally looked superior to my eyes :)

That's an interesting point, mate, and noted. So are you saying that said 5-year guarantee is not offered on the same TVs by Currys? Also, it was my understanding that Panasonic offer a 5-year guarantee on all of their TVs, although I may be wrong? The service side of things may also be relevant.

43" is the most I would go to, but there doesn't seem to be many good 43" TVs....

Marco.

Yup agreed mate , LED TV technology simply overtook plasma over the six years I had one . The Sony was a good price and I was happy with the picture . The Panasonic TVs tend to be more expensive , but I'm not advocating one over the other in terms of picture quality or VFM.
No not everyone offers what I will describe as a '' genuine '' 5 year guarantee , so try to read the small print . Some will cost you quite a lot of money .

Marco
27-08-2016, 18:00
Hi James,

I have a mate at work who is a technology addict and has researched TV,s to death. He has Sky Q and decided last week to get a Sony TV capable of 4K picture quality. This is what I would go for as 4K picture quality is stunning and I believe Sky will be putting out stuff at this resolution.

If you have a computer that does 4K just look at stuff recorded in this format and you will be convinced. Ok mainstream broadcast maybe someway away but if you have a smart TV and Sky you will be able to start watching stuff.

For me Sony have the most natural picture quality. The other manufacturers although good are sometimes a bit over the top and too much.

So a 42 inch Sony smart 4K capable TV might do the trick.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/xd8305-series Here you go Marco:)

Excellent shout there, mate, as usual. I hadn't seen that one! :thumbsup:

However, whether it's 'better' than the Panasonic we've been discussing (shown here: http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-40dx700b-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-40-with-freeview-play-built-in-wi-fi-art-of-interior-design/p2577413#media-overlay_show), I guess is subjective :)

It's more expensive than the Pany, most probably because of being two inches bigger, but I guess I'll have to compare the two, side by side, to decide for myself...

Marco.

Marco
27-08-2016, 18:14
Even if you don't go as far as 4k anything HD is very,very good. The only trouble is turning onto something like itv2 the picture looks terrible in comparison so I just
mainly watch hd channels now, footie looks stunning.

Good point, Brian! It's like with hi-fi: once your ears become attuned to a better sound than you had before, there's no going back, and I guess it's the same with visuals :)

The footy looking stunning is my primary reason for choosing this type of TV, so I'm really looking forward to that! :cool:

Marco.

Stratmangler
27-08-2016, 18:36
The set Marco linked to does have a 5 year guarantee http://promotions.panasonic.co.uk/promotions/promotions/view_terms/117 - it's at the top of the list.
It won't stop Currys staff from lying about it, so when they suggest needing an additional warranty you can happily tell them to eff off.
Personally I'd video the staff member giving their "expert advice" and fire a copy off to head office, Panasonic, and to the relevant consumer body, and wait to see the fallout.

Jimbo
27-08-2016, 18:38
Hi James,

Excellent shout there, mate, as usual. I hadn't seen that one! :thumbsup:

However, whether it's 'better' than the Panasonic we've been discussing (shown here: http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-40dx700b-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-40-with-freeview-play-built-in-wi-fi-art-of-interior-design/p2577413#media-overlay_show), I guess is subjective :)

It's more expensive than the Pany, most probably because of being two inches bigger, but I guess I'll have to compare the two, side by side, to decide for myself...

Marco.

Those couple of inches make all the difference mate;):)

Marco
27-08-2016, 18:44
The set Marco linked to does have a 5 year guarantee http://promotions.panasonic.co.uk/promotions/promotions/view_terms/117 - it's at the top of the list.
It won't stop Currys staff from lying about it, so when they suggest needing an additional warranty you can happily tell them to eff off.
Personally I'd video the staff member giving their "expert advice" and fire a copy off to head office, Panasonic, and to the relevant consumer body, and wait to see the fallout.

Nice one, Chris... Now there's an idea! :eyebrows:

Marco.

danilo
27-08-2016, 19:52
I have a Best Buys' "Insignia" brand 42 incher. It's of decidedly mediocre quality.. more than ample for what I watch.
It was however cheap to buy $250 :eyebrows:
However the crappy thing blew out it's power board, 1 day short of it's one year warranty.
Not a hope that they would honor it.
Bought a replacement power supply/board from Ebay for ~25$ delivered... fitted it and It's back to working as well as it ever did.

Stratmangler
27-08-2016, 20:05
Nice one, Chris... Now there's an idea! :eyebrows:

Marco.

The last time I went to Currys was for a laptop.
I bought it online to collect in person, and I was not a happy bunny when the sales assistant tried to sell me antivirus software.
I informed him that the laptop already had Windows Defender on it, so A.N. Other's antivirus software was not necessary.
The cheeky sod had the gall to glibly utter the words "but it's not as good as what we're selling", and that is an outright lie.

I could imagine Microsoft jumping all over someone's bones for that bit of misinformation.

struth
27-08-2016, 20:26
Defender usually comes bottom of the class in the independant tests, although I am using it on one of my pcs at moment. Alas it takes about 4 hrs to update its definitions, so is rarely on song in time to do anthing; fortunately I have other progs like MWB to cover me; not that I go anywhere bad.

The Chronicals
27-08-2016, 21:04
Personally I would not buy anything from the Dixons group - poor and crass in-store staff attitude, horrendous aftersales customer service - its just not worth it. Richer Sounds or John Lewis, best way to go.

With you only wanting such a tiny screen, have you thought about the Philips Ambilight range that has the rear LED's to 'expand' the visual perception of size. It sounds a bit gimmicky but I actually really enjoyed watching a film on one at a colleagues house recently.

Otherwise, this is the baby version of mine, which I have been really happy with

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-tx40dx600b/pana-tx40dx600b

but the HDR version is a few hundred quid more.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-tx40dx700b/pana-tx40dx700b

The Chronicals
27-08-2016, 21:05
Philips Ambilight

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-so/televisions/p/ambilight

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/43PUS6401_12/6000-series-4k-ultra-slim-tv-powered-by-android-tvtm-with-ambilight-2-sided-and-pixel-plus-ultra-hd

Stratmangler
27-08-2016, 21:05
The IT professionals I do cable installations for are happy that Defender is good enough, so I'll take their advice rather than some spurious survey probably sponsored by such and such alternative antivirus software company.
Like any antivirus software it's only any good if its definitions are good, and I make sure the machines here are bang up to date.
I've had one incidence of malware being detected in four or so years.
I do run malwarebytes separately every now and then, and it doesn't pick up anything nasty, so Defender must be doing the business for me.

When I've used alternative antivirus software in the past it has always been the freebie version, with the exception of Kaspersky, which I ran for a year coz I picked up a copy cheap in Tesco.
I have the freebie Avast running on an old Windows XP Pro machine.

walpurgis
27-08-2016, 21:16
I guarantee this will find bugs on your computer, regardless of any other software you've used.

http://www.download25.com/install/oneclick-spyware-expert.html

It dates from 2009 believe it or not but works on every Windows intallation from XP to 10! It's free by the way.

Stratmangler
27-08-2016, 21:39
I guarantee this will find bugs on your computer, regardless of any other software you've used.

http://www.download25.com/install/oneclick-spyware-expert.html

It dates from 2009 believe it or not but works on every Windows intallation from XP to 10! It's free by the way.

Link takes me to a "this domain is for sale" page.

danilo
28-08-2016, 02:37
Defender usually comes bottom of the class in the independant tests, although I am using it on one of my pcs at moment. Alas it takes about 4 hrs to update its definitions, .

REALLY!? you Clearly have serious issues with your setup, be it crappy Internet connection or a barely operable machine.
It's a 10 to 15 second 'update' process on pretty well Any functional machine.
Best to look into it... Immediately.

TazSob
28-08-2016, 05:13
This is what I would recommend Marco, it's what we're buying in a couple of months. For a small space this TV brings out the picture and looks almost as if you could touch what your watching. You can't go wrong with a Samsung telly and with free extra guarantee from RS you'll be sorted. I also agree with the previous comments of there being no point in getting a 4k, the tech in the industry isn't there yet to justify 4k imo and you wouldn't really notice it on a 43".
The TV can connect to a number of external devices including mobile phones, usbs, and over wi-fi.
http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/SAMS-UE40K6300

Firebottle
28-08-2016, 05:47
When I was looking for a new tellie I noticed in the menu that there was a 'Showroom setting' for the picture settings.

I am very particular about how the picture is set up, I want it to look natural, not all OTT, which I think is how you are also Marco.
So when in the showroom I insisted that I had the remote and adjusted the menu settings on all TVs of interest.

I think the salesman was a little surprised, I would advise you to do the same.

:)

Jimbo
28-08-2016, 06:27
When I was looking for a new tellie I noticed in the menu that there was a 'Showroom setting' for the picture settings.

I am very particular about how the picture is set up, I want it to look natural, not all OTT, which I think is how you are also Marco.
So when in the showroom I insisted that I had the remote and adjusted the menu settings on all TVs of interest.

They display them on a vivid setting to make the picture look sharper and brighter than it should!

Marco
28-08-2016, 06:51
Personally I would not buy anything from the Dixons group - poor and crass in-store staff attitude, horrendous aftersales customer service - its just not worth it. Richer Sounds or John Lewis, best way to go.

With you only wanting such a tiny screen, have you thought about the Philips Ambilight range that has the rear LED's to 'expand' the visual perception of size. It sounds a bit gimmicky but I actually really enjoyed watching a film on one at a colleagues house recently.

Otherwise, this is the baby version of mine, which I have been really happy with

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-tx40dx600b/pana-tx40dx600b

but the HDR version is a few hundred quid more.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-tx40dx700b/pana-tx40dx700b

An interesting option there, Michael, and again something that I hadn't considered :)

The only thing that puts me off is that the TV appears to be only available from Argos, and I wouldn't buy a 'large ticket' item from them. Fine for kettles and toasters, etc, but not expensive TVs. I'm not sure that the back-up would be the best.

I wonder why the main electrical retailers, such as have been discussed, don't sell Phillips? :hmm:

Marco.

Marco
28-08-2016, 06:52
This is what I would recommend Marco, it's what we're buying in a couple of months. For a small space this TV brings out the picture and looks almost as if you could touch what your watching. You can't go wrong with a Samsung telly and with free extra guarantee from RS you'll be sorted. I also agree with the previous comments of there being no point in getting a 4k, the tech in the industry isn't there yet to justify 4k imo and you wouldn't really notice it on a 43".
The TV can connect to a number of external devices including mobile phones, usbs, and over wi-fi.
http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/SAMS-UE40K6300

Hi Taz,

Lovely TV, but curved... How would I get that on the wall? ;)

Marco.

Marco
28-08-2016, 06:56

Noted, Alan. I used to sell TVs, for House of Fraser, back in the 80s, so I know some of the tricks! In my experience, you can tell when the colour/contrast has been artificially 'forced' :)

Marco.

theabbot
28-08-2016, 07:37
Having been looking for the same as you all I would say is make sure you see the TV before you buy and that it is showing a live broadcast feed and not a demo dvd that has been made to show off the set. Also if you are interested mostly in sport try to watch it on the TV's you are thinking about as I found that because of the prescription in my glasses that I could see a shadow/lag on fast moving objects on some TV's and not others, according to the salesman it's down to the electronics not the screen.:scratch:

Jimbo
28-08-2016, 08:25
Noted, Alan. I used to sell TVs, for House of Fraser, back in the 80s, so I know some of the tricks! In my experience, you can tell when colour/contrast has been artificially 'forced' :)

Marco.

I used to sell B&O Tv's back then and there was no need to manipulate the picture then as they were so far ahead of the competition apart from Sony.

struth
28-08-2016, 08:40
REALLY!? you Clearly have serious issues with your setup, be it crappy Internet connection or a barely operable machine.
It's a 10 to 15 second 'update' process on pretty well Any functional machine.
Best to look into it... Immediately.

30sec set up from switch on to windows...and 30mb/s internet connection. Mwb sets its new defs in 30 secs. Tbh mwb premium & win patrol is mostly all you need, unless you go to bad places. Everything else spanks along well enough.

walpurgis
28-08-2016, 09:05
Link takes me to a "this domain is for sale" page.

That's odd. Not what I got at all. Anyway here another link:

http://download.cnet.com/OneClick-Spyware-Expert/3000-8022_4-10888053.html

Marco
28-08-2016, 09:33
I used to sell B&O Tv's back then and there was no need to manipulate the picture then as they were so far ahead of the competition apart from Sony.

Indeed. Not sure that's the case now, but some of the B&O TVs we've seen have looked rather impressive, but you could buy a half-decent car for the money they're asking!

Marco.

Marco
28-08-2016, 09:34
Having been looking for the same as you all I would say is make sure you see the TV before you buy and that it is showing a live broadcast feed and not a demo dvd that has been made to show off the set. Also if you are interested mostly in sport try to watch it on the TV's you are thinking about as I found that because of the prescription in my glasses that I could see a shadow/lag on fast moving objects on some TV's and not others, according to the salesman it's down to the electronics not the screen.:scratch:

Cheers, Mike. All good advice :thumbsup:

Marco.

The Chronicals
28-08-2016, 10:04
An interesting option there, Michael, and again something that I hadn't considered :)

The only thing that puts me off is that the TV appears to be only available from Argos, and I wouldn't buy a 'large ticket' item from them. Fine for kettles and toasters, etc, but not expensive TVs. I'm not sure that the back-up would be the best.

I wonder why the main electrical retailers, such as have been discussed, don't sell Phillips? :hmm:

Marco.

That is a good thought, Richer Sounds did use to sell Philips and I had my first LCD flatscreen from there, which now fifteen years on is still going strong in my mums spare room and after being dropped three times and a dimmer being put through it (dont ask!). I have always been impressed by Philips quality - so yes it is a thought as to why the bigger retailers don't stock them. In Europe mind, they are everywhere and saw more as a premium brand.

I do notice AO.com stock the Philips, but I have no experience in dealing with them, plus with JL and RS putting free five year warranties on their units, I'd stick with something from them probably...although that Philips Ambilight was REALLY good and a true immersive pleasure to watch with movies which I think would really give something extra to the small tv.

The Chronicals
28-08-2016, 10:05
Oh and thanks for starting up a TV thread, it now got me nosing around and doing some research and pining for a 65" - thanks fir that Marco! :)

Marco
28-08-2016, 10:11
That is a good thought, Richer Sounds did use to sell Philips and I had my first LCD flatscreen from there, which now fifteen years on is still going strong in my mums spare room and after being dropped three times and a dimmer being put through it (dont ask!). I have always been impressed by Philips quality - so yes it is a thought as to why the bigger retailers don't stock them. In Europe mind, they are everywhere and saw more as a premium brand.

Yes, that's very true, and noted on the first bit!

I do notice AO.com stock the Philips, but I have no experience in dealing with them, plus with JL and RS putting free five year warranties on their units, I'd stick with something from them probably...although that Philips Ambilight was REALLY good and a true immersive pleasure to watch with movies which I think would really give something extra to the small tv.

Never dealt with AO.com, and I'd rather buy from a 'bricks and mortar' retailer, when purchasing something like this, as I always feel you've got more comeback should anything go wrong. However, I shall certainly give the Ambilight due consideration. Could you expand a little on what you mean by a "true immersive pleasure"? :)

Marco.

Marco
28-08-2016, 10:15
Oh and thanks for starting up a TV thread, it now got me nosing around and doing some research and pining for a 65" - thanks fir that Marco! :)

Lol - consider it my pleasure! :D

Marco.

struth
28-08-2016, 10:15
Just did a google search on who sells them and most of initial hits were refurbished ones. Not a good advert imho. Currys were selling a cheapish one. Most of the rest were places ive not heard of... Used to like philips gear, but inclined to go with Samsung or LG nowadays

The Chronicals
28-08-2016, 10:43
Yes, that's very true, and noted on the first bit!

Never dealt with AO.com, and I'd rather buy from a 'bricks and mortar' retailer, when purchasing something like this, as I always feel you've got more comeback should anything go wrong. However, I shall certainly give the Ambilight due consideration. Could you expand a little on what you mean by a "true immersive pleasure"? :)

Marco.

Yes I agree completely, plus the service is very good from RS and JL.

Well you don't notice the lights much at first, but after a while you realise you're completely immersed into the screen and the lighting seems to 'expand' the picture in your peripheral, its not a concious thing but when I got home and watched my own tv I longed for those led's. I honestly thought it was a gimmick at first but half way through I realised it did actually work to some extent. I just thought that maybe this would enhance things for you being restricted to a small screen, but if you did get a chance to see one in action (which looks doubtful with the lack of stockists) i think it would be worth a nose at the very least.

Plus the LEDs can be turned off for normal TV, can't imagine Coronation Street would be too great with some blackpool lights action going on.

Just did a google search on who sells them and most of initial hits were refurbished ones. Not a good advert imho. Currys were selling a cheapish one. Most of the rest were places ive not heard of... Used to like philips gear, but inclined to go with Samsung or LG nowadays

I guess this is why one must go and view then in person, I can't stand the Samsung graphics engines, even with it all the wizardry turned off they still look artificial, but I guess this could also be a model dependant thing.

Also to take into consideration is the Pannys and the Sonys have Freeview/Youview, so you can go backwards on the tv guide and catch up tv shows with ease. This is one of the reasons I personally went with a Panasonic, as up until then Samsung all the licence for all the catchup apps.

TazSob
28-08-2016, 13:18
Lovely TV, but curved... How would I get that on the wall? ;)

Marco.

It fits flush on the wall and only comes out a few inches on each corner, you won't really notice the curve and for a small TV it does make the picture look smooth. I had a play with it at RS and would recommend a visit to your local one to get an idea of what's on the market, also could help narrow down a few models for you.

Marco
28-08-2016, 15:46
Thanks. Yeah, I get that.... However, I'm not sure it's the kind of look I'm aiming for, which is more 'peering into a flat landscape [of crystalline clarity]'... Flat works better on a wall, IMO. Curved, sat on top of something :)

Marco.

danilo
28-08-2016, 16:11
30sec set up from switch on to windows...and 30mb/s internet connection. Mwb sets its new defs in 30 secs. Tbh mwb premium & win patrol is mostly all you need, unless you go to bad places. Everything else spanks along well enough.

Welll that certainly reads differently from the previously mentioned/claimed ~40 mins for a defender update ?
30 secs from power up to Operable Win is reasonable performamce, arguably twice as long as it could be... but hardly a problem.

Ammonite Audio
28-08-2016, 16:13
I'm surprised that nobody so far has mentioned sound quality. Unless Marco is going to listen exclusively via a separate sound system of some sort, I'd advise extreme caution when evaluating any modern TV, since pretty much all of them except B&O have thin, screechy sound quality (a consequence of thin design, methinks). I don't have any helpful recommendations here for other TVs that may be better than most, but a friend bought a 32" LG that is better than average, SQ wise.

Anyway, my recommendation is to make sure you audition as well as assess the picture quality.

danilo
28-08-2016, 16:21
Small bit of info If I might:
Largish (40 " + units) read view.. far better... when inset mounted into a shadow box.
Slapping the things onto a wall does a genuine disservice to the things potential quality / viewing . It's merely easy to do.
Much like a shadow box picture frame... as an easily assimilated example with 4' to 6 '' of free space width between TV bezel and edge of the enclosure.
Yesss it adds significant complexity to the install and costs of a Flat screen. But it really does add significantly to the viewing.

Marco
28-08-2016, 16:29
Hi Hugo,

Very good (and valid) point! I'll be putting the TV through a little AV/'home cinema' system, so that issue (which, like you. normally does my tits in) will be resolved :)

I quite like this little Yamaha AV receiver (as I hate the big, fat bulky usual variety: http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/yamaha-rx-s601-av-receiver-musiccast?gclid=CjwKEAjwxeq9BRDDh4_MheOnvAESJABZ4V TqEQDhBP-QVTyON-lrJ_1Hr6MB9l-vZ42nWv6yG5tkBxoC8UHw_wcB), which I'd hook up to the TV and my Celestion 15XR standmounts. Might explore the 'MusicCast' side of things, too.

Marco.

The Chronicals
28-08-2016, 18:50
I'm surprised that nobody so far has mentioned sound quality. Unless Marco is going to listen exclusively via a separate sound system of some sort, I'd advise extreme caution when evaluating any modern TV, since pretty much all of them except B&O have thin, screechy sound quality (a consequence of thin design, methinks). I don't have any helpful recommendations here for other TVs that may be better than most, but a friend bought a 32" LG that is better than average, SQ wise.

Anyway, my recommendation is to make sure you audition as well as assess the picture quality.

Have to massively disagree with that, my Panasonic has a wonderful sound, with its built in subwoofer - obviously not hifi quality but it sure beats my previous Denon 5.1 surround system that was all boomy and tinny. A smaller tv will of course have smaller speakers, and being mounted on the wall will generate less bass and bottom mid as it dosent have the space between the wall and the mounting platform to grow the sound.

Tv's move on every year, so it really is imperative to try them all before purchase - or like me where the cost is the deciding factor, take your chances with what you can afford, and hope for the best!

Ammonite Audio
29-08-2016, 13:30
Your Panasonic must be a relatively old design with plenty of chassis depth, then. I know of nobody with a newish large flat screen TV who is satisfied with the built in sound. It is not possible to squeeze decent sized speakers into these things, and mostly they are directed to the rear anyway, so decent sound is always going to be a struggle. If I had the room and the funds, I'd definitely buy a B&O TV, with the cute motorised speakers that only appear when you turn the thing on.

Marco
29-08-2016, 15:22
So.... We went into John Lewis today, to take a look at the 40-inch Panasonic TV we've been discussing, namely this: http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-40dx700b-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-40-with-freeview-play-built-in-wi-fi-art-of-interior-design/p2577413#media-overlay_show

...and got the guy to optimise the picture with a live feed. The picture was certainly superb in every way, and so the Pany defo fits the bill, in terms of what we're looking for from a modern TV. However, I'd also like to have a look at the 43-inch Sony that Jim mentioned, namely this chap: http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/xd8305-series

...and compare it with the older, outgoing, model (which I've found is why they're currently selling it off at a reduced price), namely this: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/sony-bravia-kd43x8309cbu-smart-4k-ultra-hd-43-led-tv-10126467-pdt.html

...together also with the Panasonic (above) we seen today, and then make a final decision on which TV to buy.

To facilitate the Sony comparison, we're going to our local Sony Centre this weekend to compare the two models we're looking at side by side, as they're going to be the first stores to get the new model in.

Apparently the newer, more expensive model, has a faster processor and superior screen resolution, so we'll be looking for demonstrated evidence of that, along with any potential advantages of having a screen that's 3-inches bigger.

I'll report back in due course and announce the winner! :cool:

Marco.

The Chronicals
29-08-2016, 16:38
Your Panasonic must be a relatively old design with plenty of chassis depth, then. I know of nobody with a newish large flat screen TV who is satisfied with the built in sound. It is not possible to squeeze decent sized speakers into these things, and mostly they are directed to the rear anyway, so decent sound is always going to be a struggle. If I had the room and the funds, I'd definitely buy a B&O TV, with the cute motorised speakers that only appear when you turn the thing on.

Nope its a 2015 model, fantastic it is, the sound blew me away as much as the picture. But I appreciate its just a TV, not a hifi and rate it on those merits. Plus i can always turn my amp on if I want a big sound - the joys of Peachtree amplifier ownership.

Plus it was £800, rather than a bend over because im a mug BO price :)

So.... We went into John Lewis today, to take a look at the 40-inch Panasonic TV we've been discussing, namely this: http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-40dx700b-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-40-with-freeview-play-built-in-wi-fi-art-of-interior-design/p2577413#media-overlay_show

...and got the guy to optimise the picture with a live feed. The picture was certainly superb in every way, and so the Pany defo fits the bill, in terms of what we're looking for from a modern TV. However, I'd also like to have a look at the 43-inch Sony that Jim mentioned, namely this chap: http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/xd8305-series

...and compare it with the older, outgoing, model (which I've found is why they're currently selling it off at a reduced price), namely this: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/sony-bravia-kd43x8309cbu-smart-4k-ultra-hd-43-led-tv-10126467-pdt.html

...together also with the Panasonic (above) we seen today, and then make a final decision on which TV to buy.

To facilitate the Sony comparison, we're going to our local Sony Centre this weekend to compare the two models we're looking at side by side, as they're going to be the first stores to get the new model in.

Apparently the newer, more expensive model, has a faster processor and superior screen resolution, so we'll be looking for demonstrated evidence of that, along with any potential advantages of having a screen that's 3-inches bigger.

I'll report back in due course and announce the winner! :cool:

Marco.

My current 65" search (thanks to you!) has been narrowed down to a Sony or a Panasonic as well, I do think they are the best makers of tvs at the moment.

Ill await with baited breath for your decision!

Marco
29-08-2016, 17:52
Cheers, Michael. It's all about adding to the AoS collective pool of information :)

Once the TV is chosen, then it'll be all systems-go, getting it installed and the set-up optimised by a local Sat/TV installation company, along with Sky Q. After that, I'll be choosing a BluRay player/AV amp, and finalising my modest little home cinema system, in time for winter.

Should be fun! :cool:

Marco.

danilo
29-08-2016, 23:23
Nope its a 2015 model, fantastic it is, the sound blew me away as much as the picture. But I appreciate its just a TV, not a hifi and rate it on those merits. Plus i can always turn my amp on if I want a big sound - the joys of Peachtree amplifier ownership.

Plus it was £800, rather than a bend over because im a mug BO price :)

My current 65" search (thanks to you!) has been narrowed down to a Sony or a Panasonic as well, I do think they are the best makers of tvs at the moment.

Ill await with baited breath for your decision!

Erm Samsung supplies TV screens to Sony.. they have had an agreement for several years now :-)
Sony is starting an R&D joint venture with Sharp (announced yesterday) most likely to repatriate production/knowledge.
6 k in on the way... For the truly Greedy.
Nephew, who manages the Polygon MotX bicylce team
Says they are in the production Que for 6K camera gear expected deliveries early in new year. l Asked him why? given that 4k is iffy enough.
Said that 6 k allows taping action (no missing of important bits) with a widish angle lens and even with the resultant necessary cropping, still results in 4k image resolution.
Whereas 4 k resolution drops like a rock with cropping.
First intelligent /convincing usage explanation I've yet heard.

The Chronicals
30-08-2016, 07:32
Erm Samsung supplies TV screens to Sony.. they have had an agreement for several years now :-)

There are only a minimal amount of screen producers that is common knowledge, the screen has nothing to do with the motion engines designed by the various companies that are all individual.

The Chronicals
30-08-2016, 07:36
Cheers, Michael. It's all about adding to the AoS collective pool of information :)

Once the TV is chosen, then it'll be all systems-go, getting it installed and the set-up optimised by a local Sat/TV installation company, along with Sky Q. After that, I'll be choosing a BluRay player/AV amp, and finalising my modest little home cinema system, in time for winter.

Should be fun! :cool:

Marco.

Set it up yourself! lots of how to guides and discs available, more fun learning how to do it yourself. Its not rocket science, but can be a little daunting when starting out.

Yomanze
30-08-2016, 11:36
Hi, you cannot go wrong with: Sony KDL-40W705C

I recently got one to replace my aging Toshiba. It's slim, small bezel, awesome screen, upscales SD material really well, built-in Smart / streaming functionality, under £400, what's not to like. :)

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/media.markselectrical.co.uk/item-images/full/KDL40W705C.alt1.jpg

Marco
30-08-2016, 15:09
Set it up yourself! lots of how to guides and discs available, more fun learning how to do it yourself. Its not rocket science, but can be a little daunting when starting out.

Thanks, but I'd rather leave it to the professionals. That way, I know that I've got the set-up optimised, rather than bodged by me! Once everything's all properly set-up though, I'll probably have a fiddle and get to know how things work ;)

There's a local guy we use who's great and doesn't charge much, so not a major issue :)

Marco.

stevied
30-08-2016, 17:11
Anything Samsung

Marco
03-09-2016, 07:57
Off to the Sony centre today to look at the TV mentioned and do some comparisons. Will report on results later! :cool:

Marco.

tubehunter
03-09-2016, 08:37
Recently bought a new Sony 43" KDL-43W809C Smart TV

I think you saw it last time you were round

An excellent piece of kit, as you would expect from Sony.

Happy days

brian2957
03-09-2016, 09:50
Mines is the 48 inch version of this TV Duncan and I'm very happy with it .

Mark Grant
03-09-2016, 09:57
Some of the Sony's run Android and support Google Cast which I really like as no extra dongles needed to watch content from your phone or tablet etc.

https://youtu.be/lD9mZ1hzQZE

lD9mZ1hzQZE

MikeMusic
03-09-2016, 14:22
There is the cheapskate option....

I picked up a 50" Panasonic plasma from Ebay. £110
Has loads of inputs from ye olde Scart which I need for ye olde Tivo, plus HDMI, internet, PC (VGA ?) and some others

In my quite big room I'm still not sure about the size and wonder if the 42" would have been better for us
Same model comes in 42"

Good picture quality for sure

Marco
03-09-2016, 17:41
Some of the Sony's run Android and support Google Cast which I really like as no extra dongles needed to watch content from your phone or tablet etc.

Yup, Mark, the one we've just bought has Google Cast and Android facility :)

Anyway, just back from the Worcester Sony Centre (unfortunately, the nearer Wolverhampton branch didn't have what we were looking for), and the deal is done!

A 170-mile round trip, but it was worth it, as we also had a lovely lunch and tour round of Worcester. So.... Sony XD83 4K HDR TV duly purchased - what an UTTERLY STUNNING picture this TV produces, and significantly better than the outgoing model, which it will be replacing.

The Sony was chosen primarily over the Panasonic we'd been looking at because it had the bigger screen. Both TVs, however, have superb picture quality, with the Sony just edging it.

We carried out a side-by-side comparison in the shop, using a live aerial feed, and the depth/naturalness and sharpness of the colours (due to superior resolution) of the XD83, over its Sony predecessor, was most evident. Just in case any of you are wondering why we travelled that far to buy the TV, it was because it's only the Sony centres that have them in just now.

This particular model is brand new and the current flagship 43" TV from Sony. I believe that they'll be released into other main stores in two weeks.

While we were there, as it is my intention to build a little home cinema system for the lounge, we also bought a dinky little Sony Blu-ray player (which also doubles as a DVD/CD player) to do us just now until I get something later, such as an Oppo, which I'd buy from you, Mark.

I'll see how good this little Sony is, and if's ok but not up to the job for the home cinema system, I'll put it in our bedroom to play stuff on the TV there, which will be included as part of our new Sky Q network. This is the little Sony player in question: https://centresdirect.co.uk/p-14861-bdps6700bcek.aspx

I got it discounted down to £125, as we also bought a home cinema amp. This one: https://centresdirect.co.uk/p-12357-strdn1060cek.aspx We got that discounted to £399.99! And the guy also chucked in £60 worth of HDMI cables for nothing (this stuff: http://www.whathifi.com/peerless-av/al-hd05/overview), so not a bad deal all-in ;)

The TV, amp and Blu-ray player will be played through my Celestion 15XRs, and I'll be getting a little sub-woofer later and some rear speakers, to finish off the system. Now to set it all up - I may be some time! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
03-09-2016, 18:20
Recently bought a new Sony 43" KDL-43W809C Smart TV

I think you saw it last time you were round

An excellent piece of kit, as you would expect from Sony.

Happy days

Hi Dunc,

Happy days, indeed, mate. Your Sony's a belter. Thought it was bigger than 43", though? Anyway, this one's the new model - and it's *really* good! :)

Marco.

struth
03-09-2016, 18:32
looks decent for the money. bravias usually are lol. well big enough too...

Marco
03-09-2016, 19:00
Cheers, mate. Looking forward to getting it all set up, with the amp and Blu-ray player :cool:

The amp must have a fairly substantial PSU inside it, as it's no lightweight! :eek:

Marco.

Macca
03-09-2016, 19:10
The TV, amp and Blu-ray player will be played through my Celestion 15XRs, and I'll be getting a little sub-woofer later and some rear speakers, to finish off the system. Now to set it all up - I may be some time! :cool:

Marco.

It's a 7.2 channel amp so you need 5 surround speakers and 2 subs ;)

Marco
03-09-2016, 19:34
Only if you want to use those facilities (as a 7.2 channel amp). Otherwise, I can just connect the Celestions as stereo speakers (and fronts) and use one sub. I asked the guy in the shop :)

Nice to have the option, though ;)

Marco.

Mark Grant
04-09-2016, 20:53
You will be OK without a subwoofer for a start, set the front speakers to full range in the AV amp set up menus and all should be good.

If the TV is going in the right hand corner of your living room I would look into moving your right hand speaker to the right hand side of the TV and the left hand speaker to where your right speaker is now, wont look as symmetrical around the fireplace as it is now but the screen will be between the two speakers which is best.

Marco
04-09-2016, 21:34
Hi Mark,

Some good advice there, mate, as usual :)

We were going to wait until we contacted a local TV/Sat installation company to come and tune-in the TV and set up everything, but with a bit of effort we managed to tune-in the TV ourselves. However, we want it wall-mounted (directly above where the old TV was on the cabinet, if you remember the layout), on a tilt and swing-mount mechanism, so the company concerned are coming to do that tomorrow, and we'll ask them to check that we've carried out the tuning-in properly, just to be sure.

I'm also waiting until the new TV is taken off of the cabinet, which we've put there temporarily until it's fixed to the wall, before I install the new AV amp and Blu-ray player, as both of those will need to sit on top of the cabinet, where the TV was. Anyway, all that's happening tomorrow.

I'll also be rearranging the room a little, so yes as you suggest, the speakers will be getting moved away from either side of the fireplace, and will be placed either where you've suggested or along the wall, under the window.

Noted on the subwoofer, and yes I won't be getting that right away, although I've been looking at a few. What's your view on having a dedicated centre speaker - any major advantages over just using the Celestions for that job, and as fronts? Also, what about rear speakers? The last time I had a little home cinema set-up, years ago, they helped significantly in creating that 'at the cinema experience'.

Anyway, I've just been watching some live football, on Sky Sports (Scotland beating Malta 1-5 in the World Cup qualifiers), and on this Sony, the experience was just stunning!! The clarity and level of image resolution is such that it nearly looks as if you're watching in 3D! You can almost count the blades of grass on the field - and that's not even on HD, just normal Sky. Wait until I get Sky Q installed, and take advantage of the 4K resolution...! :eek:

Also, in our size of room a 43" screen is just perfect, looking both 'cinematically large enough', to create that almost 'being there' feeling, but without dominating the room. Anyway, for anyone in the market for a top-notch 4K flat-screen TV, I can't recommend the Sony XD83 highly enough - it's a truly amazing piece of kit! :cool:

Marco.

Mark Grant
04-09-2016, 22:27
Hi Mark,

Some good advice there, mate, as usual :)

What's your view on having a dedicated centre speaker - any major advantages over just using the Celestions for that job, and as fronts?
I always try to help:)

If you have a centre speaker enabled all the voices and sounds that are on the screen as centre channel information will be sent to the centre speaker so it needs to be a good one and sound similar to the main speakers as otherwise when sounds pan across the front you will notice the change in voices and tone etc as sounds move left to right for example, ideally the three front speakers would be identical.

I would try without a centre speaker so the sounds that would have been sent to the centre speaker are mixed with the left and right channel and appear in the middle just like in a stereo recording with a singer middle of stage.
Most TV programs have a lot of music and sound great through good speakers and better as two channel than any simulated surround effects, all in my opinion :)

Also, what about rear speakers?
OK if you can find somewhere to put them where you are not too close to them or they can be annoying if too near you ears.

Looks like you will be having fun with new toys :)

Macca
05-09-2016, 07:39
Don't waste your money on a centre speaker. Just disable it in the menu and have the left and right speakers create a central stereo image as they are designed to do, and which works just fine, the same way it works with music.

Marco
05-09-2016, 09:04
Noted, guys... Cool :thumbsup:

I'll keep you posted on progress and take a few pics, once everything is up and running :)

Marco.

TazSob
05-09-2016, 13:33
Only if you want to use those facilities (as a 7.2 channel amp). Otherwise, I can just connect the Celestions as stereo speakers (and fronts) and use one sub. I asked the guy in the shop :)

Nice to have the option, though ;)

Marco.

I'm using a Yamaha Rx v675 with only 2 floorstanders, the unit is bi-amped and you can use it as a 7.2, 5.1 or even 2.1...there are so many options with these AV receivers. There is a Yamaha AV remote app you can download and it will allow you to control the unit from anywhere you have WiFi, for the 2nd room option this is very handy and I use it as my main remote for my receiver..
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/apps/av_controller/

The Chronicals
05-09-2016, 16:43
Must be Sony week, my 65" Sony comes tomorrow :)

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x8500c-series

Macca
05-09-2016, 16:48
That is one hell of a telly for just over a bag of sand. It wasn't that long ago that a 60 inch plasma was five grand. Sorely tempted myself. Need my old one to pack in but is also a Sony so will probably outlive me.

Marco
05-09-2016, 17:36
Must be Sony week, my 65" Sony comes tomorrow :)

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x8500c-series

Trust me, Michael, you're in for a treat - it will be utterly stunning!! The model you're buying was on display in the Sony shop, when we bought ours. Prepare to bring the Odeon to your living room., minus the farting and popcorn rustling... ;)

Marco.

The Chronicals
05-09-2016, 17:38
That is one hell of a telly for just over a bag of sand. It wasn't that long ago that a 60 inch plasma was five grand. Sorely tempted myself. Need my old one to pack in but is also a Sony so will probably outlive me.

Aint it just. It was £2600 when it came out this time last year...Most places have it currently at around £1500, RGB have them at £1300, I paid a grand, brand new with some wireless sony headphones and included delivery. Bargain of the year considering I got sold my Panasonic for not far off that...I like cheap upgrades :)

The Chronicals
05-09-2016, 17:39
Trust me, Michael, you're in for a treat - it will be utterly stunning!! The model you're buying was on display in the Sony shop, when we bought ours. Prepare to bring the Odeon to your living room., minus the farting and popcorn rustling... ;)

Marco.

Awesome :) I havent seen the picture quality yet, bought it blind, was hoping it was going to be epic - and you've confirmed that it may just be :)

Marco
05-09-2016, 17:42
Hi Taz,

I'm using a Yamaha Rx v675 with only 2 floorstanders, the unit is bi-amped and you can use it as a 7.2, 5.1 or even 2.1...there are so many options with these AV receivers. There is a Yamaha AV remote app you can download and it will allow you to control the unit from anywhere you have WiFi, for the 2nd room option this is very handy and I use it as my main remote for my receiver..
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/apps/av_controller/

Thanks for the info. Yup, lots of options to consider. I'll be keeping it simple for the moment, but at some point in future the temptation of going 'all 7.2' may prove too much! :eyebrows:

The good thing is that the room is quite small and the shape lends itself to doing something effective along those lines.

Marco.

Marco
05-09-2016, 17:49
Awesome :) I havent seen the picture quality yet, bought it blind, was hoping it was going to be epic - and you've confirmed that it may just be :)

"Epic" is how I would imagine a 65" version of ours... Certainly in the shop, it looked epic! They made a feature of the TV, by creating a living room setting, with some sofas, etc, in front of it. It was certainly an 'immersive' viewing experience: rather like 'peering into a crystalline pool of life', than looking at a TV screen, is how I'd put it.

That's certainly what I'm getting here with its little brother. Enjoy! :cool:

Marco.

TazSob
05-09-2016, 17:57
Hi Taz,

Thanks for the info. Yup, lots of options to consider. I'll be keeping it simple for the moment, but at some point in future the temptation of going 'all 7.2' may prove too much! :eyebrows:

The good thing is that the room is quite small and the shape lends itself to doing something effective along those lines.

Marco.

On my receiver I'm only using it as a 2 speaker set up and will like you give in to the temptation, got an extremely fussy neighbour who loves grassing on me even though I don't play loud music or movies, the comment earlier about a centre speaker matching the left and right speaker was bang on.
What I am thinking of my next step is adding some presence speakers, these will help lift the dialogue higher if the telly isn't level with the speakers, pretty impressive and the av amp has settings for this too

Mark Grant
05-09-2016, 18:08
Aint it just. It was £2600 when it came out this time last year...Most places have it currently at around £1500, RGB have them at £1300, I paid a grand, brand new with some wireless sony headphones and included delivery. Bargain of the year considering I got sold my Panasonic for not far off that...I like cheap upgrades :)
That is amazing for a grand !

Our old 50" Fujitsu plasma that was the dogs bollocks when new still works perfectly and keeps the room warm with all its wasted power consumption and cooling fans blowing the warm air out and provides a great picture, when it dies something like this will replace it and use less electricity :)

The Chronicals
05-09-2016, 18:24
That is amazing for a grand !

Our old 50" Fujitsu plasma that was the dogs bollocks when new still works perfectly and keeps the room warm with all its wasted power consumption and cooling fans blowing the warm air out and provides a great picture, when it dies something like this will replace it and use less electricity :)

Thankfully because you had no phono cable connectors, that was an £80 contribution to the fund :)

I dont normally replace things till they break, but I got a silly offer for my Panny tv so it would of been silly not too!

Marco
06-09-2016, 07:46
I don't think you'll be disappointed. So when is the beast arriving? :)

Marco.

The Chronicals
06-09-2016, 12:57
I don't think you'll be disappointed. So when is the beast arriving? :)

Marco.

Well im sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting....still thinking the company may of backed realising they did it far too cheap :)

Marco
06-09-2016, 15:45
It's a mentally-silly bargain, that's for sure :)

Marco.

danilo
06-09-2016, 18:06
Yesterday helped my younger son wall mount his just bought 48" Samsung 'smart' TV (450$ at Costco)
He was replacing an older Massive 60" incher. Too big as it dominated the room in his new home.
Thing weighs 19 lbs and uses less than 100 watts power. We thought the Box was empty at first :(.
Seemed to work well. Instant automatic setup. Netflicks etc up 'n running inside of 30 seconds.
Dunno about smart but it's dead easy to use.

Marco
06-09-2016, 19:12
Yesterday helped my younger son wall mount his just bought 48" Samsung 'smart' TV (450$ at Costco)
Thing weighs 19 lbs and uses less than 100 watts power. We thought the Box was empty at first :(.

Interesting.... I can't find the relevant weight figures, but the Sony XD83 I've just bought feels substantially heavier than that when I lifted it, and it's only a 43" TV. It's definitely the electronics inside causing the weight, because the ultra-slim 'cabinet' is minimal...

Marco.

The Chronicals
06-09-2016, 19:53
Well its now setup! Im calling it Collosus.

Took longer for its Android system to update than anything else - almost an hour from turning it first on to seeing a picture, mental!

First quick impressions -

Pro's

HD Picture is MUCH better than my out going callabrated Panasonic
Sound is clearer - no where near as bad as reviews have stated, but dosent quite have the midrange depth that the Panny had
I think the latest updates have sorted out the reported speed issues - it is slick and works nicely with a good pace when using the operating system
Havent tried 4k blu ray yet - gonna pick something special for that occasion :)

Cons

I hate the brushed aluminium bezel, its really upsetting me. Unfortunately it would of cost £600 more for the black one, so beggars cant be choosers.
SD Picture is possible worse currently, maybe due to the increased size showing the flaws
Picture reflects off the chrome stand
Needs some minor callibration - its set up for a teenagers bedroom out of the box - all super bright and lairy and soap opera motion

Marco
06-09-2016, 20:52
Well its now setup! Im calling it Collosus.

Took longer for its Android system to update than anything else - almost an hour from turning it first on to seeing a picture, mental!

Yup, I found the same, but when the picture came through, the wait was more than worth it!

HD Picture is MUCH better than my out going callabrated Panasonic
Sound is clearer - no where near as bad as reviews have stated, but dosent quite have the midrange depth that the Panny had...

Are you talking about the in-built sound from the TV itself, without going through a separate amp? I've still to set up the AV amp, so I'd agree that the TV sound itself is far from shabby, especially once you've optimised the equalisation settings.

I hate the brushed aluminium bezel, its really upsetting me.

I keep hearing this word "bezel" - what it, a fancy name for the TV's surround/cabinet? I'm afraid that I'm not up to speed yet on all this modern 'AV lingo' ;)

Oh, and if so I agree. Mine is black. The 'silver' finish just looks wrong.

SD Picture is possible worse currently, maybe due to the increased size showing the flaws
Needs some minor callibration - its set up for a teenagers bedroom out of the box - all super bright and lairy and soap opera motion

The first bit I think is likely to be true. The second bit will hopefully sort out the first bit! Let us know how things progress when you tweak things more :cool:

Marco.

The Chronicals
06-09-2016, 21:22
Yup, I found the same, but when the picture came through, the wait was more than worth it!

Are you talking about the in-built sound from the TV itself, without going through a separate amp? I've still to set up the AV amp, so I'd agree that the TV sound itself is far from shabby, especially once you've optimised the equalisation settings.

I keep hearing this word "bezel" - what it, a fancy name for the TV's surround/cabinet? I'm afraid that I'm not up to speed yet on all this modern 'AV lingo' ;)

The first bit I think is likely to be true. The second bit will hopefully sort out the first bit! Let us know how things progress when you tweak things more :cool:

Marco.

Yes regarding the sound - I have just played around with the EQ a little and got a little more midrange push which has softened up nicely. It really isn't that bad at all, I really dont know what people to expect from a flat TV! I was really nervous hoping I wouldnt have to fork out for a soundbar, but I definitely dont need too. I haven't tried the optical output yet which is fed into my Peachtree and speakers - I rarely use it for films as of neighbours underneath, but now and again when I see their car out I watch something with the speakers on. Ill give it a whirl tomorrow! Never liked true surround sound,so the 2.1 setup works great for me.

The bezel is the 'frame' around the screen, generally either black or silver, manufacturers swap each year - this year Panasonic has more silver, last year they have more black, Sony vice versa. My dad loves silver and woukdnt buy black, but I think in a perfect world blacj would be better for me, it blends into my walls more.

I have a set of calibration settings which will get it to about 98% perfect - the 2% being the amount that getting it personally done to suit the room would gain - but I haven't any money for that, and the Panasonic ones worked out great, so i'll be putting them all in tomorrow.

Then its on to finding the DLNA support and see if I can get it read my NAS drive :)

Marco
06-09-2016, 21:59
Noted on "bezel". That seems like a relatively new term, which has come out since flat-screen TVs have been introduced. Anyway, yes, for me any colour there is fine, as long as it's black! ;)

I think the TV's sound on its own is very good, but not really conducive to creating a believable 'cinematic experience'. That's why I'm looking forward to hooking it up to the Sony AV amp and putting it through the Celestions, which will be happening when the engineer calls tomorrow (after an initial delay due to illness) to fix the TV onto the wall, via the use of a tilt & swivel bracket.

When he's there, I'll be ensuring that I'm getting the maximum from all the TVs facilities, including the best possible picture and sound quality - together with the best possible results from the AV amp, in terms of creating a believable 'snapshot' of the home-cinema experience.

In order to help facilitate that, I purchased a few 'toys' today from my local hi-fi shop in Wrexham, called Acton Gate Audio, namely a Supra Lo-Rad 6-way distribution block (which they were selling off at a reduced price): http://acton-gate-audio.co.uk/products/product_details.asp?CategoryName=Cable+and+Interco nnects&SubCategoryName=Mains+Power&ManufacturerName=Supra&ProductName=Supra%20LoRad%206%20way%20Mains%20Dist ribution%20Block&ProductID=3207 as the mains sockets in the lounge aren't currently connected to my dedicated mains spur, so I want to improve matters there a little, as experience tells me that how a system receives power from the mains supply makes a huge difference to how it performs - even in an AV system :)

I also bought a 2m Supra Lo-Rad 2.5 mains lead to go with it, acting as the flex, (terminated with Supra's own official IEC and 13A plug), which again was reduced. Plus I know the guys there well, and they always give me a good deal. I also bought a 'fancy' figure-8 mains lead, from Audioquest, for the Blu-ray player and Sky HD box, see here: http://acton-gate-audio.co.uk/products/product_details.asp?CategoryName=Cable+and+Interco nnects&SubCategoryName=Mains+Power&ManufacturerName=Audioquest&ProductName=NRG1%20figure%208%20mains%20cable&ProductID=3054

And finally some super-thin (but good) Chord Sarsen speaker cable, to hook up the Celestions: http://acton-gate-audio.co.uk/products/product_details.asp?CategoryName=Cable+and+Interco nnects&SubCategoryName=Speaker+Cable&ManufacturerName=Chord&ProductName=Chord%20Sarsen%20speaker%20cable&ProductID=3346

It's super-thin nature and neutral-coloured outer sleeve was important, as in this set-up I want these cables hidden as much as possible. Should be fun when everything's all set-up. I'll report the results here and take a few pics :cool:

Marco.

struth
06-09-2016, 22:23
thought you sold the celestions?

Marco
06-09-2016, 22:26
Yup, the 66s, mate, not the 15XR standmounts... It's the latter I'll be using for the home-cinema set up :)

Marco.

danilo
06-09-2016, 23:05
Interesting.... I can't find the relevant weight figures, but the Sony XD83 I've just bought feels substantially heavier than that when I lifted it, and it's only a 43" TV. It's definitely the electronics inside causing the weight, because the ultra-slim 'cabinet' is minimal...

Marco.

Yes a bit offputting at first . Also realised the the included tabletop stand accounted for at least 5 !? of those pounds..it being a plastic encased metal frame.
Did notice that during my diy repair (new PS board) of my Cheapo 42" incher that the electronics weighed next to nothing, 3 Envelope sized pcbs with a handfull of IC's and 3 ribbon cables.
A long array of Rom chips and the screen itself, which was likely the bulk of it's v low weight.
Brothers 48" Bravia (3 years old) takes two men and a dog to Heft and by observation doesn't have a superior image to the Samsung of yesterday.
Much like current Phones.. weight alone is likely an unreliable determinant of 'goodness'.

Marco
07-09-2016, 06:50
Yeah, that's definitely true, although with certain types of electronics high weight can reflect the use of a substantial PSU, which is usually associated with equipment capable of top-notch performance :)

Marco.

The Chronicals
07-09-2016, 09:24
Noted on "bezel". That seems like a relatively new term, which has come out since flat-screen TVs have been introduced. Anyway, yes, for me any colour there is fine, as long as it's black! ;)

I think the TV's sound on its own is very good, but not really conducive to creating a believable 'cinematic experience'. That's why I'm looking forward to hooking it up to the Sony AV amp and putting it through the Celestions, which will be happening when the engineer calls tomorrow (after an initial delay due to illness) to fix the TV onto the wall, via the use of a tilt & swivel bracket.

When he's there, I'll be ensuring that I'm getting the maximum from all the TVs facilities, including the best possible picture and sound quality - together with the best possible results from the AV amp, in terms of creating a believable 'snapshot' of the home-cinema experience.

In order to help facilitate that, I purchased a few 'toys' today from my local hi-fi shop in Wrexham, called Acton Gate Audio, namely a Supra Lo-Rad 6-way distribution block (which they were selling off at a reduced price): http://acton-gate-audio.co.uk/products/product_details.asp?CategoryName=Cable+and+Interco nnects&SubCategoryName=Mains+Power&ManufacturerName=Supra&ProductName=Supra%20LoRad%206%20way%20Mains%20Dist ribution%20Block&ProductID=3207 as the mains sockets in the lounge aren't currently connected to my dedicated mains spur, so I want to improve matters there a little, as experience tells me that how a system receives power from the mains supply makes a huge difference to how it performs - even in an AV system :)

I also bought a 2m Supra Lo-Rad 2.5 mains lead to go with it, acting as the flex, (terminated with Supra's own official IEC and 13A plug), which again was reduced. Plus I know the guys there well, and they always give me a good deal. I also bought a 'fancy' figure-8 mains lead, from Audioquest, for the Blu-ray player and Sky HD box, see here: http://acton-gate-audio.co.uk/products/product_details.asp?CategoryName=Cable+and+Interco nnects&SubCategoryName=Mains+Power&ManufacturerName=Audioquest&ProductName=NRG1%20figure%208%20mains%20cable&ProductID=3054

And finally some super-thin (but good) Chord Sarsen speaker cable, to hook up the Celestions: http://acton-gate-audio.co.uk/products/product_details.asp?CategoryName=Cable+and+Interco nnects&SubCategoryName=Speaker+Cable&ManufacturerName=Chord&ProductName=Chord%20Sarsen%20speaker%20cable&ProductID=3346

It's super-thin nature and neutral-coloured outer sleeve was important, as in this set-up I want these cables hidden as much as possible. Should be fun when everything's all set-up. I'll report the results here and take a few pics :cool:

Marco.

You really are going to town arent you! :) Sounds like it will be a great setup especially with the mains treatments. A lot of people diss speaker and mains cables, claiming they make no difference, but they do. Its not a sweeping difference, but finer elements are 'dialed in' - althougt never played around with them much in terms of AV stuff other than power cables.

I think the whole cinematic sound should never be expected from a TV - its not a cinema, its just a telebox, I always feel as long as the sound is clear, with a good frequency range and depth then that is all that is needed/expected - as you are doing, want bigger, go bigger with the amp and speakers. I love running s film through my Hifi, the Peachtree Dac is amazing, but the speakers are a very warm variant, so it takes the edge off those atypical cinema shrieking high trebles.

One downside I have found is the power cable on mine is integrated, so I cant use my Black Rhodium one which showed a marked improvement on clarity when used with the Panasonic. Not the end of the world as the picture really is that good!

The silver bezel is still bugging me majorly though, Im not sure I can live with it full time, its like having a 65" picture frame when its turned off.

struth
07-09-2016, 09:47
Stick some black tape over it. Sure you can find something nice.

Sound wise, i used to have a av system and although it was very good, i found it took me away a bit from the pictures, so disposed of it. Quite like the sound from a telly now; it just feels right

TazSob
07-09-2016, 11:24
The silver bezel is still bugging me majorly though, Im not sure I can live with it full time, its like having a 65" picture frame when its turned off.

You could try that black vinyl used on cars... It's easily manageable and could be fitted to the bezel without much work. Available on eBay pretty cheap too, although Grant's idea is easier

The Chronicals
07-09-2016, 12:44
You could try that black vinyl used on cars... It's easily manageable and could be fitted to the bezel without much work. Available on eBay pretty cheap too, although Grant's idea is easier

Yes ive used Vinyl wrap before on my cars and I was toying with the idea, but running a scalpel blade that close to the lcd panel scares the life out of me, but it is possible, I do have a friend who is a surgeon, they might be better with that blade. Its an idea.

Tape is a definitely no no, I like a bit of style , rag and bone man is not my thing :)

Macca
07-09-2016, 15:40
, I do have a friend who is a surgeon, they might be better with that blade.

I'd hope so....

You've got me looking at tellys on Amazon now. Did you know you can get an 85 incher? I remember renting a 28 inch Hitachi in about 1992 and thinking I'd arrived. How times change. when I cancelled the rental in about 1999 I asked them if they wanted to sell it to me. 'Yes we can do that, it will be £450' - yeah, in your dreams mate.

The Black Adder
07-09-2016, 15:43
my 37" LCD Toshiba Regza circa 2007 still does a grand job. It does 1080p and you can now pick them up for £50 - £80. Cost me £850 back then... lol

What a fool I was. Never doing that again I can tell ya.

struth
07-09-2016, 15:46
Optimum size used to be 37" where you got best of everything... I would think that has increased now though what with hd. But sd stuff can look poor on big screens so personally i would stick at about the size Marco got.. 43" is big enough for anyone imo. Wish i had one :eyebrows:

Honestly the 32 ive got from where i sit, about 10 ft is big enough. I used to have a 37 and it was big. I kinda like a big bezel too

The Black Adder
07-09-2016, 16:11
Yeah... ours has a thick bezel, about 1 1/2" all round. It's nice as it frames it.

The big jobbie TV's I've seen in Curry's :rolleyes: have always impressed me but knowing that they depreciate soooooo much I just can't justify the price tag.

Same with a lot of consumer electronics I guess.

The Chronicals
07-09-2016, 17:18
lol 43" is big enough, considering 4K resolution is not able to be seen properly on a 43", its definitely not big enough! :) Although my dad complained about getting a 47" then realised how much better it was, now he is on the convincing trail for a 55".

I think 55" is the limit as to when they stop being tv's and room additions, once you step over that boundary you end up with whole entities in the room with you.

I am having second thoughts this 65" , its giving me a headache, its that big. I mean, faces are bigger than real people and you have to look in two places instead of seeing the whole image. I always thought I say on the back row at the cinema as to hopefully see some action ;), but no it was because sitting too close gave me headaches.

Oops.

The Chronicals
07-09-2016, 17:20
I'd hope so....

You've got me looking at tellys on Amazon now. Did you know you can get an 85 incher? I remember renting a 28 inch Hitachi in about 1992 and thinking I'd arrived. How times change. when I cancelled the rental in about 1999 I asked them if they wanted to sell it to me. 'Yes we can do that, it will be £450' - yeah, in your dreams mate.

lol, 85". That would be my entire wall and would explode my brain. Obviously people in the UK live in mansions!

Macca
07-09-2016, 17:28
I have 2 chimney breasts and it would fit easily in between, but would sort of be flush with the front of the chimneys so it would blend quite well. It would just be a central wall of television.

But I think you are right about going too big. Not being able to see the whole screen at once would be an issue.

The Chronicals
07-09-2016, 17:33
I have 2 chimney breasts and it would fit easily in between, but would sort of be flush with the front of the chimneys so it would blend quite well. It would just be a central wall of television.

But I think you are right about going too big. Not being able to see the whole screen at once would be an issue.

It really does melt your head. I think its could ok for films and definitely games because your focus is more linear, but for general television its a brain breaker. im gonna give it a few more days, then I might have to invoke the 14 day right to return, I think a 58" would be perfect but unfortunately no Sonys in that size and the Panasonic has a silver bezel. Argh, why did I even bother, I am such a magpie :)

Macca
07-09-2016, 17:44
Stick with it man. You'll acclimatise to it. Probably.

Marco
07-09-2016, 17:53
lol 43" is big enough, considering 4K resolution is not able to be seen properly on a 43", its definitely not big enough! :)

Lol - it'll have to be, as the bugger's fixed to the wall now! :D

Seriously, it'll be plenty good enough for me, and I'll let you know when I get Sky Q installed, if I don't notice much of an improvement with the 4K res... ;)

I am having second thoughts this 65" , its giving me a headache, its that big. I mean, faces are bigger than real people and you have to look in two places instead of seeing the whole image. I always thought I say on the back row at the cinema as to hopefully see some action ;), but no it was because sitting too close gave me headaches.

Oops.

Ha - I know exactly what you mean, and agree. The 65-incher in the Sony Centre showroom certainly looked great, but that was in a showroom, not a living room....

Marco.

danilo
07-09-2016, 19:43
Yeah... ours has a thick bezel, about 1 1/2" all round. It's nice as it frames it.

The big jobbie TV's I've seen in Curry's :rolleyes: have always impressed me but knowing that they depreciate soooooo much I just can't justify the price tag.

Same with a lot of consumer electronics I guess.

:lol: In ~2000 I was on a Massive house for a couple with More money than sense. They elected for 2 ! 40" Plasma screens .. Self Erecting from the base of their ermm.. Large bed.
TWO screens because they often didn't watch the same stuff. Can't imagine the reality of trying to watch with both screens active though.
Also soooo daft ..that they had their bathroom ceiling entirely of Pot lights ..All bezels touching each other.. prolly 5 dozen of the things as a guess.. from memory. Boggled my imagination.
Electricians wouldn't do it.. until assured that they would be paid
Short story: Plasma screens at that point were 40,000$ each, which is what the firm that was responsible for the AV setup charged :-). Made by Fujitsu (the primary screen supplier to most All Brand names).
Even worse.. their expected life was 10 years Max.
Just Imagine the depreciation on those contraptions

Marco
08-09-2016, 21:51
Just came across this, so might hang off for a bit before getting Sky Q installed: http://4k.com/news/sony-4k-tvs-are-incapable-of-watching-the-sky-q-uk-content-service-but-a-fix-is-on-the-way-16109/

Anyway, the AV system is now up and running, and sounding (and looking) fantastic! I can't believe the sound quality I'm getting from the little (cheap as chips) Sony Blu-ray player, just playing bog-standard CDs. It's as good as I've heard from any circa £1k 'audiophile CDP' :eek:

And Blu-ray discs and DVDs are just awesome, in terms of picture clarity, quality of colours, sound, etc. The Sony AV amp, which I simply took a blind punt on, is an absolute corker too, and sounds as good as most solid-state amps I've heard, out with of the genuine high-end variety.

It's reassuringly heavy too, due to the large PSU inside, and as outlined in the sales literature (see link below), you can hear that the design has been optimised with the use of audiophile quality components. Simply set it on 'Pure Direct', which by-passes all the tone control/cinema processing bollocks, and the sound is vivid, punchy and dynamic, together with having impressive weight and authority from its 165W. It, along with the Blu-ray player, just produces very involving sounding, non-fatiguing music.

I'm still playing around with many of its features and getting to know how it all works, but judged even just on its own as a stereo hi-fi amp, for the money it's really very good indeed and highly recommended. These Sony separates here certainly are excellent value for money and deserve to be taken seriously by audio enthusiasts on a budget for their high levels of performance. I can see Del and I enjoying this set-up with music and movies very much during the forthcoming winter months! :cool:

Sony AV amp in question: http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/av-receivers/str-dn1060

Sony Blu-ray/DVD/CD/SACD player in question: http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/bdp-s6700

I'll try and put up some pics tomorrow.

Marco.

struth
08-09-2016, 21:57
modern technology eh.... Sure they will fix it within the month

The Chronicals
09-09-2016, 10:29
Just came across this, so might hang off for a bit before getting Sky Q installed: http://4k.com/news/sony-4k-tvs-are-incapable-of-watching-the-sky-q-uk-content-service-but-a-fix-is-on-the-way-16109/

Anyway, the AV system is now up and running, and sounding (and looking) fantastic! I can't believe the sound quality I'm getting from the little (cheap as chips) Sony Blu-ray player, just playing bog-standard CDs. It's as good as I've heard from any circa £1k 'audiophile CDP' :eek:

And Blu-ray discs and DVDs are just awesome, in terms of picture clarity, quality of colours, sound, etc. The Sony AV amp, which I simply took a blind punt on, is an absolute corker too, and sounds as good as most solid-state amps I've heard, out with of the genuine high-end variety.

It's reassuringly heavy too, due to the large PSU inside, and as outlined in the sales literature (see link below), you can hear that the design has been optimised with the use of audiophile quality components. Simply set it on 'Pure Direct', which by-passes all the tone control/cinema processing bollocks, and the sound is vivid, punchy and dynamic, together with having impressive weight and authority from its 165W. It, along with the Blu-ray player, just produces very involving sounding, non-fatiguing music.

I'm still playing around with many of its features and getting to know how it all works, but judged even just on its own as a stereo hi-fi amp, for the money it's really very good indeed and highly recommended. These Sony separates here certainly are excellent value for money and deserve to be taken seriously by audio enthusiasts on a budget for their high levels of performance. I can see Del and I enjoying this set-up with music and movies very much during the forthcoming winter months! :cool:

Sony AV amp in question: http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/av-receivers/str-dn1060

Sony Blu-ray/DVD/CD/SACD player in question: http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/bdp-s6700

I'll try and put up some pics tomorrow.

Marco.

Is the DAC inside the bluray or the AV amp?

you do realise, you're gonna want to upgrade an get a true 4K HD Blu ray player soon? :)

Marco
09-09-2016, 11:40
Hi Michael,

Not sure, but I think the DAC is inside the amp. I'd need to check...

Also, the Blu-ray player I have is, as far as I can see, true 4K HD. Check the spec in the link I provided above.

Marco.

Gazjam
09-09-2016, 11:52
Not true 4K Marco unfortunately.
the player upscales 1080p to 4K.

Still debatable wether its noticable or not at telly sizes smaller than 50, so not an issue really. :)

Macca
09-09-2016, 12:03
Hi Michael,

Also, the Blu-ray player I have is, as far as I can see, true 4K HD. Check the spec in the link I provided above.

Marco.

Unless you bought a blu-ray transport then both player and amp will have a DAC. Which one gets used will depend on how you are connecting player to amp.

Marco
09-09-2016, 12:03
Ah, cheers, Gaz. No worries... It's certainly plenty good enough for me. Very pleased with the results of both what I'm seeing and hearing! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
09-09-2016, 12:04
Unless you bought a blu-ray transport then both player and amp will have a DAC. Which one gets used will depend on how you are connecting player to amp.

Indeed - makes sense! :)

Marco.

Gazjam
09-09-2016, 13:44
Ah, cheers, Gaz. No worries... It's certainly plenty good enough for me. Very pleased with the results of both what I'm seeing and hearing! :cool:

Marco.

Aye, Sony video kit is top notch, good choices Sir!

The Chronicals
09-09-2016, 13:56
Hi Michael,

Marco.

Yes, the DAC in the amp means your cd player is being used as a 'transport' - so the sound is coming from the DAC not the Blu ray player, I highly doubt the Blu ray has a good DAC and native sound to it! I didnt used to believe in DACs till I got my Peachtree amp. I stood corrected instantly :)

There is a tool on the other forum, the ego forum, that claims all DACs sound the same, (and all cables sound the same funnily enough), he is getting on a bit and I think nearing being ultimately deaf.

and as mentioned upscaling, and theres definitely a difference, but as Gaz said, possible unable to be seen on a 43"

Heres the two full HD players out on the market currently

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ubd-k8500-4k-uhd-blu-ray-player-black/p2655114?sku=235862552&s_kwcid=2dx92700012712759414&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CNmn7vC3gs8CFVUpGQodWGMMrg&gclsrc=ds

and the brutally more expensive

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-dmp-ub900ebk-4k-uhd-blu-ray-dvd-player-with-miracast/p2603810?sku=235914573&gclid=CIGQ0ZK4gs8CFcLHGQodJh0MLA&gclsrc=ds

Gazjam
09-09-2016, 18:31
Hold off till Oppo get involved...just sayin'.

The Chronicals
09-09-2016, 18:35
Hold off till Oppo get involved...just sayin'.

Oppo with their extortionate pricing structures can kiss my proverbial behind :)

struth
09-09-2016, 18:37
great build quality is oppo... i want one lol

Gazjam
09-09-2016, 18:49
A wee bit spendy...sure, but for more than just build quality.
Think Rolex watch (but without the annual service)

Marco
09-09-2016, 19:57
Yes, the DAC in the amp means your cd player is being used as a 'transport' - so the sound is coming from the DAC not the Blu ray player, I highly doubt the Blu ray has a good DAC and native sound to it! I didnt used to believe in DACs till I got my Peachtree amp. I stood corrected instantly...

Ah ok, still getting the hang of all this AV malarkey! :eyebrows: Oh, and I've always "believed" in DACs ;)

There is a tool on the other forum, the ego forum, that claims all DACs sound the same, (and all cables sound the same funnily enough), he is getting on a bit and I think nearing being ultimately deaf.

A tool? Don't hold back, eh? :lol:

Yes, I think that I know who you mean.

...and as mentioned upscaling, and theres definitely a difference, but as Gaz said, possible unable to be seen on a 43"

I don't doubt it, but you have to remember I've come from the position of using a cheapo 19" TV we bought from a supermarket 5 years ago, and an even older DVD player, to what I have now, so as you'll appreciate it's a different world. Therefore, I'll leave the 'refinement subtleties' to the experts!:eyebrows:

Heres the two full HD players out on the market currently

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ubd-k8500-4k-uhd-blu-ray-player-black/p2655114?sku=235862552&s_kwcid=2dx92700012712759414&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CNmn7vC3gs8CFVUpGQodWGMMrg&gclsrc=ds

and the brutally more expensive

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-dmp-ub900ebk-4k-uhd-blu-ray-dvd-player-with-miracast/p2603810?sku=235914573&gclid=CIGQ0ZK4gs8CFcLHGQodJh0MLA&gclsrc=ds

Interesting. However, if or when I upgrade the player, it'll be for one of the Oppos Mark sells.

Marco.

The Chronicals
09-09-2016, 20:31
Pah Oppo, just extortionate prices for items that are expendable. I appreciate the desire to spend on build quality, for things that would be kept for many years or request a form of reliability for everyday life (vehicles, Parachutes) But a bluray will be superseded in a year or two, complete waste of money spending high prices of so-called luxury items that die off quickly.

But I guess we all have our limits and what we fine acceptable prices though - my dad thinks I am crazy for spending a grand on my tv!

Marco
10-09-2016, 06:59
Yeah, I hear what you're saying, in terms of technology changing all the time, but as the AV side of things is very much secondary to my main 2-channel system upstairs, I'm not really interested in 'chasing the best'; merely settling on something good enough for me, which I can just use and enjoy for a number of years, until such times as it becomes outdated enough to warrant retiring it, or it breaks! :)

In that respect, if an Oppo fitted the bill, and was considerably better than what I've got now, then fine. However, it's likely that the Sony will be staying put for the considerable future. A box-swapper I am not.

Marco.

CageyH
10-09-2016, 10:19
5 minutes into a film, I tend to stop consciously noticing the superb resolution and just watch the film.
That is why I have no plans to upgrade my 1080p projector, 112" screen or Sony Blu-ray player.

Macca
10-09-2016, 13:57
I also cannot get as fetishistic about picture quality as I can about sound quality. I had black and white only for years after I left home and I forgot quite quickly that I was watching in black and white until after a few months later I saw a colour set again and was 'Oh yeah! Colour! I remember now.' Actually had no telly at all for 2 years, didn't miss it in the slightest, although admittedly that was back when I had a life.

Marco
10-09-2016, 19:41
I also cannot get as fetishistic about picture quality as I can about sound quality.

Oh, I certainly can - but it's got to be on a high-resolution TV/display capable of a suitably high level of performance! I've spent the last few days anally optimising every available picture-tuning parameter on the Sony (and there are many) - and the results are stunning, especially since I've upgraded my Sky subscription to HD! :eek:

I've also optimised the amp in the same way, sonically [which is equally as tweaky], and as I'm currently listening to (and watching) the last night of the Proms, live on BBC 2, it really is a mesmerising experience of sound and vision - all enjoyed whilst sipping a rather fine The Balvenie 21-year old Portwood whisky.... Most rewarding!

The performance from Juan Diego Flórez was simply stunning. Best thing I've done in ages investing in this home-cinema system :cool:

Marco.

Jimbo
10-09-2016, 20:04
Just caught up with this post Marco, so you bought a Sony after all. Good choice mate. They are fantastic TV,s and used by many of the broadcasters themselves to monitor programmes. I think their picture quality is the industry benchmark for naturalness and quality.:cool:

Marco
10-09-2016, 20:09
Yup, mate, and thanks again for your excellent recco. Chances are I wouldn't have had this TV on my radar otherwise! :thumbsup:

Marco.

Macca
10-09-2016, 21:50
Oh, I certainly can - but it's got to be on a high-resolution TV/display capable of a suitably high level of performance! I've spent the last few days anally optimising every available picture-tuning parameter on the Sony (and there are many) - and the results are stunning, especially since I've upgraded my Sky subscription to HD! :eek:

I've also optimised the amp in the same way, sonically [which is equally as tweaky], and as I'm currently listening to (and watching) the last night of the Proms, live on BBC 2, it really is a mesmerising experience of sound and vision - all enjoyed whilst sipping a rather fine The Balvenie 21-year old Portwood whisky.... Most rewarding!

The performance from Juan Diego Flórez was simply stunning. Best thing I've done in ages investing in this home-cinema system :cool:

Marco.

Don't get me wrong I set things up properly, to suit how I want it. And the quality of some of the broadcast music, especially BBC2 and 4 is very good as you noticed :) Sky Arts channel if you have it, also very good quality.

Need to sort mine out as it has been in bits for months. It does enhance the viewing experience considerably having quality sound and picture, no argument from me.

Joe
10-09-2016, 22:48
I'm just as sloppy with vision as I am with sound. Our freebie 38" TV is on whatever settings it was when my daughter's partner used it. I haven't worked out how to do anything with it except change channels and the volume level. Plus the DVD remote is still MIA, but it looks like it'd be cheaper and quicker to buy a new player than to source a replacement.

Macca
10-09-2016, 22:56
I'm just as sloppy with vision as I am with sound.

Says you when you've got one of those Devaliet things that cost about a million quid; and they weren't exactly giving Harbeths away last time I checked. I think you should come clean and admit to the meeting that you are an audioholic and take it seriously. It's a first step. Make it.

Joe
11-09-2016, 07:20
Says you when you've got one of those Devaliet things that cost about a million quid; and they weren't exactly giving Harbeths away last time I checked. I think you should come clean and admit to the meeting that you are an audioholic and take it seriously. It's a first step. Make it.

I'm an audioholic, no doubt about it, but I'm not a tweaker, which is why I bought the Devialet; it's about as close to 'fit and forget' as you can get. The Harbeths are upstairs, with the Exposure set-up I've had for almost 20 years.

Things I can't be doing with:

Tube rolling
Adjusting VTA
Monkeying about with cable direction
Fancy fuses
Fancy mains leads
SUTs
Dusting

Marco
11-09-2016, 08:53
Lol... What are you like? :eyebrows:

For me, it's simply about getting whatever it is that you own (hi-fi, car, mobile phone, TV, or whatever) to excel at its primary function, and in terms of a TV, for me that's picture quality, just as with a hi-fi system it's sound quality.

Essentially, I like to get the *absolute most* out of pretty much anything I own, and I can be super-fastidious carrying that out. I simply don't 'do' average or mediocre - that's just the way I've always been! :cool:

I also like all my 'stuff' to be mint - and keep it that way. In that respect Joe, we're complete opposites. Out of curiosity, is your wife the same as you? :)

Marco.

JohnJo
11-09-2016, 09:10
I'm an audioholic, no doubt about it, but I'm not a tweaker, which is why I bought the Devialet; it's about as close to 'fit and forget' as you can get. The Harbeths are upstairs, with the Exposure set-up I've had for almost 20 years.

Things I can't be doing with:

Tube rolling
Adjusting VTA
Monkeying about with cable direction
Fancy fuses
Fancy mains leads
SUTs
Dusting

:D

Ali Tait
11-09-2016, 11:39
Don't get me wrong I set things up properly, to suit how I want it. And the quality of some of the broadcast music, especially BBC2 and 4 is very good as you noticed :) Sky Arts channel if you have it, also very good quality.

Need to sort mine out as it has been in bits for months. It does enhance the viewing experience considerably having quality sound and picture, no argument from me.

I record some of the gigs from Sky Arts HD on to the reel to reel. Fantastic SQ, some of the best source material I have, vinyl included.

Macca
11-09-2016, 13:38
I remember you playing them at NEBO. Tremendous sound. I've got a few gigs I recorded from Sky Arts 2 before it was cancelled. ZZ Top, AC/DC, Gary Moore.

The Chronicals
11-09-2016, 13:43

Marco.

Wait till you get a TV big enough to show 4K properly :lol:

Marco
11-09-2016, 13:45
:lolsign:

I'll give you something big enough to shut you up that you'll never forget! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Joe
11-09-2016, 20:45
I also like all my 'stuff' to be mint - and keep it that way. In that respect Joe, we're complete opposites. Out of curiosity, is your wife the same as you? :)

Marco.

She's a bit like me wrt to electronics, mainly because she's a complete technophobe and just wants things to 'work' without a lot of bother, whereas with me it's more laziness. But we're equally untidy, which is just as well really. If either of us were in any way OCD we'd have murdered each other long ago.

Marco
11-09-2016, 20:58
Lol - at the end of the day, it's all about compatibility. Who does the dusting? ;)

Marco.

brian2957
11-09-2016, 21:03
I record some of the gigs from Sky Arts HD on to the reel to reel. Fantastic SQ, some of the best source material I have, vinyl included.

Yup I heard one of those recordings last time I was over at yours Ali and when I picked my jaw back up off the ground I told you how good I thought they sounded mate :D

The Chronicals
11-09-2016, 22:16
:lolsign:

I'll give you something big enough to shut you up that you'll never forget! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Such a flirt.

Marco
12-09-2016, 16:06
You betcha, girlfriend :kiss:

Marco.

Joe
12-09-2016, 16:17
Lol - at the end of the day, it's all about compatibility. Who does the dusting? ;)

Marco.

It's divvied out equally, as is all the housework. But it has to get pretty bad before we get out the Pledge.

Marco
12-09-2016, 16:40
A bit of dust or dirt (within reason) is healthy, as it builds up one's immune system. Too many folk these days bleach their homes to buggery, and subsequently catch all the colds and illnesses going! :doh:

Marco.

Joe
12-09-2016, 16:45
A bit of dust or dirt (within reason) is healthy, as it builds up one's immune system. Too many folk these days bleach their homes to buggery, and subsequently catch all the colds and illnesses going! :doh:

Marco.

We are entirely safe in that regard.

I remember our GP used to let his two children wander around his waiting room. When someone asked him whether he didn't worry about them catching things, he said 'That's precisely the point, I want them to catch things!'

Marco
12-09-2016, 16:47
Ha - nice one!

Marco.

The Chronicals
13-09-2016, 18:52

Marco.

The problems dont come from killing germs, they come from all those chemicals in the likes of bleach, that should never be near the human body!

Marco
18-09-2016, 07:51
Went into Richer Sounds in Liverpool yesterday and got this little Yamaha sub:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/921/aQ2WzC.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plaQ2WzCj)

Amazing build quality for £69 - looks and feels more like something costing three times that amount! :eek:

We'll see what it brings to the party... I wanted to experiment with a small sub, as I don't want floor space taken up with the usual (much larger) 'vertical variety', and this one will slip into the front of the TV cabinet and hardly be seen :)

Rather like this:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/921/UXgGdf.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plUXgGdfj)

Of course I'm not expecting miracles with this little unit, but it goes down to 35Hz, and all I want is a little extra 'grunt' with movie explosions, etc. I'll be connecting it up later, so will post my findings then :cool:

Marco.

Macca
18-09-2016, 08:22
Looking at the spec (http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=uk.yamaha.com&asset_id=31300) it actually only works between 50 and 150 hz. It is 20dB down at 35hz so it is, as they say, 'a bold claim'. It's a bass-reinforcement speaker rather than a true sub, and there is no way to adjust the low or high cut off. Should be fine for your desired application, though, and you can't argue with the price, or the looks.

Marco
18-09-2016, 08:33
Indeed... Like I say, it's simply to fill in the low-end a bit, with movie explosions, etc. It'll most likely be disabled for music listening, which one can do easily with the Sony AV amp. The Yamaha really is a quality item, for the price. I think it was once £145, and since has been discounted down to what it sells for now.

The little Celestion 15XRs (with their ABRs) do remarkably good job of bass duties, but they're sealed boxes, and due to the speaker positioning i've adopted in the room, they've been moved out into free space, as opposed to being up against a rear wall, as they're designed to be, so consequently they're just a tad bass-light, in terms of depth, although the extension is more than adequate.

In that respect, all I'm hoping for from the little Yamaha sub, is just a gentle fill-in of the lower frequencies. We'll see what happens! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
18-09-2016, 12:18
Connected up the sub, and it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Certainly doesn't produce earthquake-rattling low frequencies, but ample for my needs, simply subtly but very effectively adding more gravitas to bass notes and movie sound-effects, which now have more 'crunch' - and for £69 a veritable bargain! Well pleased :thumbsup:

Might try adding another at some point later on, as the amp has the facility for using two subs. We'll see. Next, I want to play with a centre speaker, as I've found a wee bargain somewhere... Good fun, this home-cinema malarkey :)

Marco.

JohnJo
18-09-2016, 12:29
Connected up the sub, and it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Certainly doesn't produce earthquake-rattling low frequencies, but ample for my needs, simply subtly but very effectively adding more gravitas to bass notes and movie sound-effects, which now have more 'crunch' - and for £69 a veritable bargain! Well pleased :thumbsup:

Might try adding another at some point later on, as the amp has the facility for using two subs. We'll see. Next, I want to play with a centre speaker, as I've found a wee bargain somewhere... Good fun, this home-cinema malarkey :)

Marco.

Good job, glad it's working out, think you're getting in to this :D

Marco
18-09-2016, 12:33
Lol - it just 'cheers up' the viewing experience when watching sport, movies or music videos! Especially as the winter nights are coming in.... :)

Marco.

Macca
18-09-2016, 15:00
Marco before you buy any more stuff I've got a Gale centre and two matching Gale surround speakers, dark walnut finish, perfect, in original box. You could have 'em for nowt but you'd have to come over and get them.

Paul Hynes
18-09-2016, 15:42
Hi Marco,

These work well in AV systems :-

http://s700.photobucket.com/user/paulhynes/media/Picture036.jpg.html?sort=2&o=1

They can make the room collapse around you when the explosions go off (just kidding).

Regards
Paul

Marco
18-09-2016, 15:56
Ha - good one, Paul! :D

How's it going mate, btw? Hope you're well, as you've been very quiet recently? :)

Marco.

Marco
18-09-2016, 16:00
Marco before you buy any more stuff I've got a Gale centre and two matching Gale surround speakers, dark walnut finish, perfect, in original box. You could have 'em for nowt but you'd have to come over and get them.

Oooh - that sounds rather interesting, mate, and a very kind offer. Got a link to a pic of them somewhere, so I can see what they're like? No problem popping down. When are you free in the coming week? :cool:

Marco.

Macca
18-09-2016, 16:26
I might have a pic of them on file, think I offered them for sale at one point. Let me see what I can find. They are only dinky but should suit your needs. if not, well it has cost you nothing.

Need to have day off this week to go to the bank so If you want to drop over in the day sometime let me know. You can have a listen to me new speekaz too.

Marco
18-09-2016, 17:26
I might have a pic of them on file, think I offered them for sale at one point. Let me see what I can find. They are only dinky but should suit your needs. if not, well it has cost you nothing.

Dinky is what I'm looking for, mate! Where did you get them from? And yes, if you could find a pic, that would be great :)

Need to have day off this week to go to the bank so If you want to drop over in the day sometime let me know. You can have a listen to me new speekaz too.

Sounds good. Let me know what day you're free. I'm cool any day apart from tomorrow :cool:

Marco.

Marco
18-09-2016, 17:33
Is this the centre speaker: http://www.gale.co.uk/centre10.html

Marco.

Macca
18-09-2016, 17:34
I got them from Richer Sounds back when DVD came out, about 1999 at a guess.

Paul Hynes
18-09-2016, 18:20
Hi Marco,

I’m fine now thanks and gradually getting the home life under control.

I hope you and Del are keeping well, and having fun with the new AV system.

I picked up one of those 48” Sony Bravia HD screens last year and I have to say it has been a big improvement over the old Philips 32” SD screens we had before. I had to re-site the Ikea record storage units and the line source arrays to accommodate the screen.

I am seated around 12’ from the screen and I think I can go larger without losing focus on the events being portrayed on the screen, but this can wait until 4K matures a little. I can understand the correlation between screen size and event coherence on larger screens so will be careful not to overdo the size. When I used to go to the cinema in my youth I hated sitting to close to the screen. It just became too overwhelming and difficult to follow all the events happening at once.

I have to say that being able to move a lot of air with the sound system really does liven up the presentation of blockbuster films. There is some serious low frequency stuff going on in some of the films and if you cannot reproduce this, the impact suffers considerably. It might be interesting to try your Tannoys in your AV system to get a feel for this, even though you may not have the room for the Tannoys as a permanent installation. There are other options open for generating the low frequencies that may be appropriate in your AV room.

I will be in touch shortly as I should have some interesting news in the near future, but I will post it on my trade threads when I have everything finalised. It is likely I will change from being very quiet to being very noisy as time goes by.

Regards
Paul

Marco
18-09-2016, 19:14
I got them from Richer Sounds back when DVD came out, about 1999 at a guess.

Nice one, dude. I like the stuff Gale did back then :)

PM me when you know what day you're off. I just need 24 hrs notice.

Marco.

Marco
18-09-2016, 20:23
Hi Paul,

I’m fine now thanks and gradually getting the home life under control.

I hope you and Del are keeping well, and having fun with the new AV system.

Nice one, mate. Glad to hear that. We're fine - just enjoying life, as usual! :)

I picked up one of those 48” Sony Bravia HD screens last year and I have to say it has been a big improvement over the old Philips 32” SD screens we had before. I had to re-site the Ikea record storage units and the line source arrays to accommodate the screen.

I am seated around 12’ from the screen and I think I can go larger without losing focus on the events being portrayed on the screen, but this can wait until 4K matures a little. I can understand the correlation between screen size and event coherence on larger screens so will be careful not to overdo the size. When I used to go to the cinema in my youth I hated sitting to close to the screen. It just became too overwhelming and difficult to follow all the events happening at once.

I completely agree. When we go to the cinema, we always sit towards the back, but in the centre of the screen, as much as possible. Glad you like Sony!

I have to say that being able to move a lot of air with the sound system really does liven up the presentation of blockbuster films. There is some serious low frequency stuff going on in some of the films and if you cannot reproduce this, the impact suffers considerably.

Totally agree, Paul. That's certainly something I'm finding out. It's not something that bothered me before, but since getting the bigger TV, everything stemmed from there.

It might be interesting to try your Tannoys in your AV system to get a feel for this, even though you may not have the room for the Tannoys as a permanent installation. There are other options open for generating the low frequencies that may be appropriate in your AV room.

Lol - maybe, but there's no way I'll be lugging the Tannoys downstairs, even though I know they'd be a riot! And, there just isn't the room. However, I know where you're coming from :D

I will be in touch shortly as I should have some interesting news in the near future, but I will post it on my trade threads when I have everything finalised. It is likely I will change from being very quiet to being very noisy as time goes by.

Sounds good, as I've missed your input. May I take the interesting news to be something in relation to a reworked and improved PSU for the Raspberry Pi? ;)

Marco.

Eagle owl
24-09-2016, 11:49
I was in my local Currys store a couple of weeks ago looking at 65 inch LG OLED TV's which are advertised as having a five year guarantee. I enquired about the guarantee and was told it's a manufacturers guarantee and it would be better to take out a Currys Care Plan. (Which of course is more money)

The five year guarantee with TV's bought at John Lewis and the six year guarantee with TV's bought at Richer Sounds are as far as I know a much better option.

struth
24-09-2016, 12:45
Currys are chancers. Lewis, are pretty fair, as were Richer Sounds when i had a problem

Marco
02-10-2016, 11:33
I've been enjoying the new TV and home cinema system over the last few weeks, so just a little update after Macca very kindly donated me a Gale Centre 10 and some Satellite 10 rear speakers (the centre speaker certainly helps give a more realistic effect with movies):

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/923/7ywGYZ.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pn7ywGYZj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/921/WBR1DC.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plWBR1DCj)

...the latter which Darren's going to fit tomorrow [and bring with him some good Blu-Rays to watch], using these wall brackets I got yesterday from Richer Sounds: http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-brackets/btech/bt77/btec-bt77

Once done, I'll comment on the effect of the whole set-up and take some pics of everything in situ, and that'll be the home-cinema set up completed for now. Later on, I may add a second sub, but we'll see :cool:

Marco.

Marco
04-10-2016, 09:31
Well, Darren came round yesterday to install the rear satellite speakers into their wall brackets, and once they were in situ, we optimised all the settings on the AV amp - distance (from the seating position), size and level (with all speakers connected to the system), when set correctly for your room and tastes, make a HUGE difference to the overall sound effect you get with movies, as does dialling in all crossover frequencies optimally :)

Now, when playing Blu-Ray movies, I'm enveloped in gloriously captivating surround sound, with the subwoofer and ABRs on the Celestions combining to produce rather entertaining low-end 'wallop' with crashes, explosions and gunshots, and when watching movies on Sky Cinema, in HD and produced in Dolby Digital, the overall effect of the sound and picture quality is just stunning!! :eek:

So, I'm a very happy bunny, and am absolutely delighted with the results I've achieved from assembling this modest little home-cinema system :cool:

One tip I'd give, for those who may not have tried this, is to search online for how to optimise the picture settings on your specific TV. I found YouTube useful in that respect, as AVforums have a number of very good, easy to follow videos there, for various different TVs, which take you slowly through all the advanced settings and how to optimise them, thus allowing you to enjoy your TV at its best.

That made a huge difference to the picture quality on the Sony! Based on the results I've achieved there, I'm considering getting the TV professionally calibrated, details here: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/calibration#contact which I suspect would offer further, significant improvements.

I honestly suspect that about 90% of flat-screen TV owners are only getting access to a fraction of their set's full potential, so although not cheap, if you've got a quality TV and want to enjoy the ultimate picture quality, I think that getting it professionally calibrated is likely to be a no-brainer.

Anyway, I'll post some pics of the set up later.

Marco.

danilo
04-10-2016, 14:09
Sounds great.
Have you tried a Music Video/dvd/ yet?
Or even a Youtube version those are easy/free?
Asking as I sometimes watch these on my computer screen to get a feel for the artist/music and If I like it enough hunt down the equivalent Cd.
Although my last 2 live performance CD's proved seriously Lesser than their on screen Youtube videos did. Very strange.
Suggesting the viewing of the performances seriously enhances the music.. So much so that the sound quality is perceptually enhanced.
The event supersedes the sound ? Nawww.. that's Heresy.

Marco
04-10-2016, 17:13
Hi Danilo,

Yup, music videos are also fab, and coupled with the superb sound offered by the Sony amp and Celestion speakers, gives you a realistic snapshot of 'being there'! :)

I totally get where you're coming from about how watching a visual image of a musical performance, along with sound, accentuates your enjoyment of the musical whole... Somehow, it just 'connects' you more with music's 'message'. I'm loving it! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
20-11-2016, 21:16
Just a small update, chaps, on the home-cinema set up.... DarrenHW very kindly gave me one of these beauties, plucked from a skip no less, after which I had the cabinet refurbished:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/922/XNRbOs.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmXNRbOsj)

It replaces the Gale centre speaker I had previously and matches my Celestion 15XR front speakers perfectly! :)

Needless to say, the sonic improvement (as good as the little Gale was) is significant, with vocals sounding richer and more weighty, overall cleaner and just more real. Nice one, Dazza! :cool:

Next thing I intend doing is adding a second Yamaha sub, for even more 'crunch' with explosions, etc... :eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
14-03-2017, 16:16
Next thing I intend doing is adding a second Yamaha sub, for even more 'crunch' with explosions, etc... :eyebrows:

Well... Popped along to Richer Sounds in Chester today and nabbed another Yamaha sub, which I'd been meaning to do for a while, but just hadn't had the time. £79 these things are, and what a Billy BARGAIN! :eek:

Beautifully built for the price (frankly I don't know how they do it), looking like something that cost almost four times as much, and with it being a totally different shape from a normal sub (three times as deep as it is high), and ported from the front with a 12" bass driver underneath, it allows you to place them in the room rather more discretely than is usually the case with subs.

And considering that only a 12" driver is employed in this design, the Yamaha doesn't half pack a PUNCH, especially when you double them up!!

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/922/o503Dn.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmo503Dnj)

With me now running two of these babies, at opposite ends of the room, action movies and anything that contains subterranean low-frequencies is reproduced with near-stomach churning visceral impact. Augmented by the bass ABRs on the Celestion 15XR front speakers (and UL6 centre), the physical intensity of gun shots and explosions, for example, is palpable and grin-inducing, in terms of how it adds to the fun of the whole movie-watching experience.

What a riot! :lol:

Honestly, if anyone is looking for a cheap-as-chips active subwoofer, which can be placed very unobtrusively in the room and packs suitable low-frequency fireworks to light up any action or sci-fi movie, then I can't recommend the Yamaha YST-FSW050 highly enough. One alone provides a nice 'filling in' of the low-end, but pop two into your home-cinema system, and in a medium-sized room, it damn near puts you centre stage at your local Odeon.

Just go and buy one [or preferably two, if you have the facility] - it's *that* good! :cool:

Marco.

Macca
14-03-2017, 16:37
What's the case made of Marco, is it plastic?

Marco
14-03-2017, 16:51
The front bit looks like a very hard plastic, but it's neatly finished and smoothed-off, so feels suitably tactile. The main chassis I think is constructed from heavy-duty chipboard, which has been neatly painted.

The whole thing is pretty well screwed together and feels reassuringly solid. I'm certain that if this sub wasn't produced by one of the Japanese giants, such as Yamaha, and thus subject to economies of scale, it would cost considerably more! :)

Marco.

julesd68
14-03-2017, 16:53
This Yamaha sub looks like a lot of fun - is there any way it can be used with an ordinary 2 channel stereo amp that I have connected to my TV?

Marco
14-03-2017, 17:02
Not sure, Jules. There's provision on the rear of my Sony AV amp for two subs, so all I did was connect them up with the supplied phono cable. Perhaps one of our resident AV experts could advise? :)

I *suspect* though, that the Yamaha, being ostensibly a budget design, will be more suited to being used with movies than music, just in case you had plans for it in that respect. That's certainly the case here when I try it.

Marco.

julesd68
14-03-2017, 17:06
Thanks Marco - I was thinking of using it with bluray films which I watch on my son's new Xbox - I'll also have a look to see if there's a connection to be made with the xbox ...

Macca
14-03-2017, 17:51
You could maybe run it off the Record Out if you have one on the amp

julesd68
14-03-2017, 18:16
Thanks - I have one on the tape loops, is that what you mean?

CageyH
14-03-2017, 18:26
Well... Popped along to Richer Sounds in Chester today and nabbed another Yamaha sub, which I'd been meaning to do for a while, but just hadn't had the time. £79 these things are, and what a Billy BARGAIN! :eek:

Beautifully built for the price (frankly I don't know how they do it), looking like something that cost almost four times as much, and with it being a totally different shape from a normal sub (three times as deep as it is high), and ported from the front, it allows you to place them in the room rather more discretely than is usually the case with subs.

And considering that only a 12" woofer is employed in this design, the Yamaha doesn't half pack a PUNCH, especially when you double them up!!

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/922/o503Dn.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmo503Dnj)

With me now running two of these babies, at opposite ends of the room, action movies and anything that contains subterranean low-frequencies is reproduced with near-stomach churning visceral impact. Augmented by the bass ABRs on the Celestion 15XR front speakers (and UL6 centre), the physical intensity of gun shots and explosions, for example, is palpable and grin-inducing, in terms of how it adds to the fun of the whole movie-watching experience.

What a riot! :lol:

Honestly, if anyone is looking for a cheap-as-chips active subwoofer, which can be placed very unobtrusively in the room and packs suitable low-frequency fireworks to light up any action or sci-fi movie, then I can't recommend the Yamaha YST-FSW050 highly enough. One alone provides a nice 'filling in' of the low-end, but pop two into your home-cinema system, and in a medium-sized room, it damn near puts you centre stage at your local Odeon.

Just go and buy one [or preferably two, if you have the facility] - it's *that* good! :cool:

Marco.

How cute. ;)

Get yourself a proper sub:
http://www.hifitest.de/images/ausstattungslisten/big/xtz-sub-1x12-subwoofer-home-31552.jpg

Macca
14-03-2017, 18:43
Thanks - I have one on the tape loops, is that what you mean?

Yes, take a line out from there.

Jac Hawk
14-03-2017, 18:44
I don't think you can connect that sub as it only has a line level connection on the back, so you would need a sub output on your amp, however other Yamaha subs have speaker level inputs, so you would run your left and right speakers through the sub 1st then from the sub to each speaker the YST SW160 for instance

Macca
14-03-2017, 18:46
Actually you might have an issue there because you would need to set volume independently. Scratch that.

Marco
14-03-2017, 18:52
How cute. ;)

Get yourself a proper sub:
http://www.hifitest.de/images/ausstattungslisten/big/xtz-sub-1x12-subwoofer-home-31552.jpg

Haha - good one! :D

You're missing the point - the cinema set-up is in the lounge, and we certainly don't want ugly big subs on show, in a room dedicated to portraying the style of a traditional country cottage, hence why the "cute" Yammies were chosen, where they can be HEARD but not seen! ;)

Does the job nicely (and two of them, used in a reasonably small room, do produce rather 'chunky' low-end heft), taking into consideration the compromises imposed in this application :thumbsup:

Marco.

CageyH
14-03-2017, 19:21
Oh I get that, but there is no replacement for displacement.

Marco
14-03-2017, 19:22
Yeah, defo. You should practice that mantra in your main system! ;) Get dem Tannoys we discussed.... :eyebrows:

Marco.

CageyH
14-03-2017, 20:02
I was actually thinking something like this would be nice, and probably cheaper.

http://img.audiofanzine.com/images/u/product/normal/cabasse-galion-vii-86598.jpg

Marco
14-03-2017, 20:27
Ah, Cabasse... Yes, could be good! :)

Marco.

julesd68
16-03-2017, 11:13
Thanks - have solved the problem by buying a new amp with sub out! One of those Chinese SMSL amps - it's a tiny thing, no idea how good it will be but was so cheap I thought I would take a punt...

struth
16-03-2017, 11:15
Thanks - have solved the problem by buying a new amp with sub out! One of those Chinese SMSL amps - it's a tiny thing, no idea how good it will be but was so cheap I thought I would take a punt...

What one did you buy Jules?

julesd68
16-03-2017, 11:18
It's an SMSL A2 TDA7492 2x40w class D

Should be arriving soon.

I was trying to edit my post and ended up deleting it - sorry for confusion...

struth
16-03-2017, 11:20
Thanks...ive restored your post mate

julesd68
16-03-2017, 11:22
Makes more sense now thanks!

struth
16-03-2017, 11:25
Let us know how it works out

Marco
16-03-2017, 20:20
The current state of play, chez-moi:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/4yOjeM.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/po4yOjeMj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/MLxf76.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poMLxf76j)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/921/9zDSvT.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pl9zDSvTj)

Sky router and 2 x 5TB Seagate hard-drives, brim-full of choons - and yes the Nordost Pulsar Points make a difference! ;)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/923/tZYLUx.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pntZYLUxj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/922/epQhtF.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmepQhtFj)

The last one's unfortunately rather dark, but it's the Sony AV amp, Paul Hynes PSU (for the RPi), Sky Q box and Sony Blu-Ray player.

Gale rears:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/b8LQcc.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pob8LQccj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/SzqY17.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poSzqY17j)

Spot the subs! :D ;)

Marco.

struth
16-03-2017, 22:45
nice inglenook and logburner(i think). my brother has a burner like that. he swears by it. similar style to his house I think, being an old farmhouse that was updated. Cat looks happy too.

Marco
16-03-2017, 22:59
Yup, it's a Charnwood C4 multi-fuel burner (with log store installed). It can take logs/wood and coal. Awesome thing that kicks out TONS of heat! Nice cosy vibe at night, with just the glow from it and some candles illuminating the room :)

That's just one of our cats (Mitze) - we have another two. She loves posing, though!

Forgot to take some pics of the Gale wall-mounted rear surrounds. Will do tomorrow and post them :cool:

Marco.

Marco
16-03-2017, 23:26
Btw, in terms of the subs... If you look at the picture with the cat in it, then behind the L/H speaker, on the floor, you'll see the tip of a Supra mains block, which feeds the main components of the AV system. Well, behind that, under the Welsh dresser is where one of them is.

The other is underneath the display cabinet behind the R/H speaker ;)

Marco.

Marco
17-03-2017, 00:29
Whilst I'm at it, I should list everything that makes up the AV and music streaming system.

Main Components:

Sony KD-43XD8305 TV
Sony STR-DN1060 AV receiver
Sony BDP-S6700 CD/DVD/SACD/Blu-Ray player
Latest model Sky Q box.

Speaker System:

Fronts - modified Celestion 15XRs (on Atacama stands and Mana mini-soundstage supports)
Centre - Celestion UL6
Rears - Gale (used from a complete AV speaker package).
Subwoofer - 2 x Yamaha YST-FSW150.

Music source and storage:

Modified Raspberry RPi with Paul Hynes linear PSU
2 x Seagate 5TB NAS Personal Clouds.

Sundries and cables:

Supra MD06-BS/SP LoRad 6-way mains distribution block (for 'clean' components, with linear PSU)
Audio Friendly 6-Way mains block/cryogenic plug and mains filter (for 'dirty' components, with SMPS, such as Seagate HDs and Sky box/router).

Silver Fig.8 Belden 19364 mains cable (for Sky box)
Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 mains cable (for Sony AV receiver)
2 x Audioquest NRG-2 mains cables (for Paul Hynes PSU, feeding the RPi), and Fig.8 version of the same, for Sony Blu-Ray player.

0.5m pair of Sommer Carbokab-225 interconnects, fitted with silver-plated MS Audio non-metallic POM RCAs (for RPi)
3 x 1m pair Sony DLC-HJ20HF flat, high-speed HDMI cables (for Sony TV, Blu-Ray player and Sky box).

Chord Sarsen speaker cable (for Celestion fronts)
42-strand basic speaker cable (for Gale rears)
Black Rhodium Salsa DCT speaker cable (for UL6 centre)
2 x Duronic 0.5m CAT6a FTP Professional Gold-Headed Shielded Network Cables (connecting Seagate HDs to router).

4 x large Audio Serenity ISO-9H-35 9 Hemisphere Isolation Feet (supporting centre speaker, on AV rack)
3 x Russ Andrews oak cones (supporting Paul Hynes PSU, on AV rack).
3 x Nordost Pulsar Points (supporting/providing isolation for Seagate HDs and Sky Router).

B-Tech B77 wall-mounting speaker brackets (for Gale rears).

Marco.

Ali Tait
17-03-2017, 06:42
About time you took the Christmas decs down isn't it? :-)

Marco
17-03-2017, 07:24
Lol - if you mean the lights above the wood burner, then we use those, along with candles, for 'atmospheric effect' at night :)

Marco.

Marco
17-03-2017, 17:23
Gale rears now added! :)

Marco.

struth
17-03-2017, 17:26
They look like good brackets Marco ...

Marco
17-03-2017, 17:31
They are, mate. Nice and sturdy, with good adjustability, and the white makes them more 'invisible' :)

Marco.

Jac Hawk
17-03-2017, 17:43
Was it easy to set up, get the speaker balance etc. cos it looks like it would have been a nightmare:eek::eek:

Marco
17-03-2017, 18:34
Lol... A little challenging, as old houses have 'odd-shaped' rooms, and because in this instance the system had to fit in with the room, rather than vice versa, as was the case in the hi-fi room upstairs, where the main system is.

Fortunately the Sony AV amp has a good user interface, with lots of adjustments for different settings, in terms of speaker set-up, etc, so I got there in the end :cool:

Marco.