PDA

View Full Version : You know you've had a good night when...

Lawrence001
11-08-2016, 00:07
A mate's round, you've had a few drinks and you dig out the valve amps you bought and put immediately away and never heard as you're not allowed them when the kids are home..

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160811/3de9ee459bcf9430de363f41bea50c91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninanina
11-08-2016, 00:19
A mate's round, you've had a few drinks and you dig out the valve amps you bought and put immediately away and never heard as you're not allowed them when the kids are home..

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160811/3de9ee459bcf9430de363f41bea50c91.jpg

They look lovely Lawrence... I would personally 'put the kids away' and have them out permanently :eek:

Lawrence001
11-08-2016, 00:49
Thanks I thought about it but the amps won't look after me in my old age...

Ninanina
11-08-2016, 00:53

That is so true... look nice though... what are they?

Lawrence001
11-08-2016, 01:29
The pre is a Tektron but it uses German inter war post (telecom) valves - Siemens Ba DHT's. I've not found any info on this version on the web I think it's pretty obscure. I bought the monoblocs off a guy he said an ex BBC engineer made 2 sets one for himself and the other pair for this guy. I suspect they are not a million miles from Quads as they use a pair of KT66s and one other valve in common but the other is different (an ECC83 IIRC). Anyway they sound lovely but something at the back of my mind is telling me to try a pair of Living Voice Avatars to get the best out of them. Preferably in a nice burr wood veneer!

Lawrence001
11-08-2016, 01:36
Also the CD transport on the top rack is a beaut. A top loading Micromega Duo. The full size acrylic lid means you really feel like you're putting an LP on. And it sounds great too but that's just a bonus! It's so nice to get settled in a new home and finally set up the system you've had scattered round or boxed up for lack of space.

Firebottle
11-08-2016, 05:20
Nice one Lawrence, another monoblock set up :stalks:

Get your mate to fend the kids off, then you're not the bad guy :eyebrows:

struth
11-08-2016, 08:59

Neither will the kids :D

WESTLOWER
11-08-2016, 10:13
They look lovely Lawrence... I would personally 'put the kids away' and have them out permanently :eek:

Lawrence...Nice Valve Amps are meant to be heard…Kids are not! ;-)

Frazeur1
11-08-2016, 15:12
Neither will the kids :D

Exactly what I was thinking as well!

Floyddroid
16-08-2016, 05:21

There is no binding contract to say that your kids will either. Ha ha:lol:

Floyddroid
16-08-2016, 05:25
Which model of speaker are they Lawrence? They look to have a 12" driver?

Marco
16-08-2016, 13:54
...you wake up, turn over, and the slapper lying next to you doesn't have a beard!! :D

Marco.

Audio Al
16-08-2016, 15:21
Just put a cricket bat in front of the amps as a reminder :eyebrows:

eisenach
16-08-2016, 15:31
A friend of mine in France has the Micromega Solo and the accompanying DAC. It's still after all these years and fine sounding pair, though the transport is getting a bit picky about the discs it reads, now. The proverbial switch off and back on can help sometimes.

Marco
16-08-2016, 16:29
Just put a cricket bat in front of the ams as a reminder :eyebrows:

Ams? :scratch:

Marco.

Macca
16-08-2016, 16:50
Which model of speaker are they Lawrence? They look to have a 12" driver?

I believe they are Urei studio monitors.

Barry
16-08-2016, 17:52
Ams? :scratch:

Marco.

Misprint for "amps" methinks.

Audio Al
16-08-2016, 18:04
Misprint for "amps" methinks.

dodgy keyboard or my speed typing with 1 finger :)

Lawrence001
15-09-2016, 09:38
Sorry Floyd/Macca missed this thread for a while. They are in fact Wharfedale Laser 400s with the isodynamic tweeter also found in the big Leaks (3090 I think). I've upgraded the crossovers and they are rather nice now. The woofers are 10". My only complaint is that they need socks in the ports for some music at reasonable volumes in my room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tapid
15-09-2016, 09:59
Make sure there clean Lawrence, socks I mean. Interesting looking speakers you have.

Macca
15-09-2016, 11:06
Sorry Floyd/Macca missed this thread for a while. They are in fact Wharfedale Laser 400s with the isodynamic tweeter also found in the big Leaks (3090 I think). I've upgraded the crossovers and they are rather nice now. The woofers are 10". My only complaint is that they need socks in the ports for some music at reasonable volumes in my room.

The chrome trim should have given that away. I read somewhere that the Laser series were the first speakers Wharfedale designed using computer modelling. Not sure if that is true or not.

Lawrence001
15-09-2016, 19:10
I think I read that in some marketing blurb I found online. I understand the Laser moniker refers to laser interferometry. If that is where the spiral pattern of holes on the bextrene midranges (to remove the bextrene quack?) comes from that technology then these weren't the first as the same cones were in the Linton XP or XP2s which I think predate these although I could be wrong. However the use of computer optimisation may have been new like the ab variant of the Kef 104s. The use of polypropylene woofers was quite advanced at the time, these are roughly contemporary with and may even predate the Missions that adopted this material.

I really like them, I think part of the attraction though may be the lack of awareness out there of the top of this range (above the 100 model ie the 200 and 400 which featured the isodynamic tweeter, and pushing against the snobbery of wharfedale of this period (mainly correctly) being looked down upon. I bought them after hearing my friends Leak 3090s and wanting that sound in a smaller cabinet. Nice full bass as to be expected from late vintage large boxes with 10" woofers but the treble is detailed and smooth without being bright as you would expect from a quasi ribbon. The midrange was shouty when I bought them, the treble recessed and the bass a bit woolly but new capacitors (like for like Alcaps except an MKP poly on the tweeters to replace the low loss Elcap original. I've owned a lot of speakers over the years and these are among my favourites.

Lawrence001
15-09-2016, 19:18
Good point, fortunately the clothes horse was nearby so I took them off that. Otherwise I may have taken the pair off my feet rather than have to go upstairs to the sock drawer. Although at least I wouldn't have had to worry about running them in.

Make sure there clean Lawrence, socks I mean. Interesting looking speakers you have.

Lawrence001
15-09-2016, 20:21
The Solo was the CD player but I think it had a digital out for use with a dac. The duo was a transport and a matching dac while the Trio system has a seperate PSU (for the dac I think). Haven't heard the Dacs but my duo transport outperforms any player/transport I've ever owned by a considerable margin the whole soundstage just seems to open up and the bass is tighter.

A friend of mine in France has the Micromega Solo and the accompanying DAC. It's still after all these years and fine sounding pair, though the transport is getting a bit picky about the discs it reads, now. The proverbial switch off and back on can help sometimes.