PDA

View Full Version : Do you turn your amp off, or leave it on?

Sabaselfsit
07-08-2016, 11:02
Know a guy who bought a NAD 216 power amp in 1995 and has never turned it off for the past 21 years. He is of the opinion that it is better. The 216 still works perfectly and he has never had any trouble with it. Having a successor of this amp myself, a class A amp which run pretty hot when pushed I of course understand that turning it off every day means that solder joints and components are exposed to stress from being cold/hot/cold every day. And know that some amp manufaturers actually recommend in the manual to keep them on (Naim for example).

Until last year I used an old mosfet amp from 1979. It worked flawlessly for me. The other day I took it out from storage and hoked it up, and there was a loud buzzing noise which sounds like a capacitor dried out. Maybe this would have happened anyway if I still used it for the last year...but actually it seems like it didn't like being disconnected and put to storage.

I am sure the answer can be different with different amp designs, and most modern amps usually have standby mode. But what are peoples opinion and experience with this?

struth
07-08-2016, 11:06
If its always been on then how does he know its better lol.

Not something id advise with an amp, especially not if you have a class A

Sabaselfsit
07-08-2016, 11:09
If its always been on then how does he know its better lol.

He is of the opinion it is better for the amp to do so, from a durability point of view. Not that is sounds better. ;)

walpurgis
07-08-2016, 11:23
I wouldn't leave anything on all the time.

If your old amp made a buzzing noise. Have you looked inside? It may be a relay playing up. Should be dead easy to change if it is.

Oddball
07-08-2016, 11:52

If your old amp made a buzzing noise. Have you looked inside? It may be a relay playing up. Should be dead easy to change if it is.
No ,I wouldn't leave anything on all the time either !! Fire comes to mind , apart from the power consumption over time !!
I turn my mine off at the plug socket , rather than the amp switch , which I leave on .

Gazjam
07-08-2016, 11:56
Valve power amp off... On again in the morning at the weekend or at night when home from work.

SS Preamp always on...
wouldn't normally but only uses 10 watts AND Densen advises it to be left on unless going away for a holiday!

Macca
07-08-2016, 12:05
Mine lives in standby unless I'm going away for a few days or more. If it didn't have standby then I'd turn it off completely when not in use. The way I see it stuff is going to wear out whatever you do, when it does you fix it or replace it. I had a friend who always left his Audiolab amp powered on, something failed whilst he was out and the amp melted all over his tuner, running that too. This also cost me an amp as he borrowed a quite decent Marantz off me as a 'stop gap'. (This was about 1992, when I last saw him about 2004 he was still using it).

Sabaselfsit
07-08-2016, 12:23

Not opened it up yet. Need to find time in winter to check it and possibly change all caps. Fantastic old dual power supply amp that deserves to live on. :)

No ,I wouldn't leave anything on all the time either !! Fire comes to mind , apart from the power consumption over time !!
I turn my mine off at the plug socket , rather than the amp switch , which I leave on .

Yes, fire is what came to my mind also.

Valve power amp off... On again in the morning at the weekend or at night when home from work.
SS Preamp always on (wouldn't normally but only uses 10 watts)

Why do you keep the pre on apart from the low power consumption?

Mine lives in standby unless I'm going away for a few days or more. If it didn't have standby then I'd turn it off completely when not in use. The way I see it stuff is going to wear out whatever you do, when it does you fix it or replace it. I had a friend who always left his Audiolab amp powered on, something failed whilst he was out and the amp melted all over his tuner, running that too. This also cost me an amp as he borrowed a quite decent Marantz off me as a 'stop gap'. (This was about 1992, when I last saw him about 2004 he was still using it).

Sorry to hear about your Marantz. Did you ask in 2004 if he keep the Marantz on all time also, or if he learnt? :P

Marco
07-08-2016, 12:25
As mine is a valve amp, it's switched off until I need to use it... It would be rather unsafe, not to mention costly otherwise!

However, all my solid-state gear (CDP and DAC) remain switched on 24/7, and have been like that for almost 8 years, with zero issues.... A) It sounds better that way, as the kit is warmed up and ready to perform at its best, and I find things fail less that way. The leccy use is also minimal.

In my experience, equipment is most likely to go pop upon when it's switched on, due to current surges, especially when components are brought to life from stone cold. One of the things all electrical devices hate is continually being switched on and off.

YMMV :)

Marco.

RobbieGong
07-08-2016, 13:22
This topic has been discussed here before I'm sure. It's one of those matters people do ponder about.
Personally I never have and never would leave my amp permanently on. I don't see a point to it or that it would be a 'good' thing.

Arkless Electronics
07-08-2016, 13:27
Always switch everything off when not in use. It will last much longer that way.

RobbieGong
07-08-2016, 13:30
Always switch everything off when not in use. It will last much longer that way.

I'm no expert but that's kind of how I see it too...

Arkless Electronics
07-08-2016, 13:33
I should be saying leave it on all the time really... I get a fair bit of work dealing with stuff that has been on 24/7 and needs a total re-cap and service....

DSJR
07-08-2016, 14:02
Leave on evenings and weekends when you're hopefully using them, but your electricity bills will thank you for switching off when not in use. I have to say that competently designed gear these days seem to come on song very quickly from power-on, or at least in 45 minutes or so for those with Class A driver stages that need to warm up - I think.

Marco,

I remember seeing once a pair of Quad II power amps (hot running casework if mine are anything to go by) that were left on 24/7 in a vented studio cupboard for ten years or more, only being switched off and brought out because the studio was having a re-vamp (dates of previous services were labelled on the case). I'd be terrified to do this with any valve amp in all honesty, especially vintage ones as the fire risk could be huge I imagine, having seen the firework displays some are/were capable of (my newish Croft OTL kept popping rail fuses for no reason or rhyme and really frit me to death on one occasion, playing quietly in the background one Saturday evening when I had visitors round - the internal sparkling firework display was spectacular)...

Some of the amps I have were designed for 24/7 use. the HH VX300 I was given was run in an editing suite for over fifteen years and it's doubtful it was ever turned off. (These suites now use Dyn-Audio actives or very expensive Genelecs as the amps are built in). The main board bias resistors (feeding the adjustment presets) show signs of board heating and apparently these resistors should be replaced at some point as the values drift off. the supply caps look intact with no bulging and I replaced the smaller electrolytics on the main board and swear the sound is better and a genuine step closer to the amps I make, which engage you from the moment music goes through them. These amps had had several 'domestic' lives on them and owed the company nothing, but it still works and sounds great - not too 'transistory' although the very fine emotional clues that NVA does so well are diluted a little - I use LS5 speaker cable here by the way.

Naims were a different matter (I believe they've changed now and use more film caps on the main amp circuit). The supply caps were run close to max, into three ohm Linn speakers they ran hot (250's especially) and stress on other internal amp components allowed the bias and offset voltages drifted badly on CB and Olive models to the point that they really needed service every couple of years or so ime- you could tell if they'd gone off because the bigger ones ran warmer on idle, the sound deteriorated and 135 fans ran all the time (noisy buggers they were back then).

Here's the HH inside. Thermal marks are on the main board top left (banks of resistors above presets) and right hand side, sadly hidden under the wiring loom.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/DSCF2897_zpsw6ened8m.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/user/DSJR_photos/media/DSCF2897_zpsw6ened8m.jpg.html)

Arkless Electronics
07-08-2016, 14:14
:rolleyes:

Marco
07-08-2016, 15:09

Not in my experience, although I'm happy to accept your (rather greater) experience differs :)

Marco.

Arkless Electronics
07-08-2016, 15:43
Check out any electrolytic capacitor datasheet. lifetime in hours is always one of the most prominent specifications. It varies between 1000hrs and about 10,000hrs depending basically on how much you want to pay for your capacitors. These figures are at maximum rated temperature which is 85C for standard caps, 105C for high temp rated ones and 125C for automotive rated caps and at normal room temperature you will get MUCH longer life than this spec suggests. It is relatively unusual for a electrolytic to just fail altogether but the capacitors "quality and effectiveness" gradually fades usually...

Something like a totally cold running SS pre amp will often last for years used 24/7 but it will still wear faster than if switched off after use. A power amp running comfortably warm on the other hand will often be worn out after lets say 1-3 years if left on 24/7, and probably below par due to wearing caps in a third of that time....

Semiconductors can also wear if on 24/7 but this is much more unpredictable.

Simon_LDT
07-08-2016, 15:51
I've always turned my amps off when not in use. I wouldn't have the balls to leave stuff permanently turned on - I'd be worried about it haha. I do turn on my amp a good 20-30 minutes before critical listening, not that I probably need to with my particular amp but I'd rather do that than leave in on 24/7.

danilo
07-08-2016, 15:53
Leaving Gear on 24/7 is IMO yet another Audio Weenie "myth" that seemingly refuses to die.
We Are an odd bunch.. when all is said and done :eyebrows:.

Arkless Electronics
07-08-2016, 15:58
Leaving Gear on 24/7 is IMO yet another Audio Weenie "myth" that seemingly refuses to die.
We Are an odd bunch.. when all is said and done :eyebrows:.

Indeed... in fact, to be bluntly honest, I would say about 85% of all technical things said in magazines and on forums are simply wrong!!

struth
07-08-2016, 16:13
Once accidentially left my a1000 on over night. Its 50w class a had really warmed the room up overnight and this alertedme to finding out why. Damn thing was quite hot..radiator full blast hot... If id known i wouldnt have slept with that downstairs lol

Marco
07-08-2016, 17:35
Check out any electrolytic capacitor datasheet. lifetime in hours is always one of the most prominent specifications. It varies between 1000hrs and about 10,000hrs depending basically on how much you want to pay for your capacitors. These figures are at maximum rated temperature which is 85C for standard caps, 105C for high temp rated ones and 125C for automotive rated caps and at normal room temperature you will get MUCH longer life than this spec suggests. It is relatively unusual for a electrolytic to just fail altogether but the capacitors "quality and effectiveness" gradually fades usually...

Something like a totally cold running SS pre amp will often last for years used 24/7 but it will still wear faster than if switched off after use.

What about a DAC and CD player? That's my only SS kit. As I've said, both units have been switched on 24/7 for approximately 8 YEARS, so the caps therein seem to be lasting quite well? ;)

Marco.

Marco
07-08-2016, 17:40

No "myth", as far as I'm concerned. All the audio equipment I've used in the last 30-odd years has undoubtedly sounded better after approximately 30 mins use, from cold.

Therefore, with the low current-draw SS kit I've got (CD and DAC), I simply choose to by-pass that short warm up time, by leaving it switched on 24/7, so that the first piece of music I play sounds as good as it possibly can - and I've been doing that for the last 8 years, with that kit, without any issues :)

Marco.

walpurgis
07-08-2016, 18:16
My phono stage, DAC and power amp sound flat and two dimensional when first powered up. Then, after about ten minutes the magic starts happening. The sound steadily improving for maybe twenty minutes more.

But I won't leave it switched on :).

Barry
07-08-2016, 18:18
All preamps, phonostages, the CD player and electrostatic speakers are kept on 24/7 and only switched off when away from home. Power amplifiers switched on when required.

Apart from one house move and a few power cuts, my electrostatic speakers have been constantly powered for the last forty years. One of the failure modes is that of the diodes of the power supply, due to repeated in-rush current each time the speakers are switched on. They only consume 6W each, so I'm not going to worry about running costs.

True, electronics will last longer if not constantly running hot, but the BBC kept a lot of their electronics on all the time and I don't think they had too many problems with that - certainly less than that due to thermal cycling caused by switching gear on and off.

Arkless Electronics
07-08-2016, 18:21
Leave it on folks... more work for me....

RobbieGong
07-08-2016, 18:31

:lol:

danilo
07-08-2016, 18:38
No "myth", as far as I'm concerned. All the audio equipment I've used in the last 30-odd years has undoubtedly sounded better after approximately 30 mins use, from cold.
Marco.

No arguement with that when it's a heat dependant bit 'o gear.
Some gear is, much isn't.
It's the 24/7 power up Myth that's the faith based one imo :eyebrows:.

Marco
07-08-2016, 18:39

Could you answer post #22 please, daftee? ;)

Marco.

Marco
07-08-2016, 18:41
My phono stage, DAC and power amp sound flat and two dimensional when first powered up. Then, after about ten minutes the magic starts happening. The sound steadily improving for maybe twenty minutes more.

But I won't leave it switched on :).

At least you can hear (and acknowledge) the clear sonic improvement gained by doing so :thumbsup:

Marco.

Marco
07-08-2016, 18:43
True, electronics will last longer if not constantly running hot, but the BBC kept a lot of their electronics on all the time and I don't think they had too many problems with that - certainly less than that due to thermal cycling caused by switching gear on and off.

;)

Marco.

Marco
07-08-2016, 18:45
No arguement with that when it's a heat dependant bit 'o gear.
Some gear is, much isn't.
It's the 24/7 power up Myth that's the faith based one imo :eyebrows:.

Yeah, I only do that because in my experience equipment lasts longer that way, than being continually switched on and off. It certainly doesn't take 24 hours to sonically come on song, though! :D :nono:

Marco.

Arkless Electronics
07-08-2016, 18:47
Could you answer post #22 please, daftee? ;)

Marco.

I have nothing further to say on the matter.

Marco
07-08-2016, 18:49
Why on earth not? :scratch:

You always go that way when one of your 'mantras according to Jez' is challenged or disagreed with. TBH, mate, it's childish and rather disappointing. You can't expect folk to agree with you all the time, or have your opinions 'written in stone'.

Marco.

Macca
07-08-2016, 19:16
I think this is one of those topics where a man is best just stating his opinion and leave it at that. People have to make up their own minds and have their own experience.

Incidentally I have a Linn LK100 that I used to leave on all the time and I'm fairly sure it has gone a bit noisy compared to when I first had it. Might get Jez to sort that out if he will deign to touch it.

walpurgis
07-08-2016, 19:20
I think this is one of those topics where a man is best just stating his opinion and leave it at that.

Probably. If somebody wants to risk burning the home down, what can we do?

Barry
07-08-2016, 19:24
Probably. If somebody wants to risk burning the home down, what can we do?

Unplug all electrical equipment when you go to bed: fridge/freezer, microwave, TV, DVD player, Freeview or Sky box, cordless phone, mobile phone chargers etc. etc. ...! ;)

Macca
07-08-2016, 19:25
There's not that much risk of catastrophic failure with a DAC or a CD player. After all we all keep our refrigerators on all the time and we don't worry about them do we? I suspect any typical family home has a dozen gadgets or more permanantly powered up. And most will be cheap tat, engineering-wise.

Macca
07-08-2016, 19:28
Unplug all electrical equipment when you go to bed: fridge/freezer, microwave, TV, DVD player, Freeview or Sky box, cordless phone, mobile phone chargers etc. etc. ...! ;)

If you unplug the cable box you have to wait for it to boot up again. That's such a pain in the arse I'll just take a chance on it not bursting into flames.

Arkless Electronics
07-08-2016, 19:38
I think this is one of those topics where a man is best just stating his opinion and leave it at that. People have to make up their own minds and have their own experience.

Incidentally I have a Linn LK100 that I used to leave on all the time and I'm fairly sure it has gone a bit noisy compared to when I first had it. Might get Jez to sort that out if he will deign to touch it.

Hmmm if I must... I'm no fan of Linn kit.

Arkless Electronics
07-08-2016, 19:40
Why on earth not? :scratch:

You always go that way when one of your 'mantras according to Jez' is challenged or disagreed with. TBH, mate, it's childish and rather disappointing. You can't expect folk to agree with you all the time, or have your opinions 'written in stone'.

Marco.

I guess you have no use for doctors, consultants, solicitors, plumbers etc.... or maybe the ones closest to you actually come to you for professional advice? :ner:

struth
07-08-2016, 19:56
Things electrical often go pop at start up. switchdown too sometimes.. hey Ive even seen them go pop during use lol... No, its true that say an electrical bulb, mostly goes on switch on; various reasons for it, but I have no probs if folk want to leave low power, mostly signal type things on 24/7 tbh. I did with my dac, as it didnt have a way of switching off bar getting to the plug and pulling it.
..oh yes, it needed a day on, to sound at its best imo anyways. no idea why but it did, but as geoff says, the first 1/2hr was very important, as he has same unit I think.
Dont advise power amps etc to be, unless they have a standby mode. but its up to folks to do what they do... not sure if you may be invalidating your insurance mind.

Marco
07-08-2016, 20:03
I guess you have no use for doctors, consultants, solicitors, plumbers etc.... or maybe the ones closest to you actually come to you for professional advice? :ner:

Being facetious to deflect from the issue doesn't cut it, Jez. What has the above got to do with the question I asked you in post #22?

The problem you have is believing that your opinions should be treated automatically as 'gospel', simply because of the nature of your profession. I'm afraid that on here it doesn't work like that. No-one carries 'guru status', beyond questioning.

Now, since you rather rudely won't reply to a perfectly reasonable question I've asked, I don't see why I should waste time engaging with you any further on this subject, as you clearly think that, per usual, you know it all! :doh:

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
07-08-2016, 20:14
43 posts, seriously! Just turn all your stuff off. It only takes a few seconds if its SS for it to be optimally working and a lot longer if its valve powered ;).

Arkless Electronics
07-08-2016, 20:19
Being facetious to deflect from the issue doesn't cut it, Jez. What has the above got to do with the question I asked you in post #22?

The problem you have is believing that your opinions should be treated automatically as 'gospel', simply because of the nature of your profession. I'm afraid that on here it doesn't work like that. No-one here carries 'guru status', beyond questioning.

Now, since you rather rudely won't reply to a perfectly reasonable question I asked, I don't see why I should waste time engaging with you any further on this subject, as you clearly think that, per usual, you know it all! :doh:

Marco.

I wonder if all those capacitor manufacturers know how much time and money they have been wasting in providing life time figures for their products... or if all the semiconductor physicists know they were wrong about electron migration effects in semiconductors... and I've surely imagined all the rebuild kits available for TV sets and monitors etc which consist of new electrolytic capacitors to replace the faulty ones which have gone after 2 years or so.... I rest my case.

Wakefield Turntables
07-08-2016, 20:23
oh FFS why do all discussions have to end this way?

Macca
07-08-2016, 20:23
This is always a contentious issue whenever it comes up. Surprisingly so, really. Whenever you have two very opposite opinions the truth usually lies between them. Some equipment lasts longer switched on all the time, some doesn't. Some equipment sounds better left on all the time, and with some it makes no difference.

Wakefield Turntables
07-08-2016, 20:26
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way and the only way, it does not exist" - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche.

Marco
07-08-2016, 20:27
You're 'resting' nothing whatsoever, Jez, including your propensity for dogma.

Others and I (see Barry, for example) have given you evidence which proves that what you're preaching about the thread topic doesn't *always* apply - it may do in the majority of cases, but not always!

Otherwise, why have the CDP and DAC I've left switched on 24/7, for the last 8 years, not failed yet? Both are choc-full of caps, which you're TELLING me can't last that long - and yet I have the evidence that you're wrong right in front of me.

I'm not 'imagining' that either! :rolleyes:

Marco.

Marco
07-08-2016, 20:28
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way and the only way, it does not exist" - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche.

Are you directing that at Jez? It is rather apt! :D

Marco.

Marco
07-08-2016, 20:29
oh FFS why do all discussions have to end this way?

It's a robust debate, Andy. If you don't like it, mate, don't read it.

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
07-08-2016, 20:36
Are you directing that at Jez? It is rather apt! :D

Marco.

Nobody really, its a neutral statement just desgined to highlight the futility of this argument. We cant prove anything thats been discussed, so why bother?

It's a robust debate, Andy. If you don't like it, mate, don't read it.

Marco.

OK, I accept your opinion, its just as valid as anyone else's but it just makes me VERY sad we have bad words on the forum and sometimes loose good people.

Marco
07-08-2016, 20:41
But we're not losing anyone, Andy. It's a simply a bunch of guys having a discussion/disagreement about hi-fi - the norm on any hi-fi forum. You can't expect it to be rose petals and chocolates all the time! ;)

If we all agreed with each other and patted each other on the back continually, this would be a rather sad place. We discuss/debate matters because this is a discussion site. I'm not saying I'm right, merely relating my experiences on the thread topic, some of which are contrary to Jez's, which others can take heed of or not.

Marco.

Arkless Electronics
07-08-2016, 21:03
You're 'resting' nothing whatsoever, including your propensity for dogma.

Others and I (see Barry, for example) have given you evidence which proves that what you're preaching about the thread topic doesn't always apply - it may do in the majority of cases, but not always!

Otherwise, why have the CDP and DAC I've left switched on 24/7, for last 8 years, not failed yet? Both are choc-full of caps, which you're TELLING me can't last that long - and yet I have the evidence that you're wrong in front of me! :rolleyes:

Marco.

No I am not telling you they can't last that long. Temperature plays a huge part in it as does the ripple current being passed by a capacitor. As electrolytic capacitors wear they use up electrolyte and "dry out". In bad cases you can feel that they are too light when picking them up! As they wear the ESR increases (Equivalent Series Resistance), the capacitor becomes less "good", the increased ESR causes greater resistive losses and more heat,... a runaway reaction.

Now the last worst scenario isn't going to happen, by and large, anywhere but in PSU capacitors, which will also usually have the shortest life for the above reasons. The wear rate approximately doubles for every 10C temp increase BTW.

Now you Marco, and others, claim to be able to hear the difference between mains cables and brands of resistor used in a passive.... The caps in your gear that's been on for 8 years will probably only be at 40 - 85% of there original spec, which would worry me if I were you:) Why such a wide range? Because the exact spec and make of the cap combined with how hot and how much ripple current it passes make it inevitable that there will be big differences. I'd wager that the main smoothing capacitors in your gear on 24/7 are pretty shagged and probably more like at 24 - 40%. These changes happen even slower than the wear on a stylus so aren't always noticed until something goes altogether... then after repair and recap one thinks wow that's better than I remember;)

I trust I don't need to post links to capacitor manufacturer's web sites etc.....

Transistors, IC's ("chips") etc also have a form of wear out mechanism but it's much less predictable and one can almost find examples which seem to prove it wrong.... Some will seem to just go on and on. In general though they will have a life of lets say 35 years but in some cases it has been known for these wear mechanisms to cause failure in as little as 5 years, and really Large Scale Integration LSI (ie frigging thousands of transistors on one chip) it tends to be worse. Now these are most likely to fail at switch on, but one which indeed does just that was faulty/sub spec/worn anyway and the longer it's been on the more likely it is to fail after switching off and then back on.... because the wear mechanism has had longer to do its damage. Chances are that was the slightly noisy transistor that's been crackling just slightly and randomly for the past few weeks;)

Arkless Electronics
07-08-2016, 21:05
"Calm down dears it's only an advert" Michael Winner:D

Marco
07-08-2016, 21:16
Indeed. However, why couldn't you have provided that answer in the first place, when I asked you earlier?

All I wanted was some clarification on why the caps (mostly Black Gates, incidentally) in my CD player and DAC have lasted so long, after being in constant use for 8 years, and now you've provided it. That wasn't too difficult, was it, and now others can benefit from our exchange and perhaps learn something new!

The information you've provided is interesting, and I shall take it on board, but as my CDP and DAC are functioning perfectly, and sound as good as ever, I've no such concerns at the moment. However, if that situation changes, I will most certainly do something about it :)

Marco.

Arkless Electronics
07-08-2016, 21:30
Indeed. However, why couldn't you have provided that answer in the first place, when I asked you earlier?

All I wanted was some clarification on why the caps (mostly Black Gates, incidentally) in my CD player and DAC have lasted so long, after being in constant use for 8 years, and now you've provided it. That wasn't too difficult, was it, and now others can benefit from our exchange and perhaps learn something new!

The information you've provided is interesting, and I shall take it on board, but as my CDP and DAC are functioning perfectly, and sound as good as ever, I've no such concerns at the moment. However, if that situation changes, I will most certainly do something about it :)

Marco.

Why couldn't you just take my word for it? Would you argue cornering technique with Schumacher? Cubism with Picasso? :D :) :lol:

struth
07-08-2016, 21:31
Personally, YUP!!!:D

Arkless Electronics
07-08-2016, 21:35
Personally, YUP!!!:D

:lol: Yeah I probably would 'n all:doh:

Marco
07-08-2016, 22:13
Why couldn't you just take my word for it? Would you argue cornering technique with Schumacher? Cubism with Picasso? :D :) :lol:

Ha! I might've done, if you'd given me some 'words' to work with, instead of flouncing off, like a big girl, saying that you were "making no further comment"!! :lol: :ner:

Marco.

Arkless Electronics
07-08-2016, 22:20
Ha! I might've done, if you'd given me some 'words' to work with, instead of flouncing off, like a big girl, saying that you were "making no further comment"!! :lol: :ner:

Marco.

And did you not later say something like "if you are going to be like that I see no further point in arguing with you"? :ner:

Anyway Marco, between us we've put the world of hi fi right and I do enjoy our little "debates" :):D

Marco
07-08-2016, 22:34
Indeed... :grouphug:

No tongues now! :eek:

Marco.

Arkless Electronics
07-08-2016, 22:39
:no: :sheep:

Sabaselfsit
08-08-2016, 00:26
I am so happy we are all friends again now. :rfl:

This thread turned into way more than I expected, and I am happy about it; because just like Marco pointed out - I (and I think others) learnt much from it. That is what forums like this is all about when members get engaged and discuss/share. :clapclapclap:

And by the way; both my Nad and DAC (which get pretty hot) are in standby mode for the night. :thumbsup:

Firebottle
08-08-2016, 05:45
Ha! .... like a big girl, ...............

Don't we all like big girls?

http://cdn.complex.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/moretolove_justine.jpg

realysm42
08-08-2016, 07:24
I used to leave everything on; once Jess called me and asked me if my stereo was meant to be making this noise (hold phone to driver and I hear a horrible buzzing sound that shouldn't have been there as the dac was in standby mode). Was pretty worrying, ever since then I turn the amp off everyday but leave the PC and dac on (standby).

Marco
08-08-2016, 08:07
I am so happy we are all friends again now. :rfl:

This thread turned into way more than I expected, and I am happy about it; because just like Marco pointed out - I (and I think others) learnt much from it. That is what forums like this is all about when members get engaged and discuss/share. :clapclapclap:

We aim to please, Andre. Little fallouts and disagreements are inevitable when opinionated and experienced people debate subjects that they're passionate about - and hi-fi is like that :)

I'd far rather have that than the unchallenging blandness of universal agreement on every matter! That would make for total yawnsville.... ;)

Marco.

rdpx
08-08-2016, 16:32
I am sure the answer can be different with different amp designs, and most modern amps usually have standby mode. But what are peoples opinion and experience with this?

I like having it off when I go to bed.

:smoking:

Marco
08-08-2016, 17:13
Trouble is, you keep puncturing 'her'.... :eyebrows:;)

Marco.

Martyn Miles
08-08-2016, 17:26
As this thread has gone off on various tangents, I will answer the original question.
I turn my amplifier off when I've finished listening.

Martyn.

Arkless Electronics
08-08-2016, 18:11
Standby is not always what it seems. There are various methods of giving some sort of standby function but some will leave the whole power supply running and it's the capacitors in just that bit that are under most strain. It will be much reduced during standby usually as with less power draw there is less ripple current through the main smoothing caps, but often it is not the case that it is in effect "off". I worked on a CD player a few weeks ago in which putting it into standby switched off the externally sourced CD mech and it's board, plus all the lights and display, but left the entire DAC and audio output section fully powered up from a separate power supply ;)

Macca
08-08-2016, 18:47
My XTZ amp is stone cold when I take it out of standby but is quite warm on the top plate when I put it back into standby after a few hours of use. Does that mean it is going into 'proper' standby as opposed to just switching the display off?

Arkless Electronics
08-08-2016, 19:03
My XTZ amp is stone cold when I take it out of standby but is quite warm on the top plate when I put it back into standby after a few hours of use. Does that mean it is going into 'proper' standby as opposed to just switching the display off?

It at least means that the actual power amp circuitry is being powered down, as one would expect. In order to have a standby some form of PSU needs to be kept running to accept and act on the command to come out of standby. Ideally there is a small separate transformer running at low power and heat that provides the power to pull the thing into life. Things are not always ideal though and sometimes a remote option, (usually a reason for standby) is added to a unit which never originally had this and the cheapest method is usually used. Generally, in the case of a power amp, it will have to be done fairly "proper" so long as it is not powered by a SMPS... I won't bore you with the details....

hifinutt
08-08-2016, 19:06
I just forgot to turn my amps off for 20 hours ...oh my gosh the room was like a sauna !!! heaven knows what the leccie bill will be

Macca
08-08-2016, 19:09
Thanks Jez. It doesn't have an SMPS. It does have a remote though. Still, you reckon I should just switch it off at the back every time to preserve lifespan? They don't make them anymore and I do like it.

Macca
08-08-2016, 19:13
I just forgot to turn my amps off for 20 hours ...oh my gosh the room was like a sauna !!! heaven knows what the leccie bill will be

Yep that was a mistake. I sometimes do the same thing with the immersion heater. Best not to dwell on it. ;)

Arkless Electronics
08-08-2016, 19:23
Thanks Jez. It doesn't have an SMPS. It does have a remote though. Still, you reckon I should just switch it off at the back every time to preserve lifespan? They don't make them anymore and I do like it.

In your case probably only the standby and possibly remote circuitry is being worn whilst on.

Ninanina
08-08-2016, 19:34
My Oto is always turned off but the cd transport and Dac remain on

struth
08-08-2016, 19:46
I like having it off when I go to bed.

:smoking:

whats that? the wig, or truss :D

Spectral Morn
08-08-2016, 20:25
My pre-amp sounds best left in standby but I no longer leave it on as I can't afford to leave too much on. So I leave both DACs on, my Moon Andromeda CD player and the phonostage also on, but everything else is fully off. This was the best compromise and yes I can hear the difference from cold to fully warmed up, even with the amps, but sources seem - in my current case - to be more fussy and take longer than the pre and power amp to warm up - hence some of them are on and the amps off.

Leaving an amp on is mad, if it goes DC or something else serious fails you will not only lose the amp but more than likely the speakers too.

Of course leaving any electrical item on runs the risk of something going wrong, possible fire etc. When I go away I switch everything off and unplug them, in a thunder storm I switch off and unplug too.

struth
08-08-2016, 20:42
only thing I have on is the mains regenerator..everything else is off, and most are also disconnected by the Belkin filter/distribution box.

Marco
08-08-2016, 21:53
What about your electric air pump for inflating 'Brenda'? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Macca
09-08-2016, 07:37
He's got that on a timer.

Joe
09-08-2016, 08:19
A switch round the back is usually a sign that the item in question should be left powered up, so my Exposure CDP has been switched on more or less continually for the 15 years I've owned it, as has the Meridian CD transport in the downstairs system. Everything else gets switched off though.

brian2957
09-08-2016, 08:21
He's got that on a timer.

I thought he took Brenda down to the petrol station :)

struth
09-08-2016, 09:05
What about your electric air pump for inflating 'Brenda'? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Nicked! Using manual means now.... You know? Give her a good pumping:eyebrows:

Spectral Morn
09-08-2016, 11:04
:doh:

:offtopic:

struth
09-08-2016, 11:22
Sorry, i didnt start it.... I will ban myself immediately

Spectral Morn
09-08-2016, 11:26
Sorry, i didnt start it.... I will ban myself immediately

Always wanted to use that emoticon ;) :D

Marco
09-08-2016, 11:28
I'm not sure it succeeded in portraying what you expected... ;)

Marco.

hifi_dave
09-08-2016, 16:56
Should it have been...:booty: