PDA

View Full Version : Low bass, whoow

Firebottle
25-07-2016, 18:05
Call me a saddo, I don't care.

I have a copy of London Grammar - If You Wait. The first track is known to many I guess, Hey Now.

It has a fabulous bass line on it, which comes through superbly on the set-up I have.

I was wondering what the lowest note actually was, so I measured it off the sub with my frequency counter :mental:

Turns out it was bottom C, or C1 if you prefer, that's 32.7Hz, wow !

:)

r100
25-07-2016, 18:19

I have a copy of London Grammar - If You Wait. The first track is known to many I guess, Hey Now.

It has a fabulous bass line on it, which comes through superbly on the set-up I have.

I was wondering what the lowest note actually was, so I measured it off the sub with my frequency counter :mental:

yeah, I've also noticed the very low bass on that record... it really goes way dowwwwwwwnnnnnnnnn :eek: and rendered to perfection by a pair of decried LS 50's :D

Jimbo
25-07-2016, 18:50
Probably only possible as is cut on 45rpm vinyl. :)

Barry
25-07-2016, 19:33

Some recordings of R. Strauss's 'Also Spract Zarathustra' (used in the film '2001 - A Space Oddessy') use an organ having 32' stops, producing a note of 16.35Hz. In most recordings however, the opening organ note is 32.7Hz.

My humble Quads (not noted for their bass performance) easily reproduce this note, but not with sufficient weight required to satisfy bass enthusiasts.

daytona600
25-07-2016, 19:47
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iYgf6PWYK8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDdYseRIUBQ

two of my favs for testing low bass no idea of the Hz but my speakers are flat to 16hz with 1800wpc

Macca
26-07-2016, 07:48
[
two of my favs for testing low bass no idea of the Hz but my speakers are flat to 16hz with 1800wpc

They are what now? What on earth are they?

Jimbo
26-07-2016, 08:51
The lowest bass I have ever heard was on a Batman movie recording on some KEF blades. Subsonic ground shaking stuff!

fatmarley
26-07-2016, 09:37
Played that track loud a couple of years back at Scalford. When the bass kicked in, it modulated the vocal and sounded like a robot voice. That's what happens when you put a driver in a sealed box that's far too big.

realysm42
26-07-2016, 10:11
Jamie xx - Gosh is quite fun for bass.

Nebula -Visions of paradise is a beautiful dnb roller with real bass.

The Bug - Freak Freak is a goodun too.

daytona600
26-07-2016, 14:05
They are what now? What on earth are they?

Active electrostatics with 4x900w amps

Macca
26-07-2016, 15:11
But what make or are they DIY?

I can't imagine how big a panel needs to be to be flat to 16Hz - is there some sort of box subwoofery?

Frazeur1
26-07-2016, 18:04
Daytona, I assume you are using a quad of ESL mono's, which Sanders, 10 or 11? I am sure it depends on the room etc., I certainly didn't realize either speaker would get that low even being a hybrid. That is impressive!

I have spent time with the Sanders Magtech amps, fantastic amps there.

daytona600
26-07-2016, 19:07
Sanders Magtech power amps & Model 10 Speakers with 10inch transmission line bass
you can tweak the external digital crossover DBX DriveRack VENU360.
set 22Hz @ -2dB Db for full output @ 4000wpc if using monoblocks @ 4ohm
but if you limit power output to about 750w ( approx one horsepower )
you can extend to subsonics without any damage , unless you want to go deaf !
not really about subwoofer style bass but extended LFE speed & control
if you really drive them very hard 94db efficiency at really serious outputs you limit peak power to approx 100v/100amps
Driverack you can adjust - Room Correction System, Digital Signal Processor, and Real Time Analyzer etc . etc

http://dbxpro.com/en-US/products/driverack-venu360

daytona600
26-07-2016, 19:31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dat0Ytw-iy4

Frazeur1
26-07-2016, 23:08
Very nice Scott, I knew that there could be some adjustments made, still quite an achievement though. I do love the Sanders amps, and while the ESL loudspeakers are nice too, I have not heard them where they create a stage width that I am totally happy with-head in vice sort of thing. Then again, it is all a bit above my pay grade at the moment, but it never hurts to dream big!

daytona600
27-07-2016, 09:53
" I have not heard them where they create a stage width "
need a big room , mine are 17 feet apart & create a huge soundstage

Floyddroid
27-07-2016, 12:38
Indeed, i remember when i got it i nearly passed a kidney stone.

CornishPasty
27-07-2016, 12:45
My IMFs and JBL 6290 give me all the bass I need. Forty years old and still able to surprise quite a few people!

JohnJo
30-07-2016, 23:42

This is 1st fret on the low B string of a 5 string bass guitar with standard tuning, when the string is played open ( no left hand on the neck) you get the low B note.

There are bass guitars with a further 2 or 3 strings below this, not something that interests me but they are out there.

What I find more impressive is the late J D Sumner's voice could go below this easily and often did and this was when singing, not making a drone noise which I think has been used to claim the Guiness record for low vocal.

Just when you were listening in disbelief at his bass singing he would drop a full octave!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._D._Sumner

Ninanina
31-07-2016, 00:03
Some recordings of R. Strauss's 'Also Spract Zarathustra' (used in the film '2001 - A Space Oddessy') use an organ having 32' stops, producing a note of 16.35Hz. In most recordings however, the opening organ note is 32.7Hz

I believe the recording you need is this one, it has thunderous bass... I can't reproduce it properly with my system but I've heard it on a friends system that can and it is quite 'stirring' :stalks:

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a450/ninanina2/Strauss.jpg (http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/ninanina2/media/Strauss.jpg.html)

Haselsh1
31-07-2016, 07:18
My IMFs and JBL 6290 give me all the bass I need. Forty years old and still able to surprise quite a few people!

Yep, I have never heard bass like that from a decent pair of IMF's ever. I so miss those loudspeakers and their later cousins, the rather decent Studio range from TDL.

CageyH
31-07-2016, 10:43

Sade - "soldier of love" sounds rather good on vinyl too. ;)

Firebottle
31-07-2016, 15:45
Excellent Kevin, I only have it on CD :)

danilo
02-08-2016, 19:20
Impressive results indeed.
Especially so as human hearing ( Likely in a Preteen :-) is down 50 db at 30hz

walpurgis
02-08-2016, 19:36
Test your hearing and frequency response here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf9nzvnd1k

walpurgis
02-08-2016, 19:37
Impressive results indeed.
Especially so as human hearing ( Likely in a Preteen :-) is down 50 db at 30hz

Is it just me, or does that have a whiff of sarcasm about it?

Barry
02-08-2016, 20:48
So according to the Fletcher-Munson curve (or is it the Roberson-Dadson curve?) one's hearing is down 50dB at 30Hz compared with that at 1 KHz. So what? you can still hear 30Hz if it's there. You can even experience sub 20Hz notes; in the case of the latter you tend to feel them rather than hear them.

Macca
03-08-2016, 07:38
If the speaker is flat in room down to 30Hz, a 5db dip due to hearing is not that much, you are still going to hear very low bass at high spl. Most speakers that claim that sort of extension will be well down in level at that frequency, though. All these little standmounts that people claim have impressive bass are not doing much that is audible below 100Hz, they just have a bass hump around that frequency so the perception is that they 'have good bass'.