PDA

View Full Version : MiBO Nov 5th - Runners & Riders

Macca
23-07-2016, 09:11
This is a list of attendees and the kit they intend to bring. Please only post here about what you intend to bring along and I'll update this first post as we go along. Use the other MiBO thread for anything else related. I've included the couple of people who have expressed an interest but are not sure if they can come due to work commitments.

Martin (Macca) - Firebottle Dulci SECA amp, IMF TLS 50 speakers

Ali Tate (Ali Tait) full system incl open baffles, RTR, Slagle pre-amp, Firebottle 2 box phone stage, Tandberg TD20A R to R and a Teac P30 cd transport

Barry (Barry) plus one - Pair of Quad 510 monoblock power amps
Thorens TD124/II TT with SME 3009/S2 arm. EMT XSD15, Ortofon SPU, Ortofon MC200 and Denon 103 cartridges
Mark Levinson ML25 phonostage and ML26 preamp
Nagra IV-S portable reel-to-reel tape machine

Dave (Jollyfix)

Alan (Firebottle) plus one - KIN preamp, AIR power amp, Firebottle Monoblocks, valve and SS head amps, Grundig R2R and vintage Goodmans Mezzo 3 speakers

James (Jimbo) plus one - a turntable

Paul (Big Vern)

Rich (Rich B) Edingdale or Rega speakers

Brian (Brian 2957)

John (John B)

Marco (Marco)

Mark (YNWAN)

Justin (User 211) Lampizator B7 DAC

Steve (Floyddroid|

Alan (337alant)

Barrington (Mayebaza)

Sharif (Audioflyer) Thorens super TD160 and High Octane pre amp

Shaun (Stig)

Ken (Qwin) plus guests - Quad S-1 or S-2 speakers with ribbon tweeter

Mark (DeepDiveDog)

Mick (MickyRicky)

Lee (lee Henley)

Peter (petrat)

Nial (ff1d1l) JBL 4410's and Luxkit z504

Ali Tait
23-07-2016, 14:06
LOL, why is it no one in England can spell my name?

struth
23-07-2016, 14:16
LOL, why is it no one in England can spell my name?

Sweet as sugar Ali eh?:lol:

Ali Tait
23-07-2016, 14:19
:D

Macca
23-07-2016, 15:11
Sorry Ali, now amended. If it is any consolation no-one in England can spell my name although Americans seem to have no trouble with it.

I've added Alan's full kit list. Another reel To reel. That's 3 so far! Don't suppose anyone has any Tape Project albums (or originals) they could bring?

User211
23-07-2016, 17:56
If anyone has a pair of the following triodes (that definitely work!:D): 45, 245, 345, PX-4, 6A3, 300B, 101D I'd really appreciate it if you brought them along. Interested to try anything that'll work in the B7 as triode swaps change the nature of the sound of the DAC quite markedly.

I'll bring a few different types - Sylvania VT52, Cunningham CX-345 (1920s!!!), Tung-Sol 6A3, TJ 2A3 etc...

Marco
26-07-2016, 07:23
Looks like the thermionic side of our hobby is going to be well represented! :eyebrows:

Marco.

RichB
28-07-2016, 19:55
I'll bring speakers. If I need to take a passenger or two it will be the Regas, if I come on my own it will be the Edingdales. My car is so much smaller nowadays

Macca
29-07-2016, 10:36
List updated.

ff1d1l
11-10-2016, 13:48
I'll probably bring the Khozmo pre, Wyred4soundRemedy, Mus fid DAC and a Yam 2700 universal player too, so effectively a system. The Yam will play DVD-As or high res burnt to DVDAs through the the DAC etc, but not SACDs. Personally I can't tell the difference reliably between this and red book but people might like to try...

RichB
11-10-2016, 15:58
I'll also have room to chuck in my Croft Micro Basic preamp and the Mini-t for the usual s***s and giggles. I'll also bring the Marantz CD63SE and cables so effectively a system.

Barry
11-10-2016, 20:07
Given the fragile nature of such things, I've decided not to bring up my TT, arm and cartridges.

I will however be bringing along a pair of monoblocked Quad 405s fettled to Keith Snook v3.0 and with upgrades to the power supply, as well as a pair of Quad 510 monoblocks.

Martin will you be bringing anything else to the party? ;)

Oh - another thing, would anyone be interested in doing a bit of cable 'rolling'? I can bring up some balanced XLR-terminated cables I've made using various cable (Klotz, Van Damme, Chord, Gotham and Sommer).

Floyddroid
13-10-2016, 06:57
Shall I bring my Schiit Mani phono stage? That is if we are all still here by then like due to the Russian's pointing nuclear capable missiles at us.

User211
13-10-2016, 11:04
Might be fun to start proposing hypothetical systems from the bits people are bringing.

Any proposals? Maybe he who is bringing loudspeakers could select from what's there so far? With swap ins and outs?

Barry
13-10-2016, 11:13
Might be fun to start proposing hypothetical systems from the bits people are bringing.

Any proposals? Maybe he who is bringing loudspeakers could select from what's there so far? With swap ins and outs?

Good idea Justin. Will anyone be bringing some electrostatic speakers?

Just to clarify, I'll be bringing the following power monoblocks:

Modified Quad 405s (100W/channel)
Quad 510s (output adjustable between 36W/channel and 135W/channel)

as well as a

Mark Levinson ML25 phonostage (set for EMT cartridge) and ML26 preamp.

Jimbo
13-10-2016, 11:23

This will be happening for sure Justin as Firebottle and myself will be putting together a Frankenstein system!:lol:

Firebottle
13-10-2016, 12:33
That's if I can get the nuts in my neck tightened up :eyebrows:

I said I might bring ESLs but it is looking less likely. Between Jimbo and myself we will have a full system with the weak link being the speakers - Goodmans Mezzo 3, but with alternative tweeters.
If they get a good reception I will be very pleased.

Qwin
13-10-2016, 17:46
I am now bringing:

Quad S-1 Stand mount speakers with ribbon tweeter, don't forget your stands Martin ;)

Pro-Ject Phono Box RS, a highly adjustable phono stage with balanced inputs/outputs as well as phono sockets.

Record - Fleetwood Mac - Rumers, 45 RPM, 2disc American release, on 180g.

I need to confirm if Gordon (halfway Tree) is coming in a car share and if he's bringing anything.

EDIT: Gordon is coming, no kit planned but that might change between now and the meeting :)

Audioflyer
14-10-2016, 11:56
Just an update of kit I'll be bringing:

Modified Thorens TD160 Super with RB300 and GP390 ceramic cartridge.

High Octane RIAA phonostage (Diyaudio Project).

Modified quad 22 preamp with seperate PSU.

Restored (1978) JBL L40 speakers and home built stands.

Sharif.

Jimbo
14-10-2016, 21:02
I will be bringing a Lenco GL75 with Shure M55e / JICO SAS cartridge.

If anyone has any other cartridges in the Lenco bayonett headshell they would like to try please bring along and we could have a cartridge shoot out with the Shure / JICO. :)

Marco
24-10-2016, 18:13
I'm going to 'travel light' this time, in terms of equipment, and give others the chance to demo their stuff, so I'll probably just bring my Croft preamp (as I haven't taken it to a bake-off for a while) and perhaps my Paul Hynes head amp, thereby providing a top-notch active preamp and phono stage for anyone who wishes to slot it into their system :)

However, I intend bringing a load of vinyl, so that others can enjoy some of the music I listen to (that is the stuff they don't know/have already), and I can get to hear it on systems different from my own. Should be fun! :cool:

Remember, if anyone would like taxi-ing to and from the 'gastro pub', should folks want a drink, I'll be available for that purpose during meal times on both the Friday and Saturday. All part of the service, so just let me know :)

Marco.

Firebottle
24-10-2016, 19:15
...so I'll probably just bring my Croft preamp (as I haven't taken it to a bake-off for a while) and perhaps my Paul Hynes head amp,

Now this is going to be an interesting bake off with my Vivant and valve head amp ;)

Marco
24-10-2016, 19:40
Lol.... All just different flavours, mate, of an already tasty morsel! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Barry
24-10-2016, 20:31
Can someone remind me of the MC cartridges that are going to be used, so I can set up my phonostage to suit in advance. I don't really want to mess about with screwdrivers and Allen keys on the day.

Ali Tait
24-10-2016, 20:38
Benz SLR Gullwing, if I bring the TT.

Barry
24-10-2016, 20:45
Benz SLR Gullwing, if I bring the TT.

So will 64dB gain with a loading of 825 Ohm do?

Bourney
02-11-2016, 19:07
I'm hoping to be there Saturday morning until mid afternoon. I live 15 mins away so it would be rude not to.
I don't know many of you from this forum so not sure of the fornat compared with other bakes I've attended and hosted. I've got a couple of bits of kit i could bring if you think there will be time in the window above and if there is sufficient interest in the kit to warrant the dismantling and loading up

Chevron paradox dac
Either. Definitive modified Audio innovations S500
Or Leben CS300
WLM la scala speakers.

Steve

DiveDeepDog
02-11-2016, 19:21
I've currently got DL103 on my Sony, it will accept a straight SME type headshell if anybody wants somat else?

Macca
02-11-2016, 19:28
If the speakers are too much of an ask I'd be interested in hearing the Chevron. And the Leben. If you have to go early we can put you in early. Which goes for everyone else who isn't staying for the full distance of course. just let me know on the day.

Ali Tait
02-11-2016, 19:34
So will 64dB gain with a loading of 825 Ohm do?

Sorry Barry, missed this. Yes that should be ok.

Floyddroid
03-11-2016, 07:32
i love the Sony TT. If you ever fancy selling it let me know Mark.
I've currently got DL103 on my Sony, it will accept a straight SME type headshell if anybody wants somat else?

Floyddroid
03-11-2016, 07:35
Well, i'm just about sorted. i put some tracks on to an old Sony tape yesterday so hopefully fingers crossed it won't sound too bad. Is anyone taking a pre-amp i could purloin to use with my Power amp?

Firebottle
03-11-2016, 07:51
I'll have a little passive with me if that's any good Steve?

Ali Tait
03-11-2016, 08:38
Yep I'll have my Slagle AVC Steve.

Audioflyer
03-11-2016, 08:56
I'm bring a Quad 22 that been modified to a line stage only preamp it still uses the ECC83 stage with a mosfet source follower.

Do I need to bring the Quad II's?

Sharif.

mayebaza
03-11-2016, 09:16
Can someone remind me of the MC cartridges that are going to be used, so I can set up my phonostage to suit in advance. I don't really want to mess about with screwdrivers and Allen keys on the day.

I will be using a Micro Benz Wood SL. To make life easier, I will bring my SUT. :wave:

RichB
03-11-2016, 09:17
Well, i'm just about sorted. i put some tracks on to an old Sony tape yesterday so hopefully fingers crossed it won't sound too bad. Is anyone taking a pre-amp i could purloin to use with my Power amp?

I'll hoy the Croft in but I think it's likely outclassed by some of the other models people are bringing.