PDA

View Full Version : The end of Nebo

Floyddroid
11-07-2016, 22:29
Hi guys.

I am sad to announce that I am bringing to an end the the North East Bake Off. Having read with interest threads elsewhere about Nebo 7 and the stress caused by some of the comments and to be honest total bullshit about it all I simply feel very disheartened by the whole thing.

I have really enjoyed the events over the past few years and wish to thank all of those people who made the days very special indeed. I would never have met some of the great people I have had it not been for Nebo. Nebo meets have been very special days indeed and i have enjoyed every one. There has been some rather special moments like Alan Towell's fantastic home made amps and his superb reel to reels.

All good things come to an end and despite some of the comments I have read elsewhere on the Web I feel very proud of Nebo and would like to think i have made a few friends over the past few years. However, i am sure that many of you will understand that although my intentions have been honourable with good intentions the hatred and disdain for me in certain sectors makes me feel that it is all just simply not worth my while. I will now simply get on with enjoying music and my hi-fi in the same way I did before I ever thought of Nebo.
I will of course continue to post here and pfm with my usual enthusiasm. Cheers guys.:cheers:

337alant
12-07-2016, 02:48
Hey Steve,
I'm really sad to hear about that but I understand your reasoning completely.
I think the Bake offs have been excellent events and we have all had the chance to meet some of the nice people we interface with on these forums and hear some excellent vintage equipment and new music I would not of otherwise had the opportunity to sample.
They have always be well organised, had a good turn out and always been a friendly and enjoyable day, so Steve you have nothing to regret mate and my hat is off to you for organizing these events in the first place :youtheman: also I wouldn't have met you and Neil Blackwood without the NEBO, how sad would that be.
:clapclapclap:
well done mate

Best Alan

Firebottle
12-07-2016, 05:46
That is sad news Steve, particularly as I haven't managed to get to one :doh:

Rather more disappointing that the trolls come out with bulsh*t for what has come across as a very enjoyable and informative series of events.
I for one have very much enjoyed reading the NEBO reports.

Thanks Steve :thumbsup:

brian2957
12-07-2016, 07:30
Now that's very sad news Steve . As Alan says it's fully understandable as by going the extra mile ( and some ) to organise the NEBOS you seem to have become the target of some horrible people on the internet .
Me and the guys ( Ali and Gary ) have travelled quite a few miles to attend the last two and personally I've really looked froward to them and really enjoyed them when they've come around . It's been a pleasure to meet your good self and all the other guys who have attended the Nebos which I've attended .
Thanks for giving me something to look forward to throughout the year mate , and thanks for all your efforts in organising these events for the troops . They've all been a bit different and a bit special Steve so well done mate:)

Floyddroid
12-07-2016, 07:31
Many thanks Alan. We really must stay in touch. So lets make sure we do.
Hey Steve,
I'm really sad to hear about that but I understand your reasoning completely.
I think the Bake offs have been excellent events and we have all had the chance to meet some of the nice people we interface with on these forums and hear some excellent vintage equipment and new music I would not of otherwise had the opportunity to sample.
They have always be well organised, had a good turn out and always been a friendly and enjoyable day, so Steve you have nothing to regret mate and my hat is off to you for organizing these events in the first place :youtheman: also I wouldn't have met you and Neil Blackwood without the NEBO, how sad would that be.
:clapclapclap:
well done mate

Best Alan

Floyddroid
12-07-2016, 07:33
Many thanks Alan. :)
That is sad news Steve, particularly as I haven't managed to get to one :doh:

Rather more disappointing that the trolls come out with bulsh*t for what has come across as a very enjoyable and informative series of events.
I for one have very much enjoyed reading the NEBO reports.

Thanks Steve :thumbsup:

Floyddroid
12-07-2016, 07:39
It's been great to meet you and the Scottish mafia Brian. I have to say what a fantastic group of gentlemen. At least now we can put names and voices to each other via AOS et al. Thank you for your support and it has been all worth while given your comments. Thank you and the boys for travelling all that way but most of all for pitching in and making the events so special.
Now that's very sad news Steve . As Alan says it's fully understandable as by going the extra mile ( and some ) to organise the NEBOS you seem to have become the target of some horrible people on the internet .
Me and the guys ( Ali and Gary ) have travelled quite a few miles to attend the last two and personally I've really looked froward to them and really enjoyed them when they've come around . It's been a pleasure to meet your good self and all the other guys who have attended the Nebos which I've attended .
Thanks for giving me something to look forward to throughout the year mate , and thanks for all your efforts in organising these events for the troops . They've all been a bit different and a bit special Steve so well done mate:)

clarkey555
12-07-2016, 10:41
Well Steve this comes as quite a shock to me I didn't realise there were unsavoury things happening in the background ahh well that's a blow. I concur with everybody else that it was great to put faces to names and to meet lots of fellow enthusiasts. I have met a few lads anyways through the nebo who as far as I am concerned are friends for life none more so than you mr Petch I would like to thank you for all the bloody hard work that went on behind the scenes and for commitment above and beyond not just for nebo but all the other good work you do for all us progheads.
A sorry day and a big thankyou for at least taking it as far as it has.
RIP NEBO

RichB
12-07-2016, 10:53
Sorry Steve but I think you've let them dickheads get to you and have given them a f**kin victory they don't deserve. I understand your reasons though and you'll have nowt but respect from me for what you did. If its a ballache then you'd be right to drop it but I won't easily forgive them who made it a ballache.

Now if you gents will excuse me I'm off to quietly seethe at the entirely f**ked up state of affairs which has brought this around. I may be some time...

Floyddroid
12-07-2016, 11:02
Indeed Mr B. I am a beaten man. I suppose it is easy to put on a brave face and make out like these things don't affect you but the truth is the do. It's been great though and i have made some great pals along the way not least your good self.
Sorry Steve but I think you've let them dickheads get to you and have given them a f**kin victory they don't deserve. I understand your reasons though and you'll have nowt but respect from me for what you did. If its a ballache then you'd be right to drop it but I won't easily forgive them who made it a ballache.

Now if you gents will excuse me I'm off to quietly seethe at the entirely f**ked up state of affairs which has brought this around. I may be some time...

Floyddroid
12-07-2016, 11:03
Cheers young man. Too kind.
Well Steve this comes as quite a shock to me I didn't realise there were unsavoury things happening in the background ahh well that's a blow. I concur with everybody else that it was great to put faces to names and to meet lots of fellow enthusiasts. I have met a few lads anyways through the nebo who as far as I am concerned are friends for life none more so than you mr Petch I would like to thank you for all the bloody hard work that went on behind the scenes and for commitment above and beyond not just for nebo but all the other good work you do for all us progheads.
A sorry day and a big thankyou for at least taking it as far as it has.
RIP NEBO

YNWaN
12-07-2016, 11:39
I wouldn't let the bitter ramblings of a handful of Internet trolls put you off - who cares what they think.

Audio Al
12-07-2016, 11:43
Hi Steve
Why not keep NEBO going but do it privately , don't post it on the net you will then avoid the minority who are hell bent on destroying it
You know who has attended in the past and must have contact details or phone numbers for them

DONE let THEM win , yourself and attenders have and hopefully will continue to enjoy these extra special events

Set up a " Inner Sanctum "

Please keep it going ;)

mik_rik
12-07-2016, 17:17
Well Steve,sorry to hear this.My view is if you let them see that their "best shot" has no effect (by not biting back) then it leaves them with nowhere to go.Starve them of the oxygen of a reply and they'll wither on the vine.Sicken them off even more by carrying on with the NEBO's ,you have more than enough friends than to let them get at you........all the best Mick

Macca
12-07-2016, 17:26
I don't see why this has to be the end although I understand and respect Steve's decision. Maybe one of the other regulars might step in and do it? I know Steve put a lot of time and effort into establishing the event but now it is established how much is there really to do? Book the venue, tell everyone the date, everyone turns up and has a party.

jandl100
12-07-2016, 20:16
On the internet, there are always going to be haters that are gonna hate.

So what? That has always been the case.

Carry on regardless! :thumbsup: - it is abundantly clear that for many attendees NEBO is one of the highlights of their year.

Fantastic job, Steve - I can understand you being upset at the negative reaction of a poisonous few, but the positives seen here and elsewhere should easily outweigh them.

Keep NEBO going! :)

walpurgis
12-07-2016, 20:44
On the internet, there are always going to be haters that are gonna hate.

So what? That has always been the case.

Exactly. Who gives a toss what a bunch of dicks hiding behind keyboards says. Ignore 'em! They're just inadequate cowards that wouldn't have the bottle to do it face to face.

Floyddroid
12-07-2016, 21:29
I am humbled by some of the positive comments here and on social media. However, i have been shocked by the comments elsewhere in fora land which have been to a point antagonistic and in some cases abusive. Such characters should never be underestimated and other personal issues leave me wary and distrusting of faceless people i don't know and what they are capable of. The people who attended Nebo meetings are the best people i have met. Absolute diamonds. It scares me to think however that there are those out there in the ether who make vile comments and think it's ok or don't think for one minute that they may be the ones to blame for the way a person has been affected. It is by far better to remove myself from the firing line than to risk being in the middle of a situation i will have no control over.

Cotlake
12-07-2016, 23:43
Oh for G sake, this is all about words on the Internet. What nonsense. Disregard the Internet and just think about the event. Did it go well? Did you and your mates have fun? Did you all learn a thing or two about component performance? More importantly, did those attending want to do it again?

If the answer to all these questions is yes, please, recognise the size of the pair you already have, ignore the ignorance you have been reading and rather, address the positive responses you've had from people here who want it to go on yet again. Please shut out the ignorant nonsense, consentrate on the comments from proper friends who were actually there and act in future on what they have to say.

if you don't do this, you're a fool. If you ignore the critics, anchor on what your mates have said and strive ahead for the next NEBO, you will be showing you rise above the negative crap, take on board what your mates tell you, and expect a positive result......as every NEBO has been to date. Do it and see how many of your mates rise up in support! For sure it will happen.

jollyfix
13-07-2016, 09:01
Oh for G sake, this is all about words on the Internet. What nonsense.
I don't think its as simple as that Greg. I have had nasty things said about me online before ( mainly to do with my work and people wanting favours etc). I found it very difficult, and having people say its just words ,nonsense, and to grow a pair was not helpful, and made it worse for me.
I don't know whether Steve feels the same, but i respect his decision.
I have friends who have been to NEBO, and have only praise for Steve. I don't know anything of whats been said or written online, but from experience the thought that the scum who say shit may turn up at your home, do something to your family etc, scary...
I hope NEBO continues, and as been said already just keep it offline etc.

jandl100
13-07-2016, 09:18
This seems to some up the attendees feelings from the NEBO7 thread ...

My show report: .....

..... Thanks to Steve for once again organising a great day. Just like a big party, really, in which some semi-serious (and occasionally some serious) listening breaks out. Look forward to the next one. :)

Go on, Steve, NEBO 8 -- don't let the bad guys win.
Organise it privately if you feel it wise - but do it. :thumbsup:

jollyfix
13-07-2016, 09:43
I am humbled by some of the positive comments here and on social media. However, i have been shocked by the comments elsewhere in fora land which have been to a point antagonistic and in some cases abusive.
Steve ii seems that you have had a look at the site where these trolls spew their crap., after posting about no more NEBO. I would say well clear, and never look to see what has been said etc.
Jerry and others have said, keep NEBO going. there are many who would share the work with you. Keep it under the radar, i am sure everyone will keep it quite. Just take some time to think about it. Please don't feel pressurised into keeping it going, up to you end of the day. Just give it some time...

struth
13-07-2016, 10:04
Might it be possible for one of the other prominent Nebo-ers take up your baton and run with it. Be a shame if such a great meet was to petre out in such a way. Just a thought.

vinyljunky
13-07-2016, 10:12
I had a shit 2015 my hifi gear was stolen and early 2016 my dad passed away one of the things that got me through it was looking forward to nebo and for that I'm eternally grateful to Steve petch.It is indeed a sad day but Steve thanks for all the wonderful memories I will treasure them for the rest of my life the nebo crowd are a brilliant bunch of lads and the meets were nothing short of fantastic I urge either Steve to reconsider or someone else to take up the baton nebo should not die long live nebo

realysm42
13-07-2016, 11:05
(Semi rhetorical) Why have a (small) percentage of people always got to act like pricks and try to spoil things?.

This is a hobby. It's meant to be fun. You know that thing we occasionally experience in life? If you want conflict go fight in a war or something. Jesus, grow up you mugs. The thing that really raises my ire is those idiots are probably getting a right boner reading this thread...

Never went to the show but have always enjoyed reading about it, sounded like a lot of fun! If I had one piece of advice it would be try not to be too reactive, think things through, give it some time and see how you feel; it might be different to how you do right now. Beauty of hindsight and all that.

Firebottle
13-07-2016, 11:12
I don't think this is spilling the beans too much but Jimbo and myself have talked about doing a WEMBO (West Midlands...you know the rest) at some time in the future.
No progress yet but there is interest :)

vinyljunky
13-07-2016, 11:20
May have to take up bog snorkelling now

Macca
13-07-2016, 11:24
LOL I have been discusing with Marco about doing a Midlands Bake off - or 'MiBO'

Reckon my name is better ;)

jandl100
13-07-2016, 11:34
A WEMBO or a MIBO sound like they may be within sensible distance for me. :thumbsup:

jollyfix
13-07-2016, 11:38
A WEMBO or a MIBO sound like they may be within sensible distance for me. :thumbsup:
Me too.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

jandl100
13-07-2016, 12:25
Definitely a bit of a hifi vacuum for the NE, though - NEBO 8 yay :yay:

RichB
13-07-2016, 22:01
I think a MiBO is a great idea, mix it up a bit and dare say many of us will support it.

One of the biggest benefits of NEBO has been the ability to transcend the forum and get to know some of the people behind the avatars personally. There's not one of you I've met who wouldn't be welcome in my home for a drink and some tunes. Indeed some of us have become good pals and enjoy gigs and other events together.

From the sounds of it a MiBO could have a lot of potential for members unable to make the journey up north and maybe next year if Steve wants to pass the NEBO dutchie I'll be happy to take it pon de left hand side...

http://youtu.be/IFv2Tf2isNw

struth
13-07-2016, 22:13
Sure they will both be well attended. Pity I cant manage these things, but its always nice to see some pics and read the reports.

vinyljunky
14-07-2016, 09:42
I'd love to see rich come off the subs bench and take over He'll have big shoes to fill

RichB
14-07-2016, 09:48
I'd love to see rich come off the subs bench and take over He'll have big shoes to fill

:lol:

brian2957
14-07-2016, 10:15
:lol::lol:Cheeky Steve . Well done Rich , looking forward to the next one mate :)

RichB
14-07-2016, 10:29
:lol::lol:Cheeky Steve . Well done Rich , looking forward to the next one mate :)

Cheers Brian, as I say I wouldn't want to do anything until next year and even then there would need to be sufficient appetite for it.

For now let's all get behind Martin and his MiBO suggestion. Expect there will be a lot of cross pollination between them with people attending either or both so we'd need to ensure they were far enough apart in the calendar to make both viable or else we'd risk ending up like the Leeds/Reading festival lol.

brian2957
14-07-2016, 11:39
Yup agreed mate , so lets see what comes up :)

Macca
14-07-2016, 12:02
We've been talking about doing a meet for those living further south for a while now so MiBO is in no way intended as a replacement for NEBO, more of an extension of the concept.

Starterman
14-07-2016, 13:32
I am humbled by some of the positive comments here and on social media. However, i have been shocked by the comments elsewhere in fora land which have been to a point antagonistic and in some cases abusive. Such characters should never be underestimated and other personal issues leave me wary and distrusting of faceless people i don't know and what they are capable of. The people who attended Nebo meetings are the best people i have met. Absolute diamonds. It scares me to think however that there are those out there in the ether who make vile comments and think it's ok or don't think for one minute that they may be the ones to blame for the way a person has been affected. It is by far better to remove myself from the firing line than to risk being in the middle of a situation i will have no control over.

Very sorry to read this.
If NEBO goes by the wayside then so be it, but to make somebody feel like this after a huge amount of selfless effort is disgusting and pathetic.

vinyljunky
14-07-2016, 16:30
I wholeheartedly agree with you Dave I just think the people that do it are just green one eyed monsters who didn't come up with the idea themselves so they just want to rain on the persons parade.Well done Steve for coming up with the idea and well done rich if he continues it.

struth
14-07-2016, 16:41
Very sorry to read this.
If NEBO goes by the wayside then so be it, but to make somebody feel like this after a huge amount of selfless effort is disgusting and pathetic.

Tis their raison d'être.

Firebottle
14-07-2016, 17:20
Tis their raison d'être.

Probably, but they wouldn't understand that terminology, maybe this instead :guns:

Floyddroid
14-07-2016, 21:34
Thanks guys for all of the above support and positive comments. Nebo has indeed become an institution and something i am proud as punch of. However, certain events and comments have simply sickened me and certainly robbed me of my enthusiasm. As for those who brought me to such a decision i have to say that i have nothing but disdain for them. I hope that one day their vitriol and poison becomes their undoing which i am sure in some form or another it will. I am more than happy to hand over the baton to Rich Britton to continue with Nebo whilst i bow out and watch from the sidelines. I spoke to Marco on the all English electric telephone this evening and had a long chat about the situation and i have to thank him for his continuing support not only with Nebo over the years but other matters too. I wish Macca all the best with his Midlands Bake off and feel well chuffed that he intends to use the tried and tested format adopted by the Nebo clan. A huge debt of thanks go to the Nebo massive (you know who you are) diamonds every one of you. I have no doubt i will meet up with you all at some point and share a drink with you.

To those who moved me to my decision and you know who you are so don't delude yourselves, i consider you to be the chavs of the internet. Nothing more than thugs masquerading as intelligent people who coerce others into thinking the same way as themselves. To you all and the sheep that follow shed your bitterness and paranoia and stop beating up on people who are trying to do good things for others. You may have sickened me enough to give up something that i loved but i am pleased that the people involved in Nebo will continue to hold such events whilst the bitter and twisted sit in their ivory towers spouting negativity. :grouphug:

Good luck guys and big up for Rich who is now your new head of Nebo.

RichB
14-07-2016, 23:38
We've been talking about doing a meet for those living further south for a while now so MiBO is in no way intended as a replacement for NEBO, more of an extension of the concept.

And it's a brilliant one, the geographical location of NEBO was always it's biggest limitation. It's a really logical progression.

Marco
15-07-2016, 22:15
I spoke to Marco on the all English electric telephone this evening and had a long chat about the situation and i have to thank him for his continuing support not only with Nebo over the years but other matters too.

No problem, matey. As I said, 'don't let the bastards win': they're simply inadequate wastes of space, with no lives, who hide behind their keyboards trying to suck the joy from the lives of everyone else, simply because it irks them seeing others being happy.

They are just saddos who, quite rightly, deserve nothing but your disdain - or perhaps a right good slap, if you should ever have the misfortune of meeting them in real life! ;)

I wish Macca all the best with his Midlands Bake off and feel well chuffed that he intends to use the tried and tested format adopted by the Nebo clan.

Indeed, and the best of luck too, to Rich, whom I'm sure will take control of the reins of NEBO and ensure its continued success for the future. All of you will receive our full support. Here's to the continued growth and success of NEBO, MIBO and AoS! :clap:

:cool:

Marco.

struth
15-07-2016, 22:22
We thought about a Scobo, but they took the phonebox away last week :rolleyes::D

Marco
15-07-2016, 23:04
:lolsign:

Marco.