PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of our turntables and tonearms

Iota 1
02-07-2016, 15:31
Pictures of the turntables and tonearms, any comments would be interesting.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17377&d=1467472842

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17358&d=1467306375

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17356&d=1467306270

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17355&d=1467306236

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17354&d=1467306196

www.iota-audio-design.com

Wakefield Turntables
02-07-2016, 15:39
Yep the deck looks nice but what do you want us to comment on? Probably none of us have seen or heard this deck before!!!!!

hifi_dave
02-07-2016, 16:12
Should this be in the Trade section ?

Marco
02-07-2016, 16:28
Hi Nigel,

Have you paid for a trade account? It's just that I can't find any record of such. If you have, could you advise me of your trading name (on your Paypal account, for example) and how you made payment, via PM, if preferable :)

Cheers :cool:

Marco.

Iota 1
02-07-2016, 17:58
For any confusion I may have caused..especially if I put the post in the wrong section... Sorry I'm new here!:rolleyes:

I was just looking for a reaction to the looks of the products at this stage, as I had assumed the sound quality might be a bit difficult to asses over the internet !!!!! Although on a light hearted note Andrew as I see you are located in Yorkshire I could turn the system up and bit if you like, and then you can confirm if this sounds as good as you say it looks?:)

Although you never know I am aware of one case of one well known reviewer who wrote a glowing review of a product, and when the manufacturer got it back it had never been out of the box and the review content turned out to be just their press release copied and pasted.. guess who?

So my reason for the post was I would like to get peoples reaction purely to aesthetics of the products nothing more, and Marco I have sent you a copy of your email confirming our payment.

Audio Al
02-07-2016, 18:11
It certainly is a different look at a TT , Not sure extruded alloy is the best option for the plinth ? frame / body of the TT
What type of bearing does it use ?
Interesting arm design , Is it your own make or someone else's ?

More details ARE required re the build / components used
Is it direct drive as I can't see a motor ?

Marco
02-07-2016, 18:45
Hi Nigel,

No problem, and sorry for the confusion. It's just when I was checking for your account payment, nothing was showing under "Iota-Audio-Design", but instead under NB :)

Also, I need to open up a dedicated sub-forum for you under the name of Iota-Audio-Design, so until that's been done, and this thread can be moved into it, we'll leave it here :cool:

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
02-07-2016, 20:36
For any confusion I may have caused..especially if I put the post in the wrong section... Sorry I'm new here!:rolleyes:

I was just looking for a reaction to the looks of the products at this stage, as I had assumed the sound quality might be a bit difficult to asses over the internet !!!!! Although on a light hearted note Andrew as I see you are located in Yorkshire I could turn the system up and bit if you like, and then you can confirm if this sounds as good as you say it looks?:)

Although you never know I am aware of one case of one well known reviewer who wrote a glowing review of a product, and when the manufacturer got it back it had never been out of the box and the review content turned out to be just their press release copied and pasted.. guess who?

So my reason for the post was I would like to get peoples reaction purely to aesthetics of the products nothing more, and Marco I have sent you a copy of your email confirming our payment.

Your more than welcome to fetch the deck round to my house if you want. Whilst aesthetics are important it's how the thing sounds. Looks like you've put some thought into vibrations suppression into the platter with external psu and vinration absorption on the arms of the platter. Is the tonearm decoupled?

struth
02-07-2016, 20:47
Would prefer it with an S type arm looks wise. Perhaps lose the cork too . Interesting design though:)

Iota 1
02-07-2016, 20:53
Hi Audio Al,

Not sure there is a “best option” for the material for turntable chassis /plinth material, no more than there is an ideal material for a speaker cabinet, as all materials have some problems, but I do agree if extruded alloy was to be used with out due allowance for additional damping and energy control it could create as many problems as it cures.

The extruded aluminium section is stiff strong and relatively light, especially compared to say a solid metal chassis, and it does therefore not store as much energy, whilst its also still capable of providing a clear energy path for unwanted energy and vibration, and as the only options are motion or heat to dissipate vibration that's all kind of important. The sections are essentially hollow so lots of space for the application of damping, and the complicated shape of the section does tend to help especially when this also allows you to attach additional damped structures to it!

Each of the T/T designs use belt drive, and its an AC motor, with our own design of turntable power supply, based upon a design we have been building for many years.

The arm is my own design, and its made in carbon fibre, but Pultruded rather than roll wrapped so immensely stiff and strong along its length. Its obviously square in section externally but internally its round. Once again lots of attention to damping. The tonearm is suspended but also sits on the cone of a control point underneath.

Iota 1
02-07-2016, 21:26
Hi Grant,

Yes you are right different arm shapes and looks can totally change the appearance of a turntable, and as these designs have been the subject of a very long development, at some time or another most of the usual suspects, as well as some you would not consider have been on for evaluation, however Pultruded carbon fibre does not exactly lend itself to that particular look unfortunately.

As to the cork, its not fixed to the platter, but we just really like what it does to the tone and presentation. A final choice of mat is always dependant upon arm, cartridge, and individual customer.

YNWaN
02-07-2016, 22:42
There seem to be two different turntables pictured and both are very interesting. One seems to use a standard platter construction whilst the second uses outriggers that only contact the mat at the centre and points around the edge.

I rather like the aesthetic of both decks :).

P.S. I have one of those record clamps ;).

walpurgis
02-07-2016, 22:51
Interesting design. As the turntable is belt driven with no belt visible, am I correct in thinking there is a secondary platter 'pulley' in the rectangular enclosure beneath the main platter? If so, that seems to indicate that the platter spindle will be long. Does it sit in one low positioned bearing or is there a second supporting bearing above the 'pulley'?

Iota 1
03-07-2016, 20:32
Hi Mark,

Yes you are correct Mark actually its three different models, as follows

iota QT is the “L” shaped turntable.

iota QT Ultra is the “H” shaped turntable with a Rega tonearm with our S/S Swingweight, and ML M platter with cork mat.

iota ultra SP, is the final item again “H” shaped but fitted with the Spindle Platter, and our Satori tonearm. As you say support for the vinyl at the outer edge and around the bearing.

Hi Geoff,

Sorry yes the belt is missing on the iota ultra SP, you can in fact just see the alloy motor pulley towards the rear of the centre hub between two arms of the Spindle platter, from the angle at which the picture is taken its hard to see but the belt drives a sub platter that the centre hub is sitting on.

YNWaN
03-07-2016, 20:42
Ah yes, three decks :). I see the arm mount moves on rails to adjust the mounting distance. The arm with the square arm tube is supported in a manner strongly reminiscent of the Well Tempered design and I see bias is applied in a similar manner.

walpurgis
03-07-2016, 20:52
Hi Geoff,

Sorry yes the belt is missing on the iota ultra SP, you can in fact just see the alloy motor pulley towards the rear of the centre hub between two arms of the Spindle platter, from the angle at which the picture is taken its hard to see but the belt drives a sub platter that the centre hub is sitting on.

I wondered if that was the pulley or a control of some kind. It's a little hard to make out. I understand the configuration now.

Iota 1
03-07-2016, 22:11
Hi Mark,

Yes the arm board can be moved along the extrusion by loosening the cantilever fixings into the T-slot rail and then re tightening, to allow for different arm lengths and geometry.

Yes the arm is suspended but with The Well Tempered that is suspended below the centre of gravity of the tonearm, and then relies upon the silicon in the container below to limit maximum excursion of the tonearm.

On the Satori we suspend it above the centre of gravity, and then control maximum excursion by locating the arm onto the cone of an upward facing control point. The actual point of which makes no contact with the arm. Then unlike the WT as our counterweight is also on an independent pivot, so will swing, hence micro adjustment of Azimuth at the head shell can be made, and the weight will return to perpendicular. Bias does of course depend upon torsional twist of the filaments as you quite rightly say.

Iota 1
03-07-2016, 22:14
Hi Geoff,

Yes would make more sense with a belt, and a lower view point.

Iota 1
03-07-2016, 22:32
This is a view of the QT Ultra without the platter and sub platter.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17357&d=1467306312

The QT Ultra SP version (spindle platter) has an upgraded bearing, different motor pulley to this, as well as a granite base board and upgraded power supply.

YNWaN
03-07-2016, 22:59
Is the Ultra SP a concept? I ask because the platter 'arms' would currently knock into the drive pulley - so presumably some further development is due in this area?

Marco
04-07-2016, 09:08
Hi Nigel,

Your new sub-forum is now open in the trade section, see here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?109-iota-audio-design

Therefore, please 'populate' it at your earliest convenience, simply by starting a thread there, introducing your products and services to our members. Once you've done that, I'll also move this thread into it.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

YNWaN
04-07-2016, 09:12
-

Marco
04-07-2016, 09:12
Nothing's been removed this side, Mark, I can assure you.

Marco.

YNWaN
04-07-2016, 09:13
Sorry, must be my browser doing weird catch up stuff - I was just about to delete my comment but you were too quick for me :).

paulf-2007
04-07-2016, 11:18
Each to his/her own but I personally don't like any of them with that aluminium channel.

The Black Adder
04-07-2016, 12:30
Pictures of the turntables and tonearms, any comments would be interesting.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17377&d=1467472842

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17358&d=1467306375

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17356&d=1467306270

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17355&d=1467306236

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17354&d=1467306196

www.iota-audio-design.com

Hi Nigel

Many thanks for giving us, the AOS membership the opportunity to voice you some feedback on your turntables.

It nice to be asked. :)

I have some points for you.

Firstly, the beams of which they are constructed do look a little basic. That is, they look a little too industrial. The end caps with the bolt through the end kind of makes this look even more industrial. Is there a way of encasing them or maybe hiding the slide groove with wood or acrylic maybe?

May I suggest the end caps to also be wood or covered in wood? Or maybe chamfered black glossy acrylic?

The feet look a little rough around the edges too. Is there a way of making them more substantial looking?

The turntable looks superb, I do like the star design for the platter.

Apart from those points I think they look great. It's nice to see a good, imaginative quality deck that's not a Techy rip off.

I wish you all the the best.

Regards
Jo

Iota 1
04-07-2016, 13:16
Is the Ultra SP a concept? I ask because the platter 'arms' would currently knock into the drive pulley - so presumably some further development is due in this area?

Hi Mark,

No QT Ultra SP is a fully functional item as are the other models, its simply that we have produced a number of different prototypes, with different bearings as well as different sub platters, mounted upon different base boards.

The picture in question is to show how the combination of the SP granite base board and a spindle platter, as it looks when assembled. However in the picture It has a tall metal pulley designed to drive the Spindle platter directly by flat belt, and this involved us raising the Spindle platter and arm board higher than we liked, so the final version has the platter at the same height as in the picture but uses a lower profile metal pulley to drive a thin Acetyl sub platter by round section belt.

see video at

https://youtu.be/RGY2R2lL9ug

Iota 1
04-07-2016, 14:15
Hi Jo,

I appreciate and very much welcome your very constructive criticism.

The products as you see them are best viewed as a work in progress as far as final finish is concerned, each unit so far produced has been built to order so it has been possible to provide an amount of bespoke finish as each customer has requested.

So any of the improvements or changes you suggest are entirely within what can be accommodated in the final build process.

However I have to admit the material used is an industrial material, but selected for what I believe are the right reasons, and perhaps the designs are …. not maybe as subtle or effete as some but hopefully honest in both the choice of materials and why they are used, but within reason I am happy to amend items of finish to suit the individual customer.

However each item used and material chosen has been selected for what affect it has on the sound or the long term reliability. Take the feet for example these are produced using a mixture of cork and polymer resin damping composites, with an anti slip face, they are very stable, strong and fully height adjustable, and what do they do for the sound? Just what I felt I needed.

I have a 500 sq ft workshop with an array of industrial machine tools, and when it comes to feet if its a material that I can put in the lathe and machine I could come up with all sorts of interesting objects, and indeed I have, to prove it I have boxes full of interesting “substantial” objects, but the ones you see seem to sound the best to me. They could be changed but the sound may well change also, and perhaps not for the better.

As to the rest of the design and the appearance I know these will not appeal to everyone, nothing does, but so far some people have, and hopefully perhaps a few more will come to the same conclusion.

I particularly appreciated.

“Apart from those points I think they look great. It's nice to see a good, imaginative quality deck that's not a Techy rip off”.

Best regards

Nigel

The Black Adder
04-07-2016, 18:34
Hi Nigel.

Your most welcome. Great to see innovation and please keep us updated on any future developments. :)

Jo :)