PDA

View Full Version : You Tube App on Smart TV - Caveat Emptor - One day you have it, next you don't.

Spectral Morn
12-06-2016, 10:39
Well yesterday my Panasonic 42GT60 stopped working via the You Tube App, select You Tube and the logo comes up then it reverts to TV, it won't launch.

I googled and guess what Google/You Tube have decided to push a whole range of devices into the cold re support/functionality for the You Tube app. Now according to the list my TV isn't on it, older G30 Panasonic TVs are but the GT60 isn't and yet it no longer works. I see from the AV Forums other GT60 owners are having the same problem. It won't launch via the web browser either, and I have tried removing and reinstalling the app. All other apps work, though Daily Motion no longer permits searching, I guess one has to be a member to get this :(

To say I am very angry re this is putting it mildly as often I spend all day surfing You Tube, watching films etc, instead of watching regular TV channels.

Anyway it looks like its gone from the GT60 now too and joined the other smart TVs etc that no longer work with You Tube, the price of platform/software upgrades by app companies.

To say its been a shock to find out that TVs and the like, even just a few years old might loose functionality you have paid for, even picked a product for has been a real shock. Of course I can wire an HDMI to the TV from my laptop or IPad but I am not sure the quality doing this will be as good as it was before as that was within the TVs function.

Very disappointed and pissed off :steam::(

struth
12-06-2016, 10:44
Ive a small one thats only been used a couple of times :eyebrows: It doesnt work on its apps now.. Been screwed by technology i guess. Tbh i prefer the amazon doodah anyway..much better and even if you dont want the prime it does work well... Not sure if it does youtube though..might well do.

Or there is a chromecast ..it may as well

Spectral Morn
12-06-2016, 10:46
Ive a small one thats only been used a couple of times :eyebrows: It doesnt work on its apps now.. Been screwed by technology i guess. Tbh i prefer the amazon doodah anyway..much better and even if you dont want the prime it does work well... Not sure if it does youtube though..might well do.

Or there is a chromecast ..it may as well

I think it scandalous this happens Grant. I am afraid I won't use Amazon media services, point of principal.

struth
12-06-2016, 10:58
Plenty other available though that will give you these things..probably fasted and better too. The tv ones are usually not that good once youve tried the better ones... I know what u mean re Amazon, but i blame the system as much as anything. I suppose the free market has holes that most companies that can, do exploit

Spectral Morn
12-06-2016, 11:06
I have a Lightning Digital AV adaptor for my IPad I will try hooking the IPad up and see how it looks and sounds.

Spectral Morn
12-06-2016, 11:55
:doh: just forgot my Oppo Bd93 has internet and You Tube capability - setting it up now. Hopefully this will work.

Edit yes we have You Tube again :) but for how long :scratch:

struth
12-06-2016, 11:58
Should do... Think oppo are good at software firmware updates, so if youve not checked then worthwhile doing so

Spectral Morn
12-06-2016, 12:30
Should do... Think oppo are good at software firmware updates, so if youve not checked then worthwhile doing so

Yes just upgraded.

Never used it as a net surfing device, just as a DVD, Blu ray player.

struth
12-06-2016, 12:38
If i had the money id have one too.. Have heard Gary,s and theycare great machines

Spectral Morn
12-06-2016, 13:10
If i had the money id have one too.. Have heard Gary,s and theycare great machines

I bought it after my Dad died and I inherited his Panasonic plasma TV, before that I had a CRT TV so Blu ray was a no go. As I didn't have many Blu Rays I stuck with a Pioneer DVD player I had and its only more recently I have started using it more.