PDA

View Full Version : Microphones and digital (!!) recorders

dave2010
07-05-2016, 19:41
I am wondering if others here have experience of portable recorders, such as various Tascam models, or the Zoom H2n, H5 etc., typically with integral microphones, though some allow external mics to be connected. Which are any good, and are some easier to use than others?

I have used a Zoom q2hd which I used for both audio and video - the video was somewhat ropey, though I think the audio was OK. I had other audio recordings of the same event, and probably the best IMO was done on a MiniDisc recorder with a Sony mic, though it was a bit of a pain to process. I'm sure Sony do newer devices which combine reasonable microphones with a 2 or more track digital recorder. Most of these seem to record onto SDHC cards nowadays. I think the zoom h2n can do surround sound, though whether that's worth attempting I don't know. That would depend on the venue I expect. There may be other integrated mic systems for surround sound, though separate mics could be used with a 4 or more channel recorder. Very possibly it's not worth the bother of using more than two channels, but it'd be good to have some ideas.

I am interested mostly in affordable kit, in the £100-£1k range, though if anyone has more expensive and exotic suggestions I'd be glad to hear of them.

I may do another one or two live recordings later this year, and it'd be good to have suggestions. One venue probably doesn't lend itself to surround sound recording - the surround/ambience would probably just be unwanted noise from the equipment and those of use trying to make the recording, but another venue, which I don't know as yet, may have more potential.

Some very new kit uses WiFi for control and synchronisation purposes (including some camcorders), though I probably don't really need to do that for video work, as I can synchronise audio quite well now using Final Cut Pro X in post production, for example using MultiCam, if the recordings are reasonably OK.

Martyn Miles
27-05-2016, 12:05
I've used a Zoom H4 and its performance is limited by the built-in mics.
I connected a pair of AKG 1000S condenser mics. and the quality was just superb.

I own a fair few high quality mics. and the 1000S are among the best.
The H4 has phantom power, too.

Buy with confidence...