PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with diy mains cable

kininigin
11-11-2009, 13:46
I have recently changed my speakers to actives and have been interested in knowing if having a better mains cable would make them sound better.

Being tight fisted as i am i didn't want to spend £30-40 on two cables to find out,so i thought i'd try a bit of diy.Now here's where the problem starts.

I bought some cable of a guy from ebay who rewired his house with some
Shielded cable for dedicated mains hi-fi super spur.It has 6mm2 conductors and is 13mm in diameter at £6.50 pm(i bought 3m) also it is a twisted design and sheilded.It's 4 core which allows you to double the Earth cabling(his words).

Now my problem is the cable has 4 cores,3 of which are black and are numbered 1,2,3 the other is the earth cable and in the middle is a thin white cable(drain wire?) and i have absolutly no idea how to wire this up to a plug or iec connector.The guy selling it says he made some power cables out of it so i presume it can be done,so any help would be welcomed as i don't want to do any damage to my speakers or start a fire.

Why didn't i spend a few extra quid on some belden:doh:

p.s. this is the cablr make-liycy JZ0.

Ali Tait
11-11-2009, 19:35
The thin cable in the middle I guess will just be a filler i.e. no wire inside it.I'd just use say 1 as live,2 as neutral and 3 as earth,or use the earth wire.The wire you don't use,perhaps join it to the shield at the iec plug,and just cut it off at the plug end.You may stuggle to get 6mm cable into the plug connector,but give it a go and see.Hope this helps.:)

kininigin
12-11-2009, 10:59
Thanks for the reply ali,i'll give your suggestion a go.

kininigin
13-11-2009, 16:00
Gave up and bought some belden with last nights poker winnings.

The other cable is just too thick to work with.

kininigin
13-11-2009, 18:26
I hope it's bloody worth it,i might of just aswell bought some pre-made cables.

Anyone with any experience with active speakers and mains cable?

Also with rca cables for actives? Im using mark grant i/c (£20 version at the moment)