PDA

View Full Version : Vandersteen Model 1C

Covenant
05-11-2009, 20:29
Why do I like these speakers so much? There isn't much to look at; A bit of wood top and bottom and four poles between with some fabric stretched over. Hardly earth shattering.
The money has been spent inside. A cast metal basket woofer in a transmission line port enclosure and a metal alloy damped tweeter is used. These are coupled to a first order crossover with great attention paid to ensure absolute phase integrity.
Their reputation for imaging is renowned but what I like more than anything is their ability to respond to better quality equipment. Every time I change something the Vandies show its ability.
The only trouble is knowing what I could get to better them without spending silly money.

jandl100
07-11-2009, 10:31
Yes, those Vandie 1C's are very nice speakers. I know 2 folks who have them and are very pleased. One tried to upgrade recently and was prepared to pay a lot more .... he's still got the Vandies though as he hasn't found anything that is more to his taste, and the larger Vandies he tried really needed a larger room than he has.

I like the sound a lot - the bass depth and control is phenomenal - and the 3D soundstaging can be superb, too, one of those setups was quite the best I have ever heard 3D-wise (until the owner 'upgraded' his amp and totally screwed the sound! :doh:).

Vandies are on my (quite extensive!) Want List for the next time I want to change speakers. :)

Covenant
07-11-2009, 15:28
I wish I could get the proper stands for them (Sound Anchors) which are essential. The British dealer wouldn't sell me a pair and the American manufacturer didn't respond to an e-mail. I have had to make a copy from timber. :(

jandl100
07-11-2009, 16:49
Stands - ah yes, they are said to be worthwhile.

Why not phone up Sound Anchor? - they can ignore or no get around to an email, but a phone call is a different matter!

Covenant
07-11-2009, 17:39
Nah, I think it wil cost a bomb to ship them over the pond. I might look into getting them fabricated out of square section steel tube. A lick of Hammerite and Bobs your Auntie.

jandl100
07-11-2009, 17:49
Having vaguely seen (but not closely examined) the stands, I think you are right. Should be easy to knock-off a copy - it ain't rocket science! :)

chris@panteg
13-01-2010, 23:54
They were great speaker's i wanted them for a long time ' also the DCM time windows were very nice too ' even Chris Frankland :eek: liked them '

hifinutt
14-01-2010, 19:36
yes there has been a pair knocking around for sale recently but i believe hey need very careful set up

Covenant
14-01-2010, 19:53
They need to be away from the wall a bit. Other than that I haven't had much problem.

Rare Bird
17-01-2010, 10:54
I wish I could get the proper stands for them (Sound Anchors) which are essential. The British dealer wouldn't sell me a pair and the American manufacturer didn't respond to an e-mail. I have had to make a copy from timber. :(

They should be easy enough to replicate if you have a chop saw & welding kit. as long as you have a single spike at the rear you should be able to do what the propar stand does..