PDA

View Full Version : Any idea what's wrong with my DAC

RochaCullen
05-11-2009, 09:51
Hi,

I've sent my Linn Numerik to two different repair shops, at much expense, for them to tell me nothing is wrong with it. The first was a local electronics repair place, and the second was a properly supported Linn repair place in belfast.

Plugged the thing in again last night and the same problem persists. I have it connected to my Mimic via 75ohm BNC to BNC which is brand spanking new.

The problem is the sound distorts at high frequency. The sound comes out fine at the lower end, but becomes a really harsh fuzz at the higher end.:confused:

Any help would be much appreciated. And don't tell me to buy a caiman :doh:, I'd like to fix this thing first.

Nathan

StanleyB
05-11-2009, 10:03
The receiver IC or the clock is most likely kaput. Did you have a violent thunderstorm in your neighbourhood just before the problem started?

RochaCullen
05-11-2009, 13:49
No, not that I am aware of. So if I try a different interconnect and the problem persists, then you would guess its the clock?

How come the engineer who looked at it never spotted this?

How is it possible to fry an interconnect?

Alex Nikitin
05-11-2009, 13:58
May be it is not the receiver, but the transmitter that is faulty? Have you tried the DAC with a different transport?

Alex

RochaCullen
05-11-2009, 14:13
That's what I thought might be the problem. Only problem is finding another source with a BNC output, or an interconnect with a BNC on one side and a normal bog standard connection that will go into the digital out of my DVD player. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Stratmangler
05-11-2009, 14:16
How is it possible to fry an interconnect?

By IC Stan means Integrated Circuit.

Chris:)

RochaCullen
05-11-2009, 14:17
Ah, right. Integrated Circuit. Well that's me stumped.

Looks like I need one of these to perform a test using a different source:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1594&C=SO&U=strat15

Spectral Morn
05-11-2009, 14:25
The Linn repair guy in Lyric Belfast is very good, in 20 + years I have never heard of anyone complaining about him....the shop sometimes but not the repair guy. If it was easy to find, or not so he would have found it.

I know that doesn't help but the problem must be with the transport. You can use a BNC to phono adapter or if you have a yellow video cable kicking about then get a rca to BNC adapter. This will give you a 75 ohm cable to go from your DVD to the dac.

Regards D S D L

RochaCullen
05-11-2009, 14:29
Hi Neil,

I wasn't giving out about the guy. He was very polite and had a good look at the dac. I am just confused about why it is still not working. Hence the post asking you guys for the possible reasons.

I do think the best option is to try another source. I was trying last night, but the bnc thingy defeated me.

My Mimik CD player, plays perfectly when connected straight to the AMP from its R and L outputs, perhaps its the digital out that is the problem.

Spectral Morn
05-11-2009, 14:35
Hi Neil,

I wasn't giving out about the guy. He was very polite and had a good look at the dac. I am just confused about why it is still not working. Hence the post asking you guys for the possible reasons.

I do think the best option is to try another source. I was trying last night, but the bnc thingy defeated me.

My Mimik CD player, plays perfectly when connected straight to the AMP from its R and L outputs, perhaps its the digital out that is the problem.

I suspect thats the case.

I used to be in the trade up until a year ago and I know how frustrating things can be when a problem can't be found or solved, both for the customer, repair guy and shop.

I recently helped a friend out with a similar problem...weird one. Transport and Dac together skipping(every so often)when used with other Transports and Dacs no problems at all.

Hope you get it sorted.

Regards D S D L

RochaCullen
05-11-2009, 14:49
Just checked with my local maplin and they have the BNC to phono adapter in stock, so I'll be off there tomorrow at lunch to pick one up.

RochaCullen
09-11-2009, 11:06
Well, I bought the BNC to phono adapter and it is the Numerik which is causing the problem. High end frequencies are churned out as a digitial distorted fuzz.

So I give up. Stan, I am going to have to bite the bullet and get myself a Caiman. Are you still offereing a discount to the AOS crew?

Nathan

StanleyB
09-11-2009, 11:10
Stan, I am going to have to bite the bullet and get myself a Caiman. Are you still offereing a discount to the AOS crew?

The discount only applies to the TC-7520.