PDA

View Full Version : Bargains on ebay?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

The Grand Wazoo
04-11-2009, 21:10
With a wooden sleeve too, not bad eh?

I paid twice that for my Mk II in the early 1990's, but a few years before that, I paid only £40 for a MkIII (just before Hi-Fi World 'broke the news' on them!).

Cotlake
04-11-2009, 21:11
Hmmm, I got sucked into the Troughline nonsense for a while and also paid silly money for one with a stereo decoder. I played with it for a long time but in the end concluded there was far too much hype about the Troughline, much of it generated by Noel Keywood of HFW.

I sold mine on and I'm very happy now to be using my relatively vintage Creek 3140 which does everything the Troughline never did. If you're into Troughline, £30 seems about right to me.

Spectral Morn
04-11-2009, 23:39
eBay attracts much flack, a lot of it justified, as being a sellers market. But occasionally it can work out well for the buyer. As an example, someone has found a bargain:

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=260497515023

I paid about five times the final bid for my Troughline. Doesn’t it make you want to spit?

Here’s hoping the new owner appreciates his good fortune.

Regards

The way I read the info on that listing someone won on the basis of a PC sniper program; not a lucky bid.

Hate bloody snipers. Nothing wrong in trying yourself, but using a PC program is cheating (sore looser typing here ;):lol::lol::lol:)

Sounds to me Greg that you got a badly aligned Troughline and decoder. Badly matched is not that good, but get them aligned or be lucky when buying the two as I was (bought from Retro Reproductions in Edinburgh) and IMHO/E the combination is magical....however the Japs are coming in a future write up for SOG...will it still be that the case that the Troughline is king ? Answer very soon...I promise....bloody Sansui not coming has buggered the schedule up.

I've been waiting now for 2 months for a Sansui tuner and I think now I have been feed a line about illness in the family etc. I spoke to a Police friend today and at the end of this week I will be passing all the details on to the police in this sellers area...my patience is over.

E-Bay is a very murky pond....don't let the 45 days expire...no matter how plausible the seller and their story is, file the claim and apologise later.

Regards D S D L

Barry
05-11-2009, 00:10
The way I read the info on that listing someone won on the basis of a PC sniper program; not a lucky bid.

Hate bloody snipers. Nothing wrong in trying yourself, but using a PC program is cheating (sore looser typing here ;):lol::lol::lol:)

Sounds to me Greg that you got a badly aligned Troughline and decoder. Badly matched is not that good, but get them aligned or be lucky when buying the two as I was (bought from Retro Reproductions in Edinburgh) and IMHO/E the combination is magical....however the Japs are coming in a future write up for SOG...will it still be that the case that the Troughline is king ? Answer very soon...I promise....bloody Sansui not coming has buggered the schedule up.

I've been waiting now for 2 months for a Sansui tuner and I think now I have been feed a line about illness in the family etc. I spoke to a Police friend today and at the end of this week I will be passing all the details on to the police in this sellers area...my patience is over.

E-Bay is a very murky pond....don't let the 45 days expire...no matter how plausible the seller and their story is, file the claim and apologise later.

Regards D S D L

How can you tell Neil? The winning bid is timed as being placed 17 seconds before the deadline, whereas the out-bidded bid was placed 6 seconds before the end. Mind you I have never really understood the bid record. When I 'snipe' (and I'm still not sure if it is entirely ethical), I place my bid 3-5 seconds before the end.

Anyway, £32 for a Troughline is an utter snip.

Hope you have success with your claim Neil. Have you have had any help from eBay themselves? I suppose now they have their commission, they are probably not interested.

Regards

The Grand Wazoo
05-11-2009, 00:19
Surely it doesn't matter whether you're using software or not. If you tell the software that your highest bid is £31 it can't beat a bid of £32.

You still have to make a winning bid - late or not.
Or do I misunderstand it completely?

Serious bidders at real auctions go in hard, late in the game too. You assess what the thing's worth to you & bid accordingly, never allowing yourself to be fooled into exceeding that limit.

Spectral Morn
05-11-2009, 00:22
How can you tell Neil? The winning bid is timed as being placed 17 seconds before the deadline, whereas the out-bidded bid was placed 6 seconds before the end. Mind you I have never really understood the bid record. When I 'snipe' (and I'm still not sure if it is entirely ethical), I place my bid 3-5 seconds before the end.

Anyway, £31 for a Troughline is an utter snip.

Hope you have success with your claim Neil. Have you have had any help from eBay themselves? I suppose now they have their commission, they are probably not interested.

Regards

Not interested. Over the 45 days tough. They did give me some details on the guy. I have his home telephone number and a mobile now. I want to be wrong about this being a con, but I have been promised the tuner now for 3 weeks. I was to ring when I got it I allowed a week (no tuner)and rang the mobile 4 times now and only get the answer machine. I left a message at his home number this morning no call all day.

I will try again tomorrow.

This dates back to just before I went on holiday.

Edit...I have been able to report it as a possible fraudulent listing...only thing I seem to be able to do after 45 days (E-Bay automation very restrictive) We shall see what they have to say.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
05-11-2009, 00:24
Surely it doesn't matter whether you're using software or not. If you tell the software that your highest bid is £31 it can't beat a bid of £32.

You still have to make a winning bid - late or not.
Or do I misunderstand it completely?

Serious bidders at real auctions go in hard, late in the game too. You assess what the thing's worth to you & bid accordingly, never allowing yourself to be fooled into exceeding that limit.

That would be the way I would do it, but as my max these days is a few quid...I loose lots of times.

Regards D S D L

Cotlake
05-11-2009, 21:25
Sounds to me Greg that you got a badly aligned Troughline and decoder.

No, not the case. The Troughline was at the time recently professionally serviced and aligned. I did some consultation with the decoder maker and made some recommended modifications which brought improvement but basically it remained a poor performer in comparison to other stuff out there. It's probably about the poor signal sensitivity of the Troughline although I have a big aerial in a good reception area. Regardless, I had to concede that the Creek did a better job. Noel Keywood has a history of advocating tuners that don't always work well. He also rated the NAD 402 for ages which frankly, can't hold a candle to the Creek.

Regards,

Greg

Spectral Morn
05-11-2009, 22:20
No, not the case. The Troughline was at the time recently professionally serviced and aligned. I did some consultation with the decoder maker and made some recommended modifications which brought improvement but basically it remained a poor performer in comparison to other stuff out there. It's probably about the poor signal sensitivity of the Troughline although I have a big aerial in a good reception area. Regardless, I had to concede that the Creek did a better job. Noel Keywood has a history of advocating tuners that don't always work well. He also rated the NAD 402 for ages which frankly, can't hold a candle to the Creek.

Regards,

Greg

Creek tuners are very good.

Your right about the Trough-Line, it is a flawed gem in terms of performance, though not sound quality. To much signal it overloads to little and it is poor in noise levels and it can drift of station too (though normally that would be the case with a bad/poorly maintained one). However its sound quality is excellent if you can pamper it.

Having played with some Jap tuners recently, it is easy to fall to the allure of easier operation and a more solid tuning ability. But the question for me is does the Trough-Line hold its own sound wise...I use mine with an EAR FM decoder. I haven't answered my question yet.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
09-11-2009, 14:55
Not so cheap but these are brilliant speakers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acoustic-Energy-AE2-Series-II-in-Rosewood-AE2-Stands_W0QQitemZ270482274483QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers?h ash=item3ef9fff8b3

DSJR
09-11-2009, 16:30
VERY demanding little diva's these AE's. It's easy to get 'em wrong, but I agree they can sing if matched carefully..

Spectral Morn
11-11-2009, 12:12

Regards D S D L

Hi Guys

Update on this problem. No phone call from seller still, but I now have a refund in my account for the full amount and a few quid more for my hassle. I have sent an E-Mail reply and left 2 phone messages of thanks, but I am confused as to what happened...I hope he replies to my E-mail/phone calls as I hate a mystery.

Thank you Anthony EEVO1969

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
11-11-2009, 13:11
I hate E-Bay selling. I sucessfull sell lots of suff of value as i swap Hi-Fi gear (upto recently) like i change underkecks..Even though i try to describe the item down to the last detail i always have it in the back of my mind that someone is going to pull a fast one in some way & try claim there moneys back..Both Fleece Bay & the other half have a really really wierd way of sorting things out & often side for the wrong party.

Spectral Morn
11-11-2009, 13:30
I hate E-Bay selling. I sucessfull sell lots of suff of value as i swap Hi-Fi gear (upto recently) like i change underkecks..Even though i try to describe the item down to the last detail i always have it in the back of my mind that someone is going to pull a fast one in some way & try claim there moneys back..Both Fleece Bay & the other half have a really really wierd way of sorting things out & often side for the wrong party.

In my case E-Bay did not help at all. The threat of the Police brought me the refund (I think). I just don't understand why he could not phone or E-Mail me...anyway its over now.

Never again, though will I let the 45 days pass no matter how plausible the excuses are.

Regards D S D L

Barry
12-11-2009, 00:40
Hi Guys

Update on this problem. No phone call from seller still, but I now have a refund in my account for the full amount and a few quid more for my hassle. I have sent an E-Mail reply and left 2 phone messages of thanks, but I am confused as to what happened...I hope he replies to my E-mail/phone calls as I hate a mystery.

Thank you Anthony EEVO1969

Regards D S D L

Neil, Just take the money and run! Are you any nearer to resolving the situation with the Sony tuner?

Regards

Dave Cawley
12-11-2009, 08:45
Sony tuner?

Spectral Morn
12-11-2009, 10:11
Neil, Just take the money and run! Are you any nearer to resolving the situation with the Sony tuner?

Regards

Hi Barry

No the Sony tuner (5150) is a scrapper, stereo decoder stuffed. I don't want to discuss the seller here in the open.

Both these listings date from the same period and both went wrong, though for very different reasons. Both caused me a lot of grief and stress. One resolved...with a refund, one not (the one you ask about)..the price to try and resolve it would be to high, I value my skin to much to risk it over £21.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
18-11-2009, 13:28
Well i'm still gob smaked with the Hydraulic Refrence with fluid arm that went for 50 notes, if that seller goes thru with the sale he's nuts.

Haselsh1
19-11-2009, 09:06
I'm very wary of selling through ebay. Last year I sold a Pentax 67 camera to a guy in France who informed me that it had arrived smashed. I told him to return the camera to me for inspection and that I would then issue a refund. 24 hours later I got positive feedback...! I guess the bastard not only wanted the camera but his money back as well...!

Spectral Morn
19-11-2009, 09:46
I'm very wary of selling through ebay. Last year I sold a Pentax 67 camera to a guy in France who informed me that it had arrived smashed. I told him to return the camera to me for inspection and that I would then issue a refund. 24 hours later I got positive feedback...! I guess the bastard not only wanted the camera but his money back as well...!

That sort of thing does seem to happen, often, or at least there are enough stories floating around to seem to confirm that.

My biggest issue with E-bay is lack of communication when things go wrong. It seems that sellers just want to bury their heads and hope the problem goes away. All my recent problems have a lack of/or poor communications at there root. Everything could have been worked out had the sellers in question replied quickly to my messages/E-Mails and in one case my problems would not have even started if the seller had responded to my communication at the start.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
19-11-2009, 15:42
I've just sold an Lecie harddrive on E-Bay i bought to use with the hifi but marked the top before hand, was never plugged in at all so brand new really.The buyer says he fitted it to his pooter, formatted it, worked for a bit then started clicking continually, says he tried it on his laptops fine before connecting it back up.Day later says he's doing it again.

I contacted the original seller to me, he wasnt intrested just gave me a link to complete warranty..typical so i just forward the message to the buyer & that was that never heard a muff upto yet..Another trying it on me thinks.

Mike
20-11-2009, 08:42
I too, am rapidly going off selling via ebay. Take the Quad 606 I just sold...

End price: £370 + £30 Shipping to Austria.

paypal fee: £15.80
ebay Fees: £37.75

Total Deducted: £53.55

The money that ebay/paypal makes must be mind boggling! :mental:

And how helpful are they when things go wrong?... Hmmmm...

Spectral Morn
20-11-2009, 10:30
I too, am rapidly going off selling via ebay. Take the Quad 606 I just sold...

End price: £370 + £30 Shipping to Austria.

paypal fee: £15.80
ebay Fees: £37.75

Total Deducted: £53.55

The money that ebay/paypal makes must be mind boggling! :mental:

And how helpful are they when things go wrong?... Hmmmm...

Indeed.....useless.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
06-12-2009, 03:05
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MISSION-SPEAKERS-77_W0QQitemZ290374943772QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Audi oVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers?hash= item439bb2041c

DSJR
06-12-2009, 14:34
That seller's selling some MS Festivals and these may even be better, if not as hi-tec as the Missions, which may be good for spares if nothing else...

The "Woofdale" Diamond 8's would be good and cheap as well.

Haselsh1
06-12-2009, 18:39
On the subject of ebay's rip off fees and then Paypal's fees on top of that; I used to buy medium format camera equipment from the States and then sell it back to UK consumers in... you guessed it, the UK. It was a really easy way to make some money but when you consider that a good Carl Zeiss lens can cost up to a grand in the UK you can imagine how Tee'd off I was with the listing fee, the final value fee and then the Paypal fee. After a year or so I've got very wise to ebay and I no longer use them other than for purchases. I guess ebay is OK if you're selling items worth a couple of quid.

Rare Bird
06-12-2009, 23:24
GREED GREED GREED that's what they are

Rare Bird
07-12-2009, 00:39
That seller's selling some MS Festivals and these may even be better, if not as hi-tec as the Missions, which may be good for spares if nothing else...

The "Woofdale" Diamond 8's would be good and cheap as well.

I found that the original Mission models with the white baffleboards were great speakers, Mission had a long bad period in speaker design as most did but these new models are back to the fore..Thing about Mission is they give a hell of a lot for a small outlay.I used to own a Mission 776/777 pre power amp, that was an high end killer, like a prick i went & sold it cos i thought the grass was greener

Haselsh1
07-12-2009, 14:41
I used to love the early Mission 710's with the white baffleboard and also the early Mission 770's. Around 1982 I heard a Mission system using Crimson electronics in an active package and it still remains one of the best systems I have ever heard. The front end was my then Logic DM101.

Rare Bird
07-12-2009, 15:41
The front end was my then Logic DM101.

Aye one of my all time fav decks..The very last ones were best with the big central spring..

Rare Bird
10-12-2009, 04:03
Here all
These are brilliant amps..I've had all the Linx amps all were superb & awsome build, models were wired in either Van Den Hul or Audiopan wire depending.Last pair of those below went for a cheap £150.00 without pre-amp..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LINX-MONO-BLOCK-AMP-AND-CONTROLLER_W0QQitemZ270497054893QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?ha sh=item3efae180ad

Spectral Morn
10-12-2009, 10:29
Here all
These are brilliant amps..I've had all the Linx amps all were superb & awsome build, models were wired in either Van Den Hul or Audiopan wire depending.Last pair of those below went for a cheap £150.00 without pre-amp..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LINX-MONO-BLOCK-AMP-AND-CONTROLLER_W0QQitemZ270497054893QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?ha sh=item3efae180ad

These are very nice indeed. Once upon a time I worked in a place that sold these and Audioplan speakers, same distributor in the UK. Linx moved from New Zealand to the UK and did well for awhile....then it went wrong and they died. Real shame, nice designs and sounded excellent.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
10-12-2009, 12:02
These are very nice indeed. Once upon a time I worked in a place that sold these and Audioplan speakers, same distributor in the UK. Linx moved from New Zealand to the UK and did well for awhile....then it went wrong and they died. Real shame, nice designs and sounded excellent.

Regards D S D L

Yes the early ones were New Zealand built but hampered by costs..If i remember they moved to Canvey Island, Essex the same place as Inca Tech/Inca Design..I think that's right. Another set of brilliant power amps were the Inca Design 'ID25'/'ID50'/'ID75'..

Tarzan
10-12-2009, 13:05
Ahttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TECHNICS-SL120-WITH-700-TONEARM-AND-ISONOE-FEET_W0QQitemZ290366605140QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq200 91105?IMSfp=TL091105177001r10686 anybody got any thoughts on this?

Rare Bird
10-12-2009, 13:43
Ahttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TECHNICS-SL120-WITH-700-TONEARM-AND-ISONOE-FEET_W0QQitemZ290366605140QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq200 91105?IMSfp=TL091105177001r10686 anybody got any thoughts on this?

Yeh all the bidders were sniffing the same glu pot

:lol:

Kris
10-12-2009, 13:43
If only. The Holy Grail of cassette decks: Gold Nakamichi ZXL 1000 Limited Edition

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nakamichi-ZXL-1000-Limited-Edition-Tapedeck-in-Gold-TOP_W0QQitemZ200414949002QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKasset ten_MD_Decks?hash=item2ea9a96e8a

Spectral Morn
10-12-2009, 16:57
If only. The Holy Grail of cassette decks: Gold Nakamichi ZXL 1000 Limited Edition

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nakamichi-ZXL-1000-Limited-Edition-Tapedeck-in-Gold-TOP_W0QQitemZ200414949002QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKasset ten_MD_Decks?hash=item2ea9a96e8a

No..not really, Dragon or CR7e YES.

Surely its not worth that kind of money £6668 ? German sellers always seem to put a massive premium on their listed items....but thats ridiculous. You can get standard ones for a huge amount less.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAY-SEQUERRA-REFERENCE-FM-TUNER-WITH-OSCILLOSCOPE_W0QQitemZ300374620103QQcmdZViewItemQQ ptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Tuners?hash =item45efb8f7c7

Theres a DAY-SEQUERRA in the tuners section for starting bids from £2800, thats also crazy imho. And there was a Sony 7a tuner listed for buy it now £750...way to much imho. It went to bids, and as I forgot to bookmark it I don't know if it sold or not....any one know? Crazy thing is, there was a Sony 5130( which is a better tuner than the 7a) which sold for very little around the same time.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
10-12-2009, 17:10
Yeh Neil that CR7 you mentioned was the best Nak deck even tho it was cheaper than the Drags..

Spectral Morn
10-12-2009, 17:14
Yeh Neil that CR7 you mentioned was the best Nak deck even tho it was cheaper than the Drags..

I regret not buying one...I have a CR5e. Almost as good, but not quite.

Regards D S D L

Kris
10-12-2009, 17:17
£2,800 for a Day-Sequerra. I suppose they're as rare as hens teeth so Why not? A serious moneyed collecter will pay that no problem. Serious high end tuners can cost more than that new.

More of a bargain though is the Cello Palette http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cello-Palette-Stereo-Preamplifier-w-power-Supply_W0QQitemZ250545525895QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVin tage_Electronics_R2?hash=item3a55ad5487 If you want to risk buying it from a zero rated seller. I doubt it will be sold unless the new owner pays only when picks it up in person.

The last one on Ebay sold for £2,691.17 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CELLO-PALETTE-PREAMPLIFIER-MARK-LEVINSON-LEGENDARY_W0QQitemZ190338881631QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ LH_DefaultDomain_77?hash=item2c5114d85f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Marco
10-12-2009, 17:18
Hi Kris,

You have an urgent PM :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
10-12-2009, 17:23
£2,800 for a Day-Sequerra. I suppose they're as rare as hens teeth so Why not? A serious moneyed collecter will pay that no problem. Serious high end tuners can cost more than that new.

More of a bargain though is the Cello Palette http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cello-Palette-Stereo-Preamplifier-w-power-Supply_W0QQitemZ250545525895QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVin tage_Electronics_R2?hash=item3a55ad5487 If you want to risk buying it from a zero rated seller. I doubt it will be sold unless the new owner pays only when picks it up in person.

The last one on Ebay sold for £2,691.17 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CELLO-PALETTE-PREAMPLIFIER-MARK-LEVINSON-LEGENDARY_W0QQitemZ190338881631QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ LH_DefaultDomain_77?hash=item2c5114d85f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Only from Magnum Dynalab....does anyone else offer new high-end tuners.

Cello always struck me as being over priced....I could be wrong though.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
10-12-2009, 22:57
I regret not buying one...I have a CR5e. Almost as good, but not quite.

Regards D S D L

the biggest i had was the 'RX505', was nice, my mate had the 'CR7' at the time Not really anything in the sound between em but the CR7 was nicer to use..Switched to big Tandbergs after Nak..

Rare Bird
11-12-2009, 01:52
Here's an 'RX505' :)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/RX505Front.jpg

Themis
11-12-2009, 10:19
The best 2-head deck I've listened to was the LX-3. ;)

Rare Bird
11-12-2009, 14:54
Nackers :lol: were great sounding & beautiful facias, go round the back & under the lid thats a different story, the inside are untidy cheap looking jungles just like any cheapo Japanese company..shame really..Reason i switched to Tandberg was sound & all round build inside & out.

Rare Bird
11-12-2009, 15:19
These are to die for IMHO, i was a fool selling my old Tandberg clobber :( just look at that blue display/VU's...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tandberg-TR2075-receiver_W0QQitemZ150394323684QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash =item23043342e4

Spectral Morn
11-12-2009, 15:44
These are to die for IMHO, i was a fool selling my old Tandberg clobber :( just look at that blue display/VU's...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tandberg-TR2075-receiver_W0QQitemZ150394323684QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash =item23043342e4

Looks very nice indeed. How do they sound Andre?

Regards D S D L

Themis
11-12-2009, 17:00
Nackers :lol: were great sounding & beautiful facias, blah blah blah.
I read what I want... :lol:

DSJR
11-12-2009, 18:10
I'm now worried that Nak spares for well known later models have run out.

The LX3 was a good machine, but as with the 5 and 700/1000 models of this period, the circuits and wiring looms were incredibly complex and trouble prone. The later, simpler construction (Ok, I know, IC's instead), did make for greater reliability.

My favourite oldie Nak was the 682-ZX and I wish I hadn't sold mine..

Rare Bird
11-12-2009, 20:09
Looks very nice indeed. How do they sound Andre?

Regards D S D L

I had the TR2025' Was larvley warmish but not as wooley warm as the jap recievers..If you open one up you notice straight away that the electronic components are made in Europe not Japan..

honestly how do naks stand a chance with these looks

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/Tandy.jpg

Spectral Morn
11-12-2009, 22:36
I had the TR2025' Was larvley warmish but not as wooley warm as the jap recievers..If you open one up you notice straight away that the electronic components are made in Europe not Japan..

honestly how do naks stand a chance with these looks

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/Tandy.jpg

That is a very nice looking tape player. Tandburg are a relatively new company to me. Only since joining AOS that I have any knowledge of them.

Maybe someday I will see some in the flesh and get a listen.

Regards D S D L

Themis
11-12-2009, 22:54
Yes the 910/911 had very good sound, although not a transport as good as the Nakas, if I recall properly.
I always liked tapes recorded on the Tandbergs WITHOUT Dolby : very neat. ;)

Rare Bird
12-12-2009, 00:25
Yes the 910/911 had very good sound, although not a transport as good as the Nakas, if I recall properly.

No good having a great transport when the machine has an habbit of breaking down on yer :D

Believe me Naks aint got a brilliant track record for reliability ;) So use em sparingly

Rare Bird
12-12-2009, 00:27
That is a very nice looking tape player. Tandburg are a relatively new company to me. Only since joining AOS that I have any knowledge of them.

Maybe someday I will see some in the flesh and get a listen.

Regards D S D L

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/TCD3004.jpg

Big tandies don't half give me the horn.. ;)

Themis
12-12-2009, 09:45
Believe me Naks aint got a brilliant track record for reliability ;) So use em sparingly
I have been lucky, so far. ;)

Rare Bird
12-12-2009, 10:19
I have been lucky, so far. ;)

hope so be a shame...

Rare Bird
13-12-2009, 00:46
Quick you nutters in London.

It's technically a 'Nebula' with tone controls..If i remember they are defeatable tho.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370304894785&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Rare Bird
13-12-2009, 00:50
Last of the proper Exposures

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exposure-X-integrated-amplifier-in-original-box_W0QQitemZ220521002230QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Aud ioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=item 33581374f6

Kris
13-12-2009, 13:06
Studer D-730 CD player (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110468985259)

It started at 99p, but with 8 days to go it's now at £550.00

Wonder what the end price will be?

Rare Bird
13-12-2009, 16:25
Studer D-730 CD player (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110468985259)

It started at 99p, but with 8 days to go it's now at £550.00

Wonder what the end price will be?

Looks like the 'A' version, these were un reliable..

DSJR
13-12-2009, 19:01
A very cheap yet so capable amp -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NAKAMICHI-HIFI-AMPLIFIER-2-NICE-CLASSIC-AMP-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ140364751566QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash= item20ae6422ce

Tha Amp 1 and 2 really were good and the "2" was far more involving straight off than an 8000A, which need work with cables etc to get a reasonable sound that even began to compare IMO...

Barry
13-12-2009, 23:02
No good having a great transport when the machine has an habbit of breaking down on yer :D

I've used two for over twenty years without problems and just one service.

Rare Bird
13-12-2009, 23:15
I've used two for over twenty years without problems and just one service.

Once every year? :lol:

What models

Barry
13-12-2009, 23:21
Once every year? :lol:

What models

BX-2 and BX-125, not the best machines in the world, but good enough for making tapes for the car The 'service' was to have the bias optimised for TDK MA metal tape which I use for archiving.

Regards

Kris
15-12-2009, 12:44
Well, I just bought the bargain of the year. A band new, unopened Sony DAT recorder/player for £6.99 including postage :ner:

This one's a bit different though. It's a Sony DAT SCSI drive. Come the new year I'll hook it up to my PC and audio enable it.

Talking of DATs on Ebay. Crazy prices in general when you think that when I bought mine new they cost me nigh on £1,000 each. And I have three . . .

Rare Bird
15-12-2009, 12:57
Well, I just bought the bargain of the year. A band new, unopened Sony DAT recorder/player for £6.99 including postage :ner:

This one's a bit different though. It's a Sony DAT SCSI drive. Come the new year I'll hook it up to my PC and audio enable it.

Talking of DATs on Ebay. Crazy prices in general when you think that when I bought mine new they cost me nigh on £1,000 each. And I have three . . .

:worthless:

Kris
15-12-2009, 14:42
Ok, ok, I've attached a pic. I'll post a whole thread about it when I get it and hook it up to my PC. (can't wait, I'm really excited!)

As for my other Dat decks, well, I didn't get them off ebay, so it would be off topic if I posted pics of them here :ner:

Rare Bird
16-12-2009, 05:01
Not cheap but a brilliant Pre amp

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PINK-TRIANGLE-PIP-PRE-AMPLIFIER-EARLY-80s_W0QQitemZ160386921313QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Aud ioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=item 2557ce3361

Kris
21-12-2009, 19:24
Well, that was interesting. The ex-BBC Studer D-730 broadcast CD player sold for £1,030.00

Too much for a well used workhorse me thinks.

Rare Bird
24-12-2009, 13:53
This might go cheap ending crimbo day.
These are worth about 300 quid..Can be modded to near enough Naim '250' status, stick some regulation in it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120506828384&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

DSJR
24-12-2009, 23:18
They're a bit hard hitting (not harsh toned) and an externally mint one bought by a pal of mine had caps that had leaked all over the place. It sounded swell by all accounts once re-capped and re-setup voltage wise.

Those old bolt-up jobbies don't sound like "Naims" at all, the odd order distortion and crossover artifacts being seemingly different in character. The old NAP 250 could almost pass as a valve amp it's so sweet toned when working right..

Rare Bird
25-12-2009, 01:14
Those old bolt-up jobbies don't sound like "Naims" at all, the odd order distortion and crossover artifacts being seemingly different in character. The old NAP 250 could almost pass as a valve amp it's so sweet toned when working right..

Don't like em as a rule but i used to own quite a few Naim's..I did like my Bolt down 160, 32 & SNAPS but never really appreciated em..Something about the bolt downs..I still have a little '110' power amp in the back room somewhere aswell as a 'Nait 1' intergrated i'm posotive i have, had a '42' with the '110' but i remember my old mate pestering me for the '42' so i let it go..I always thought the 'Nait' was the diamond! Owt with Naim plasterd across it certainly holds a good price. I was shocked how much an original 'nait' sells for on the bay.

DSJR
25-12-2009, 21:32
The 110 was a scrappy little terrier of an amp, high on excitement, but this was caused by loads of odd order and crossover distortion as I recall - not a patch on a Nait 1 let alone 135's (done the comparison many times with many samples of each). I'm sure an Avondale makeover would transform it though... there's still something of a "greyness" to the sound of most CB style amps though, even when re-capped IMO.

I remember a mate with a bolt-up 250 'Brik tri-amp system sending his amps back for fettling (they all drift off after a few years). Julian himself did the setting up and we went to Salisbury to collect them.

Julian compared each of Richard's 250's to the CB version and it was most striking that Naim had traded musicality, space and "ease" for this rhythmic, hard-toned "slam" of the CB range. I didn't much care for it then and I certainly don't like it now, although their amps post 180 introduction did seem to calm down a little - could be better output trannies as I think they were changed around this time...

Rare Bird
26-12-2009, 00:42
This might go cheap ending crimbo day.
These are worth about 300 quid..Can be modded to near enough Naim '250' status, stick some regulation in it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120506828384&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Went for £180.00, well cheap.

Rare Bird
04-01-2010, 08:30
Diesis 'M25' cheap enough, i used to like Diesis especially the 'Solitaire', Stan Curtis used to give those good reviews..As you Know Diesis were pre Ruark Loudspeakers..

I'm not sure, i can't remember if these used Richard Allan Bass units.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-Diesis-Speakers-with-stands_W0QQitemZ220533926571QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers?h ash=item3358d8aaab

hifi_dave
04-01-2010, 11:14
I did the first 'review' of a Diesis speaker for Hi-Fi for Pleasure I believe. They were a bit 'home made' but had a lively sound. Wouldn't take a lot of power though.

Alex_UK
04-01-2010, 21:54
SP10 and Technics plinth looks like it will go for peanuts...

SP10 ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160391605611&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1182)

(A whole farm of peanuts, that is!)

Dave Cawley
05-01-2010, 10:11
Hi Alex

It will go for a mere £1,200 as the arm is not original and it has not been serviced!

Regards

Dave

Alex_UK
05-01-2010, 16:03
Oh, in that case Dave I won't bother then, if it's only a cheapo one! ;)

(Nice to see you back posting, btw, hope you had a good Christmas & New Year)

Rare Bird
06-01-2010, 08:17
One of the best & most sexy vintage tube amps eva

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PYE-HF25-VALVE-TUBE-AMPLIFIER-PRE-GEC-KT66-ECC33-RARE_W0QQitemZ180452833576QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Au dioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=ite m2a03d3b928

Rare Bird
06-01-2010, 08:23
Complete with rats nest:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Croft-Series-4S-Valve-tube-power-amplifier-GEC-kt88_W0QQitemZ170428496163QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Au dioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=ite m27ae547923

Rare Bird
06-01-2010, 09:21
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mordaunt-Short-MS700-with-Decca-Kelly-Ribbon-Tweeters_W0QQitemZ300382958138QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers ?hash=item45f038323a

hifi_dave
06-01-2010, 13:42
Complete with rats nest:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Croft-Series-4S-Valve-tube-power-amplifier-GEC-kt88_W0QQitemZ170428496163QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Au dioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=ite m27ae547923

When you make an amp with so many components hard wired together, it cannot be as neat as when a PCB is employed but that is a price to pay for superior sound quality.

Second point to make is, that Series 4 appears to have been 'bodged' to within an inch of it's life. Glenn's wiring is extremely neat and tidy with right angle bends and straight wire. Also note the various colours which shouldn't be there. I would say that amp has had a lot of 'work' done on it - it's not original...:eek:

Barry
08-01-2010, 17:47
I was going to bid for these, but they went for a silly amount.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160390677313&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

A boxed, unused and thus mint pair went about 6 months ago for £400.

Regards

Kris
11-01-2010, 19:02
BT Mains conditioning unit 1 day 15 hours left, still at starting price of £9.99

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130357513897

Rare Bird
23-01-2010, 03:49
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Captain-Marryat-Original-1974-LP_W0QQitemZ120521498421QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Reco rds?hash=item1c0fa41f35

Alex_UK
23-01-2010, 07:34
HOW MUCH! (and there's even a bidder already!) So, is this really a "bargain" Andre, and why is it worth so much?

Alex_UK
23-01-2010, 07:44
If you fancy blowing an even larger wad of cash, but with 100% going to Oxfam for the Haiti appeal, then try this link (http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Oxfam-Shop__W0QQ_armrsZ1)

At the moment, DJ Shadow's Technics SL-1200MK2 is going for a very reasonable £310 - but the Damon Albarn song at nearly £4.4k may be less of a bargain...

Rare Bird
23-01-2010, 13:11
HOW MUCH! (and there's even a bidder already!) So, is this really a "bargain" Andre, and why is it worth so much?

It's a privately-pressed LP.The 250 copies pressed were sold at gigs,but a lot of those pressing were to family & friends..The last ones that surfaced on eBay two year ago went for approx £3000 each.
Salvation for me is in the form of the CD, that has was released last year, i've only just, last week been able to source a supplier & mine should be here Monday fingers crossed althought it was a quite expensive CD tbh, but well worth it..

http://www.anazitisirecords.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1765&osCsid=87242464a2.?ref=Yapma.net

Rare Bird
26-01-2010, 11:31
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Captain-Marryat-Original-1974-LP_W0QQitemZ120521498421QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Reco rds?hash=item1c0fa41f35

Still at a grand

Zls5zV_bdu0

Barry
26-01-2010, 20:52
Still at a grand

Zls5zV_bdu0

What £1000 for that bunch of crackly, distorted, self-indulgent and pretentious twaddle? Still, I have spent a worse five minutes of my life.

Regards

Rare Bird
27-01-2010, 00:29
:eek:

Joe
27-01-2010, 12:41
What £1000 for that bunch of crackly, distorted, self-indulgent and pretentious twaddle? Still, I have spent a worse five minutes of my life.

Regards

'I've had a wonderful evening. But this wasn't it'. Groucho Marx.

Rare Bird
27-01-2010, 13:40

Regards

self-indulgent and pretentious twaddle cos you probably like most the commercial prog is what people know.

REM
27-01-2010, 16:18
self-indulgent and pretentious twaddle cos you probably like most the commercial prog is what people know.

Come on, we've all heard better pub bands than that lot, so what's the big attraction of the lp, is it just because some loony collector 'had' to have it or is there some connection with another band, or what?

Rare Bird
27-01-2010, 16:42
Look dudes each to their own you don't like thats your preference, prog has a massive collectors base simple as that.Ive explained why it's rare infact i was wrong it's more 150-200 copies exist according to the CD liner notes.But don't worry

Ali Tait
27-01-2010, 17:05
Yeah stop picking on Andre! If that's what he likes,then that's what he likes.YOU don't have to like it,just leave him alone to like it!! :ner:

Rare Bird
27-01-2010, 17:08
Yeh geeower yer bullying Kuntz

:lol:

Dave Cawley
27-01-2010, 17:14
Captain Marryat Oh, that takes me back to the earlier times of the Electric Prunes.

Dave

Barry
27-01-2010, 18:56
Captain Marryat Oh, that takes me back to the earlier times of the Electric Prunes.

Dave

Now those I did like, although not enough to keep my copy of 'I Had Too Much to Dream Last Night'.

Regards.

REM
28-01-2010, 18:08
Look dudes each to their own you don't like thats your preference, prog has a massive collectors base simple as that.Ive explained why it's rare infact i was wrong it's more 150-200 copies exist according to the CD liner notes.But don't worry

Right, that's what I was getting at, it's only going for that sort of money because of bloody collectors who don't really give a twopenny crap about weather the music is any good or not just that something is 'rare' therefore collectible, so up goes the price, bonkers:mental:.
If Andre wants to listen to it fair 'nuff, no cunning stuntery was intended on my part regarding his musical tastes but once 'collectors' get involved it just buggers things up for those of us that want to get hold of the records to actually listen to them, as opposed to just collect them, like stamps or beer mats.
I've been looking for the first Quintessence lp for ages but whenever they come up on ebay they're always described as VG (collector speak for half shagged) and end up going for 50/80 quid, FFS.
Talking of Cunning Stunts, even that goes for £50 these days and it's crap:doh:.

Beechwoods
28-01-2010, 18:21
Talking of Cunning Stunts, even that goes for £50 these days and it's crap:doh:.

Good cover though.

Rare Bird
28-01-2010, 18:43
Right, that's what I was getting at, it's only going for that sort of money because of bloody collectors who don't really give a twopenny crap about weather the music is any good or not just that something is 'rare' therefore collectible, so up goes the price, bonkers:mental:.
If Andre wants to listen to it fair 'nuff, no cunning stuntery was intended on my part regarding his musical tastes but once 'collectors' get involved it just buggers things up for those of us that want to get hold of the records to actually listen to them, as opposed to just collect them, like stamps or beer mats.
I've been looking for the first Quintessence lp for ages but whenever they come up on ebay they're always described as VG (collector speak for half shagged) and end up going for 50/80 quid, FFS.

Pretty much the reason i junked Vinyl, as i listern to obscure prog you can on most occassions pay like 2 weeks wages for an LP that Record Collector pricing say it's worth, finding a mint 1st issue is a no no regardless of price. They destroyed my hobby top & bottom.

I can cope with collecting the titles on CD but the whole nostalgia & enjoyment i used to get has all gone, absolutly no way can i go back to vinyl.

Rare Bird
28-01-2010, 19:11
Cunning stunts as in Caravan! it's worth a fiver at the most i say

Beechwoods
28-01-2010, 19:13
:whistle: ;)

The Grand Wazoo
28-01-2010, 19:21
Paid a tenner for mine a couple of months ago

Kris
28-01-2010, 20:25
they're always described as VG (collector speak for half shagged)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Quote of the month that . . .:lol:

REM
29-01-2010, 08:10
Paid a tenner for mine a couple of months ago

Got yerself a bargain there at least according to POPSIKE (http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=cunning+stunts+caravan&x=21&y=6).
Mind you I wouldn't give 10p for it, I said above it was crap, wrong word really, boringly predicable, derivative, noodley doodley drivel is nearer the mark. I bought the thing on its' release, it was the last prog album I bought! Hope you enjoy it Chris;)

Rare Bird
30-01-2010, 15:24
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stunning-Akai-GX-600DB-Reel-to-Reel-Tape-Deck-Serviced_W0QQitemZ280457925227QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_Collectables_RadioTelevision_Telephony_SM?hash=i tem414c98526b

Themis
30-01-2010, 23:04
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stunning-Akai-GX-600DB-Reel-to-Reel-Tape-Deck-Serviced_W0QQitemZ280457925227QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_Collectables_RadioTelevision_Telephony_SM?hash=i tem414c98526b

Vade retro satanas !

Rare Bird
31-01-2010, 02:02
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Excellent-CJ-Walker-55-Hi-Fi-Turntable-RARE_W0QQitemZ270522054119QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Au dioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables?hash=ite m3efc5ef5e7

Great little buget decks.. Four point suspension (which is all open frame wooden construction),you can fit extra longer than norm arms on this deck, tufnol platter, doddle to set up..Walker was good , i think he went to design the 'Chester' loudspeaker for castle acoustics if i remember..'CJ55' Sounds a bit like a Manticore 'Mantra'..

The Grand Wazoo
31-01-2010, 10:12
I remember this one Andre, and also the wooden biscuit tin shaped one too.

Rare Bird
31-01-2010, 13:51
I remember this one Andre, and also the wooden biscuit tin shaped one too.

Don't forget the 'CJ58' that was plain horrible & yes the 'CJ61' which was even more horrible biscuit tin, simular to the Systemdek'II'..Good old dayz.

Marco
31-01-2010, 16:45
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Excellent-CJ-Walker-55-Hi-Fi-Turntable-RARE_W0QQitemZ270522054119QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Au dioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables?hash=ite m3efc5ef5e7

Great little buget decks.. Four point suspension (which is all open frame wooden construction),you can fit extra longer than norm arms on this deck, tufnol platter, doddle to set up..Walker was good , i think he went to design the 'Chester' loudspeaker for castle acoustics if i remember..'CJ55' Sounds a bit like a Manticore 'Mantra'..

I completely agree - superb little deck, which would piss all over yer Rega P2/3s and entry-level Pro-Jects!

The 'Linn' LVV arm fitted was also made by Jelco, and thus was somewhat better than fanboys made out, who were at the time brainwashed into believing that 'straight' tonearms with fixed headshells (shite like the Akito) were automatically better, much like Rega fanboys were when the superb Lustre-designed R200 was replaced with the all-new 'improved', designed by Rega, RB250 (haha!)

The truth on both occasions was that was far from the case... ;)

Yup, anyone looking to get into vinyl on a budget should snap up this little classic CJ Walker tout-suite. It has 'proper' written all over it! :cool:

Marco.

Rare Bird
31-01-2010, 17:08
Speak of the devil:

Manticore 'Mantra' Looks like the original Mission arm fitted, like a suspended Rega but don't sound as poor..Plinths were veneered at Castle Acoustics as were ATC speekas...I bought one of these new when they came out, i loved the mega bouncy suspension on em.The oddest thing was my Zerostat gun used to switch the deck off :scratch: Looks like a late-ish ones..there was a mega bearing available for this deck aswell..If anthing was a let down it was the surplus Logic lids.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Manticore-Mantra-Turntable-Hi-Fi-VGC-Glass-Platter_W0QQitemZ220545331813QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables?hash= item335986b265

DSJR
31-01-2010, 17:26
Colin Walker was around in the very early Ariston days and could tell a tale or three about the goings on with Hamish Robertson and Linn all but stealing the designs, themselves a blue-printed Td150..

I got to know Colin in 1975 when he was marketing the original Fons deck, also designed by hamish I believe. It's main fault was a weak motor and hideously resonant one piece platter which rang like a bell. The first ones came with wooly felt mats and the ones everyone remembers had the stuck-on rubber rings and printed strobe.

The arm marketed by Manticore was the "Musician" IIRC and it was made by Helius I think, as was the arm Heybrook had made for them. The manta deck was more Linn-like than the Axis and basik and sounded very good with Rega arms (maybe it was the fibre arm board perhaps).

There were some great mid-priced decks out there all but ignored by the Rega crowd. the Systemdek IIX 900, AR Legend (with sorted main bearing), the later Heybrook TT2 with cast sub-chassis which lacked the boingy bass of the mk1 version and the Little Pink Thing (if looked after as they were a bit frail in places). I had all of these through my hands and respected them all.

Marco, the LVV was a bit variable and didn't take to user abuse al all. Linn replaced the few clunker samples we had and I thought the arm very musical, covering its tracks very well. This arm NEEDED its flexible headshell (and resonated better with it by the way) and sounded better with the little rubber gland left in place. Fitting a solid shell sans washer and it was worse. They fetch stupid money on ebay now - well over £100 and I think anyone paying this much for one must be mad :lol:

The Basik Plus is my favourite of all the Linn (Jelco) Basik arms, except that the counterweight decoupling rubber all but liquifies after a decade or so, making the counterweight spinn freely on the rear stub, when it should have been a firm fit.

Don't get me started on the Akito, let alone the early Ekos :( :steam: if the Ittok LVIII was the same as an early Ekos, why did it sound better at the time than the vastly more expensive replacement?

Barry
31-01-2010, 17:55

Vade retro satanas !

Is it that tempting Dimitri? ;)

Regards

Rare Bird
31-01-2010, 17:58
Your right Dave the Fons 'CQ30' was Hamish..If you look at the Ariston 'RD11E' & Fons you can see the simularity..I think a lot know what i think about Linn, put it this way my old late version Logic 'DM101' with the additional spring pissed on it from great heights...O the Linn 'Axis' was a better listern than the 'LP12' anyday..well untill the 'Axis' PSU broke down anyway :lol:

I didnt like the Manticore arms prefered the Logic 'Datum S'..

The Pink Triangle 'LPT' was a great deck, i had the 'LPT' with built in 'GTO' Power supply (Think it was the 'Export' this was also used in, not positive), i loved it even thought it was a simple design..The most worrying thing was the Moth deck i had at the sametime sounded just as good!All these decks were great stuff even if the proper engineering of say the Garrard '301'/'401', Thorens 'TD124' etc etc were all gone.

Didnt Helius make the QED arm for there R232 turntable?

Rare Bird
31-01-2010, 18:09
Be Quick, Not a black un but you can't have everything

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Myst-TMA3-integrated-Hi-Fi-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ190367161011QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?has h=item2c52c45ab3

Rare Bird
31-01-2010, 18:13
Don't like this seller.

The 'C200' is missing from the side cheeks, but just single cheeks were at one time available..If you must have a 'C200' theres two on the flea bay now..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/a-r-cambridge-sa200-100-watts-per-channel-power-amp_W0QQitemZ280450453870QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Aud ioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=item 414c26516e

Themis
31-01-2010, 18:31
Is it that tempting Dimitri? ;)

Regards
Oh yes !!! :stalks:

Marco
31-01-2010, 18:44
Hi Dave,

Marco, the LVV was a bit variable and didn't take to user abuse al all. Linn replaced the few clunker samples we had and I thought the arm very musical, covering its tracks very well. This arm NEEDED its flexible headshell (and resonated better with it by the way) and sounded better with the little rubber gland left in place. Fitting a solid shell sans washer and it was worse. They fetch stupid money on ebay now - well over £100 and I think anyone paying this much for one must be mad

The Basik Plus is my favourite of all the Linn (Jelco) Basik arms, except that the counterweight decoupling rubber all but liquifies after a decade or so, making the counterweight spinn freely on the rear stub, when it should have been a firm fit.

Yep, the Basic Plus was better still (in some ways). I'd definitely use either though, providing they were in full working order, before I would an RB250 or 300 - those two are amongst the most overrated arms on the planet!

I guess the reason that I got such good results with the LVV was because (even then) I was using it with a DL-103 (through a battery operated Lentek head amp) in an AT MG-10 magnesium headshell, which suited the LVV down to the ground, and indeed the LVV was almost idential to Denon's own tonearms of the time, so it was a match made in heaven in my (then) system of Ariston RD11S (with Moth 'Flutterbuster' PSU)/Nakamichi BX-125E/Sondex S230 integrated amp/Misson 700, with VDH cables throughout.

Nice wee system that, around 1983... Not bad for an 18-year old in the bedroom of his parents house! :)

I also got good results with a Linn Trak (an underrated Linn MC cart, IMO) on the LVV, which I used for quite a while before I later 'upgraded' to an LP12/Valhalla/Ittok/Karma. The arm and cartridge were definitely an upgrade, but the T/T wasn't! ;)

Marco.

Jonboy
31-01-2010, 18:54
I've got a Ariston RD110 special edition with corythuim plinth with a 3009 fitted, has anyone had or seen one of these before?
I'm currently using a AR legend fitted with a Linn Basik LVX and Goldring 1010 which sounds better than my Grado Gold:scratch:

Rare Bird
31-01-2010, 18:59
I've got a Ariston RD110 special edition with corythuim plinth with a 3009 fitted, has anyone had or seen one of these before?

Yes I used to have one, infact i still have a spare sub platter for it under the bed. I'll dig it out

Rare Bird
31-01-2010, 19:28

Vade retro satanas !

Nice in a Japanese kinda way ;)

Notice the Pinch Roller is situated above the Capstan

DSJR
31-01-2010, 22:28
Hi Dave,

Yep, the Basic Plus was better still (in some ways). I'd definitely use either though, providing they were in full working order, before I would an RB250 or 300 - those two are amongst the most overrated arms on the planet!

I guess the reason that I got such good results with the LVV was because (even then) I was using it with a DL-103 (through a battery operated Lentek head amp) in an AT MG-10 magnesium headshell, which suited the LVV down to the ground, and indeed the LVV was almost idential to Denon's own tonearms of the time, so it was a match made in heaven in my (then) system of Ariston RD11S (with Moth 'Flutterbuster' PSU)/Nakamichi BX-125E/Sondex S230 integrated amp/Misson 700, with VDH cables throughout.

Nice wee system that, around 1983... Not bad for an 18-year old in the bedroom of his parents house! :)

I also got good results with a Linn Trak (an underrated Linn MC cart, IMO) on the LVV, which I used for quite a while before I later 'upgraded' to an LP12/Valhalla/Ittok/Karma. The arm and cartridge were definitely an upgrade, but the T/T wasn't! ;)

Marco.

You should see how much worse the LVV behaved with a "decent" headshell... the arm and bearings weren't up to it IMO (and Linns too)..

Trak? MisTrak more like. Bloody little terrier that failed the Asak quality control (and, IIRC lacked the glue added to the Asak innards to control resonance) and mistracked badly on anything it didn't want you to listen to...

Sorry mate, you may have fond memories of such a wild concoction, but you'd wince if you tried it now - I promise you :D

Marco
31-01-2010, 23:33
Hi Dave,

You should see how much worse the LVV behaved with a "decent" headshell... the arm and bearings weren't up to it IMO (and Linns too)..

Not in my experience, mate... Remember we've had discussions like this before about M3Ds, Stantons and such like, and in the end you've come round to my way of thinking ;)

Honestly, the LVV I used in the RD11S sounded fantastic with a high quality Audio Technica magnesium headshell on it and the DL-103. Like I said, check out some of Denon's own tonearms from that era (made purposely to suit the 103) and you'll notice a remarkable similarity in their respective designs....

Linn LVV:

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/3103/linnlvv.jpg (http://img130.imageshack.us/i/linnlvv.jpg/)

Denon DA-309:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3328/denon20da3092.jpg (http://img687.imageshack.us/i/denon20da3092.jpg/)

See what I mean?

I've no idea how the LVV worked with other, more 'normal' cartidges though, as I only ever used it with the 103 and Trak....

Trak? MisTrak more like. Bloody little terrier that failed the Asak quality control (and, IIRC lacked the glue added to the Asak innards to control resonance) and mistracked badly on anything it didn't want you to listen to...

Again - not in my experience. I used one happily (along with the 103) for about a year and a half before getting the LP12/Ittok/Karma combo. The Trak worked very well in the LVV. It absolutely loved all the 80s stuff I used to play at the time.

Trust me, if it sounded like you suggest I wouldn't have had it for that long!

Sorry mate, you may have fond memories of such a wild concoction, but you'd wince if you tried it now - I promise you

Well, it certainly wouldn't be as good as what I'm using now, but I doubt it'd make me wince. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this :)

Where we do definitely agree, though, is here:

Marco, the LVV was a bit variable and didn't take to user abuse al all. Linn replaced the few clunker samples we had and I thought the arm very musical...

It's *precisely* that addictive musicality/tone which I feel is sadly lacking in many of today's tonearms (cartridges, too), where the sonic balance is voiced to be more incisive, 'mechanical' and rather clinical sounding. We've definitely lost some magic along the way in our quest for 'accuracy' with hi-fi equipment these days.

Thank God for the Jelco SA-750, though, as it's got that very musicality/tone in spades, reproduced by equipment from the good old days we both love, which is why I adore it so much. It's got 'soul', man!

Marco.

DSJR
01-02-2010, 08:33
The LVV was based on the ADC arms and the bearing block, if not the pillar were identical..

Remember, I sold the Trak with 1980's Naim... The high treble was very "scratchy" when compared with the Asak, although most of the Asak character was there (being the same thing basically). My favourite of the three was the Asak "T," which was the best selected one at a very profitable price premium.

P.S. One characteristic of the Trak and Asak design was a lack of the 3-D image in a good recording, something you and I value hugely Marco. I agree that they were good at reproducing 1980's contemporary music, but the Karma and Troika were so much better, especially today with less "fruity" turntables and an EsCo re-tip

You know Marco, at today's prices an Asak would sell for nigh on a grand (well, several hundred anyway). Would I pay that much for one when the AT33PTG is less than half the price, or a ZYX R100 or Lyra sell for the same, let alone the Royal N SPU? Nah.....

Marco
01-02-2010, 09:32
I didn't get Naim until later. Dunno about ADC - I've not used their arms. All I can say with absolute conviction is that the LVV worked a treat with the DL-103 in the Ariston, as did the Trak.

It's probably a context/synergy thing, as often happens in hi-fi.

Catch you later, dude :cool:

Marco.

REM
01-02-2010, 10:35
Remember, I sold the Trak with 1980's Naim... The high treble was very "scratchy" when compared with the Asak, although most of the Asak character was there (being the same thing basically). My favourite of the three was the Asak "T," which was the best selected one at a very profitable price premium.

You know Marco, at today's prices an Asak would sell for nigh on a grand (well, several hundred anyway). Would I pay that much for one when the AT33PTG is less than half the price, or a ZYX R100 or Lyra sell for the same, let alone the Royal N SPU? Nah.....

I got my Asak in '84 and IIRC it cost £200 which made it an expensive cart at the time but at todays prices it would be around £450/600, depend on whether you measure price or wage inflation, so in contemporary terms a more mid range item.
My particular Asak died on one channel after about 8/9 months and Linn refused to repair/replace it as they had just introduced the Asaka, it took the intervention of my dealer to get them to replace the thing, so much for Linns' customer support. The Asaka was a huge improvement, made me realise that much of the Asak 'character' was in fact mis-tracking!
The pricing shows how the market has changed (become more expensive) over the last 1/4 century, however the Denon 103 cost £100 back in the day when Ian Rankin 'didn't' review it for TFR and still does today, food for thought.

Marco
01-02-2010, 11:04
I've just noticed your edit, Dave....

The high treble was very "scratchy" when compared with the Asak, although most of the Asak character was there (being the same thing basically).

I couldn't say, as I never used an Asak. However, the treble definitely wasn't "scratchy" with the Trak on the LVV. Perhaps the better quality (heavier) headshell I was using on the LVV made the difference?

I know from experience that headshells can make a significant difference to how a cartridge performs, and the Trak was quite low compliance, if I remember correctly, so probably liked a bit more mass. That's another reason why the LVV worked so well with the 103 (particularly with a higher mass magnesium headshell), as the arm had a standard effective mass of 13.5g (further increased by the heavier headshell), compared to the 10.5g of the Basik Plus - and this extra mass probably also benefited the Trak.

Sounds like a reasonable theory, no? :)

P.S. One characteristic of the Trak and Asak design was a lack of the 3-D image in a good recording, something you and I value hugely Marco.

These days, yes, but I'm not sure how important such things were to me as a 17/18 year old jumping around his bedroom like a dafty to Duran Duran or Heaven 17! :eyebrows:

It worked for me because that system boogied like a bastard and was FUN with a capital 'F' (I've still got that sound in my head now...) When my mates came round we always had a riot, and they loved it compared to the stack systems and music centres they were using at the time, which sounded shit in comparison.

I agree that they were good at reproducing 1980's contemporary music, but the Karma and Troika were so much better, especially today with less "fruity" turntables and an EsCo re-tip

Well that's all I listened to in those days, so for me it wouldn’t have mattered a jot what the Trak sounded like with anything else. Perhaps then we can agree that it was a good 'pop' cartridge for playing the likes of your Human League and Frankie Goes to Hollywood 12" singles? ;)

Yes the Karma and Troika were much better, as I later discovered, but I always kept the 103, as none of the Linn cartridges I used quite had its addictive sheer verve and 'get up and go' qualities, when partnered with the right ancillaries.

Nah, an Asak wouldn't interest me these days, but then neither would an AT33PTG or a bloody frigid sounding Lyra (!) ZYX are quite nice, but the Royal N is more my cup of tea - or a Decca! :cool:

Marco.

Rare Bird
01-02-2010, 13:36
I'm currently using a AR legend fitted with a Linn Basik LVX and Goldring 1010 which sounds better than my Grado Gold:scratch:

Found the 110 sub platter, just shoved the spindle in to hold it up

Themis
01-02-2010, 14:06
Nice in a Japanese kinda way ;)

Notice the Pinch Roller is situated above the Capstan
Yes, oh well... it's an Akai... ;)

Rare Bird
01-02-2010, 14:36
it's an Akai... ;)

:scratch:

DSJR
01-02-2010, 18:39
Jonboy, The best of the cheaper Grado's is the basic model. Any dearer and sound gets softer and softer and softer and softer............ Some call it refinement, I call it dullness!

Marco, we're not so far aprt you know. I had a whale of a time in the eighties and bought loads of 12" singles - all played on an Asak before the karma. I also have a home pic of an LVV on an LP12, but I don't think I had the thing very long as I don't remember using one.....:scratch:

DSJR
01-02-2010, 18:42
In case anyone wants to know what the heck I'm going on about -

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/LVVChoice.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/GarrottDeccaChoice.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/AsakChoice.jpg

The Asak pic is wrong incidentally... By the way, these cartridges were tested AND auditioned in an LP12/LVX (ferchrissakes) through - wait for it - a CYRUS 2!!!!! - oooh my head aches at the thought.....

Trak review comin' up..

DSJR
01-02-2010, 18:52
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/TrakChoice.jpg

Rare Bird
01-02-2010, 19:26
There a typical company thats for sure *get worse as the get on*..

Marco
01-02-2010, 21:05
Hi Dave,

I've got that very copy of Hi-fi Choice - in the days of its 'mini' format! I've read it many times :)

I'd agree with their summary of the Trak - only thing is, I got it to 'sing' very nicely indeed on an LVV with a heavy headshell, with no need for anything more expensive to "do it justice"! :ner:

;)

Marco.

twelvebears
01-02-2010, 21:37
This very evening - Sony CDP-777ES for £560

Nice.

DSJR
01-02-2010, 22:04
Wasn't the 777 one of the classic ones we never saw, or was it the 557 - I lose track of model numbers.

I think the last one of this series we saw in the UK was a single "7" digit IIRC. It was a smoothy as I recall and the last ones were flogged off for £550 approx in HyperFi....

Marco
01-02-2010, 22:23
This very evening - Sony CDP-777ES for £560

Nice.

You can tell he's chuffed as a badger, can't you? And rightly so! Keep on grinning from ear to ear, Stevey boy :lol: :eyebrows:

Oh, and welcome to the 777 club! :)

Dave, Mark will verify, but I'm pretty sure that the last of the truly great Sonys was the 777.

Marco.

DSJR
01-02-2010, 22:31
At the time, it was being lamented that none came over here. Obviously some did, either grey imported, or a handful to the best city dealers perhaps. What a shame....... I believe the German audio scene was wetting itself over it and even Ash had some good things to say about these players (and I mean that as the sincerest compliment :lol:)

Rare Bird
02-02-2010, 03:49
Wasn't the 777 one of the classic ones we never saw, or was it the 557 - I lose track of model numbers.

'557' an earlier player than the '777',both very simular looking, both are larvley..I prefer the '557' tho Dave..

Dave, Mark will verify, but I'm pretty sure that the last of the truly great Sonys was the 777.

Last was the ESJ version of yours..

twelvebears
02-02-2010, 06:55
You can tell he's chuffed as a badger, can't you? And rightly so! Keep on grinning from ear to ear, Stevey boy :lol: :eyebrows:

Oh, and welcome to the 777 club! :)

Marco.

I am quite happy actually. Just hoping it's a good as it looks in the pics. The owner (he's had it from new) insists it's been only lightly used in the time he's owned it, so fingers crossed. :lol:

My plan is to get him to send it straight to Mark at Audiocom, so that he can get to work on it. Will be a bit tortuous not getting to see it first but it'll save postage cost and bother.

Rare Bird
02-02-2010, 14:00
I am quite happy actually. Just hoping it's a good as it looks in the pics. The owner (he's had it from new) insists it's been only lightly used in the time he's owned it, so fingers crossed. :lol:

My plan is to get him to send it straight to Mark at Audiocom, so that he can get to work on it. Will be a bit tortuous not getting to see it first but it'll save postage cost and bother.

Service manual if you need it ;)

http://pcbunn.cithep.caltech.edu/jjb/Sony/Service_Manual_CDP-X777ES.pdf

DSJR
02-02-2010, 17:46
Andre, you're driving me bonkers with that F307 avatar. I have no need for it now but the F307 is one amp I'd LOVE to own for some strange reason....

hifi_dave
02-02-2010, 17:51
Why ???

I've got one in the loft and that's where it belongs. Looks great but......:vomfest:

Rare Bird
02-02-2010, 18:56
Why ???

I've got one in the loft and that's where it belongs. Looks great but......:vomfest:

Sell it me then i need another you could use the money for a set of ear in aids :lol:

You can never have enough F307's

Rare Bird
02-02-2010, 19:03
F307 is one amp I'd LOVE to own for some strange reason....

They need a few circuit alterations but your clearly a man of great taste Dave. The haters/piss taker are generally from cloud cuckoo land, they generaly own artifical sounding systems anyway so never appreciate a good item...:)

DSJR
02-02-2010, 20:29
HiFi Dave isn't one of those people I can assure you.

KJ did Ferrograph in the early 70's, but by the time I started as a saturday boy in 1974 the interest had waned. By the late 70's, the W1 shop re-stocked Ferrograph with the Super7 to start with and the 307 amp, together with a batch of twenty pairs of "S2" speakers that noone except me have heard of.... They looked identical to the S1 but were supposed to have re-jigged crossovers - I loved them and would have bought a pair myself except I bought a colleague's BC1's instead (in 1976).

The F307 wasn't hugely powerful and it was obviously laid out internally in the old fashioned transistor way on olde-worldy circuit boards, but the front panel looked quite professional to me and the controls felt nice as I recall. I think the sound was ok too.

The last I remember of ferrograph was the rather tasty Logic 7 reel to reel. I recorded some stuff for dem and loved using it, the Revox B77 being a bit plain-jane by comparison.

One of my colleagues made a demo betamax tape with a camera "walking" around the shop. I wish I had it as the pics of the equipment we had then would bring back so many memories..

Barry
02-02-2010, 20:47
Andre, you're driving me bonkers with that F307 avatar. I have no need for it now but the F307 is one amp I'd LOVE to own for some strange reason....

"The F307 received a number of good reviews and sold in relatively good numbers.

The electronic design of the amplifier did have shortcomings which could have been tackled at the design stage, with no stabilisation of the power supplies. Loud passages or a heavy bass line would cause the 'power on' lamp to flicker in sympathy. The amplifier went into a "Mark II" version with an improved specification and to also address shortcomings in the power output stage. A military version was also supplied (and housed) in the traditional battleship grey livery and sturdy metal cabinet."

Quoted from 'Built like a Battleship - A History of the Ferrograph Company', by Terry Martini, 2008, ISBN 978-1-4276-2523-6.

I just love the idea of a military version!

Regards

Themis
02-02-2010, 23:09
This is the perfect amp for my nuclear fallout shelter... :)

Rare Bird
02-02-2010, 23:55
"The F307 received a number of good reviews and sold in relatively good numbers.

The electronic design of the amplifier did have shortcomings which could have been tackled at the design stage, with no stabilisation of the power supplies. Loud passages or a heavy bass line would cause the 'power on' lamp to flicker in sympathy. The amplifier went into a "Mark II" version with an improved specification and to also address shortcomings in the power output stage. A military version was also supplied (and housed) in the traditional battleship grey livery and sturdy metal cabinet."

Quoted from 'Built like a Battleship - A History of the Ferrograph Company', by Terry Martini, 2008, ISBN 978-1-4276-2523-6.

I just love the idea of a military version!

Regards

:lol: Give it a rest dudes i'm well aware of this amps circuit & what needs addressing.

twelvebears
03-02-2010, 09:41
Service manual if you need it ;)

http://pcbunn.cithep.caltech.edu/jjb/Sony/Service_Manual_CDP-X777ES.pdf

Nice one Andre! Thanks!

It's actually being shipped straight from the seller to Mark at Audiocom for a selection of mods.

Rare Bird
12-02-2010, 00:14
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Logic-DM101-Turntable_W0QQitemZ270528353552QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables?has h=item3efcbf1510

Awesome deck, very thick alloy floating top plate..Deck construction is bonded MDF, the floating suspension is three point adjustable (From top with allen key) threaded points that each sit in a sprung like cradles..Platter, Sub platter/ bearing have gotta be one of the best, substantial & well finished of that time.

Providing when you bought the deck some feet were a grey adjustable marble type effect plastic tapred foot some aluminium..Later models are best with the big coils spring in the centre over the main bearing housing.this sorted moaning reviewers that would find anything to make it look inferior to that other deck.

btw: that may be a felt matt he has sat ontop of the original as these should have an integral matt with aluminium set in centre to accomodate record label.

I think i still have those locking rings he has missing on that auction.Thats a manual version btw, there was an electronic version with touch button control pannel glued to the top as used on their 'Tempo' deck, i think the twin motor Logic 'Gemini' deck had the same pannel aswell.Only drawback apart from the slightly rough plinth constructon (inside) is the poor quality lid.Doubt you still be able to source a living 'DM101' outboard power supply but i guess the Manticore systems PSU will be the closest thing! 'Airpax' Motor is mounted on a very substantial black metal plate, fixed flush, directly into the top of the plinth.

The Vinyl Adventure
12-02-2010, 02:33
Mooching on eBay found a pair of quad esl63 speakers recently serviced for £900 bin...
http://wap.ebay.co.uk/Pages/ViewItem.aspx?aid=260552054532&sv=Quad%20esl%2063&emvcc=0
The last ones sold for nearly £1500
I know nothing about these things or thier value but thought it might be worth pointing those facts out to people, in case it is as interesting as my untrained eyes and mind would say

Rare Bird
12-02-2010, 03:41
Hamish the 63's need more space than the 57's as they readiate sound in different ways.. 63's also had obvious technical improvements over the '57 but i still prefer the 57's! These designs can be very daunting to someone new & you just can't plonk any old amp on em either.

DSJR
12-02-2010, 07:55
63's need to be off the floor and the domestic versions should be tilted back a little too. Do this properly and they're magic, although they're not right for classical monitoring I understand from comments posted elsewhere, as apparently Polygram found the old B&W 801 closer to what was actually going on in the session.....

hifi_dave
12-02-2010, 10:18
Bat shit and boring are words which spring to mind at the mention of ESL63, at least the 57's had a bit of mid-band magic.

DSJR
12-02-2010, 12:41
IF you angle the 63's back, they do it too. Set them too low, the treble fires into the floor and they sound muffled.

I remember a wonderful 57 era Quad dem at a show with the 57's on trestle tables. Wonderful sound and peace... A couple of years later and the 63's were sat on the floor, the TD160-M75ED was heavily filtered by the 44 pre and the sound was truly dire. The rep denied there was anything wrong and it was years before I heard what the 63's could really do....

hifi_dave
12-02-2010, 13:30
I made frames which held the 63's and which we could tilt forward and back, we removed the covers and other mods but just couldn't get on with them. The 57's, especially, with bass bins (as they were known) and super-tweets worked a treat. On their own they have an interesting mid prescence, just a narrow band, which is quite appealing.

Rare Bird
12-02-2010, 16:40
IF you angle the 63's back, they do it too. Set them too low, the treble fires into the floor and they sound muffled.

I remember a wonderful 57 era Quad dem at a show with the 57's on trestle tables. Wonderful sound and peace... A couple of years later and the 63's were sat on the floor, the TD160-M75ED was heavily filtered by the 44 pre and the sound was truly dire. The rep denied there was anything wrong and it was years before I heard what the 63's could really do....

I've always prefered the 57's..Stackkers are larvley.

The Vinyl Adventure
13-02-2010, 00:37
... I ain't interested in the Andre ... Just trying to be of service to the thread :)

Rare Bird
13-02-2010, 00:44
... I ain't interested in the Andre ... Just trying to be of service to the thread :)

Sorry i thought you were intrested in a set! :rolleyes:

Marco
13-02-2010, 01:17
57s were defo best - and stacked even more so!

I wouldn't say no to a pair of 2905s either... I nearly bought a pair before going down the vintage Tannoy route :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
13-02-2010, 01:37

I wouldn't say no to a pair of 2905s either... I nearly bought a pair before going down the vintage Tannoy route :)

Marco.

Stick with old technology it dont break down, even if it does you can fix it easy enough. 2905! arnt they chinese

Ali Tait
13-02-2010, 10:55
If it's statics you want and you dont mind a bit of DIY,check out the ER Audio site.I have two pairs of Rob's speakers and they are superb.Every bit as good if not better than the new Quads and for a fraction of the price.

hifi_dave
13-02-2010, 12:03
Stick with old technology it dont break down, even if it does you can fix it easy enough. 2905! arnt they chinese

Surely Not...:eek:

It's a good ol' British company, lovingly hand-crafting products in Huntingdon. Everything put together with care and attention by a team of dedicated artisans.

Oh bugger, I'm reading an advert from 1980....:doh:

Rare Bird
13-02-2010, 12:33
:lolsign:

Aye products that sound just like every other chinese owned ex british company ;)

Barry
14-02-2010, 11:38

Marco.

I'm surprised to read this Marco, having now got some idea what it is you want from an audio system.

The Quad 2905s take a completely different approach to that of Tannoys. Presumably the Tannoys 'do for you' better than the Quads would.

Regards

Rare Bird
14-02-2010, 17:39
Is this bloke alright upstairs?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Flat-Response-NAIM-KEF-LINN-10-Editions_W0QQitemZ180450713514QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL?hash=item2a03b35faa

hifi_dave
14-02-2010, 17:41
Wowie, they're far too cheap.....:stalks:

Barry
14-02-2010, 18:23
Is this bloke alright upstairs?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Flat-Response-NAIM-KEF-LINN-10-Editions_W0QQitemZ180450713514QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL?hash=item2a03b35faa

:lolsign:

They're probably being sold by the Editor to help him out when he emerges from 'being detained at Her Majesty's pleasure'.

Me, I was so annoyed by what I read in a couple of the magazines that I bought, I threw them away in disgust!

Regards

Rare Bird
14-02-2010, 18:24
I still have mine

DSJR
14-02-2010, 18:32
I have a few of these mags and reading them recently made me feel physically sick. twenty five years on and the secret's out. Naim financed this rag apparently and the supporting dealers (yes, we were one of 'em) helped accelerate the downturn in the UK audio industry, the "we" making money for a few good years and the "not-we" struggling and often closing down. Once the bubble burst, the "we" suffered too unless totally locked into the terrible two's vice-like grip.....

Looking on ebay now, I don't see many bargains. It's as if the entire remaining custom for "mid grade" audio now shops on there for vintage gear. HiFi dave and I had a truly dedicated engineer who was so careful, knowledgeable and a lover of vinyl and valves who packed it all in ten years ago. I suspect he's now retired, but his services would be needed now for all this stuff - what a shame..........

Rare Bird
14-02-2010, 19:22
I use mine as shit house roll when i run out of Andrex.

Barry
14-02-2010, 19:24
I use mine as shit house roll when i run out of Andrex.

That's all they're fit for, as I alluded to in another thread (somewhere).

Regards

John
14-02-2010, 19:27
£999 for toilet paper not bad then!!!

Barry
14-02-2010, 19:30
£999 for toilet paper not bad then!!!

As the by-line for a certain brand of toilet tissue has it: "Love your bum".

Regards

Rare Bird
14-02-2010, 20:22
Doesnt make a bit of sence, obvious to a blind man they aint gonna sell but how much has that cost him to list at the price?

Marco
14-02-2010, 23:55
Hi Barry,

I'm surprised to read this Marco, having now got some idea what it is you want from an audio system.

The Quad 2905s take a completely different approach to that of Tannoys. Presumably the Tannoys 'do for you' better than the Quads would.

2905s or stacked 57s are very cool - I love 'em both (for their strengths), but I love the Lockwoods even more, overall :)

Incidentally, I've effected some upgrades to my mains set-up recently (with something that I never thought would work - more later on a separate thread), which have significantly raised the bar, sonically, since you last heard the system. If you find yourself up my way again sometime soon, please call by for a sesh (usual booze and munchies apply) as I'd value your opinion :cool:

Marco.

Barry
15-02-2010, 23:00
Hi Barry,

2905s or stacked 57s are very cool - I love 'em both (for their strengths), but I love the Lockwoods even more, overall :)

Incidentally, I've effected some upgrades to my mains set-up recently (with something that I never thought would work - more later on a separate thread), which have significantly raised the bar, sonically, since you last heard the system. If you find yourself up my way again sometime soon, please call by for a sesh (usual booze and munchies apply) as I'd value your opinion :cool:

Marco.

It's probably fortunate that you found the Tannoys, as I don't think the Quad 2905s would work well in your listening room. Being a dipole design, the Quads need plenty of room behind them. They might work when placed near a rear wall, if that wall was covered with sound absorbing material, however I have never seen this done.

I shall be up your way for the beginning of March. Unfortuately I cannot make the Scalford hall show. Perhaps I could visit some time after the 7th. Will PM you with details.

Regards

Rare Bird
16-02-2010, 01:19
The 57's would work as they are front radiating.They don't hit restrictions like the later dipoles. People moan about bassless Quads but you stack a pair & everything will be apparent. I've even seen triplets per channel

Alex_UK
16-02-2010, 07:55
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220556826431&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123#ht_1865wt_1165

Not sure if its a bargain though... but interesting

DSJR
16-02-2010, 10:05
If you want to hear how horrid a room with too much damping behind the speakers sounds, try the upstairs demo room at KJW1. Martin Logans sound superb apparently, but little else did when I was last there. they may well have re-modelled it by now though.....

DSJR
16-02-2010, 10:08
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220556826431&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123#ht_1865wt_1165

Not sure if its a bargain though... but interesting

Some of those Denon turntables were judged inferior to the Techies at the time and many of their the arms were pants as I remember.....

Kris
16-02-2010, 11:17
Agreed. From what I know of Denon TT's (not that I'm any kind of expert), that's not one of their best by a long shot. Way overpriced.

Rare Bird
16-02-2010, 11:51
The one i heard once was laid in a Carrera marble plinth, well the top section was marble anyway!

Barry
16-02-2010, 15:19
The 57's would work as they are front radiating.They don't hit restrictions like the later dipoles. People moan about bassless Quads but you stack a pair & everything will be apparent. I've even seen triplets per channel

Despite the 57's having acoustic absorbing material fitted on the back of the speaker, and so have reduced rear radiation, they still like about 3 foot of clear space between them and a solid wall.

Agree with you about stacking 57's - absolutely sublime, the sense of presence is palpable. Unfortunately I simply do not have the room for such an arrangement in my living room. :(

Regards

Spectral Morn
16-02-2010, 19:09
Peter Lindley (from Spalding) had a design using a pair of stacked 57 Quads (he demoed at many audio shows, including Heathrow). He modified, re-built, and designed his own electronics..mostly amplification, though he did have a pair of his own speakers called New Age.

The stacked Quads were awesome but way to big. Sadly I think Peter is dead now which is a real shame, as he was a very talented designer. When his wife died in the early 90s he didn't cope well and turned to drink (very heavily). Not heard anything about him in many years...anyone know?

For about 6 years (1989-1995) it was magical...I for one miss you Peter.

Regards D S D L

Jonboy
16-02-2010, 21:50
People moan about bassless Quads but you stack a pair & everything will be apparent.l

Naturally i would have to agree with you Andr'e

DSJR
18-02-2010, 22:19
Rega Mira -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rega-Mira-amplifier_W0QQitemZ150414569145QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?has h=item2305682eb9

Darned good integrated with a musical sound and great phono stage...

Rare Bird
20-02-2010, 01:14
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A-R-Cambridge-HA10-moving-coil-cartridge-preamplifier_W0QQitemZ290404261057QQcmdZViewItemQQ ptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item439d715cc1

A&R Cambridge 'HA10'..looks like it's plugged to take it's power from the 'A60' but a dedicated PSU was available..I used to use this or the Lentek years ago, i used to prefer Lentek just minst yer..

Rare Bird
20-02-2010, 21:40
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TUBE-TECHNOLOGY-FUSION-CD-PLAYER_W0QQitemZ260556346988QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates ?hash=item3caa5e566c

hifi_dave
20-02-2010, 22:35
Tube Technology are no more, so no backup and no spares for any of their products....:doh:

Rare Bird
20-02-2010, 22:57
Yes that true but who relys on back up spares these days. i don't expect to even be able to source a new Lazer for a CD player a few years old machine who ever they may be

Barry
21-02-2010, 00:06
Yes that true but who relys on back up spares these days. i don't expect to even be able to source a new Lazer for a CD player a few years old machine who ever they may be

Well whatever, it didn't sell even at a starting bid of 99p!

Rare Bird
21-02-2010, 00:25
Well whatever, it didn't sell even at a starting bid of 99p!

Yes they did he finished it cancelled bids probably cos someone offered a price

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=260556346988

The whole reason i refuse to spend lots of money on gear is because regardless of how much it costs it throw away consumer electronics at the end of the day. I buy the best sounding buget gear, if it breaks down i don't give a fuck.

Barry
21-02-2010, 00:31
Yes they did he finished it cancelled bids probably cos someone offered a price

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=260556346988

The whole reason i refuse to spend lots of money on gear because regardless of how much it costs it throw away consumer electronics at the end of the day. I buy the best sounding buget gear, if it breaks down i don't give a fuck.

You're right - I should have clicked on the "0 bids".

That's my approach to Chinese built gear. The track record for all of my 'Region Free' DVD players, so far, has been 12 -18 months before they develop a fault. At £50 a pop I can live with that. Wouldn't spend any more on Chinese crap!

Regards

Rare Bird
21-02-2010, 00:42
If your good enough to find exceptionally good performing gear at beer money it's the best way, i don't give a shit what badge snobs think of me & what i buy,it aint a competition.. i used to hate japanese gear but i changed that point of view some time ago they last a lot longer than the high priced english hi-fi..The best quality for the money equipment to buy IMHO is Sony.This Sony CDP i have is around ten years old now, i have another unused boxed so if it ever breaks down who cares. Ive had CD players & amps from most well respected british manufacturers & all have given me problems before 2 years.Never again i don't work my bollox of to pay for unreliable hi-priced clobber

Themis
21-02-2010, 06:57
Most consumer electronics of respected (mainstream) manufacturers are reliable (for at least 10-20 yeras). ;)

twelvebears
21-02-2010, 07:27
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it against eBay 'rules' to cancel an auction where valid bids exist unless you clearly state that the item is also being advertised off-line too?

If not, surely this would just be an easy way out for anyone who didn't like the price their item reached?

Spur07
21-02-2010, 10:31
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it against eBay 'rules' to cancel an auction where valid bids exist unless you clearly state that the item is also being advertised off-line too?

If not, surely this would just be an easy way out for anyone who didn't like the price their item reached?

Yeah, its regarded as against the spirit of the auction, but I think you can still pull an auction after bidding has occurred and come up with a feeble excuse from the options list. I think you can even claim back your fees if you complete the transaction outside of ebay.

Rare Bird
22-02-2010, 02:11
I wish he wasnt so far away i'd have these, one of the first speakers i ever had. The sheer size of em will kill bids.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CASTLE-HOWARD-1-VERY-RARE-VINTAGE-LOUDSPEAKERS-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ150416384435QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers ?hash=item230583e1b3

Marco
22-02-2010, 09:21
Wow, those are very different from the Castle Howards I remember of the 90s, which were tall floor-standers with upward-firing drivers.... Back then I had the Harlech; it's smaller brother - they were quite good :)

I like the look of the vintage ones, but the only thing that'd put me off is the weird shape, low and squat... You'd need pretty weird looking custom-made speaker stands to a) support their full dimensions, and b) to get them up to the correct ear height, as they seem so low to the ground....

Marco.

hifi_dave
22-02-2010, 09:40
Around the same time, ProAc came up with a speaker employing 4 x KEF B110 in tandem as a bass driver. The idea being that you had the air moving capabilities of a large bass unit with the 'speed' of a smalll driver. It wasn't 100% successful and was abandoned. Interesting though...:scratch:

ProAc also did a speaker employing 20 or more (I can't remember), 1 inch dome Peerless tweeters as the bass driver, a single dome for HF and a Piezo super-tweet. This was very fast and transparent but the domes would quickly run out of excursion and burn out. Good fun for a short time...:eyebrows:

Marco
22-02-2010, 10:20
What kind of stands would you put on those things though, Dave? Or was that in the days when they were simply plonked on the floor or on castors? :eyebrows:

Either way, they must've sounded terrible like that unless you kneeled down on the floor when listening to music or were a midget! :mental: :lol:

Marco.

hifi_dave
22-02-2010, 11:54
With the ProAc speakers, it was when we had quite a few stand-mount speakers but, even then, the stands tended to be around 16-18 inches high. As you might have guessed, the tweeters were firing at your knee caps unless the speaker was large.

There were few stand makers then and most made trolleys to perch the speaker on, alternatively, there were single, mass loaded columns on which to balance the larger speaker. It took a few years to get stand makers to produce sensible stands.

Rare Bird
22-02-2010, 19:50
Wow, those are very different from the Castle Howards I remember of the 90s, which were tall floor-standers with upward-firing drivers.... Back then I had the Harlech; it's smaller brother - they were quite good :)

I like the look of the vintage ones, but the only thing that'd put me off is the weird shape, low and squat... You'd need pretty weird looking custom-made speaker stands to a) support their full dimensions, and b) to get them up to the correct ear height, as they seem so low to the ground....

Marco.

around '73/'74, the terminals are underneith. the stands are only bolted on underneith also. they are tremenous speakers. those 90's castles arnt proper castle.

Rare Bird
22-02-2010, 19:55
Regarding low stands, quiet a few designs were low mounting B&W 'DM2' is one i can think of..Actually when i bought my Spendor 'SP-1' they were on very low stands with castors around 6" high, doubt they were spendor stands but they were perfect diamentions to the cabinet

Marco
22-02-2010, 21:30
Not an ideal height for the tweeters being at the proper ear level, though dude!

If I owned speakers like that (or the rather nice Castles above, which I agree would be miles better than the 90s ones) I'd put them on custom-made stands, like Dave says 16-18 high, and I bet they'd be fab :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
23-02-2010, 00:17
Not an ideal height for the tweeters being at the proper ear level, though dude!

If I owned speakers like that (or the rather nice Castles above, which I agree would be miles better than the 90s ones) I'd put them on custom-made stands, like Dave says 16-18 high, and I bet they'd be fab :)

Marco.

O yes they need taking off those stand & geting custom open frame stands made.

Here Post #24 they are mine at the top also the low profile bolted on stands..You can see on howards pictured below how easy it is to un-bolt the babies..

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=356&page=3

Kris
23-02-2010, 15:09
KPM library LPs for sale

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/thomas.mlynar/m.html?

Rare Bird
23-02-2010, 15:35
KPM library LPs for sale

One there for BBC Radiophonic Workshop style album Fans.. An Electric Storm geezer

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KPM-1243-Library-LP-The-Vorhaus-Sound-Experiment_W0QQitemZ110496614117QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUK_Records?hash=item19ba1c86e5

REM
23-02-2010, 19:59
KPM library LPs for sale

Fantastic, how cool is that:smoking:.

alfie2902
23-02-2010, 20:26
there's some of Jerrys fav Hitachi I/C on ebay

http://srx.uk.ebayrtm.com/clk?RtmClk&u=1H4sIAAAAAAAAAD2OUWuDMBSF3wX%2FgzD6GJvcNEYLPlhra WBt57QTZFC0igvOKTYy%2Bu%2BXVtjLPd89nHO5L%2BlUW7u6t IBahK6BrQm1DklqASbYNMbJ%2F1Jq%2BFwvl9dG2nVZ3O1rb0% 2Ftci%2FSINwLRBA7IEBv%2B9PxhNLTP4bB5jVCm%2FfguEXHK LtkOI6lqrucepg4hGMCjMfxtVB104%2F3HDymt67KP2T9K3Qwj i9qbG%2ByyocVXWG7A4fO3lCM3S0vvpt%2BQbeJCBfgSHXTLJ4 0aTqHmhlsRPCU8ywiyp66E2Ey%2B7tHpVc%2FukKwxuFxxqGmU fQ%2B6Ckrn3BP%2F2saZeU7lGPmmIbUtovZimPPBY9w4ADE1fm x9XXyDzteUWFUAQAA&ch=3&g=804278121250a0b58445fad5ffb1746c&i=135487687&aii=8054709829172722182&lid=637056&m=131244&pi=4340

Kris
23-02-2010, 21:20
Fantastic, how cool is that:smoking:.

Very cool, on condition we don't start bidding against each other! There's plenty to go round.

DSJR
24-02-2010, 10:44
For all you Tannoyista's -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tannoy-Turnberry-Prestige-SE_W0QQitemZ220557810560QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Audi oVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers?hash= item335a451b80

Unless i'm mistaken, this could be the very same pair which seduced me at HiFi dave's place eighteen months or so ago. The gent loved them so much, he upgraded to the bigger ones...

Well worth a punt, as they're so smooth but with all the fun intact.......

Rare Bird
24-02-2010, 13:52

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tannoy-Turnberry-Prestige-SE_W0QQitemZ220557810560QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Audi oVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers?hash= item335a451b80

If someone listed a set of Tannoy Mayfair (T225) i might be intrested then ;)

DSJR
24-02-2010, 17:10
Some of them scream in the upper mid and lower top, like Kans but LOUDER - Dover and LGM's for example, both needing the more modern crossover tuning. the Turnberry SE's don't do this at all.....

Now Andre, you're taunting me with your avatar to get a reaction. OK, I've bit.... What's the significance of an F307 with METERS??? I've never seen a standard one this endowed....... P.S. I'm a TWAT!!!! It's the Series 7 tape deck......... - Senior moment methinks.......

Rare Bird
24-02-2010, 17:55
Dave i dont wanna sound off but a lot of your posts are showing an oldish man, if you know what i mean.

DSJR
24-02-2010, 18:00
I've been around this industry for over forty years, so I think I'm entitled to feel my audio age. Furthermore, re-training over 50 is fraught with problems and this is playing on my mind at present.

P.S. You try your ageing hippy looks and music tastes on todays teens and see how you get on - little beggars think that anyone over 25 is ancient and make no bones about telling you!!!!!!!!!!!

Rare Bird
24-02-2010, 18:01
Now Andre, you're taunting me with your avatar to get a reaction. OK, I've bit.... What's the significance of an F307 with METERS??? I've never seen a standard one this endowed....... P.S. I'm a TWAT!!!! It's the Series 7 tape deck......... - Senior moment methinks.......

Not taunting i just thing they are the best looking things ever.I don't give a flying fook what people say about em.Far throw from the shit available these days. :eyebrows:

It is the bottom section of the 'S7' open Reel..The '722'/'722H' & '724' have amplifiers built in. The '702'/ '702H' & '704' don't.I have a '724' i'm looking for a '704'.There's also a '713'/'713H' mono of it.

Rare Bird
24-02-2010, 18:06
I've been around this industry for over forty years, so I think I'm entitled to feel my audio age. Furthermore, re-training over 50 is fraught with problems and this is playing on my mind at present.

P.S. You try your ageing hippy looks and music tastes on todays teens and see how you get on - little beggars think that anyone over 25 is ancient and make no bones about telling you!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave i'm only going on 42 but over the last five years i found my hearing has altered, a lot of your posts say the same about thing i dissagree with but probably wont in another ten years, it was just an observation not a pop at yer ;)

Marco
24-02-2010, 19:50

Nice, Dave, but they're mere toys compared to Canterburys or Lockwood Majors! ;)

I might consider buying a pair for the kitchen :eyebrows:

Marco.

DSJR
24-02-2010, 22:11
Bet they sound smoother though :D

Marco, I've heard all sorts from DC driver Tannoys. The cheap-as-chips old DC2000's and 3000's are fantastic fun for not much money and have good bass to die for IMO.. The Monitor Reds, IIILZ's and also the LGM's owned by HiFi dave will take your fillings out if you let them..

The smaller Prestige line seem to have benefitted from a substantial re-voicing and IMO they sound wonderful for it. Little mid colouration (although Harbeths are better here and so they should be), a smooth top that you only hear when it's there and a surprisingly tactile bass for such seemingly hollow boxes IMO.

Put it this way, there's more weight and far less squeal than the Devons you have (IIRC). Great for your workshop and/or kitchen......

The Grand Wazoo
25-02-2010, 00:55
Marco, I've heard all sorts from DC driver Tannoys. The cheap-as-chips old DC2000's and 3000's are fantastic fun for not much money and have good bass to die for IMO.. ..

Fun is right - they kind of chuck it all at you & you can't help but love 'em

Marco
25-02-2010, 20:05
Hi Dave,

The Devons definitely sound as you describe, but they're fun with it! :)

My Lockwoods are a different ball-game altogether, though, and have a finesse, refinement and all-round musical abilities that is eons ahead of Devons or Kensingtons - it would be like comparing a Bentley to a Ford Focus!! ;)

Marco.

Kris
26-02-2010, 00:43
Well, the KPM auction was exciting. I must have chosen some good 'uns because others came along and outbid me on the ones I really wanted. Still, at least I pushed them to over £5 on each, over £7 on the Jazz funk one. He wants em, he gotta pay for them . . .

I got 6 all together, under £8 +postage :)

DSJR
26-02-2010, 14:28
Hi Dave,

The Devons definitely sound as you describe, but they're fun with it! :)

My Lockwoods are a different ball-game altogether, though, and have a finesse, refinement and all-round musical abilities that is eons ahead of Devons or Kensingtons - it would be like comparing a Bentley to a Ford Focus!! ;)

Marco.

If I wasn't getting such a fantastic sound from my re-done BC2's (which sound very un-"Spendorish" these days), I'd love a pair of Devons for old time's sake - seriously........! :respect:

REM
26-02-2010, 15:32
Not sure if these are going to be a bargain or not but you don't see too many GALE 401s (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fully-Restored-Gale-401-A-Classic-Speakers_W0QQitemZ300400684341QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers ?hash=item45f146ad35) up for grabs these days.

Be interesting to see what they go for:).

Cheers

Rare Bird
26-02-2010, 17:08
Not sure if these are going to be a bargain or not but you don't see too many GALE 401s (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fully-Restored-Gale-401-A-Classic-Speakers_W0QQitemZ300400684341QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers ?hash=item45f146ad35) up for grabs these days.

Cheers

Aye i have a feeling the reserve aint cheap, they used peerless units!

DSJR
26-02-2010, 17:34
Great if properly used and understood, but they'll be on their second or third re-foam by now.. Wembley Louspeakers can easily refurb the drivers though...

Rare Bird
26-02-2010, 18:05
Great if properly used and understood, but they'll be on their second or third re-foam by now.. Wembley Louspeakers can easily refurb the drivers though...

Alot have rubbers fitted now instead of the foam..I think but i'm not sure those tweeters may have been celestions! Some have replaced with more modern tweeters, i personally don't like replacing an original unit for a different, just doesnt seem right, x-over part change yeh but not units..

Rare Bird
26-02-2010, 18:07
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220559823822&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Spur07
26-02-2010, 18:16

Cheers

I only live 2 mins from this guy so I've arranged to pop round for a quick demo on Monday. Just wanted to hear what they're like. How much should they been going for?

Rare Bird
26-02-2010, 18:20
I only live 2 mins from this guy so I've arranged to pop round for a quick demo on Monday. Just wanted to hear what they're like. How much should they been going for?

Id have thought about £150 ish, the wooden cabinet version was a better looker tho.

Rare Bird
26-02-2010, 18:34
Never seen this phonostage before

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PINK-TRIANGLE-PIP-2-Phono-stage-amp_W0QQitemZ300399728009QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Aud ioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers?hash=item 45f1381589

Spur07
27-02-2010, 11:36
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220559823822&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Andre, how good are these in comparison to more modern fare?

Rare Bird
27-02-2010, 23:59
Andre, how good are these in comparison to more modern fare?

I love em but don't have room, they are different to the later 63, 57's are more direct treble.A lot complain about lack of bass, they are an acquired taste indeed.

Rare Bird
27-02-2010, 23:59
Great for collectors

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Goldring-Lenco-Stylus-Pressure-Guage_W0QQitemZ270533893795QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C onsumer_VintageAudio_RL?hash=item3efd139ea3

hifi_dave
28-02-2010, 17:17
They were very tricky to use - more suited to tracking force in Pounds and Ounces than Grams...:scratch:

Marco
28-02-2010, 18:39
How about the pile of 70s Technics gear here for £25:

http://www.hifiworks.co.uk/bargain.htm

:mental:

Andre, check out some of the vintage gear on that site, too: http://www.hifiworks.co.uk/amps.htm

Marco.

Rare Bird
28-02-2010, 18:50
Andre, check out some of the vintage gear on that site, too: http://www.hifiworks.co.uk/amps.htm

Aye i check in there regular..

Dave: i stated for collectors only, not to be used in practice really..Jesus perish the thought :(

REM
28-02-2010, 18:51
THIS (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hadcock-Tonearm-Stand-in-solid-wood_W0QQitemZ190376750331QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTurnt able_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2c5356acfb) has got to be the most essential item ever put on eBay, don't all rush at once now:lol:.

Rare Bird
28-02-2010, 18:58
THIS (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hadcock-Tonearm-Stand-in-solid-wood_W0QQitemZ190376750331QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTurnt able_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2c5356acfb) has got to be the most essential item ever put on eBay, don't all rush at once now:lol:.

Is it off a DIY JC Verdier vinyl grinder? :lolsign:

Rare Bird
28-02-2010, 19:03
They were very tricky to use - more suited to tracking force in Pounds and Ounces than Grams...:scratch:

I used to enjoy using my old Metro Sound gadget from the '70's (See Saw/ bubble level)

hifi_dave
28-02-2010, 19:31
I had one of them Goldring jobbies when I bought my first Goldring turntable in 1964 but it was naff, unlike the Garrard SFG3 which I still use now. Very accurate and dead easy to use.