PDA

View Full Version : Bargains on ebay?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

Marco
13-04-2011, 13:00
Lol - I'm not saying it's a bad T/T, but why not just buy the Clearaudio, and be done with it?

Do you think that the re-badged thing above, resplendent in its little 'blue panties', is liable to sound any better? ;)

Marco.

P.S May I direct to the conversation we were having yesterday on this thread: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...t=10709&page=2, specifically to posts #13, #19, #20, #21 and #26, therein?

When you get a chance, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the points that were raised, as I do so hate 'loose ends'.....

Cheers! :cool:

dantheman91
13-04-2011, 16:46
:steam: why whats the point of this anyway someone 1 will get them cheap
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270735278699&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Alex_UK
13-04-2011, 18:20
Indeed, and it's just a tarted-up Clearaudio (who make it for McIntosh)! :rolleyes:

Sorry, Alex, I LOVE McIntosh amps, and their illuminated meters, but their T/T is quite simply a fugly, blingy, monstrosity of the highest order, and a rather a rip-off to boot.....

Marco.

Sez you!

Actually it's a damn good deck and I also happen to love the styling, so there! :ner:

+1

:ner: :ner:

Granted, I would probably buy something else to use in isolation, but in an all McIntosh system, it would be perfect. The sort of person who can afford that would certainly want bling, I suspect!

Alex_UK
13-04-2011, 18:21
:steam: why whats the point of this anyway someone 1 will get them cheap
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270735278699&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

That is rather tragic! :eek:

I suspect they could be rescued though, so you might be right, a potential bargain for someone.

Marco
13-04-2011, 21:09
+1

:ner: :ner:

Granted, I would probably buy something else to use in isolation, but in an all McIntosh system, it would be perfect. The sort of person who can afford that would certainly want bling, I suspect!

Lol! :eyebrows:

Each to his or her own dude, but I'm just not into the re-badging thing, as I feel that it's done for entirely the wrong reasons.

Also, when I spend money on a turntable (and I'm in the fortunate position of being able to do so, when I feel it's necessary), all I want to pay for is out-and-out sonic performance.

Shelling out for unnecessary 'bling', just so that my T/T matches the rest of my kit, would be a concept as alien to me as shopping in Farmfoods, or not spending the weekend prancing around the bedroom in my favourite silk bodice! :bum:

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
13-04-2011, 21:14
would be a concept as alien to me as shopping in Farmfoods! ;)

Marco.
Oi, what's wrong with Farmfoods? :scratch:

:eyebrows:

Marco
13-04-2011, 21:17
Let's start with what's right with it, as we'll get that over with much quicker! :lol:

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
13-04-2011, 21:19
:D Game over :eyebrows:

Barry
13-04-2011, 22:14
Let's start with what's right with it, as we'll get that over with much quicker! :lol:

Marco.

+1

Overpriced, poor quality and 'bugger all' to do with farmers. A load of crap that pampers to the vanity of the middle class '4 x 4 school-runners'.

Alex_UK
13-04-2011, 22:18
To be fair though, Mark's not been on a school run for nearly 30 years, and "drives" a 1 x 1 - so let's not tar everyone with the same bag of frozen scampi! ;)

Marco
13-04-2011, 22:24
+1

Overpriced, poor quality and 'bugger all' to do with farmers. A load of crap that pampers to the vanity of the middle class '4 x 4 school-runners'.

Well, I was going to suggest that one of the best things about Farmfoods was playing a game of 'spot the cheesy chav to laugh at'!

Or, the other fun game of 'guess how many bags of oven chips, 'Chardonnay', the shell-suited single-mum, can squeeze into her trolley before her fake tan starts to fade'.... :eyebrows:

Marco.

Barry
13-04-2011, 22:40
Well, I was going to suggest that one of the best things about Farmfoods was playing a game of 'spot the cheesy chav to laugh at'!

Or, the other fun game of 'guess how many bags of oven chips, 'Chardonnay', the shell-suited single-mum, can squeeze into her trolley before her fake tan starts to fade'.... :eyebrows:

Marco.

I was having a 'go' at farm shops in general. I, mistakenly, assumed 'Farmshops' was one such. :doh:

But in general, why do people shop at these places? There is so much better quality fair to be bought at your local greengrocers at a reasonable price.

Folkboy
14-04-2011, 00:21
Am I an idiot for going for this?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170624087879

Marco
14-04-2011, 00:26
Andr'e will have a fit when he sees the inside of that thing! :eek:

Marco.

Rare Bird
14-04-2011, 00:28
Fork Lightning :lolsign:

Folkboy
14-04-2011, 00:37
This doesn't bode well...

Marco
14-04-2011, 00:38
LOL!

In all seriousness, Jon, I don't know if it's likely to be any good or not.... What tempted you to go for it? :)

Marco.

Folkboy
14-04-2011, 02:45
A cheap-ish valve pre amp, plus got caughht up with the ebay fever and bid too high. Plus, I know very little about what constitutes good good diy / hifi...

Maybe there should be a "Why did I buy this on ebay, it's not a bargain." thread?

The Vinyl Adventure
14-04-2011, 07:22
Where's the cantalever?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190522859893#ht_934wt_922

Edit ... Maybe I can see it??

Marco
14-04-2011, 07:35
It's hidden by the plastic stylus cover, dude - if you look very closely, you can just see the tip of the stylus...

Lol@ "The loudest cartridge on earth". I'm not sure that's particularly a selling point for audiophiles ;)

Marco.

Dingdong
14-04-2011, 07:57
That's not the cantilever. That's a speck of dust. The cantilever is off at 90 degrees. Oops wrong thread.

Marco
14-04-2011, 07:58
:lolsign:

Marco.

DSJR
14-04-2011, 09:01
There's an Alphason HR100S on there at the mo, but I can't be a*sed to look it up...

Alex_UK
14-04-2011, 09:40
Not a bargain - as it is free advice - but this makes interesting reading, and if true, bravo to the chap for putting it up...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260768419829&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123#ht_1322wt_1139

Marco
14-04-2011, 10:06
There's an Alphason HR100S on there at the mo, but I can't be a*sed to look it up...

Did you notice I landed a nice (almost brand new) Pickering XV-15 625E cartridge recently, dude? :)

Marco.

Effem
14-04-2011, 11:50
Not a bargain - as it is free advice - but this makes interesting reading, and if true, bravo to the chap for putting it up...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260768419829&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123#ht_1322wt_1139

Good advice, but not much use without better information and ideally some photos to highlight what is genuine and what is not. In the absence of that the safest thing to do is avoid ALL LS/35As being offered for sale on ebay. Not a difficult task for me to do as they are best suited to being heard in a coal bunker for a listening room :lol:

DSJR
14-04-2011, 15:01
I reckon this is a bargain at the buy-it-now price -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NOTTS-ANALOGUE-SPACEDECK-SPACE-ARM-WAVE-POWER-SPLY-/290555999298?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=item43a67cb442

DSJR
14-04-2011, 15:02
Did you notice I landed a nice (almost brand new) Pickering XV-15 625E cartridge recently, dude? :)

Marco.

Hope you like it.. I don't go round looking to see what AOS (or anyone else) members buy on ebay :)

Marco
14-04-2011, 16:46
Cheers, Dave. I'm sure I will!

I don't go round loking to see what AOS (or anyone else) members buy on ebay....

You don't read this thread, then? Back on page 172 (post #1720).....................

Just won this little chap, which I definitely consider as being a bit of a bargain:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1101/kgrhqfkse2i6dspbbbnmigw.jpg (http://img94.imageshack.us/i/kgrhqfkse2i6dspbbbnmigw.jpg/)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280654051100&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I've always wanted one of these, and this one is minty with a hardly used original stylus. Not bad for £27.00, when I know just how good these sound....! :eyebrows:

It's certainly a valuable new addition to my vintage cartridge collection, so thanks to Andr'e for alerting me to it - nice one, dude! :cool:

Marco.

Hence why I asked you the question, as I thought you read this thread, daftee!! :doh: :lol:

;)

Marco.

DSJR
14-04-2011, 19:52
I'm a bit "gazed and diffused" right now (Thanks Steve & Miquette for the phrase :)).

I missed that post Marco, but I remember comments on this cartridge being positive in a restrained kind of way (a bit like the sibling Stanton 681EE/681EEE I think).

Thing is, the Shure V15 IV is also not "demonstrative," yet given a decent cut (or a difficult pressing," it seems to sort out the mush and make it listenable. Clumsy words I know, but these "restrained" sounding cartridges seem to be the ones that you can listen to for years - and many have....

Techno Commander
14-04-2011, 20:40
Lovely old Sansui AU2200 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sansui-AU-2200-Amplifier-Very-Clean-Manual-/280656494516?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Amplifiers&hash=item41586e3fb4) integrated in Gun Metal finish. Got to be worth 30 quid of anyones money.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$%28KGrHqJ,!lYE2D5e3Mt5BNngBCelW!~~_3.JPG

UV101
16-04-2011, 10:37
New here is something to beheld!!! This is possibly my fav CDP out of the box ever! It doesn't have an S2 like the internet says but it does have a fully discrete I/V stage and a discrete preamp ;-) It doesn't have batteries! lmao:lolsign:

These normally sell for around £100-£130 faulty and upwards of £150 working.

They are NOT £299.00 starting bid faulty " think its the batteries"

Merdian 207 Pro - faulty (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200598107536&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123#ht_3317wt_1139)

Effem
18-04-2011, 16:14
Just had a bit of a browse on ebay and it gave me a wry smile or two.

Very intriguing is the word "rare" being used by sellers all too often these days. It can easily be translated into "Not another one to be found on ebay this week" or, "It was a real bag of sh1t when it was released, nobody bought it, hence the low numbers seen around today" :D

ourdogmax
18-04-2011, 16:23
Not wrong Frank :lol::lol::lol:

Tim
18-04-2011, 16:41
I have to laugh when I see that for a lot of CD's being advertised as such . . . I head straight over to Amazon and low and behold there are dozens of 'rare' ones the same and cheaper than these tossers are selling them for. Trouble is, idiots believe them and pay top dollar - I can't get my head round that at all :mental:

Spur07
18-04-2011, 21:20
That's ebay all over, whether it be hi-fi or anything else. Always google it first before clicking the button. Trouble is people have an image of ebay as a place of 'used' goods, of bargains - sometimes it is and sometimes it most definitely isn't.

joey
18-04-2011, 23:58
Just spotted these on ebay, Local to me to but need to sell some stuff before buying more!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200598803506&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Marco
19-04-2011, 20:54
If anyone wants a serious bargain on a top-notch NOS vintage record weight, then this will take some beating:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370448561935&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If these were still available as new, they'd probably be about £200!!

Be quick though to snap it up! :)

Marco.

Tim
20-04-2011, 19:09
These could be a real bargain, depending on the final price?

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/harb.jpg

Harbeth h.l. monitor mk III loudspeakers (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320688079538&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123)

:)

Reid Malenfant
20-04-2011, 19:16
Sure to be well run in with that sellers monika ;) djrichy2003, what makes me think he cranks the volume :lol:

They look in good condition though :) the Scanspeak tweeters are quality as well...

Rare Bird
20-04-2011, 22:37
All people are doing by promoting these items is vastly over inflating the prices, this is the second time this topic has cost me.

Jac Hawk
20-04-2011, 23:08
All people are doing by promoting these items is vastly over inflating the prices, this is the second time this topic has cost me.

Removed, really sorry if i fucked it up for ya:rolleyes: i'll send you a private mail in the future.

Thing Fish
21-04-2011, 00:20

That's why I won't ever get involved with this thread. (apart from this time)

Marco
21-04-2011, 09:03
The thing is, it should really be used to identify 'bargains' already purchased on eBay - not 'bargains' someone's looking at purchasing! ;)

Marco.

Jac Hawk
21-04-2011, 11:10
The thing is, it should really be used to identify 'bargains' already purchased on eBay - not 'bargains' someone's looking at purchasing! ;)

Marco.

Thing is, it does help to find out who is going to, or is bidding on an item, like you and the Pickering Cartridge, i was going to bid on it but missed the dead line, however if i hadn't you would have ended up paying a lot more for the cartridge, or i would have won and paid a lot more for it, what i'm saying is, if i had known you were interested i would have pm'd you and we could have worked it out between us, thus saving time and money and stopping members inadvertantly bidding against one another.

To be honnest i understand why Anrde is pissed off, but this thread is a double edged sword, it's handy to find out who is going to bid so that a bidding war is avoided, but it does alert everyone to a potential bargain, we need to put our thinking caps on and come up with a system the alerts genuine members of potential bidding wars:scratch:

Reid Malenfant
21-04-2011, 11:31

Marco.
:lolsign: Thinking about it don't you think that'll have exactly the same effect? Whether an item is linked to before or after an auction ends anyone who looks at this site will know that whatever it happens to be is probably worth "X" ammount of money ;) It doesn't take a mug to type in whatever it is into ebay search :eyebrows:

As i say, either way prices will rise & members on here will end up losing out because of links to ebay...

Why can't we have a thread that only members can see like the library section? It may result in more people joining AoS, but it'll definately result in more bargains :)

Beobloke
21-04-2011, 11:52

If the winning bidder was someone on here then you have point. If not, then I think you might be overestimating the influence a relatively small forum like AoS is having on the price of a equipment on an auction site that is known worldwide!

Jac Hawk
21-04-2011, 12:02
If the winning bidder was someone on here then you have point. If not, then I think you might be overestimating the influence a relatively small forum like AoS is having on the price of a equipment on an auction site that is known worldwide!

True

Jac Hawk
21-04-2011, 12:31
The main point is it's attracting attention to the present running item, a lot of people know nothing about old equipment they feed from Forums & such & will bid by word of mouth, they will generally like the look of it anyway even if they have never heard of the item.I know at least one major forum that will not allow this topic to run.

Everyone wants something cheap & rightly so.. may the best man win but attracting attention to something is obviously gonna stop someone getting a good deal, some people have a problem where they want want want, compulsive & not someone who genuinly wants the item for a reason.I buy old amps & speakers because i personally think modern equivilants look boring & sound the same in comparison.If i came up with the lotto i still wouldnt buy a new item.

It's not so much that i want something for nothing it's the fact that it's a massive gamble buying something anyway that generally ends up me spending money getting it right, hence the cheaper the wiser.

At the end of the days all this old stuff is technically junk, that should be assigned to a second hand shop were most old stuff goes, but i buy it for reasons outlined above.. i still find it odd that there should be an approx worth price that certain items should go for, this type of attitude single handedly destroyed my Vinyl record collecting anticts, i was forced to turn to CD because the music i was buying was classed as obscured & so a price bracket was created, crazy it is.Ever since then my total hobby has reached a state of drepression i can't shake off, do people for one min think someone so into vintage gear enjoys listerning to digital music! only a 1st issue vinyl will do hence i'm financially done for..It's happening to vintage Hi-Fi, everythings gradually grinding to a halt for me, with silly inflated prices.

Just bid for a bloody item you want & keep shut i say.

I do not contribute to the classic Hi-Fi thread, nor do i tell people about what i've purchased anymore

Fair Do's mate mum's the word in the future

Marco
22-04-2011, 12:27
Hi Mark,

Thinking about it don't you think that'll have exactly the same effect? Whether an item is linked to before or after an auction ends anyone who looks at this site will know that whatever it happens to be is probably worth "X" ammount of money ;) It doesn't take a mug to type in whatever it is into ebay search :eyebrows:

Yup, dude, but that's not what I meant. What I meant was that identifying bargains you've bought doesn't raise the price of an item listed on eBay still to be sold.

Therefore, if we all just stuck to telling folk about what 'bargains' we've bought on eBay, rather than what we're trying/going to buy, or what we consider is interesting, most of the issues mentioned here wouldn't be a problem.

As i say, either way prices will rise & members on here will end up losing out because of links to ebay...

I take your point, and also very much sympathise with what Andre said, but at the end of the day, I don't think it's healthy to stifle interesting discussion of quality vintage gear simply for fear of raising prices on eBay. Beneficial information should always be made public knowledge!

I want to hear about what vintage gear is good, and for it to be identified on this thread, in order to alert our members of possible 'giant killers', much more than I'm concerned about raising prices. That will happen anyway, whether purchases, potential or completed, are discussed here or not.

I wouldn't have considered buying my Celestion 15XRs or 66s otherwise, and so I've gained personally from the knowledge of others expressed here - and long may it continue!

So let's keep this discussion going, folks. Education and enlightenment, which we can use to our benefit, is much more important than anything else :)

Marco.

Marco
22-04-2011, 12:41
Hi Adam,

Point taken. However, the fact is our Google rankings are significant, to the extent that anything mentioned on AoS almost instantly appears on search engines, and thus could potentially affect the outcome of auctions on eBay prior to their completion.

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
22-04-2011, 15:00
<snip> However, the fact is our Google rankings are significant, to the extent that anything mentioned on AoS almost instantly appears on search engines, and thus could potentially affect the outcome of auctions on eBay prior to their completion.
Oh our google rankings are very significant as i found out yesterday :)

This is what comes up first if you type in "philips cdm3 (http://www.google.co.uk/#q=philips+cdm3&fp=c7b1db55a5a734dc&hl=en)" :lolsign:

:cool:

Jac Hawk
22-04-2011, 15:15
Oh our google rankings are very significant as i found out yesterday :)

This is what comes up first if you type in "philips cdm3 (http://www.google.co.uk/#q=philips+cdm3&fp=c7b1db55a5a734dc&hl=en)" :lolsign:

:cool:

With respect to ebay though, the potential buyer would either have had to look at the item on ebay and then did some digging on the net to find us, or the potential buyer would be looking for THAT item in particular so would know what it's worth. Only people who come to our forum and read the bargains on ebay section would be aware of potential gems, in fact most posts say somthing like " look at this" and then give the link to the ebay item, this type of post wouldn't be searchable on google, so really all we are promoting is bidding against each other.

Tim
23-04-2011, 18:52
Got very tempted by this, mostly nostalgia as it was the first turntable I ever owned and local to me.... but I wasn't going to pay that much :scratch:

Pioneer PL12D Turntable with Shure M75ED Cartridge (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290556654820&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

Very nice example though.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/12d.jpg

chris@panteg
24-04-2011, 17:15
Not a bargain :eyebrows: but something pretty rare ,and i have been on the lookout for sometime , having only heard from other's just how good it was .

Imagine this on the end of a Jelco 750SA into a Croft valve pre :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Technics-EPC-100C-Mk3-MM-Cartridge-/220774187022?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33672ac00e

Tim
24-04-2011, 17:17
Did Andre win the TRIO amp?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360359739521&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Jac Hawk
24-04-2011, 17:57

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360359739521&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

i was wondering the same thing:scratch: plus the AOS doesn't seem to have had an adverse effect
on the price either, bit of a storm in a tea cup

Spur07
24-04-2011, 17:58

Wow, that is lovely :)

and all for £20. I hope he won it.

Tim
24-04-2011, 18:51
I hope he won it.
. . . me too, he needs some good luck :)

Rare Bird
25-04-2011, 01:07

Marco
25-04-2011, 07:47
Nice one, dude :cool:

Btw, check out the new smilies..... :comatose: :bonk:

Marco.

DSJR
25-04-2011, 08:04
Anyone see this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NAIM-NAIT-1-Great-Working-Condition-/320687456425?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Amplifiers&hash=item4aaa7640a9

A bloody Nait snooze-box for nearly SIX HUNDRED QUID??? The bidders must need their bumps felt.....

Macca
25-04-2011, 09:57
Anyone see this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NAIM-NAIT-1-Great-Working-Condition-/320687456425?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Amplifiers&hash=item4aaa7640a9

A bloody Nait snooze-box for nearly SIX HUNDRED QUID??? The bidders must need their bumps felt.....

Never heard one but I always loved the styling, so much prettier and more expensive-looking than the modern NAIM stuff.

Jonboy
25-04-2011, 10:43
I had my heart set on this one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140535274706&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) as it was nice and local, but again it went for silly money, anyone on here bought it?

Rare Bird
25-04-2011, 12:12
Outch! well the phono sockets on the front put me straight off

Marco
25-04-2011, 12:18
Hi Martin,

Never heard one but I always loved the styling, so much prettier and more expensive-looking than the modern NAIM stuff.

I don't know about more expensive looking, but for sheer 'industrial retro' sexiness, I agree. Although, looks wise, the Nait 2 was the one that did it for me:

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/9532/1289257113.jpg (http://img850.imageshack.us/i/1289257113.jpg/)

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/4915/cbnaitkumashot.jpg (http://img854.imageshack.us/i/cbnaitkumashot.jpg/)

Gorgeous!! That has to go down as a design classic :)

I also loved the NAC72/Hicap/140 I used to have - not only did it look great, but in some ways it was more musical sounding than some of the much more expensive Naim gear I ended up buying!

I also much prefer the old Naim logo to the current abortion they use, which in comparison, is just pish.... The old rubberised knobs were also much cooler than what's used now :cool:

Marco.

Rare Bird
25-04-2011, 12:25
Thats what i used to do, turned the sleeve around, put the silver to the back.

DSJR
25-04-2011, 13:59
The Nait 1 was a soft-clipper par excellence, acting as a gentle compressor on any music with real dynamic range. The 2 had a little more, but didn't have the "magic" imo...

Marco, I wonder of you'd feel the same way about a 72/HiCap/140 if you heard one now? Methinks not in all honesty, as there's little real detail, no soundstage and the 140 hardens up when pushed, as well as being very mains-sensitive. the current stuff is far friendlier I think..

Marco
25-04-2011, 14:11
Dunno Dave, as now I've gotten used to the sound of the very best valve equipment one can buy, I guess that I wouldn't be particularly impressed....

However at the time, for me, the 72/Hicap/140, whilst far from being perfect, was a combo that just 'worked' (in a synergy sense), and when 'upgrading' to 102s, 180s, 82s, 250s, etc, some of the 'magic' of that combo was lost.

It wasn't until I'd reached 52/Supercap/135s (last ones that Naim produced) level that the 'magic' returned - and at HUGE expense (I bought all my Naim gear then BRAND NEW!) I should add that throughout my 'Naim Journey', the Spendor SP100s remained a constant, and source-wise, I went from a basic CDX eventually to a CDS2/XPS2 (with the then upgraded Burndy lead).

TBH, I'm glad that I've left those days behind. Had I known then what I know now, I'd never have spent the circa £30k it took to get to where I was as a 'Naimee'..... I shudder to think what I could do, hi-fi wise, now with that sort of money!! :eek:

Thing is though, I still value much of the Naim way of music-making, and so seek those traits in the valve gear I use. Thank goodness AnthonyTD makes 'thermionic Naim' ;)

Marco.

DSJR
25-04-2011, 14:36
The 135's were the best of the older stuff IMO, but the 52/Supercap could be equalled or bettered in performance by a "R" series Croft and AVI amongst others, although the ergonomics weren't as good in the latter two. For me, a 72/HiCap in stock form just has no dimension to the sound at all, all over-wide mono with little extreme left and right, although third party add-ons and cables could free the thing off I think (cue Les W and others). The 140 in my long term dem-room never sounded as good as a 180 or well sorted 250, although in Northampton it was better - maybe the mains was better there, I don't know..

Nah, I think we've moved on, as have they, and the old stuff is best left buried in the dark and dingy 80's in my opinion, unless it's fettled and updated within an inch of its life :)

Barry
25-04-2011, 18:39
Have been watching this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320687473701&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

But it went for more than I was prepared to pay. :(

Macca
25-04-2011, 18:41
Have been watching this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320687473701&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

But it went for more than I was prepared to pay. :(

It looks like one step up from a thorn needle ;) but I'm sure it's fabulous

Barry
25-04-2011, 18:49
It looks like one step up from a thorn needle ;) but I'm sure it's fabulous

Haha! Not quite so retro as that! Having recently re-visited the Decca cartridges, I have become fascinated by these unique designs.

This particular sample was of the Mk. III design of the early 1960s. Fitted with an elliptical stylus, I was interested in comparing it with the Mk. IV design I have recently obtained for a fellow AoS member.

It can only be used with Decca's own arm but that arrangement has audio benefits of its own. But I was only prepared to pay £80 maximum.

BTH K10A
25-04-2011, 20:13
Haha! Not quite so retro as that! Having recently re-visited the Decca cartridges, I have become fascinated by these unique designs.

This particular sample was of the Mk. III design of the early 1960s. Fitted with an elliptical stylus, I was interested in comparing it with the Mk. IV design I have recently obtained for a fellow AoS member.

It can only be used with Decca's own arm but that arrangement has audio benefits of its own. But I was only prepared to pay £80 maximum.

Barry

You can use an SME D2 adaptor ;)

These are Mk II & III cartridges I still have. Last time I used one was over 10 years ago. As I remember they were very good but I prefer the EMT cartridges more.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/emttsd15/IMG_0894.jpg
Andy

DSJR
25-04-2011, 21:04
I'd love to hear a rebuilt 4RC..

At t'other end, these were pretty good as I remember and this pair are cheap and not difficult to drive -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KEF-Reference-Model-3-Floor-Standing-Stereo-Speakers-/140537199890?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item20b8ab7d12

Rare Bird
25-04-2011, 21:25
Yesterday i won a later pair of Mordaunt Short 'DSB208' drivers with black coated baskets to replace my early bare metal units..Stonking £6 the pair.

Marco
25-04-2011, 21:32
Barry

These are Mk II & III cartridges I still have. Last time I used one was over 10 years ago. As I remember they were very good but I prefer the EMT cartridges more.
Andy

Wow... If you ever feel like selling one, Andy - I'll snap your hand off!! :)

Marco.

Barry
25-04-2011, 21:51
Barry

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes I know about the SME D2 and D3 adaptors, but I already have a Decca ffss Mk. I 'Super' arm I can use.

Whilst I have been delighted to rediscover the Mk. V and Mk. VI Deccas and will from now on always have one set up and ready to use, I'm not going to abandon my first love: the EMT TSD15 (with spherical tip). :)

Regards

Thing Fish
26-04-2011, 10:09
I picked up a mint Pioneer SX950 off fleabay a few months ago for £65 and I have to say its a thing of pure beauty. Just looking at it makes me come over all unnecessary.

It has the build quality and feel of of a heavy thing that feels rather good. The tune wheel spins forever and all the buttons are nice and clunky. It makes me yearn for meters again.

I hooked it up to an outdoor radio ariel and the sound through a pair of MC2's is very pleasing indeed.

An added bonus is also that the glow at night from the dial keeps away the boogeyman...:deceased:

BTH K10A
26-04-2011, 17:52
Wow... If you ever feel like selling one, Andy - I'll snap your hand off!! :)

Marco.

Marco, Id save up for a TSD15 if I were you. ;)

I know you've tried one before but maybe your ears were having an off day.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/emttsd15/ears_49.jpg

I know it's subjective and down to personal tastes but a TSD15 is at least to my ears (and it seems Barry's) preferable to a Decca cart. I found the Deccas a little fatiguing compared to EMT carts.

Marco
26-04-2011, 18:00
LOL! I fully intend to add an EMT to my cartridge collection sooner rather than later, but I'd also like a vintage Decca, such as those you've got.

My next cartridge purchase, however, will be a better SPU. I have my eye on a Meister Silver, which will be going on a new Ortofon RS-212D tonearm :)

Barry has first dibs on my current SPU, when I sell it!

Marco.

John
26-04-2011, 18:06
I got a SA 9100 I let you know how it I get on with it latter I presume it will need some work around the pots etc but a item of beauty
http://www.soundsgoodtomehouston.com/pioneer/sa9100/pioneer_sa9100_face.jpg

MartinT
26-04-2011, 19:37
That looks gorgeous, John.

John
26-04-2011, 19:58
Yes and according to some folk in the know one of the best Pioneer produced but can have issues with capcitors over cooking

Jonboy
26-04-2011, 20:05
nice (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARANTZ-2110L-Vintage-Analogue-Tuner-/200598684234?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item2eb49d024a) tuner

Marco
26-04-2011, 20:10
Very, very nice, John! :respect:

I thought you didn't 'do' vintage gear, mate? ;)

Marco.

Jonboy
26-04-2011, 20:17
I thought you didn't 'do' vintage gear, mate? ;)

Marco.

There's old tat and there's vintage ;)

Oh and its JON NO "H" for the millionth time sweet pea

Jonboy
26-04-2011, 20:20
early triode (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WESTERN-ELECTRIC-VT-1-AMP-AUDIO-VACUUM-TUBE-VALVE-RARE-/120714091047?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c1b1eda27) Valve, amazing old thing

Marco
26-04-2011, 20:24
There's old tat and there's vintage ;)

Oh and its JON NO "H" for the millionth time sweet pea

Aye, but I was talking to John music room mod, ya dafteee, in reference to his newly acquired Pioneer!! :lol:

Marco.

Jonboy
26-04-2011, 20:29
Aye, but I was talking to John music room mod, ya dafteee, in reference to his newly acquired Pioneer!! :lol:

Marco.

Just call me a knob for the millionth time instead then :lol:

Jonboy
26-04-2011, 20:34
ebay night tonight for me, anyway these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Teledyne-Acoustic-Research-AR18s-speakers-/220771174488?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item3366fcc858) are good little speakers but need the usual foam treatment

Jonboy
26-04-2011, 20:45
Bob Carver amp (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/305-watt-BLACK-BEAUTY-Stereo-monoblock-tube-amplifiers-/180655213414?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a0fe3cb66), 305 watts of valve power

Spur07
26-04-2011, 20:45
I got a SA 9100 I let you know how it I get on with it latter I presume it will need some work around the pots etc but a item of beauty

Nice one John

bloody gorgeous :stalks:

Alex_UK
26-04-2011, 22:13
I picked up a mint Pioneer SX950 off fleabay a few months ago for £65 and I have to say its a thing of pure beauty. Just looking at it makes me come over all unnecessary.

It has the build quality and feel of of a heavy thing that feels rather good. The tune wheel spins forever and all the buttons are nice and clunky. It makes me yearn for meters again.

I hooked it up to an outdoor radio ariel and the sound through a pair of MC2's is very pleasing indeed.

An added bonus is also that the glow at night from the dial keeps away the boogeyman...:deceased:

Lovely looking beastie Dave - pre class... :)

Alex_UK
26-04-2011, 22:15

... as is that, John. I'm after a 70's Pioneer Cassette deck, if I didn't already have a 70's Sony amp, I could be very tempted.

John
27-04-2011, 02:35
I know I rarely talk about vintage gear but always lusted after some of this stuff, it usually more around the classic DD of the past and would love the Trio everybody who has one loves this deck

Macca
30-04-2011, 15:06
Rogers JR150 on ebay , spares or repairs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rogers-JR-150-Loudspeakers-Need-attention-/250811226035?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3a658397b3

Rare Bird
01-05-2011, 10:47
Won myself Belden '7710A' /Canare RGB lead, i think this re-defines the term bull rope.. cost me £6.70

prestonchipfryer
01-05-2011, 11:20
Won these two items:

From Germany

Dingdong
01-05-2011, 18:48
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190527020733&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I'm not sure if it is a bargain yet. I'll let you know. I might have bought a box of crap or I might have bought something that kicks the arse of my 3009.
If anyone has any opinions on Hadcocks let me know.

Rare Bird
01-05-2011, 18:56
I love Unipivots they have an openess to the sound..

Dingdong
01-05-2011, 19:06
I thought I'd give unipivots a go. I think it should go okay with my Shure VSTV. I'll have to get it to work first.
I was bidding on a Nitty Gritty as well, but the description has gone from having the pump removed to being virtually stripped out inside, so I'll give it a miss and save up for an RCM.

Rare Bird
01-05-2011, 19:17
Whats the compliance of that VST-V?

Dingdong
01-05-2011, 19:35
I can't remember the figure, but it is quite high compliance.

Rare Bird
01-05-2011, 19:47
I can't remember the figure, but it is quite high compliance.

If it's a simular spec to the 'V15/V' it's not that high a compliance..

Dingdong
01-05-2011, 20:40
Is there a particular sort of cartridge that the Hadcock will work better with?

Thing Fish
01-05-2011, 21:32
Is this worth a punt to work with a LP12 Ittok ll?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280666944672&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Marco
03-05-2011, 01:18
Just won four of my favourite NOS 6SL7 tubes on ebay:

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/9245/img2947o.jpg (http://img847.imageshack.us/i/img2947o.jpg/)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290559617524

Four for £125 is not bad, especially when I've seen them for sale, as NOS, at 'premium outlets' for £60 EACH!

I'm well chuffed, and that's me done buying valves now for quite a while :cool:

Marco.

Rare Bird
03-05-2011, 01:26
nice colour bases, look nice shining in the copper

Marco
03-05-2011, 01:38
I know, dude, tell me about it - been there too often! :doh:

However, I've learned there are ways around that ;)

The GE 5691s are best sounding 6SL7s I've heard. Next best are the RCA VT229s, which I also use in the Croft. I've now acquired a nice selection of both :)

Marco.

Thing Fish
03-05-2011, 02:20

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280666944672&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Guess not then.

Alex_UK
03-05-2011, 06:40

No experience of the LP12/Ittok Dave, but I don't see why it wouldn't work - whether it will be a good synergistic match is another matter, of course... I doubt you'd have much problem selling it on again, depending on how much you pay for it of course!

Marco
03-05-2011, 09:57
Hi Dave,

Sorry I missed your post. I think the Nagaoka is a superb cartridge and should work very well on your Ittok.

Much will depend on the quality of your MM phono stage, but knowing the signatures of both the Nagaoka and the Ittok, the synergy should be good.

Therefore, I'd snap it up, as it's somewhat of a bargain :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
03-05-2011, 11:13
I think i'll start a ''What's your fav cartridges of all time'' topic, i must say there's not many favs i had.

MartinT
03-05-2011, 11:58
Go for it, Andr'e.

Rare Bird
03-05-2011, 12:05
Go for it, Andr'e.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11053

Dingdong
04-05-2011, 17:01
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190527020733&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

My Hadcock arrived this morning. I eventually sorted out the wiring problem. This was not helped by the cartridge I put on it seemingly going open circuit on one side since I last used it.
I don't think I've got the arm rest set quite right. I've got it all level and balanced up now with my VST V. The 3009 will be on ebay sometime soon.

Jonboy
06-05-2011, 18:07
These (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120718004223&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) look nice but getting on a bit in price now, be quick

Reid Malenfant
06-05-2011, 18:33
They went at a very modest price ;) Considering they aren't too far off of the performance (bass wise) of some of the huge IMF monitors :eyebrows:

If they were nearer me i'd have grabbed em :)

Jonboy
06-05-2011, 19:40
They went at a very modest price ;) Considering they aren't too far off of the performance (bass wise) of some of the huge IMF monitors :eyebrows:

If they were nearer me i'd have grabbed em :)

You should of said Mark, i would of grabbed them for you, only 5 miles away from me

Reid Malenfant
06-05-2011, 19:43
You should of said Mark, i would of grabbed them for you, only 5 miles away from me
:doh: :brickwall: :D

Never mind, i have speakers coming out of my ears Jon :eyebrows: Good price though, very good considering the performance!

Alex_UK
06-05-2011, 19:50
i have speakers coming out of my ears Jon

That'll explain why you've got back ache, then! ;)

Reid Malenfant
06-05-2011, 19:53
:lolsign: Nice one Alex ;)

Jac Hawk
06-05-2011, 19:57
I was looking for a a record brush , i live near a quarry and to say that my place suffers from a bit of dust is a massive understatement, i need to dust nearly every day, anyway i was on our favorite auction site and got this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130514563256&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130514563256&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT)now i wasn't expecting much as it was cheap, but i was hoping for something a little better than the velvet thing that i had, which seemed to just move the dust from one part of the lp and leave it in another. Anyway :eek:wow:eek: what a difference, the brush itself is quite small and the bristles are carbon fibre and really fine, but the amount of crap it shifted was amazing, it lifted all the loose stuff off the record so the music sounded as good on the last track as it did on the first, a real bargin:)

Alex_UK
06-05-2011, 20:11
They're not bad at all Mike, I used one until I succumbed to the Furutech one.

Jac Hawk
06-05-2011, 20:18
They're not bad at all Mike, I used one until I succumbed to the Furutech one.

well i'm as happy as a dog with 2 dicks right now :) not only have i got my little brush, but my step father, who is really great at making things, is drawing up plans for an RCM he's going to build me, can life get much better:)

Dingdong
08-05-2011, 07:37
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290561329754&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

These are really rather excellent for the money they go for. I love mine.

Alex_UK
08-05-2011, 09:34
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/23-Assorted-Tonearm-Headshells-complete-Cartridges-/150602171083?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231096c2cb#ht_500wt_1156

Any hidden gems in this little lot...?

The Vinyl Adventure
08-05-2011, 10:21
My sansui could represent a nice bargain should it not get any more interest in the next few hours

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sansui-TU-317-Am-fm-Tuner_W0QQitemZ250813105704QQcategoryZ22636QQvarZQ QcmdZViewItem

Spectral Morn
10-05-2011, 15:33
My sansui could represent a nice bargain should it not get any more interest in the next few hours

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sansui-TU-317-Am-fm-Tuner_W0QQitemZ250813105704QQcategoryZ22636QQvarZQ QcmdZViewItem

Umm you were robbed Hamish imho. That should have sold for £40 to £65 or thereabouts, especially as you have the rack mounts.

Regards D S D L

The Grand Wazoo
10-05-2011, 17:57
Funky speakers!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NH-Speakers-SPT-501-UFO-Sputnik-Vintage-1960s-Space-Age-/300555404583?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item45fa7f8527#ht_1575wt_1139

.....'exotic' price!!

Jac Hawk
14-05-2011, 11:13
Am I getting too old or do these seem a little steep http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nagaoka-BN-7-Silver-Cartridge-Mounting-Screw-Kit-/230618497792?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b1ef0300 i'm sure i could get them a lot cheaper

hifi_dave
14-05-2011, 11:28
So many things are far toooooo expensive to my mind. The most expensive part of those mounting screws is the packaging and that is only a few pence.:doh:

Jac Hawk
14-05-2011, 11:38
So many things are far toooooo expensive to my mind. The most expensive part of those mounting screws is the packaging and that is only a few pence.:doh:

Could you imagin a punter coming into your place, asking for some cartridge screws, and you saying " there you go mate £10.50 please" how do these people sleep at night.............on a mattress made of money i'll bet.

Just realised he wants £1.49 to post em :eek:

hifi_dave
14-05-2011, 12:47
Well, I wouldn't be supplying 'aluminium' screws in the first instance...:scratch:

Marco
14-05-2011, 23:31
This is a really nice pre/power for the money, and would piss all over much of the stuff made now (from the days when Technics made top-notch separates):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Technics-SU-A900DM2-HIFI-Control-Power-Amplifier-/250817084669?_trksid=e17000.m1374&_trkparms=algo%3DPI%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D 6%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D9155112538324949238

Love those gorgeous VU meters!!

Great for driving difficult speaker loads, capable of subtlety, too, and they have plenty of balls to rock da house :fingers:

If they go for under £300, someone's got a serious bargain, as they look minto.

Marco.

Jonboy
15-05-2011, 00:04
This is a really nice pre/power for the money, and would piss all over much of the stuff made now (from the days when Technics made top-notch separates):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Technics-SU-A900DM2-HIFI-Control-Power-Amplifier-/250817084669?_trksid=e17000.m1374&_trkparms=algo%3DPI%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D 6%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D9155112538324949238

Love those gorgeous VU meters!!

Great for driving difficult speaker loads, capable of subtlety, too, and they have plenty of balls to rock da house :fingers:

If they go for under £300, someone's got a serious bargain, as they look minto.

Marco.

i very nearly bought something very simular at the Audiojumble this year,

Vu meters..... Je T'Aime

John
15-05-2011, 04:11
Looking at the add you need to be clear with the seller if its just the power amp or both as uses bold red to say just power amp and then goes onto to talk about both units

spendorman
15-05-2011, 07:22
Possibly a bargain at the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NAD-310-Stereo-Amplifier-/270746395503?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D9162715715989567055

spendorman
15-05-2011, 07:24
Definitely a bargain at the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120722529427&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Never owned one of these, always wanted to try. My brother bought one when they first came out, been perfect. He offered to give to me a while back, seems to have changed his mind!

spendorman
15-05-2011, 07:37
Brings back memories, I had the earlier Richard Allan A21

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JE-Sugden-A21-Class-Integrated-Amp-/300555515211?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item45fa81354b

spendorman
15-05-2011, 07:39
Matching tuner!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/J-E-Sugden-R21-stereo-FM-Tuner-/190532409846?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Tuners&hash=item2c5c9dd9f6

Rare Bird
15-05-2011, 21:31
Never liked those press buttons Alex ;) , probably the reason i never liked the Leak 'Stereo 70'..

Techno Commander
17-05-2011, 18:54
Very nice Luxman integrated (http://cgi.ebay.de/Luxman-L-81-/300557181875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item45fa9aa3b3) still at sensible money.

The Grand Wazoo
17-05-2011, 19:18
Very nice Luxman integrated still at sensible money.

Have you ever noticed that Google translates the number of bids on German Ebay as 'Commandments'!!!

Reid Malenfant
17-05-2011, 19:26
Have you ever noticed that Google translates the number of bids on German Ebay as 'Commandments'!!!
Babelfish translates it as "requirements" :lol:

Rare Bird
18-05-2011, 12:31
Another pair of my all time fave 70's headphones a stonking £6.50 :eyebrows:

Marco
18-05-2011, 12:45
Which ones are they, dude - Ross? :)

Marco.

spendorman
18-05-2011, 15:02
He's replaced the surrounds that rot out on these Vifa units.

Should be good speakers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120726133534&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Cabinets need some work.

spendorman
18-05-2011, 15:38
Well made good sounding powerful amp:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170642696607&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

One wrong knob on it.

Effem
18-05-2011, 18:47
I like ambition and tenacity, but . . . . . . .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rotel-RA-210-/140550748269?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item20b97a386d#ht_500wt_1156

spendorman
18-05-2011, 18:52

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rotel-RA-210-/140550748269?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item20b97a386d#ht_500wt_1156

Bargain, £4.75. My best friend lives in Sheffield. Perhaps he can collect it for me.

Oh dear, £475!!! A tad overpriced!

spendorman
18-05-2011, 18:54
This ended up not being such a bargain:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JE-Sugden-A21-Class-Integrated-Amp-/300555515211?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item45fa81354b&clk_rvr_id=233294887661&afsrc=1

prestonchipfryer
18-05-2011, 19:00

Well I'm sure I had one of those in the 70's, trouble is it's such a long time ago. And FFS what are they thinking of? Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo. :rofl:

prestonchipfryer
18-05-2011, 19:03
This is ambitious, it's been on for quite a while.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/trio-kenwood-kd550-turntable-pickering-cartridge-/270738829264?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=item3f094aafd0

Effem
18-05-2011, 19:11
I too have fancied a KD550 many times. Last time I did some serious looking they were fetching around £60 - £80, so a price tag of £265 will only generate a huge wave of apathy at that price :scratch:

Effem
18-05-2011, 19:15
Well I'm sure I had one of those in the 70's, trouble is it's such a long time ago. And FFS what are they thinking of? Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo. :rofl:

I had a Rotel RA310 as my very first hi-fi amp so I get a bit nostalgic when I see one for sale - only at around the fiver mark mind you :lol:

It didn't have a lot of power, it didn't seem too light on it's feet in the sound stakes, the speaker terminals were abysmal but wait for this . . . . . little tiny lamps that showed which source was selected. True, I jest not folks, it was a revelation way back in the early 70's :eyebrows:

Rare Bird
18-05-2011, 21:23
The Rotel '100' is my favorite Rotel amp, but the last models i'll entertain are:
'RA310', 'RA610' Amps..'RX200', 'RX400' Recievers & 'RT320' AM/FM Tuner

My 'RA310' cost me £8.00 & the 'RA610' £16.00

spendorman
22-05-2011, 14:58
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230622101913&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Macca
22-05-2011, 18:06
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230622101913&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Pricing was a little optimistic IMHO...

Rare Bird
22-05-2011, 18:37
All black woofers by the look of it , nice speakers those 'DM4'..

Reid Malenfant
22-05-2011, 18:45
All black woofers by the look of it , nice speakers those 'DM4'..
Looked to be in excellent condition as well :) Though one looked a little sun bleached compared to the other..

spendorman
22-05-2011, 18:46
Pricing was a little optimistic IMHO...

I would have agreed with that a while ago, but as Spendor BC1's are now fetching over £300, and I prefer the DM4, they are pretty good value.

Rare Bird
22-05-2011, 18:53
I totally dislike 'BC-1'..much prefer the B&W's i wish i kept both my 'DM2a' & 'DM4's

spendorman
22-05-2011, 18:58
I totally dislike 'BC-1'..much prefer the B&W's i wish i kept both my 'DM2a' & 'DM4's

At the moment, I have a pair of DM4's running, fed from the Quad 303 (with the increased output stage bias) and that is fed from the pre out of a NAD 3130. Amongst the best sounds that I've had.

spendorman
22-05-2011, 18:59

Sacrilege, do I recall that you broke up the DM2a's?

spendorman
22-05-2011, 19:03
To be fair, I broke up a pair of DM2's, they were nearly twice as heavy as standard ones. The cabinets were poor and the previous owner covered the original cabinets with 3/4" solid pine.

This made them even bigger as well as heavier!

Rare Bird
22-05-2011, 19:49
Sacrilege, do I recall that you broke up the DM2a's?

I'm sorry to say i did :o

spendorman
22-05-2011, 20:23
I'm sorry to say i did :o

A pair of my DM2's or DM2a's and a pair of Ditton 44 will be coming up to Sheffield, I'm giving to my friend. It's a sort of trade, he's going to cut down a tree in my garden. It has to be done, tree is too near house.

Rare Bird
22-05-2011, 20:32
Does your friend still have the Monitor Audio 'MA4'?

spendorman
22-05-2011, 20:40
Does your friend still have the Monitor Audio 'MA4'?

Unfortunately, he broke them up, was putting the units on ebay. Might even have done it today.

I reckon that the DM4 8" is a better sounding unit than the KEF B200

Rare Bird
22-05-2011, 20:43
Unfortunately, he broke them up, was putting the units on ebay. Might even have done it today.

I reckon that the DM4 8" is a better sounding unit than the KEF B200

I think so, my fav 8'' was the Mordaunt Short 'DSB208'

Shame about the 'MA4' i like those speakers i'm a bit of an Isophon fan

spendorman
22-05-2011, 20:51
I think so, my fav 8'' was the Mordaunt Short 'DSB208'

Shame about the 'MA4' i like those speakers i'm a bit of an Isophon fan

He found the MA4 a bit too coloured compared with LS3/5a, I've never heard the Isophon KK8 properly.

An interesting tweeter was the EMI dome fitted to the MA7, very rare. Has a very crisp, clear, but not tiring tone.

Rare Bird
22-05-2011, 21:19
Falcon do a couple of Crossovers for Kef/Isophon combos..

spendorman
22-05-2011, 21:33
Falcon do a couple of Crossovers for Kef/Isophon combos..

My friend probably still has the MA crossovers for the B200/Isophon, if you want them

Rare Bird
22-05-2011, 21:38
My friend probably still has the MA crossovers for the B200/Isophon, if you want them

It's ok i just thought you may want to give the Isophon a go with B200 or B139 you have.

I can get cracking with the Mordaunt Short 'DSB208'/Isophon crossovers when the inductors decide to land from Denmark..

spendorman
22-05-2011, 21:47
It's ok i just thought you may want to give the Isophon a go with B200 or B139 you have.

I can get cracking with the Mordaunt Short 'DSB208'/Isophon crossovers when the inductors decide to land from Denmark..

Have you got KK8 tweeters? My friend may still have his.

Rare Bird
22-05-2011, 21:50
Have you got KK8 tweeters? My friend may still have his.

Yes i have 3 sets the same as the ones used in the MA's..

Alex_UK
22-05-2011, 21:58
(Love the video (and music!) in your signature, Andre. :))

Rare Bird
22-05-2011, 22:02

John
23-05-2011, 07:41
When I was in band I wanted us to open up with Stingray intro theme and do a HM cover of Everybody wants to be a cat but got out voted Lol

Rare Bird
23-05-2011, 10:48
Some sellers don't half wind me up with pure crap excuses they come out with, some examples below from just this month

Q: Are there any marks at all on the facia please?

A: Well considering it's age i'd say it's a nice example! (Maybe so, but i still want an honest answer to the question i asked)

A: Taking into account it's over 40 years of age i'd say it's been well looked after! (I hope so now please a straight answer)

A: If you want new i sugest you go buy new! (Er dummy it's a specific model that's not been in production for 40 years, besides i wouldnt be dead buying any crap produced these days)

A: Are you being serious? (Painfully so, again is there any marks on the faica please?)

A: I think that the odd mark here & there is to be expected considering it's age don't you? (No not really, if it's been looked after)

I very rarely get a straight answer from them, you ask for high res shot through E-Mail they always make excuse. I'm sorry but i do not see the logic in any of the answers i get, i have amps this age that are in show room condition, i understand that some items maybe 2nd or 3rd hand users & maybe do have marks on them but it's no excuse for excuses, the items are either got scratches/marks or they havent..

Jac Hawk
23-05-2011, 11:04
Easy Tiger:lolsign: Someone rubbed you up the wrong way today mate?
Joking aside though, you're right, if it has a scratch or it's faded say so

Beobloke
23-05-2011, 12:08
Here y'go Andre, here's something old but brand new for you.

Worth every penny, I'm sure.........;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIONEER-SX-1980-nr-Mint-UNUSED-27-yr-Rare-Fin-Cover-/170643124838?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Amplifiers&hash=item27bb1f7266

Jac Hawk
23-05-2011, 12:17
Here y'go Andre, here's something old but brand new for you.

Worth every penny, I'm sure.........;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIONEER-SX-1980-nr-Mint-UNUSED-27-yr-Rare-Fin-Cover-/170643124838?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Amplifiers&hash=item27bb1f7266

Am I missing something here :scratch: it does say £7500 and not £7.50 or £75 where do these Muppets get there prices from:scratch:

Macca
23-05-2011, 12:23
Am I missing something here :scratch: it does say £7500 and not £7.50 or £75 where do these Muppets get there prices from:scratch:

Yeah that was a double-take moment:mental: £7.5K for an old Pioneer Receiver? - its not even mint by his own admission and who cares if it has the frikkin heat sink covers. La La land.

Looks nice I'd offer £120 and that's generous.

Rare Bird
23-05-2011, 12:27
'SX198' was a very good reciever back in '78, expensive aswell, todays equivillent of say around £3600.00!..not my cuppa tho all the same

Jac Hawk
23-05-2011, 12:39
ahhhhhh it comes with a spare set of original capacitors, but he reckons you won't need to use them for another 10 to 15 years, that'll explain the asking price then:rofl::lolsign:

Macca
23-05-2011, 12:44
ahhhhhh it comes with a spare set of original capacitors, but he reckons you won't need to use them for another 10 to 15 years, that'll explain the asking price then:rofl::lolsign:

What it is - he's seen that Princes Bea hat go for £80K and thought 'I'll have a slice of that action' - now if it was Princess Diana's old Pioneer that she used to listen to Duran Duran on then maybe that would be a more realistic price:eyebrows:

Jac Hawk
23-05-2011, 12:54
What it is - he's seen that Princes Bea hat go for £80K and thought 'I'll have a slice of that action' - now if it was Princess Diana's old Pioneer that she used to listen to Duran Duran on then maybe that would be a more realistic price:eyebrows:

What you mean it isn't:eek: ffs better retract my offer then :lolsign:

Macca
23-05-2011, 12:56
What you mean it isn't:eek: ffs better retract my offer then :lolsign:

:lolsign: Yeah after £80K for the hat you're all spent out anyway.:lol:

Jac Hawk
23-05-2011, 13:02
Seriously though, I noticed that he's had 7 offers for it, I would love to know what's been offered:eyebrows:

keiths
23-05-2011, 13:51
Postage and packing is a bit of a bargain as well...

Jac Hawk
23-05-2011, 14:02
just noticed the delivery charge keith, i suppose he thinks everyone lives on the moon, so in that case it's reasonable, i mean yer gonna need a rocket and hiring NASA is expensive these days:lolsign:

have you seen his other stuff, he wants £950 for a marantz receiver, which i guess is a bargain in his eyes:eek:

nat8808
23-05-2011, 15:01
Off on a different tack here, but has anyone ever considered a laboratory DC power supply for their gear, like one by HP or TTi etc?

They seem to go, or even not sell, for around £30 - £45 and are surely highly highly regulated to the extreme! Must be good for DACs etc..

Such as this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Power-Supply-HP-6825A-/200604135019 (OK, this one isn't tested but often they are).

They are normally multi hundred ££ units.. and surely better than any 'super reg' for 3 times the price?

A current auction: A Thurlby Dual supply (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Thurlby-PL320-Dual-Power-Supply-/130521287608) - try connecting one side to the digital section and the other to the analogue section of your modded CD plater...

spendorman
23-05-2011, 15:09
Good speakers, but condition is not brilliant, nor is the price.

6"EMI + EMI hard dome tweeter.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400218007048&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Jac Hawk
23-05-2011, 15:19
Off on a different tack here, but has anyone ever considered a laboratory DC power supply for their gear, like one by HP or TTi etc?

They seem to go, or even not sell, for around £30 - £45 and are surely highly highly regulated to the extreme! Must be good for DACs etc..

Such as this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Power-Supply-HP-6825A-/200604135019 (OK, this one isn't tested but often they are).

They are normally multi hundred ££ units.. and surely better than any 'super reg' for 3 times the price?

A current auction: A Thurlby Dual supply (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Thurlby-PL320-Dual-Power-Supply-/130521287608) - try connecting one side to the digital section and the other to the analogue section of your modded CD plater...

as long as they can be adjusted to the correct output for your needs i don't see why not, IMHO anything audiophile related is expensive and in some cases it isn't justified, this may be one of those times;)

spendorman
23-05-2011, 15:52
Never tried this model early Teleton amp. All the models I have tried are pretty good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270753111750&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Andr'e, see the rocker switches

Rare Bird
23-05-2011, 17:59

spendorman
23-05-2011, 18:05
Plenty of sound for the money:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130521632834&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

Reid Malenfant
23-05-2011, 18:33
No kidding :eek: As usual collection only... :rolleyes:

Jac Hawk
23-05-2011, 18:50
No kidding :eek: As usual collection only... :rolleyes:

Bloody Typical:doh:

Pete The Cat
23-05-2011, 19:45
Do my eyes deceive or have the domes on the monitor drivers been pushed in ?

Pete

Reid Malenfant
23-05-2011, 19:50
Do my eyes deceive or have the domes on the monitor drivers been pushed in ?

Pete
Looks like they are sunk below the faceplate, admittedly the pic could be bigger ;)

Hard to tell in al honesty but i don't think so..

Rare Bird
23-05-2011, 19:56
Regardless a landfill wouldnt go a miss

Reid Malenfant
23-05-2011, 20:04
Regardless a landfill wouldnt go a miss
:lol: Andre - straight to the point :eyebrows:

I'm sure they should be good for £10 though :)

Pete The Cat
23-05-2011, 20:32
Thank God that's over, they went for just £10 in the end. I've been sat here for half the evening fighting temptation to pitch in and bowl across the county to collect them. Must avoid reading these threads in future...

Pete

Rare Bird
24-05-2011, 18:15
My hand slipped on the BIN again :lolsign:

Got myself a loverly 1988 Technics 'SL-P770' CD spinner , be nice to use this as a transport. :eyebrows:

spendorman
24-05-2011, 18:20

Got myself a loverly 1988 Technics 'SL-P770' CD spinner , be nice to use this as a transport. :eyebrows:

You will have to get that finger fixed, or you will end up like me!

Rare Bird
25-05-2011, 09:33
Too late it happend a long time ago :lolsign:

spendorman
25-05-2011, 18:09
KEF T27 tweeters in these, and considering their increasing value these day, not too bad a price:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230626344724&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Beobloke
26-05-2011, 09:37
Stormingly good little speakers IMHO. Sadly mine were banished from the dining room on aesthetic grounds. :(

spendorman
26-05-2011, 09:48
Stormingly good little speakers IMHO. Sadly mine were banished from the dining room on aesthetic grounds. :(

Tangent RS2, have two pairs of them, yes not bad at all.

spendorman
26-05-2011, 09:49
This is a bargain, mine just arrived.

Works fine:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390171973976&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Rare Bird
26-05-2011, 10:04
I like Tangent only owned 'RS6'

Alex
Have you got a link to a cheap capacitance meter with Inductor reading, i bought one a bit back but never worked :(

spendorman
26-05-2011, 10:06
I like Tangent only owned 'RS6'

Alex
Have you got a link to a cheap capacitence meter with Inductor reading, i bought one a bit back but never worked :(

Yes, my one is fine.

Looking for the seller.

spendorman
26-05-2011, 10:18
This is the seller.

This one looks very much like mine, but only does capacitance;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Capacitance-meter-capacitor-/290559757536?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Amplifiers&hash=item43a6b60ce0

Might be worth contacting the seller to see if he can supply other versions.

Looked through, none look like mine:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253 A1%257C72%253A4906&rt=nc&_nkw=inductance+meter&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

Rare Bird
26-05-2011, 15:45
It's the inductance side i want

spendorman
26-05-2011, 15:49
It's the inductance side i want

I know

This ones says from UK, if true will be easier to return if faulty.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LCR-Inductance-Capacitance-Digital-Multi-meter-RCL-M05-/190532224834?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement _Equipment_ET&hash=item2c5c9b0742

keiths
26-05-2011, 16:00
I know

This ones says from UK, if true will be easier to return if faulty.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LCR-Inductance-Capacitance-Digital-Multi-meter-RCL-M05-/190532224834?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement _Equipment_ET&hash=item2c5c9b0742

Looking at their negative feedback (of which there is quite a bit), it would appear that they ship from Hong Kong

Macca
28-05-2011, 11:45
Would this be any good as a back up deck?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-PS-212A-Direct-Drive-Turntable-/130525073705?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=item1e63e69129

Spur07
28-05-2011, 12:10

is that what you tell the wife :lol:

Rare Bird
28-05-2011, 12:42
:lolsign:

The Grand Wazoo
28-05-2011, 23:40
I just thought some folks might chuckle if they had a read of this:

My ex Brother-in-Law's shit record collection
Jazz funk, soul, disco, bollocks. 50 discs 12" & LP

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/290570522953#ht_1885wt_1179

..........nowt to do with me!

Rare Bird
29-05-2011, 00:40

:D That was funny

MartinT
29-05-2011, 04:39
I just could not bring myself to dirty my stylus with this bollocks

That was hilarious! :lol:

Spur07
29-05-2011, 09:02

best of british :lol:

Spectral Morn
29-05-2011, 09:44
I hate to say it but the listing is fairly accurate re the 'shit' bit (imho of course) :lol::lol::lol:

Regards D S D L

DSJR
29-05-2011, 09:50
I hated the Shakatack singles with a vengeance, but their albums weren't bad at all, and rather more mature in feel - IMO :)

Jac Hawk
29-05-2011, 12:09
Well i nearly pissed myself laughing:rofl::rofl: at the listing :lolsign:

Anyway just a couple of days ago my faith in the sellers on ebay was restored, how i hear you all ask, well i'll tell you, quite simply i bought an LP, the seller gave it a very accurate description, didn't embellish it with Rare or vintage or any crap like that, he just told something they used to call the truth, then when it came to p&p he actually charged a really great price, so all told the LP cost me 99p and p&p was only £1.80, the seller had it in the post the day after the end of the sale and i received it the day after that :eek:, all i can think is that he drinks too much Carlsberg and takes their adverts literally:)

Alex_UK
29-05-2011, 13:26
Brilliant listing! Great find, Chris!

The Grand Wazoo
29-05-2011, 17:46

This listing has been removed now - 134,334 people looked at it!!!
But I reckon it needs to be preserved for posterity. So I managed to get a cached version & here's the wording.

You are bidding on a collection of 50 (approx) 12" singles and LPs of crap music.

My sister found these in her attic last weekend, where they has been sat gathering dust for the last couple of decades. They used to belong to her ex-husband, who is one of the biggest arseholes ever to draw breath. I never liked the wanker, and based my initial antipathy towards him on his taste in music. Not to put too fine a point on it, he was that most contemptible form of pond life, a Jazz Funker. This meant that as well as shit taste in music, he had appalling taste in clothes too. Pringle jumpers, pleated Farrahs, shoes that looked like pasties, white socks, revolting shirts and a comical wedge-cut hairdon't. Add to this 80s fashion horrorshow a Ford Capri and Super Mario-style moustache underlining his bulbous nose, and you get an object lesson in twatdom. No wonder Northern Soul fans (and everyone else) treated the Jazz Funk fans with sneering comntempt.

I couldn't comprehend what on earth my usually sensible sister could possibly see in the pillock. In vain I pleaded with her to send him packing. My argument that his hankering for Earth Wind & Fire records and attendance at soul weekenders made him a poor choice of mate was waved away as the rantings of a callow youth. She felt my reasoning was unsound.

Reader, she married him.

He made her life miserable for a few years with his moping, moody belligerence (and playing horrendous records like these). He told her lies and generally behaved like a platinum c*nt. Then he dumped her for his mistress when my sister was four months pregnant.

It's now nearly 20 years later and I would still like to take a meat tenderizer to his face. But his most horrendous crime, worse than wiring up my granny's shower so it was electrically live, worse even than his infidelity or the awful way he treated my sister, was the fact that he actually liked the abomination known as Jazz Funk. Here is the evidence. What a bastard.

Well, I suppose I'd better tell you what's for sale, though why you would actually want to own this dreck is beyond me. It's basically music for people who have a deep-seated hatred of music and want to inflict their pain on the world. But here goes nothing.

List............

I mean, Shakatak for fucks sake. What a prick. And surely he must have realised that buying anything by Shalimar would open him up to ridicule. Even those bands' mothers couldn't bear to listen to that stuff. I know I couldn't. None of this is play graded, only visually. I just could not bring myself to dirty my stylus with this bollocks.

Boring stuff: - I grade conservatively, particularly when I don't like the records. Don't ask me to split this lot. You buy it, you buy all of it and pay the shipping. I'm not keeping it in my house any longer than strictly neccessary. For the same reason, no returns. I don't want it back. Shipping in UK is £15 because the weight is approx 10kg . I'm willing to ship overseas at cost, but it's likely to be expensive (maybe £45 in europe) and frankly this crap isn't worth the stamps. If you want to collect from Croydon, that's OK but I will look at you with a contemptuous sneer as you stand in my doorway, proving by your purchase that you are tone deaf and tasteless.

Good luck, and God help you for liking this drivel.

On 28-May-11 at 08:25:42 BST, seller added the following information:
Well this has all gone a bit crazy. In a very nice way - I haven't stopped laughing yet! In less than 24 hours over 11,000 have viewed this auction. I'm amazed.

If you are wondering what my own taste in music is like, check out The Rockabilly DJ Show at www.rockabillyDJ.com where there are over 150 hours of my radio show in the archive. You will probably decide that the old proverb about stones and glass houses is strangely relevant.

Thanks for joining in the fun and helping this silly little bit of revenge go viral. Keep smiling...and bidding!

Tim
29-05-2011, 17:52
:lolsign: well done for finding the cached version Chris....

I work with a Jazz Funker, can't wait to show it to him :eyebrows:

Techno Commander
29-05-2011, 21:02
Priceless. :)

Spur07
30-05-2011, 08:55
some of the questions/comments he received below were even funnier:

....we'll always have Grimsby!

The Grand Wazoo
30-05-2011, 09:12
some of the questions/comments he received below were even funnier:

....we'll always have Grimsby!

Yes, I tried to capture those, but couldn't find the cached versions.

EDIT:
Got 'em!!!!

Question & Answer
Q: hi, shipping won't be necessary, but thanks for the offer. I only wish I dare bid, out of support and respect for such laudable behaviour. And thanks for what has been the high point of my day. The very best of British sir ! this listing could become legendary, and I for one hope it does ! 28-May-11
A: Thanks

Q: I haven't got a question I just want to say thank you very much for the entertaining description of the horrible bastard brother in law, it was great, it made me laugh out loud. Your ex brother in law sounds repulsive, I hope you make loadsa money from his bad taste music. Good luck. PS I love rockabilly music too. : ) PPS, I'm sure you must be by now aware that this is travelling round Facebook. I'd like to hear you do the commentating on 'come dine with me', ha ha.... 28-May-11
A: Just noticed that the link has been shard on FB over 16000 times

Q: Without doubt, the best listing description I have ever read! Thank-you for making a potentially dismal weekend truly hilarious! Cheers Bernie 28-May-11
A: ;)

Q: I think your story is really moving in a funny sort of way and I'm so glad, reading the other answers, that your sister is in a better situation now. I'm just curious to know, did he buy the records before they got married or after? You'd think she would have realised... 28-May-11
A: I think a lot of them were purchased at the Caister weekender in 1981, a year or two before they were married. That was the warning signal as far as I was concerned, but I failed to convince her with my logic.

Q: Just want to point out that most of this stuff isn't even Jazz Funk... and it was the nothern soulers and 7O's football hooligans that dressed like that... (except for the shoes)... but what's to be expected from a Rockabilly DJ... (I do like some rockabilly.. :P) good luck selling this dross... though there are a few good tracks in there... former Jazz Funker 28-May-11
A: So he was a plastic wannabe? No surprise there

Q: I hope the Ford Capri was gold ... that would complete the image perfectly 28-May-11
A: Can't remember the colour

Q: I want to congratulate you on your revenge auction. This truly is amazing! But your right what the fuck was he thinking!? I'd rather gouge my own eyes and ears out with a rusty blunt spoon than buy that shite :-D x 28-May-11
A: What he said

Q: OMG! My EX (thankfully) used to wear PASTY shoes! He was a teacher, and the kids used to call him by his pasty shoes! PMSL 28-May-11
A: LOL!

Q: ...three humorous ebay listings that I have read; all three have been UK listings. Firefox has a way of saving a web page so I have saved this auction. Thanks for cheering up my day. 28-May-11
A: Our TV is largely junk, so we have to make our own entertainment
Q: OMG, I'v just laughed so hard a little bit of pee came out, i wish your sister all the happiness in her new life, but as for that pile of plastic your ex-brother-in-law called music, you can keep it, you should have a wed page 28-May-11
A: A web page might be better. I've got one of those, see the listing update.

Q: you're dissing your ex brother in laws musical taste, yet you live in croydon, you know what they say about people, stones and glasshouses. you need to change your listing, most of these records aren't jazz funk they're 70s and 80s pop, then again coming from croydon its easily understandable how you got confused. 28-May-11
A: Yeah, that's what I hate too. People who live in places. That place is rubbish, so they must be rubbish too. And their taste. Ha, that told them! Thanks for pointing it out, have you thought about going into inspirational public speaking?

Q: I would bid but I think you have probably urinated on them at some stage plus the collection is missing classics from Imagination like 'Body Talk', 'Music and Lights', 'Flashback' and 'Just an Illusion' - You brother in-law wasn't a complete toss pot then! lol 28-May-11
A: Oh great. Thanks. Now I have got the back catalogue of Imagination stuck in my brain. Aarghh (again)

Q: I think I want to marry you! 28-May-11
A: Can you imagine what I would auction when we split up? No! It can never be my darling, for your sake as well as mine. But...we will always have Grimsby

Q: Thanks for this - ive had an absolute shit day and this really cheered me up - ive pasted it on my facebook and its spreading even further - you should get paid for it!!!!! Now i know what to do with my loser wanker ex-boyfriends stuff instead of burning it!!!! Thanks again J x 28-May-11
A: I think there will be a few folks following this idea

Q: Are you aware that you are a genius? My mum posted this to me on FB, so I shared it with my boyfriend and best mate... too funny for words :-) I hope you make a fortune from this! 28-May-11
A: Life has made me painfully aware that 'genius' is not one of my major problems

Q: Mate this has brightened up my day considering the crap ebay have caused with the changes to the site. Fantastic. 28-May-11
A: Spread a little happiness as you go by (oh my)

Q: As the others already mentioned by far the best listing on ebay ever. Good luck from Greece mate!! 28-May-11
A: Menin Aiede thea, geezer

Q: This is the funniest Ebay listing I've ever read. 28-May-11
A: .

Q: wow! this is absolute class, you are so talented, as a comdedian i mean...good luck. laughing my tits off!!! 28-May-11
A: It's the way I tell 'em

Q: Wording this listing must have felt bloody wonderful....I congratulate you and only wish I could buy you a beer :) 28-May-11
A: Cathartic is the word. And I probably don't need any more beer, but thanks for the offer.

There are five more pages of them but I really can't seem to get at those ones.

Rare Bird
30-05-2011, 11:25
A man after my own heart i say

spendorman
30-05-2011, 12:29
I reckon was a bargain for someone:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230625132293&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

Spectral Morn
30-05-2011, 12:52
Well done Chris....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Saved for posterity.

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
30-05-2011, 18:02
Listed under -> Home Audio -> Remote Controls -be quick! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Good-Condition-Spong-Style-Suction-Mincer-/110688799366?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Remote Controls&hash=item19c5910a86#ht_600wt_1139

Tim
30-05-2011, 18:06
Listed under -> Home Audio -> Remote Controls -be quick! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Good-Condition-Spong-Style-Suction-Mincer-/110688799366?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Remote Controls&hash=item19c5910a86#ht_600wt_1139
Ahh see, what you do is attach some soft rubber tubing to the end and this then attaches to the volume control, turn the handle and hey presto :)

Alex_UK
30-05-2011, 19:15
No idea what this will sound like, but had a hankering to own an early CD player - I never bothered with CD until 1991, and then only half-heartedly, so missed out on the early players... Just a bit of fun, really, and maybe in my Cheap as Chips system...?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230627119412&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_633wt_1139

Reid Malenfant
30-05-2011, 19:19
Boy oh boy oh boy... Just take a look at that digital output :scratch: I guess this was prior to S/PDIF being created :eyebrows:

MartinT
30-05-2011, 19:28
Watch laser life! I love the strapline "linear servo system". Just like, umm, all the other players :)

Just spotted "Minute Indicated Search" :lol:

Meant to add, a friend of mine had a first generation Hitachi CD player. The inside was festooned with adjustment pots. Methinks it took them a while to create all the self-centering circuitry required. Tweaking that would be a nightmare :(

Rare Bird
30-05-2011, 19:46
I prefered the black 'PD-5010' looked much better. No, no digital outputs on that machine Mark.

Alex: Why were you so late with CD, i was there in the mid 80's, i bought the Mission 'DAD7000' & Meridian 'MCD PRO'.. both stonking machines & left me penniless to boot. I love 1st generation machines, the DAC's sound so much better to me..Lazers just seem to last foreever

Alex_UK
30-05-2011, 19:52
Watch laser life! I love the strapline "linear servo system". Just like, umm, all the other players :)

Just spotted "Minute Indicated Search" :lol:

Meant to add, a friend of mine had a first generation Hitachi CD player. The inside was festooned with adjustment pots. Methinks it took them a while to create all the self-centering circuitry required. Tweaking that would be a nightmare :(

Mainly acquired as "museum piece" Martin, so if it plays at all it will be a bonus! :)

MartinT
30-05-2011, 19:52
My first machine was the Philips CD-104 that the Mission was based on. A fine and well-built player.

Reid Malenfant
30-05-2011, 19:54
I prefered the black 'PD-5010' looked much better. No, no digital outputs on that machine Mark.
Please check the pics Andr'e, i have no other explanation of what "subcode out" could possibly be for? :scratch:

DSJR
30-05-2011, 19:55
My first CD player purchase was an MCD-Pro - nearly bankrupted me with the discs to feed it too..... Loads of air but all in the plane of the speakers. Things moved on very quickly back then and in just three years we had the Sony 555ES and brethren, Marantz CD94 and clones and the Pioneer PD-91, all of which sounding rather better from memory.

Alex_UK
30-05-2011, 19:56
I prefered the black 'PD-5010' looked much better.

Don't disagree with that Andre, but I specifically wanted silver to match the amp I will be using it with.

Alex: Why were you so late with CD

I was DJ'ing up until 1993, and not many clubs (or my mobile kit) had moved to CD, so I was still happy buying vinyl. Plus, my trusty 401 was my main source at home, so I was quite happy with records...