PDA

View Full Version : A trip to mad moons gaff

vinyljunky
13-03-2016, 19:27
Took a trip to mad moons gaff Saturday with my mate Pete a fellow forum member the main aim was to pay for some cables before he sent the boys round.Anyhow I took my recently acquired denon poa 4400 monoblocks as a bit of an experiment to see how they would sound in al's system.We got there and al being the wonderful host supplied us with tea and coffee top fella.Anyhow we started the evening off with al's system the way it is with his home brew power amp forte audio pre rega dac Cambridge audio streamer logic dm101 deck.We streamed some music from his nas drive through the Cambridge the highlight being an ry cooder track it was sublime plenty of detail good treble extension nice deep bass.Everyone agreed the sound was up to the usual standard.Then we pressed into service my denons these were put on some one-off steel monoblock stands from partington.The music was still being streamed from the nas drive.Then oh my god a wow moment the sound may have been good before but these denons took it into the stratosphere incredible then al notice that the sound coming out of the left channel was not as good as that of the right a bit of head scratching ensued then we noticed that al had plugged the left monoblock directly into the wall so this was the plugged into the isotek mains wow religious experiences all round.The highs were not harsh creamy smooth plenty of detail the bass deep tight no roll off sharp and crisp we even heard a rumble or two.The mids were sublime and the soundstage all encompassing I've never heard synergy like this before in one system in bloody credible.It was a pleasure to sit at al's and be surrounded by all this wonderfull music thanks al ps your not getting these denons they are something special here's a few pics for you lot to perve on1640816409164101641116412ps forgot to mention al's sublime roksan darius speakers doh

struth
13-03-2016, 19:44
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/921/cy8XCL.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/921/SNjDdY.jpg

there is 2 turned for you. i did it in imageshack then re posted.

clarkey555
13-03-2016, 20:24
Got to agree with Steve I thought the synergy with the denon 4400 mono blocks forte pre and the roksan Darius speakers was no exaggeration the best system I have heard at the volume we were listening at. The lower bass ranges were massaging my neck with sublime precision and there was plenty to like in the Mids and treble frequencies. And immense focus to that was allowing so much grip and control never once straying into harshness or siblance. Al as always serving up a lovely cuppa coffee. As the night drew to a close I just didn't want to unplug everything and if I could I would have left Al kicking back enjoying the system as it was. Al I was in hmv today and bought the ry cooder album that sounded sublime last night. Hope you get a pair of the denon 4400s soon. Great night.

vinyljunky
13-03-2016, 20:25
Thanks grant

walpurgis
13-03-2016, 20:34
I've never heard synergy like this before in one system in bloody credible.

A lot of credit should be given to the Forte Model 2 pre-amp. They are a class act. Clean and ultra revealing. I sold mine about three years ago.

mad-moon
13-03-2016, 20:55
The forte Audio pre is a very, very impressive piece of kit...and the phono stage is a bit special too...This pre just gels so well with the Denon monoblocs I've just got to have a pair...My system really sounded the best it ever has with these mono's...I must add though that every upgrade I throw at these old Roksan Darius speakers..is lapped up with ease and grace..they love the power and I still think they have even more to give....I've owned 22 pairs of speakers over thelast 3 years and these Roksans..are The best.

A lot of credit should be given to the Forte Model 2 pre-amp. They are a class act. Clean and ultra revealing. I sold mine about three years ago.

RichB
13-03-2016, 21:55
Sounds like a good sesh guys.

Them roksan's are good, I've been fortunate to hear them with a variety of amps Alan's had and they are without doubt the core of what makes his system great. They just do it right.

Were the Denon's yours Steve? Sounds like you've got a bit of a rare find there. I'm quite partial to a bit of Denon having owned their integrateds myself. These sound like they're in a class of their own though.

Any of this stuff coming to NEBO by any chance?

vinyljunky
13-03-2016, 22:16
Rich I may bring the denons to nebo with a chevron pre ps I heard you were bringing something vintage and Japanese

brian2957
13-03-2016, 22:19
Look forward to that Steve :)

RichB
13-03-2016, 22:28
Rich I may bring the denons to nebo with a chevron pre ps I heard you were bringing something vintage and Japanese

Neither vintage nor Japanese Steve. It is humongous and far eastern though.:eyebrows:

struth
13-03-2016, 22:31
Neither vintage nor Japanese Steve. It is humongous and far eastern though.:eyebrows:

Ha-so! . so Is it Chinese?

RichB
13-03-2016, 23:10
Ha-so! . so Is it Chinese?

Malaysian in manufacture I believe. Anyway, subject of another thread.;) keen to hear those Denons.

mad-moon
13-03-2016, 23:21
Malaysian in manufacture I believe. Anyway, subject of another thread.;) keen to hear those Denons.

Yes it's made in Malaysia...and the Denon POA4400 monoblocs are superlative...I'm going to buy a pair...with out any fear of contraception...and If you had taken me up on my invite for the visit to mad-moons hoose...you would have heard the Denons....:ner:

RichB
14-03-2016, 14:46
Yes it's made in Malaysia...and the Denon POA4400 monoblocs are superlative...I'm going to buy a pair...with out any fear of contraception...and If you had taken me up on my invite for the visit to mad-moons hoose...you would have heard the Denons....:ner:

Sorry Al, I've just got over a bout of the lergy like. If I'd been there yous wouldn't have heard anything over my coughing and choking. Be glad I spared yous all from it.

Should have got shares in Andrex for this one.