PDA

View Full Version : The amplifier designer hall of fame (part #10) – Chris Bryant, Antony Michaelson + ..

Neil McCauley
23-02-2016, 09:45
So no, we aren't coming to the end. Not yet. (Long pause) Okay. I used to sell the Albarry monoblocs. Damn fine sound. Clever designer. Still sounds good today. Not a hero as such but worthy of an honourable mention. Then whoever designed the A&R A60. A truly great product. In its way a classic. Did they ever build anything that sounded better? Then there’s that Myst TMA3 amp. Very fine sound. Their designer or designers knew their stuff. Sadly neglected by a UK press that should have known better and sadly didn’t.

Rega?

Don’t know enough about their amps to comment. Damn clever company it seems to me. Very shrewd. Probably the shrewdest. Does Gandy ever smile though? Who else?

Quad?

Oh yes. Gotta be worth a mention here. I loved what the 306 did. Clearly not enough of the public thought likewise though. The functionality of the Mk2 44 preamp was up there with the cleverness of Meridian. Sounded pretty good too. Dreadful styling. Not surprising given that Allen Boothroyd is in a class of his own.

Can we sidetrack to discuss the work of Allen Boothroyd?

No I don’t think so. We’d be shifting focus. We’re ....

Continues @ http://www.hifianswers.com/2016/02/the-amplifier-designer-hall-of-fame-part-12-neil-mccauley-in-conversation-with-howard-popeck/