PDA

View Full Version : From the archives The writing on the wall for preamps as we know them? Probably!

Neil McCauley
19-02-2016, 14:29
Recent very positive experiences with the Benchmark DAC-1 pre and the Manley Steelhead have caused me to re-evaluate the necessity of preamps. On only very rare occasions have I ever heard a consistent and noticeable sonic improvement (predominantly bass depth and control, ambience and extreme top end detail) achieved by the inclusion of a preamp – as distinct from bypassing the pre altogether.

That was via a very rare Krell 4-box pre from the early 1980s and very recently, the Manley Neoclassic 300B. Other than this, on every occasion I have found the sound to be consistently more engaging by removing the pre. This includes my Levinson ML28, Yamaha C1, Meridian 501, 502 and 601 and various upmarket Trio/Kenwood devices – all now sold, without regret.

However, the Benchmark DAC-1 pre and the Steelhead (it has one analogue input, like the Benchmark) seem to move toward the improvement I experienced with the 4-box Krell (and 300B) and away from the slight-to-marked veiling I have heard with all the others I mentioned.The drawback of course .....

Continues @ http://www.hifianswers.com/2016/02/view-from-over-here-writing-on-wall-for-html/