PDA

View Full Version : Garrard 401 Advice and opinions please!

bernie1
17-02-2016, 09:44
Hi everyone,

I'd like some advice, I have a Garrard 401, it's as it was in the early seventies, with a standard SME 3009, and is currently in an SME plinth, all works fine, but could do with upgrading, now, I'm not a millionaire, but can scrape cash together for the right things, but some things are always going to be beyond my reach...
Anyway, here's the rub, should I keep and update the Garrard, with an up to date plinth, and an arm rewire, or would I be better selling it and buying a Michell Orbe?

It's going to cost £200.00 upwards for a plinth like one of these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garrard-401-turntable-handcrafted-plinth-natural-solid-red-acacia-/111902398031?hash=item1a0de7164f:g:C7EAAOSwDuJWvPY M,or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHERRY-SOLID-WOOD-GARRARD-401-XL-PLINTH-ZARGE-FOR-12-TONEARM-WITH-2-ARMBOARD-/182023977974?hash=item2a61797bf6:g:HAQAAOSwGotWsj6 K

and the same amount to fettle the arm, are these plinths any good, and, no, I can't run to an all singing, dancing, slate plinth, with a diamond encrusted inlay!

Thanks!
Bernie

Ali Tait
17-02-2016, 09:48
If you can find a local stonemasons or similar, you'd be surprised how cheaply a slate plinth could be made, which made a great improvement to mine. The next biggest improvement for me was a Mission 774 arm, dunno how the SME compares though.

Do you service it? Plenty of how to's on the web, and not difficult if you're handy.

bernie1
17-02-2016, 10:44
Hi, my SME works fine and is perfectly adjusted and balanced, but the wiring is pretty ropy/ 1970's ish and SME's bottom connector is right underneath the plinth which is very unhandy when it comes loose so If I keep it, I'd change it to an RCA type. I've never had a Mission though.

I have the original template, did you use that when you had the slate cut? Living in France, there are many stonemasons out here.
Bernie

walpurgis
17-02-2016, 10:45
Many will tell you to ditch the SME plinth, but it can be beefed up to sound better, should you choose to do it.

Ali Tait
17-02-2016, 15:28
Hi, my SME works fine and is perfectly adjusted and balanced, but the wiring is pretty ropy/ 1970's ish and SME's bottom connector is right underneath the plinth which is very unhandy when it comes loose so If I keep it, I'd change it to an RCA type. I've never had a Mission though.

I have the original template, did you use that when you had the slate cut? Living in France, there are many stonemasons out here.
Bernie

I didn't have it cut, a friend had it made for me. Can't see it being a problem if you have the template though. Twin tier sounds better, unless you can get a really thick piece of slate. Mine is two slabs 30mm thick.

Floyddroid
17-02-2016, 20:55
Pop a Jelco 750D on it.

Spectral Morn
18-02-2016, 08:31
Deck may need a service at least £400, the plinth, quality of it, design to deal with how the Garrard works is vital. I don't feel £200 is enough to do justice to this, unless you are handy and can build one. The slate (stone) idea is not as clear cut as some might indicate, it's a subjective view, opinion that has its advocates, but equally its detractors.

Ali Tait
18-02-2016, 08:50
The service is not difficult to do, plenty of how to's on the net.

helma
18-02-2016, 12:46
Haven't got a Garrard, but with good instructions pretty much anyone can do basic service & maintentance to old decks like these, even without previous experience, if you just have the patience to follow instructions and are not prone to making 'hasty' mistakes or throwing your toys out the moment something is giving you a little trouble :)

Also what Geoff said regard beefing up the SME plinth, it's a viable option if you don't want to make a new one yourself or spend the money to have someone do it for you. You could probably do wonders with some scrapwood & glue and you can get tubes of acrylic mass for a couple quids, which I've found works pretty well for adding mass and damping internally to hollow box type of plinths.

Ali Tait
18-02-2016, 13:46
Deck may need a service at least £400, the plinth, quality of it, design to deal with how the Garrard works is vital. I don't feel £200 is enough to do justice to this, unless you are handy and can build one. The slate (stone) idea is not as clear cut as some might indicate, it's a subjective view, opinion that has its advocates, but equally its detractors.

Yep, subjective it is, but I've heard 401's in different plinths and to my ears slate was clearly superior.

bernie1
18-02-2016, 16:58
Hi, Thanks for the info, this one doesn't look very attractive these days though!
Bernie

bernie1
18-02-2016, 17:00
Hi there, that is a possibility, I might go down that route yet, but first wanted to sort out/modernize that old plinth of mine.
Bernie

bernie1
18-02-2016, 17:01
Hi there,
Yes, if I went for slate, that's probably how I'd go, are they isolated and if so, how?
Bernie

bernie1
18-02-2016, 17:02
Yes, that's what I thought as well!
Bernie

bernie1
18-02-2016, 17:06
Hi, I've never heard another 401 properly, just the ones when we went to the Melton Mowbray show a few years ago, but hard to tell in the crush!
Bernie

Ali Tait
18-02-2016, 19:57
Were there meant to be quotes in those last posts?

Don't make sense..