PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Touch 20% Off Pre-Orders

technobear
27-10-2009, 15:23
If you order from the Logitech store and enter this code: RELAUNCH2009 then you can get your SB Touch for £207 delivered. I've ordered two! :)

This code is alledged to expire at the end of October so get in quick.

Another user reports that it works for other Squeeze products too (don't know if that includes Transporter but this guy ordered a Duet).

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/devices/5745&cl=gb,en

:stalks:

Tripmaster
27-10-2009, 16:07
If you order from the Logitech store and enter this code: RELAUNCH2009 then you can get your SB Touch for £207 delivered. I've ordered two! :)

This code is alledged to expire at the end of October so get in quick.

Another user reports that it works for other Squeeze products too (don't know if that includes Transporter but this guy ordered a Duet).

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/devices/5745&cl=gb,en

:stalks:

Thanks for that :)

Themis
27-10-2009, 16:11
Unfortunately, this doesn't work for France... :(

Tripmaster
27-10-2009, 16:16
I've ordered one too!

Ali Tait
27-10-2009, 16:33
Thanks Chris! I've ordered one too.

mercury1 (trolling as Dave K)
27-10-2009, 17:03

Themis, the code MUST be in CAPITALS - have you tried that?

technobear
27-10-2009, 17:26

Perhaps it needs to be in French. Try RELANCER2009 :eyebrows:

Themis
27-10-2009, 17:48
Perhaps it needs to be in French. Try RELANCER2009 :eyebrows:
Yes I tried that too ... :eyebrows:
Apparently the code is for UK customers only. Lucky you ! :cool:

Gazjam
27-10-2009, 18:17
Anyone fancy a kidney for £207 ??

Themis
27-10-2009, 18:26
Anyone fancy a kidney for £207 ??
Is your kidney 24/96 compatible ? :lol:

badlyread
27-10-2009, 20:57
The code does work for the Transporter (comes in at just under £1200) but I bought a Mac Mini and a Radio for the bedroom instead (£128 with discount). Had the Mac for 3 days (ripping is taking ages) and the radio for a week (sounds might fine).

Kind Regards

Neil

Look to Ripcaster if you want a Transporter!

NRG
28-10-2009, 09:03
Thanks TB! Order placed! http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Peter Stockwell
28-10-2009, 12:23
Is your kidney 24/96 compatible ? :lol:

Dmitri, :lol:

Very funny!

Yep the code is only for the UK. Coz on the french website it'll cost 311€ with shipping!

Peter Galbavy
28-10-2009, 16:47
I needed a new alarm clock. My Casio LCD from early 1980s (I bought it when I started a paper round...) finally started going flakey after being taken into the bathroom.

Radio ordered for £127. Touch would be nice, but next year...

Ali Tait
28-10-2009, 18:21
So when will these be shipped? I can't seem to find that info on the site.

Themis
28-10-2009, 18:30
Beginning of December, I think.

technobear
28-10-2009, 18:56
So when will these be shipped? I can't seem to find that info on the site.

The target is December 1st but depends on the software being of sufficient quality in time (the hardware is already in the stores and has been for some time).

Ali Tait
28-10-2009, 19:31
Ok thanks chaps. :)

Tripmaster
28-10-2009, 20:52
I've just read the following post on the Squeezebox forum...

'Dear Mr. XXX,

Thank you for contacting Logitech Customer Care.

Regarding your inquiry, Squeezebox Touch will be out in the market in Spring next year.

Thank you for choosing Logitech

Kind Regards,

Logitech Europe SA
European Customer Care'

Here is the link

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=69852&page=4

NRG
01-11-2009, 15:46
Interesting, I've already been billed for the new Touch....it flagged a fraud prevention call at my CC company....the invoice I have from Logitech says it would appear as DRI*Logitech on my statement.....it doesn't...comes up as Digital River....just FYI.

Tripmaster
01-11-2009, 16:17
Interesting, I've already been billed for the new Touch....it flagged a fraud prevention call at my CC company....the invoice I have from Logitech says it would appear as DRI*Logitech on my statement.....it doesn't...comes up as Digital River....just FYI.

Hi Neal

It appears Digital River is the eCommerce software Logitech uses. I have just checked my order status via the Logitech site and it appears to be genuine. I'll go and check my bank statement.

Logitech should only take money from a credit/debit card when they are about ship the goods...

Tripmaster
01-11-2009, 16:20
From Logitechs website

'When will my credit card be charged?

For purchases of physical products, you won't be billed until your product is shipped. This includes any preordered or backordered products. If your items are shipped separately you will be billed each time a product is shipped.'

Tripmaster
01-11-2009, 16:24
To put your mind at rest...

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/Tripmaster_photo/Logitech.jpg

technobear
01-11-2009, 16:40
Interesting, I've already been billed for the new Touch....it flagged a fraud prevention call at my CC company.....

Yes, I also had to make a call to the CC company :confused:

It shows as a pending transaction on my account, a bit like when you book a hotel. It doesn't show up on the statement.

Ali Tait
01-11-2009, 18:17
So is it true these will only initially support FAT32 and not NTFS?

Themis
01-11-2009, 18:20
Yes, apparently they have some compatibility issues with NTFS device disconnection, so they disabled this feature until a future resolution : http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=70142

Stratmangler
01-11-2009, 18:22

Apparently so. NTFS is rumoured to be covered in the next software release.

Chris:)

Ali Tait
01-11-2009, 22:54
Thanks chaps.Do we know when this fix will come out,and I take it we can download the fix to our touches?

Stratmangler
01-11-2009, 23:03
'Fraid not ATM Ali !

I'm wondering what version of Squeezebox Server will support the Touch - Logitech seem to have forgotten that there is a legion of Squeezebox users already, who are probably (mostly) happy with the way things ran before Touch came along - to ignore these folks would be akin to giving them a slap in the face.

Themis
01-11-2009, 23:19
Thanks chaps.Do we know when this fix will come out,and I take it we can download the fix to our touches?
ATM 8.0.1 -> next spring. But it may still change. ;)

If you want to vote for this feature -> https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=12675 (you'll need a bugzilla account for slimdevices)

Stratmangler
01-11-2009, 23:22
ATM 8.0.1 -> next spring. But it may still change. ;)

I see that the acronym CTT applies ATM.

Chris;)

CTT = Customer To Test

Ali Tait
02-11-2009, 11:15
Ok,so me being a computer numpty,I believe that having ripped most of my music to the drobo,I'm pretty sure with NTFS,using EAC,can I convert the files to FAT32 or do I have to start again?

Peter Stockwell
02-11-2009, 11:48
Ok,so me being a computer numpty,I believe that having ripped most of my music to the drobo,I'm pretty sure with NTFS,using EAC,can I convert the files to FAT32 or do I have to start again?

Ali, it's not the files that are the problem it's the adressability/format of the disk itself that is the problem. With a drobo you can choose, depending on your OS, Fat32, or HFS(mac) or NTFS(winders). The diadvantage of FAT32 is that you can't store files bigger than 2Gb, but the files can be read and written either on Mac or windows.

Now the Drobo is another beast again, and I couldn't predict how it will behave hanging off a Squeezebox touch. However, it's certain that it'll not read any NTFS formatted disks.

On the other hand your files youc ould copy to another location, reformat the drobo, then copy them back.

Ali Tait
02-11-2009, 13:40
Ok thanks Peter.I guess it's just a case of wait and see then!

Marktdac
02-11-2009, 22:31
Call me stupid ,but what does it actually do?

Stratmangler
02-11-2009, 22:39
Call me stupid ,but what does it actually do?

Well stupid........

You did give the instruction, I simply complied.

The Logitech Touch is the next generation media streamer in the Squeezebox family.

You can find it here (http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/products/squeezebox-touch.html), or alternatively you can try googling.

Chris;)

Marktdac
03-11-2009, 00:11
Got it ,its for streaming music wirelessly from pc/laptop to ur hifi via ur wifi network
Surly it has to be hard wired to ur hifi ,in that case what the point of the touch screen ?

Isnt the remote of the earlier version a better idea ?

Cant really see the pont of streaming music round the house if ur hifi is in one room,fair enough if u had more than one hifi ,but u wouldnt u have to buy one squeezebox for each hifi?

Besides if you useing a laptop to store music wouldnt u be better off gettin a usb dac for each hifi then just carry ur laptop from room to room ,afterall thats wahts it for portability

Mark

twelvebears
03-11-2009, 07:28
Had the Mac for 3 days (ripping is taking ages)

Noticed this myself and worked out that it's because Apple Superdrives in Mac Minis and iMacs are sort of speed restricted so they stay quiet and don't spoil the silent Mac experience!

Not really a problem normally but a pain in the arse when you've got stacks of CDs to rip.

My solution was to by a £30 external USB drive which belts along at about x48 speed just to get through the CDs faster.

twelvebears
03-11-2009, 07:35
Actually the FAT32 file size is 4Gb not 2Gb, as I discovered when I couldn't understand why the movies I was converting wouldn't work and all seem to be coincidentially 4Gb in size....

Reformatting my Drobo to HFS at that point was a pain in the arse because there were hundreds of gigs on there are the time and I had to off-load the files to variety of other external drives I had handy. Took AGES!

Oh and I have now found that there is some software which will allow a Mac to both read and write to an NTFS formatted drive, which means you can have a shared drive on a mixed (Mac and PC) network and not have the 4Gb file size limitation.

It's called Tuxera NTFS for Mac

Tripmaster
03-11-2009, 08:03
Got it ,its for streaming music wirelessly from pc/laptop to ur hifi via ur wifi network Surly it has to be hard wired to ur hifi ,in that case what the point of the touch screen ? Isnt the remote of the earlier version a better idea ? Cant really see the pont of streaming music round the house if ur hifi is in one room,fair enough if u had more than one hifi ,but u wouldnt u have to buy one squeezebox for each hifi? Besides if you useing a laptop to store music wouldnt u be better off gettin a usb dac for each hifi then just carry ur laptop from room to room ,afterall thats wahts it for portability Mark

Isnt the remote of the earlier version a better idea ?

Yes, but you can purchase a Duet or Logitech Harmony multi-purpose remote...you can also use a Windows PDA or iPhone to do the same.

Fair enough if u had more than one hifi ,but u wouldnt u have to buy one squeezebox for each hifi?

Yes, one Touch/hifi or active speaker per room. If you just wanted to have access to your music you could always purchase a Squeezebox Radio for the kitchen/bedroom.

My main reason for purchasing the Touch is for its built in squeeze server. This enables me to plug in a usb hard drive without the having a computer connected. The built-in open source operating system will also encourage many programmers to write useful applications.

Ali Tait
03-11-2009, 08:21
I believe the touch comes with a remote in any case.

Peter Galbavy
03-11-2009, 09:02
Got my SB Radio last night and am using it as my alarm clock. Setup was quick, but only because I know how the SB3 menus and Squeezecenter software work. It would take some people much longer. The navigation controls are nice, build quality solid and once the battery pack is available I will be a happy camper (I intend to take it into the garden / kitchen etc.)

Tripmaster
03-11-2009, 09:17
I believe the touch comes with a remote in any case.

Yes...but without a screen :)

technobear
03-11-2009, 11:38
Surly it has to be hard wired to ur hifi ,in that case what the point of the touch screen ?

It's really simple Mark...

When the sofa/dog/teenager has eaten the remote, you still need to be able to control the thing.

Having a touch screen means it doesn't have to be adorned with knobs and buttons, yet can still be operated when the remote is AWOL, whilst maintaining a sleek stylish appearance and being cheaper to make into the bargain.

What's not to like about that?

Marktdac
03-11-2009, 13:34
After looking around the net ,it quite a handy gadget ,as it comes with a remote ,as well as being able to connect a USB hardisk to it

Cant understand though why they didnt put the touch screen on the remote?

Also Seems a bit stupid if u have ur pc in one room and u are in another listening to music,u would need to leave ur pc permanently on .

Be ok though if u connect a USB hardisk to it

Mark

Themis
03-11-2009, 13:52
Cant understand though why they didnt put the touch screen on the remote?
Probably because they have a similar product : the Squeezebox Duet controller

Stratmangler
03-11-2009, 14:01
Also Seems a bit stupid if u have ur pc in one room and u are in another listening to music,u would need to leave ur pc permanently on

One thing you have to bear in mind is that Squeezebox Server can deal with 6 players independently of each other, that's each player playing its' own different track/album.

You can if you wish synchronise players to play simultaneously.

The choice is yours.

Marktdac
03-11-2009, 14:29
So what u are saying then if i had the latest ipod touch with builtin wifi,i can connect that up wirelessly ,and listen to the music stored on the ipod through my hifi?

I understand that bit ,but what u are saying is its possible to connect up your ipod then listen to music on the server or pc via your ipod? in other words the opposite way round?

Mark

Stratmangler
03-11-2009, 14:57
So what u are saying then if i had the latest ipod touch with builtin wifi,i can connect that up wirelessly ,and listen to the music stored on the ipod through my hifi?

I understand that bit ,but what u are saying is its possible to connect up your ipod then listen to music on the server or pc via your ipod? in other words the opposite way round?

Mark

Nope !

What I'm saying is that you can get up to 6 members of the Squeezebox family of players to work on Squeezebox Server. So you're looking a Boom/Duet/Classic/Transporter/Radio, or combinations thereof.

There is a method of interfacing an iPod with Squeezebox Server that utilises iPeng software. I haven't done it myself, 'cos I don't have an iPod, let alone an iPod Touch. Gazjam is your man for details regarding setup and what have you.

Themis
09-11-2009, 18:50
I've just read the following post on the Squeezebox forum...

'Dear Mr. XXX,

Thank you for contacting Logitech Customer Care.

Regarding your inquiry, Squeezebox Touch will be out in the market in Spring next year.

Thank you for choosing Logitech

Kind Regards,

Logitech Europe SA
European Customer Care'

Here is the link

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=69852&page=4

As of today : "Anyone who said it was delayed until spring does not have correct information. We do not yet have a firm release date "

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=71178

(I can say even less, but then, I need even more words to do so... :lol:)

Themis
11-12-2009, 17:32
Last (hopefully) official news : http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/10/squeezebox-touch-delayed-until-february-bah-humbug/

Delayed until February. :rolleyes:

Maximum
11-12-2009, 18:30
Logitech have been having a 12 day sale, with a different offer each day. They didn't make it hard to figure out what most of the deals were going to be. Tommorow is 25% off day from how things look, though I'm not sure if this will apply to pre-orders ;)

You need to sign up to the email alerts to get the option though. They don't seem to be shouting about it though.

http://12days.logitech.com/

edit: Oops they closed it :doh:

Ali Tait
12-12-2009, 03:16
This is pissing me off now.They've had my money long enough!

Tripmaster
20-12-2009, 13:28
This is pissing me off now.They've had my money long enough!

Me too! :rolleyes:

Ali Tait
20-12-2009, 13:55
Anyone have any more news? Or is it stll february?

Tripmaster
22-12-2009, 17:19
Anyone have any more news? Or is it stll february?

Think of date, then add two months :rolleyes:

I believe its still late February