PDA

View Full Version : The amplifier designer hall of fame (part #1) – “… gifted at self promotion and bulls

Neil McCauley
09-02-2016, 16:19
Editor McCauley in conversation with Howard Popeck:

Hi Howard. I’ll start if I may with I hope an inoffensive comment that you’ve been around the audiophile ‘block’ a few times. You are I guess a survivor from the old school. Would you care to comment?

Okay, that’s true. I started in the business in October 1976 and I’m still in it. But I did leave from time to time.

And then returned?

And then returned.

So you’ve bought and sold a lot of gear. Listened to loads. Met interesting designers and no doubt a few odd personalities. Am I right?

Yup.

So can we focus today on your views on gifted amplifier designers? Would that be okay?

Certainly. But from the sound quality standpoint. I don’t want to get into stuff about cosmetics, ergonomics nor reliability perspectives.

Where should we start?

Hmm. (Howard scratches his chin) Well – perhaps the best way to start is to give you a few background thoughts. Okay with that?

Okay. Fine. Shoot!

First, I’ve met quite a few foreign designers and some were gifted where it really mattered. Others though were gifted at self promotion and bullshit and had no real substance as sleeves rolled up hands-on amp designers. Not as far as I could see anyway.

Care to name names?

Continues @ http://www.hifianswers.com/2016/02/the-amplifier-designer-hall-of-fame-neil-mccauley-in-conversation-with-howard-popeck/