PDA

View Full Version : Is It OK to Like Just One Musical Genre...?

Marco
24-10-2009, 12:19
Serves you all right for being ignorant about it then ;) At the end of the day Prog & prog/Psych related moosik made up the biggest part of rock music releases in the late 60's/early 70's

Each to their own and all that, dude, but I can never understand how some people can only listen to the one kind of music :confused:

For me, that would be just much too restrictive. Music for me is a mood thing, so depending on what mood I'm in will dictate the kind of music I listen to. What I'm doing also plays a big part, as when I'm driving I have a certain set of tunes which hit the spot as I'm cruising down the motorway at 90 M.P.H, or ducking in and out of the country lanes where I live.

Apart from you, I know a few people who only listen to one type of music - in their case solely classical or jazz. For me (no offence, Andre) that's not really being a true music lover; you're merely a lover of prog rock or a lover of classical music, that's all. A true music lover, for me, is someone whose collection covers a multitude of different genres.... :)

For example, last night I had Steve (Aquapiranha) round for a sesh, as he hadn't heard my Tannoys since I'd had the crossovers rebuilt, and we got through a whole load of different stuff from when he arrived at 7.30pm until he left at well past midnight.

We listened to Nils Lofgren, 9 Below Zero, Alice in Chains, Kirstin Hersh, Midlake, Regina Spektor, Kosheen, Nitin Sawhney, Cara Dillon, Eleanor McEvoy, Tiesto, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Modest Mouse, Lucy Kaplansky, Shpongle, Faulty DL, Jimi Hendrix, Julie Doiron, Duke Ellington, and tons of other stuff I can't remember right now - but there's all sort of different genres in there. I'd be utterly bored rigid if I only owned the one type of music!! :bog:

On topic, I can't play this game as I don't have any way of scanning in album covers, but if I could I'd bore you all with my obscure 80s albums - the era of classic synth-pop and when music was music... None of yer dreery and depressing prog rock pish! :upyours: :lol:

Marco.

Rare Bird
24-10-2009, 12:40
Untrue
Trouble with most people, they seem to get it in their heads that prog rock is genesis, Yes, ELP etc that's it there is literally thousands of Prog related bands.

The term Prog rock is something i don't like using, it's progressive music. This type of music involves styles from Folk, Jazz, classical. remember i listern to much anything in the prog mould inc Krautrock, Psych etc...& to make a more shocking statement a narrow span from around 68/69 - 72/73...Prog has the most amazing selection of styles believe it or not.

Trouble is you have probably only heard the crap commercial end of it & probably some drizzled branded prog with more that likley isnt.

Prog is an art & one of the most intresting music styles ever. Most of the main record labels around the time put out the largest part of the catalogue to this style of music Harvest (EMI), Swirl Vertigo (Polygram), Deram (Decca), Neon (RCA).. Was a very very important style in music, something i've studied for near on 25 years, still more to learn

btw 80's music is basically puffs music, out of the closet the most of em came. Something i hate is repetative moosik, 80's moosik is just that.

Marco
24-10-2009, 13:02
btw 80's music is basically puffs music, out of the closet the most of em came.

LOL, we'll just have to agree to differ because I ain't no "puff"! :ner:

I'm having my lunch now but I'll come back to you later regarding the interesting points you raised...

One thing I will say is that deep down I probably prefer the sound of a well-executed synth than the same with a guitar, which I suspect is what makes me different to most people here ;)

The 80s was my era - I loved almost everything about it :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
24-10-2009, 13:08
Marco
Didnt imply you were a puff was saying a lot artists back then were (More so in the syth pop arena).. I worked in a record shop when all this 80's cack came out so i know how bad it is...

O dear don't go delving into prog details cos youll get your fingers burned.:lol:

Marco
24-10-2009, 13:40
Marco
Didnt imply you were a puff was saying a lot artists back then were (More so in the syth pop arena)..

Ah, so you meant that the artists were "puffs", not necessarily the people who listened to their music? No worries :)

Personally, I couldn't give a monkey's bollocks if certain artists are gay or not - it's their music that counts!

I worked in a record shop when all this 80's cack came out so i know how bad it is...

Well, we'll have to agree to differ. I loved me Gary Numan, Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears, Howard Jones, etc, then - and always will :smoking:

The term Prog rock is something i don't like using, it's progressive music. This type of music involves styles from Folk, Jazz, classical. remember i listern to much anything in the prog mould inc Krautrock, Psych etc...& to make a more shocking statement a narrow span from around 68/69 - 72/73...Prog has the most amazing selection of styles believe it or not.

Good point - I totally agree!

However, it doesn't exactly cover blues, female/male vocalists, jazz, indie, metal, R&B, punk, reggae, ambient, electronic, world music, soul, 50s, 60s (stuff like The Beatles, Stones, etc) country, classical, americana, and tons of other stuff I'm into and listen to on a regular basis!! ;)

So for me a musical diet of solely prog rock would be boring and much too restrictive.

Anyway, we're all different, muchacho - that's what makes the world go round :cool:

Marco.

Rare Bird
24-10-2009, 13:56
Marco:
You find that most puffter artists back then can't help but include their sexuality within music, frankie goes to hollywood being a fine example.You ask any gay or lesbian person in the street what artist they listern to i can bet you 80% of the artist are gay.They can't help it..Anyway forget about gays i was just pointing out the obvious.

Prog/psych do include the styles you gave example of:will find most early kraut bands were actually electronic/experimental ie: Tangerine Dream,Cluster,Deuter, Limbus etc..Don't forget the style of music call 'Kamische'.. R&B is included ie Julie Driscol, Brian Augur & Trinity..Classical plays a massive part in it, Keith Emerson & The Nice, ELP etc etc.. Again Ambient ie:Popol Vuh etc.. Jazz ie: Nucleus, Coley, If, Midnight Sun, Rainbow Band..Tons Jazz fusion bands ie: late Soft Machine, Pierre Morlen Gong, Exmagma, Solor plexus,Brand x etc etc..Blues driven such as obviously Cream, Zep, NSU...Indie isnt a style it's a music that has no style but to label them as independant .

Virtually every style of music is covered somewhere...

Marco
24-10-2009, 14:14
Yes, but I could probably name 100s of albums in my collection represented by the musical genres I named above, which are in some way covered by prog rock, that you wouldn't dream of listening to! ;)

Therefore, if I just listened to prog rock and nothing else, I'd miss out on all that stuff. Also, you said that you don't listen to any music post 1973 (correct?) - well, tons and tons of varied and fantastic music has been released since then. Man, you're missing out whole decades!!

You might think it's all 'crap', of course, but the very fact that you deliberately choose to miss out on all that stuff in itself makes your tastes much too restrictive for me.

As for "puffter artists" and their lyrics - I rarely listen to the words in songs, as I'm a 'tunes man', and so mainly get hooked on melodies... If it gets my feet tapping or makes me want to dance (when the music is appropriate), although I usually resist the temptation (haha!), that's for me what it's all about :cool:

I'm not sure there's much prog rock music you could dance to! :lolsign:

It's too drab, baby... Music to slash your wrists to (in general) and reflected in the design of the album covers, which incidentally I love purely for their artistic merit.

Marco.

Joe
24-10-2009, 14:18
Most gay people like disco, but most people who make disco music aren't gay.

Marco
24-10-2009, 14:22
Ya - there's another genre I love: disco! And I'm not gay! It's what I mainly listened to in the 70s when some of you guys were gettin' off on prog or other types of rock music :)

Anyway, enough talking about music - I'm off to listen to some now... :gig:

Laters, peeps!

Marco.

Joe
24-10-2009, 14:25
Burn down the disco
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music that they constantly play
IT SAYS NOTHING TO ME ABOUT MY LIFE
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music they constantly play ....

On the Leeds side-streets that you slip down
Provincial towns you jog 'round
Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
HANG THE DJ

Joe
24-10-2009, 14:29
Though I like many types of music, my own personal favourite genre is early US punk/new wave. You can't better 'Raw Power' by Iggy & the Stooges IMO.

Rare Bird
24-10-2009, 14:51
Yes, but I could probably name 100s of albums in my collection represented by the musical genres I named above, which are in some way covered by prog rock, that you wouldn't dream of listening to! ;)

The reason i restrict myself to pre '73 is the time before this when musicians were musicians playing proper instruments, bands back then were creative & enjoyed doing what they did creating their own music, not letting the instruments influence their ideas too much, by '73 these bands were changing, record companies dictating what they wanted the band to do, instrument advances, Recording technique advancements all help to destroy this music that was..Don't believe for one min that prog still exists cos it doesnt, '73 was the last of it, by mid '70's the bands that still existed were down a different style route, by '76 punk put pay to the desperation..The rubbish today is under the banner of prog but their in reality commedians.

if I just listened to prog rock and nothing else, I'd miss out on all that stuff. Also, you said that you don't listen to any music post 1973 (correct?) - well, tons and tons of varied and fantastic music has been released since then. Man, you're missing out whole decades!!

As mentioned above i saw the changes why bother with the future it's impossible to give me what i see pre '73, in post '73! Again you do not realise how many bands you choose to ignore within the prog field, you are commenting on the prog you may have heard, taring everything in the field with the same brush.However we all choose to listern to what we do for a reason..

What totally pisses me off with the '80's Electro pop & more nowadays is the total reliance of digital sequencers & drum machines.I do aprove of Synthesizers but not digital, they are just pre-set sounds, the first analogue modular synths have creative prospects, they don't.I've seen how artists like Vince clarke used to create a song in his studio, they all basically started of with a repetative sequenced drum beat.If it's foot tapping choons you like your more attracted to the commercial end of music, i aint, anything with a repetaive 4/4 i aint bothered.

Prog is thinking mans music not radio play junk.

Marco
24-10-2009, 15:52
That's cool, Andre - as I say we're all different :)

I wouldn't dwell too much on the 80s thing, because much as I love that style of music (one of the reasons is because it brings back so many happy memories of my youth), I also listen to loads of other stuff too!

If you go through the music listed that I played when Steve visited, there wasn't one 80s band in there ;)

When I listen to music I can go from Nat King Cole and Dean Martin to Rammstein and then onto Hipsway, then maybe some Pink Floyd - such is the diversity of my tastes. I like variation in my listening sessions.

The bottom line is I couldn't do the above if I was solely into prog rock pre 1973...

Anyway, variety is the spice of life. It would be a boring world if we were all the same! :cool:

Marco.

Alex_UK
24-10-2009, 17:32
What totally pisses me off with the '80's Electro pop & more nowadays is the total reliance of digital sequencers & drum machines.I do aprove of Synthesizers but not digital, they are just pre-set sounds, the first analogue modular synths have creative prospects, they don't.I've seen how artists like Vince clarke used to create a song in his studio, they all basically started of with a repetative sequenced drum beat.

A very sweeping statement Andre, and IMHO completely untrue - as a classical musician as a youngster (violin, piano) who moved onto synths in the 80's and 90's and still dabbles in electronic music, as well as playing the guitar, there are FAR more "creative prospects" now that most work is done in the digital environment, and the vast majority of sequencing and drum machine use is simply because one person can't play everything at the same time! It still takes creativity to record whatever is sequenced anyway.

Maybe we should move this off topic discussion to another thread Marco? (BTW, as you can probably guess, I was a big 80's synth music fan - Human League, OMD, Heaven 17, Ultravox, The Buggles all need adding to your list ;) )

Marco
24-10-2009, 17:47
Alex,

Maybe we should move this off topic discussion to another thread Marco? (BTW, as you can probably guess, I was a big 80's synth music fan - Human League, OMD, Heaven 17, Ultravox, The Buggles all need adding to your list )

You lead, and I'll follow you, dahling - just like we would if we were shakin' our booty on the dance floor, resplendent in our sequined dreshes... Hahahahaha :lolsign: ;)

Oh, you're right, there are loads more bands you could add to that list...

Btw, I just like to nip in now and then and shift the flavour of the music room by diluting the 'ageing rock hippy' vibe, which is favoured amongst the regular contributors :lol: :ner:

We need more 80s music chat in here!!

Marco.

Rare Bird
24-10-2009, 17:54
Alex: You confusing, Musicians use Midi you can be an octopuss with this, the bonus attraction is all synth manufacturers keys will talk to each other, pre digital each manufacturers keys would not ie: Rolandd had DCB, Moog has S Trig etc...aside that the reasons they use drum machines in those days was many reason..Synth nutter has everything there on hand in studio, he cant play drums, no multitracking a real set of drums, micing drums is an art all on it's own etc etc...Just so convenient having a drum machine yeh...Shitty examples were the Roland 808..better example Roger Linns Linndrum..

Marco
24-10-2009, 18:02
All in your humble opinion of course, Andre! ;)

Music is a very personal thing - there is no universal 'right' or 'wrong' or 'better'. We all have our own equally valid opinions and benchmarks in that regard.

Marco.

DSJR
24-10-2009, 19:23
I had many MANY arguments with my ex-mastering engineer friend, who was an extremely fixed, aspergic type. he liked Wagner and similarly "intense" music and hated jazz and all contemporary stuff with a vengeance. Even "modern plink-plonk" compositions were derided. Nothing would change his mind on this.

Me? I love what I love and there's LOADS of extra room available to love more albums (even if there's not the money there to buy them any more...).

Andre, I played Computer Welt this afternoon (on headphones) and the little details there way back in the mix were amazing. You may still regard it as tripe, but a huge amount of work went into programming the synths, recording and mixing the whole together...

It's so long since I last trawled through my LP collection, it's like I'm hearing these records for the first time.

Joe
24-10-2009, 19:27
(BTW, as you can probably guess, I was a big 80's synth music fan - Human League, OMD, Heaven 17, Ultravox, The Buggles all need adding to your list ;) )

Human League, yes, OMD, yes, Heaven 17, yes, Ultravox up to a point, but The Buggles?! A pile of steaming shite!

Rare Bird
24-10-2009, 19:39
Never mind The Buggles being a pile of streaming shite...Trever Horn & geoff downes were equally as shite in YES..

:)

Marco
24-10-2009, 19:58
Joe, I know what you mean. For me, The Buggles had one good pop song: Video Killed the Radio Star - end of :)

Of course, Andre will still think it's shite, but that's cool! :eyebrows:

Andre mentioned Vince Clarke earlier, and I just loved his keyboard sound, particularly when he was in Yazoo and Depeche Mode. I wasn't so keen on him with Erasure.

Another for me in the same mould is Dave Stewart of Eurythmics. Annie Lennox and him were fab together and were one of my favourite 80s synth-pop bands. Defo in my top 10 :cool:

Trevor Horn? Nah, Giorgio Moroder was da man!

Marco.

Rare Bird
24-10-2009, 20:01
This is the drivvel 80's was about, he may be in Erasure at that time but he still used the same toys.That is not a musician.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQthcAK9kAg

Rare Bird
24-10-2009, 20:09
Surely you gotta see my point of view Marco. Example: you hi-fi boys that want realism in your living rooms with all this flashy equipment, listerning for every nuance say a piano gives ''oo can you hear the resonace from that piano mate, you can tell it's a real piano can you'' yet you go listern to electronic moosik made by artificial instrument simulating real instruments! How can the reality be there? They aint real! Why are you wasting your times doing what you are doing in the first place??

Just an example of killing the pig really

Marco
24-10-2009, 20:10
This is the drivvel 80's was about, he may be in Erasure at that time but he still used the same toys.That is not a musician.

In your opinion...

There are many different types of musicians, Andre.

I could equally say that half of the prog rock bands you're into didn't have a lead singer who could sing as well as Annie Lennox (I'm talking vocal range here), but that would be missing the point... A bit like you're doing with synth-pop in general ;)

Marco.

Marco
24-10-2009, 20:21
Surely you gotta see my point of view Marco. Example: you hi-fi boys that want realism in your living rooms with all this flashy equipment, listerning for every nuance say a piano gives ''oo can you hear the resonace from that piano mate, you can tell it's a real piano can you'' yet you go listern to electronic moosik made by artificial instrument simulating real instruments! How can the reality be there? They aint real! Why are you wasting your times doing what you are doing in the first place??

Yes, but I don't just listen to 80s music, like you just listen to prog rock, do I?? ;)

That's why I love good jazz music, for example. I do love listening to the sound of real acoustic instruments, piano being one of them, and the Tannoys sound absolutely stunning reproducing it!

*BUT*, like I said earlier, music for me is a mood thing, so when I'm spinning Eurythmics, Human League, OMD, or such like, it's about the feel good factor of reliving the memories of my teens, and all the mad parties with cute girlies I went to when that sort of music was playing, not 'hi-fi niceties' - ya gets me? :eyebrows:

I absolutely loved my school days and teen years, and had a riot - happy days!

Marco.

John
24-10-2009, 21:10
There is plenty of good interesting music happening that has a creative streak and is happening! now some of this is in the asian crossover music people like Nitin and Surinder Sandhu create really interesting contemopary music and are highly skilled musicians
For myself the more I got into music the more my musical taste opened up.
I see Andre as the most knowledgeable person I come across around Progressive music I am sure there is someone else out there that might even know more but like Marco I do not listen to one style
Each to their own!

Beechwoods
24-10-2009, 21:17

Jeez... a BBC micro as part of a professional synth setup. Just working out how to make those machines make music deserves respect. Vince would still have credibility if it weren't for his 'ball-boy' tshirt and shorts!

Falco is one of the most influential and often forgotten artists of the 80's. Yeah, he hit the big-time with Amadeus, but 'Vienna Calling' and 'Der Kommissar' are classic. Had he sold out and sung in English more he'd have been so much bigger...

0snDGTcYOyk OnP-b_IVdT0

_w4Xulsjo5I

Marco
24-10-2009, 21:28
There is plenty of good interesting music happening that has a creative streak and is happening! now some of this is in the asian crossover music people like Nitin and Surinder Sandeep create really interesting contemopary music and are highly skilled musicians...

Hi John,

I completely agree :)

I love the likes of Nitin Sawhney, Surinder Sandeep and Ananda Shankar. And then there are some of the world music artists such as Ali Farka Toure, Toumani Diabate, Debashish Bhattacharya and Buena Vista Social Club... The list goes on!

There's so much great music Andre's missing out on by just listening to the one genre.

Marco.

Marco
24-10-2009, 21:34
Jeez... a BBC micro as part of a professional synth setup. Just working out how to make those machines make music deserves respect. Vince would still have credibility if it weren't for his 'ball-boy' tshirt and shorts!

I know! I couldn't help having a giggle at just how gay he looked - reminds me of that pic of our Rob in his little shorties :eyebrows:

One thing I didn't like about the 80s were the fashions! :wanker:

I had exactly the same BBC computer back then... I think that I upgraded to it from a Sinclair ZX81 :eyebrows:

Marco.

Rare Bird
24-10-2009, 21:35
There's so much great music Andre's missing out on by just listening to the one genre.

Marco.

:nocomment:

Joe
24-10-2009, 21:45
I wonder what type(s) of music Steven Toy likes? ISTR Celine Dion being mentioned.

Spectral Morn
24-10-2009, 21:56
Never mind The Buggles being a pile of streaming shite...Trever Horn & geoff downes were equally as shite in YES..

:)

Disagree The Drama album is excellent IMHO. Trevor is responsible for some excellent music and Geoff Downes as part of Asia made one of the best debut albums in any genre, Asia-Asia is amazing IMHO.

I must say that my first love in music would be late 70's/80's melodic rock AOR....Journey, Kansas, Styx etc. However I started off liking film sound tracks and classical music first(when I was a child), but the first rock album I bought was The War of the Worlds which is fairly Prog IMHO.

I loved the synth sounds of the 80's Ultravox, Human League etc (like Marco I would say I was a keyboard lover rather than guitar) but it was Michael Moorcocks books about what I thought was a made up group Hawkwind that set me down the path of being into Prog. I found that Hawkwind existed as a band and Warrior on the Edge of Time, Quark Strangeness and Charm, Hall of the Mountain Grill became strong faves of mine. Gong, Yes, Genesis etc followed.

However like Marco I must say I can't imagine myself only listening to one genre of music, but in the case of Prog as you say Andre it covers a very wide range of styles etc that I think Prog is a much broader house than other genres.

There is IMHO a lot of excellent modern music to listen too...try System 7-777, The Orb-Adventure beyond the ultraworld, Tosca-No Hassle all of which have Prog leanings.

I listen to a lot of Dance/electronic music now days and less AOR. I think this is because of the synths/keyboards...I just love that vibe.

Regards D S D L

Themis
24-10-2009, 22:05
I tend to believe that poetry or music separately are asexual. They get a sex when they are together. Like when "a violin get its own when the archer touches it" as Léo Ferré says.

So, I'm like Marco : I can't imagine myself listening to a single type of music. As I can't imagine a single mood of lyrics.

Even if we accept that prog made the most of the music, who made the most of the lyrics, then ?

Beechwoods
24-10-2009, 22:34
Even if we accept that prog made the most of the music, who made the most of the lyrics, then ?

Folk.

Joe
24-10-2009, 22:36
As Louis Armstrong said: 'All music is folk music. I ain't never seen a horse writing a song'

symon
24-10-2009, 22:37
:clap:

Alex_UK
24-10-2009, 22:44
Human League, yes, OMD, yes, Heaven 17, yes, Ultravox up to a point, but The Buggles?! A pile of steaming shite!

I couldn't find a "tongue in cheek" smiley, but I was having a little bit of ironic fun - (though Trevor Horn's production is very good IMHO and very diverse, and still doing it at 60...)

It's too late, I've got the family over and had too much wine so I will return to the subject tomorrow!

Stratmangler
24-10-2009, 23:03
I've got an excellent example of Trevor Horn's production playing atm - Seal's superb first album.

I too quite like the Drama album by Yes - I even went to see Yes on the Drama tour. I remember that Trevor Horn coped quite well with all the JA vocals, despite having a heavy cold.

Chris:)

Rare Bird
24-10-2009, 23:24
I've got an excellent example of Trevor Horn's production playing atm - Seal's superb first album.

I too quite like the Drama album by Yes - I even went to see Yes on the Drama tour. I remember that Trevor Horn coped quite well with all the JA vocals, despite having a heavy cold.

Manchester Apollo Theatre December 1980?

Stratmangler
24-10-2009, 23:30
Manchester Apollo Theatre December 1980?

You there too ?

Rare Bird
24-10-2009, 23:40
You there too ?

you there sat or sunday? tickets four & half quid

Stratmangler
24-10-2009, 23:49
you there sat or sunday? tickets four & half quid

Jeez - it's a long time ago - can't remember. It was the first (and only) time I've ever been in the circle. I'll check and see if I've still got the ticket stub...

Marco
24-10-2009, 23:51

Quality, Chris. I have all of Seal's albums - what a great voice he has, but like you say his first album was best, as is so often the case with many artists :)

With Adamski, 'Killer' is one of my favourite tracks of all time - just awesome cranked up on a killer hi-fi system! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Rare Bird
24-10-2009, 23:54
Jeez - it's a long time ago - can't remember. It was the first (and only) time I've ever been in the circle. I'll check and see if I've still got the ticket stub...

The shows were 6th & 7th Dec.. Tickets were 4 & 4.50

Stratmangler
25-10-2009, 00:00
Quality, Chris. I have all of Seal's albums - what a great voice he has, but like you say his first album was best, as is so often the case with many artists :)

With Adamski, 'Killer' is one of my favourite tracks of all time - just awesome cranked up on a killer hi-fi system! :eyebrows:

Marco.

I failed to mention another example of Trevor Horn's production - Seal's superb 2nd album (currently playing) - I have to admit I do like the guy's singing & writing style and tonal qualities. I think that Seal's first two album releases are must haves in any collection.

Stratmangler
25-10-2009, 00:02
The shows were 6th & 7th Dec.. Tickets were 4 & 4.50

Bloody hell, that's nearly 30 years ago - I'll check and report back, my memory, whilst PBG is not infallible.

Chris:lolsign:

snapper
25-10-2009, 18:31
I saw them a week or so before that.

27.11.1980 at The Glasgow Apollo and remember Trevor Horn being booed in between songs.

He had about 3 attempts at Close To The Edge,before giving up.

The Grand Wazoo
25-10-2009, 19:34
I saw them in Brighton & also remember a fair bit of booing.
I thought the whole gig was pretty uninteresting.

Alex_UK
25-10-2009, 21:12
You ask any gay or lesbian person in the street what artist they listern to i can bet you 80% of the artist are gay.They can't help it..Anyway forget about gays i was just pointing out the obvious.

No, you are not "just pointing out the obvious" you are spouting homophobic clap-trap - how many gay people do you actually know? They're not all prancing around to "Y.M.C.A." or "I will Survive" you know Andre! Sorry, but come on - "they can't help it" - WTF is that supposed to mean? This is the 21st century you know!

DSJR
25-10-2009, 21:29
Mr Horne used to monitor on ATC's I understand. Certainly, I believe the two Seal albums were...

Alex_UK
25-10-2009, 21:36
Joe, I know what you mean. For me, The Buggles had one good pop song: Video Killed the Radio Star - end of :)
That's fine, each to their own - this Buggles tune is one of my favourite 80s tracks, though: "Island" - a bonus track on the cd re-releae of The Age of Plastic: http://open.spotify.com/track/1BlffxVzoJkiT5Pk4YNYnH

But, individuals choice - I just personally couldn't be so narrow minded as to impose genre and period restrictions on myself to the exclusion of everything else, Andre

Werner Berghofer
25-10-2009, 22:33
Falco is one of the most influential and often forgotten artists of the 80's.In my opinion Hans ”Falco“ Hölzel was just an unrestrained plagiarist. Listen closely to David Bowie’s ”TVC 15“ from ”Station to Station“, and suddenly Falco’s roots and substance become very obvious.

I was born in Vienna, the same city as Falco, just six months earlier, and lived there until my 48th birthday. I’m familiar with the meaning of his lyrics and his songs. In my opinion Falco was nothing more than a pale copy of David Bowie’s music, appearance and style.

I’m glad that the Eighties are over. The most terrible Pop songs were recorded in this decade.

Rare Bird
26-10-2009, 01:27
I saw them a week or so before that.

27.11.1980 at The Glasgow Apollo and remember Trevor Horn being booed in between songs.

He had about 3 attempts at Close To The Edge,before giving up.

Horn got some right hammer by the audiences on the 'Drama' tour un be known to most people he was far from accepted by Yes fans.

Rare Bird
26-10-2009, 01:33
But, individuals choice - I just personally couldn't be so narrow minded as to impose genre and period restrictions on myself to the exclusion of everything else, Andre

Alex:
The Period restrictions are laid down by myself as i feel this to be the elite area within the music genre, all else is inferior IMHO, my choice my belief

Rare Bird
26-10-2009, 02:51
No, you are not "just pointing out the obvious" you are spouting homophobic clap-trap - how many gay people do you actually know? They're not all prancing around to "Y.M.C.A." or "I will Survive" you know Andre! Sorry, but come on - "they can't help it" - WTF is that supposed to mean? This is the 21st century you know!

you need to get out more often.

Stratmangler
26-10-2009, 18:56

Just found my ticket and it was the Saturday evening, 6th December 1980.

Ticket cost £4.50

Rare Bird
26-10-2009, 22:33
Just found my ticket and it was the Saturday evening, 6th December 1980.

Ticket cost £4.50

Aye thats it chris..

This might cheer you YES come vintage fans up..here's Chris Squire of YES at home with his Quad 33 & Revox 'A77'

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/RZ1.jpg

Stratmangler
26-10-2009, 22:41
Aye thats it chris..

This might cheer you YES come vintage fans up..here's Chris Squire of YES at home with his Quad 33 & Revox 'A77'

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/LIVING-SIN/RZ1.jpg

I'm more taken with the Telecaster Bass on the wall, that and the stripped of fireglo finish Rickenbacker 4001.

Beechwoods
27-10-2009, 21:16
In my opinion Hans ”Falco“ Hölzel was just an unrestrained plagiarist. Listen closely to David Bowie’s ”TVC 15“ from ”Station to Station“, and suddenly Falco’s roots and substance become very obvious.

I was born in Vienna, the same city as Falco, just six months earlier, and lived there until my 48th birthday. I’m familiar with the meaning of his lyrics and his songs. In my opinion Falco was nothing more than a pale copy of David Bowie’s music, appearance and style.

I’m glad that the Eighties are over. The most terrible Pop songs were recorded in this decade.

It's interesting to hear your perspective Werner, but I don't hear the similarity between Falco and Bowie - though I'd accept that they were both extremely strong on visual appeal and theatrics. I'm no Bowie expert. I really don't like his stuff, so I just don't have the depth of perspective to appreciate the influence I guess.

There was a lot of crap music in the 80's but a lot of good stuff too. The influence of the 80's on subsequent decades is not to be underestimated though... house music, hip-hop, goth, extreme metal...

Joe
27-10-2009, 21:59
I'm no Bowie expert. I really don't like his stuff, so I just don't have the depth of perspective to appreciate the influence I guess.

Like him or not, Bowie was hugely influential. Station to Station, from whence TVC15 comes, is one of his best.

twelvebears
27-10-2009, 22:18
Marco:
You find that most puffter artists back then can't help but include their sexuality within music, frankie goes to hollywood being a fine example.You ask any gay or lesbian person in the street what artist they listern to i can bet you 80% of the artist are gay.They can't help it..Anyway forget about gays i was just pointing out the obvious.

Doesn't get away from the fact that Welcome to the Pleasure Dome is still a surprisingly good and creative album.... :)

Beechwoods
27-10-2009, 22:29
And while you're at it you can blame Trevor Horn again!

qUsa3xmb6m4

Alex_UK
27-10-2009, 22:57
And he gets the "blame" for this too - ok, so apart from the school-girl lesbianism (;)), a perfect slab of pop if ever there was one...

1agzp_PM-Z4

Rare Bird
27-10-2009, 23:10
:doh: