PDA

View Full Version : Worse gig you ever went to

Rare Bird
17-10-2009, 21:44
Excluding the rubbish i have to go see with the wife. I think the Tangerine Dream Gig at Sheffield City hall mid '80's, were terrible.Was 'Le Parc' time, as bad as the album..

REM
18-10-2009, 07:18
Looks like they are to be avoided 'live' then, they are by a country mile the worst act I've ever seen. This was at Liverpool Cathedral (Paddy's Wigwam) in the mid 70's. Impressive setting but a complete waste of time, nothing happened, nothing at all. They just turned the PA on and 'played' an ear splitting noise through it. No idea how long it went on we left ("let's split man, this is a ******g bummer") after about an hour. Apparently the band wait to get 'the vibes' from the audience so in effect it was supposed to be an exercise in audience participation, yeah right, bloody hippies:(.

Beechwoods
18-10-2009, 07:42
The 21st Century Schizoid Band, at Bristol's Lakota a few years ago - sounded like the late 80's Sh--ty Pub Band, IMO. Utterly boring :(

John
18-10-2009, 08:34
I am not sure what the worst gig I went too just to many gigs and of course some of them very bad I do have a few that had some ironic memories
Scearming Trees Vocalist doing a big salk as some of the crowd where stage diving the band carried on for about 10mins as the vocalist salked and then come back on stage
Rainbow
Ritchie deciding not to do an encore for whatever reason
Lisa Domique complaining people only saw her as sex symbol after fondling the mike stand suggestivily for the last 30mins and some band looking like the a heavy metal version of the Village People god that was strange think they might of had some name like Wild but not sure

Beechwoods
18-10-2009, 08:38
Lisa Domique complaining people only saw her as sex symbol after fondling the mike stand suggestivily for the last 30mins and some band looking like the a heavy metal version of the Village People good that was strange think they might of had some name like Wild but not sure

:lol: that sounds like a great gig, John, not a duff one!

Macca
18-10-2009, 08:52
Looks like they are to be avoided 'live' then, they are by a country mile the worst act I've ever seen. This was at Liverpool Cathedral (Paddy's Wigwam) in the mid 70's.:(.

I saw the Pope there back in 1980 - he played a two hour set! :lolsign:

alb
18-10-2009, 09:03
Worst gig?
Probably one of the bands i used to roadie for, back in my yoof.
They had a mixing desk that was largely for show. very little plugged into it, as i recall.
Punters were asking me to turn the guitars down, but i was powerless.
Quite embarrassing at the time.

Spectral Morn
18-10-2009, 09:32
Worst gig....quite often it was the support band that let things down. Worst support band ever IMHO (people would moan and say "Oh no not them again, I am off to the pub" etc...but with more colourful language) Drive Shaft.

Marillion... when Fish could not sing....his voice was shot...some would say he is like that anyway. I was looking forward to seeing hearing them but it was poor.

Fastway....Great group heavy blues rock, but they only had enough material for 40 minutes...basically their album. So to play on more they replayed it :doh:...very poor.

Fad Gadget as support for Toyah (the first gig I ever went to). They got spat at and bottled off the stage. Toyah was brilliant though.

Thin Lizzy....Worst sound ever. Their last gig, really sad the sound was so awful.

Thats about it.

Regards D S D L

Joe
18-10-2009, 09:51
An awful group called Sharks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharks_(band)
who played rubbish music at ear-damaging levels. The only gig I've walked out. Usually I suffer in silence.

DSJR
18-10-2009, 10:39
Looks like they are to be avoided 'live' then, they are by a country mile the worst act I've ever seen. This was at Liverpool Cathedral (Paddy's Wigwam) in the mid 70's. Impressive setting but a complete waste of time, nothing happened, nothing at all. They just turned the PA on and 'played' an ear splitting noise through it. No idea how long it went on we left ("let's split man, this is a ******g bummer") after about an hour. Apparently the band wait to get 'the vibes' from the audience so in effect it was supposed to be an exercise in audience participation, yeah right, bloody hippies:(.

When they were good, they were unbelieveably good, but rather than improvise now, they play over pre-recorded/programmed backing tracks - almost as bad, but the fans are great people IMO.

BM, WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!

By the way, I LIKE "Le Parc............."....................................

DanJennings
18-10-2009, 12:14
I've seen Tangerine Dream 3 or 4 times, and I've never been disappointed.... oh well.

worst gigs:

Hawkwind... real shame, great band, but it really put me off them live. The band were wasted and sloppy, and they'd just hired some godawful chap called Ron Tree, who just jumped around and shouted a lot.

System Of A Down - First time I saw them supporting Black Sabbath, not long after their first album came out, again, very sloppy playing, they did a cover of snowblind and had to slow down for the solo.... Seen them since though, and happily they're much better.

Noah and the Whale: Not awful, just disappointing and it sticks in the mind because it was fairly recent. We had to sit through nearly 2 hours of pretentious art films, and then an interval before even the support came on. When N&TW came on, they shined a glaring light into the audience for the entirety of the gig, which meant you either had to hurt your eyes or not look at the stage.... The band were sans the female singer, which really took away from the sheer joyful elements of the songs.... Oh well.

The Vinyl Adventure
18-10-2009, 13:24
I see a lot of local bands in Worcester, some good some bad (to be expected). the worst though, was on Thursday night, this chap in his 40's sat on the floor of the pub and started making what can only be described as whale sounds. Me and Ed went out the front of the pub for a fag break and to escape the noise. This guy walked past us and went down in to the pub, me and Ed joked that he would no doubt come back out agian(not realy expecting him to). Sure enough within the minute he reapeared, looked at me and then Ed and mearly said "what the fuck" looked at us like we were freaks just for being in the same pub as the whale man and walked off down the road!! Ironically, we were actually down there watching a fantastic group of chaps doing some pretty amazing stuff with guitars beatboxing ans singing really well! So overall, not the worst gig.. But mr whale him self was the worst performer

Beechwoods
18-10-2009, 13:42
By the way, I LIKE "Le Parc............."....................................

The Theme From Street Hawk was a real fave of mine when I was about 12! Still is a cool tune. I'm not sure it's representative of their oeuvre though ;) It'd be a bit like judging the Grateful Dead on the strength of the 'Twilight Zone' theme!

DSJR
18-10-2009, 20:18
Have you heard much from their (TD) 90's output?

Beechwoods
18-10-2009, 20:32
No... I have sampled their stuff from the mid-seventies but that's as far as I've gone, so far...

DanJennings
19-10-2009, 10:34
Have you heard much from their (TD) 90's output?

I heard a remix album called the Dream Mixes which I think was from around then.... I seem to remember liking it too, even though it was very different to what I was used to. Very hypnotic

Soundhaspriority
19-10-2009, 18:10
I don't know if it was "the worst", but I saw Fleetwood Mac this summer, and while Buckingham literally played his heart out (I was expecting emergency techs to rush out at any minute), the sound was dreadful, distorted and painfully loud. That seems to be a law for large stadiums, which is why I tried to avoid them. Saw Cat Power in a much smaller stadium but a very bizarre performance, where Chan seemed drunk halfway through it (was actually drinking something at the time), restarted songs because she didn't like the way they started, introduced very long pauses where nothing happened, and talked mostly to her band mates, sharing jokes to them and whatnot. Some thought it was the worst show they'd ever seen, but I quite liked it.

Pool Hall Richard
21-10-2009, 09:57
Stevie Wonder, O2 Arena, 2008. Me and the wife spent £150 on tickets. Left the show halfway through. Was awful. Too much politics – endless going on about Obama and then at one point he stopped the show to tell the audience about his dead mother.

So much for entertainment. Absolute crap, I’m now extremely wary about paying big bucks for gigs.

TheGreenManalishi
24-11-2009, 10:53
Izzy Stradlin - we loved his Guns stuff, so we went to see him at the T&C in Leeds, the sound was crap, and the performance was worse.

dishonourable mention - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow in London about 95 - didnt play ANY of the best songs. I was well pissed off.

DanJennings
24-11-2009, 11:04
Izzy Stradlin - we loved his Guns stuff, so we went to see him at the T&C in Leeds, the sound was crap, and the performance was worse.

Some friends of mine had an interesting experience with another ex member of GNR. He went to see Steven Adler's GNR tribute band 'Adler's Appetite' at a small rock club in the Birmingham area (either JB's or The Robin, I can't remember).
Apparently the band was great, although obviously nothing on the real thing...
At the end of the gig, the band went off stage, leaving Adler still sitting on his drumstool. The roadies dismantled his kit, while he was still sitting there, and he gradually fell asleep. Something must have woken him up though, because his head perked up, he looked around, and starting drumming as if he had a kit there...
He stopped after a while, and my friend who was drinking at the bar, asked if he wanted to join them for a drink. He said in a slurring slightly pathetic voice, "I don't think I can" before some roadies picked him up, put him in a wheelchair and wheeled him the bar, where he took it upon himself to try (and fail) to pull any woman he could see. Someone asked where he lived, and he said "ummm I can't remember" so my friend stepped in and told him "You live in Hollywood Steven" No wonder he got sacked eh?

St3v3
24-11-2009, 11:12
I was hugely disappointed with UNKLE at Glastonbury; instead of the razor-sharp downbeat electronic trip-hop we have come to expect from their fantastic albums, we were subjected to a full, and sloppy, band playing, a la (the awful) Pendulum. They sounded like they were a parody of themselves! Gutted.

Another that my friend went to (not strictly me, but he goes on about it so much that I feel it warrants mentioning!) was indie darling PJ Harvey. £60.00 a ticket. Dreadful sound quality aaaand used a metronome to keep herself in time the whole way through! :mental: Laughable.