PDA

View Full Version : A visit from Graham Tricker

Reffc
07-12-2015, 18:03
Thought I'd share some thoughts on some fabulous sounding Tron amplifiers brought over by Graham Tricker. Graham was kind enough to bring over some of his latest creations for me to listen to and it made for a memorable day with some truly fab sounds and excuse to share a few laughs and discussions on music.

The kit:

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/Hifi/IMG_0650_zpsymtojggi.jpg

and:

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/Hifi/IMG_0655_zps7jkxfolp.jpg

Source: My Michell Gyro SE with SME 309 Magnesium and Zyx R50 Bloom;

Loudspeakers: RFC Canterburys

Cabling: All from Graham's Tron stable, using solid silver cabling and Eichmann RCA connectors/bananas

Whilst I've known Graham for a few years now, I'm ashamed to say that I've never really taken the trouble to listen to some of what he produces, and until today, I hadn't realised what I'd been missing!

We have some Tron Convergence 50W SS Class AB push/pull monobloc amps, Tron Seven Preamp, and a superb Tron Convergence MC phono stage. The phono is a passive design using a very short signal path, high quality custom wound transformers, choke regulated power supply and a valve complement I think of one 12AU7 and two 12AX7s. I was really impressed by the phono stage which had none of the expected valve euphonics that seem to emanate from many valve stages. It offered a big and expansive sound stage with really clean timbre to instruments and vocals, good transparency and great detail but didn't lose out on heft or scale. Really very impressive!

The preamp and monos together were notable by how little they seemed to interfere with the sources and the best complement I can think of is that they competed on an equal footing with my previous Albarry amplifiers but at quite a bit less cost. If anything, these Tron amps were more delicate in the way they handled most music and had greater depth of detail. Bass control was good with bags of grip, and a good taut dryish sounding bass, quite natural and the way I like it....not overblown as with some amps.

Casework was very nicely executed too.

Music varied across the day but the menu included a few Jazz recordings (first pressing on LP of "Jazz at the Pawnshop" which I recommend to anyone who hasn't yet come across this album), Supertramp (Crime of the Century with the high energy track of Rudy); some close mic'd studio and live performances by various talented female singers (sorry...can't remember the artists as Graham brought these and I failed to take notes!), and Neil Young's "Live at the Cellar Door" album.

I've got to say what a delight Graham's visit was. He's a top bloke and a very talented designer and manufacturer and I could quite happily have settled on the connected bits of kit today as my "destination system". Apart from the kit, it was nice to spend a day with someone whom I have so much in common with, outside of hifi as well as within it.

Graham seemed equally as taken with the RFC Canterburys so I think enjoyed his visit as much as I enjoyed having him here. The Canterburys sounded very natural and unforced with a lifelike sense of scale and presence when matched with Graham's amps and phonostage that only big efficient loudspeakers seem capable of delivering. They never seemed to get flustered with more complex pieces or higher volumes and with the Trons at the helm, bass was always remarkably agile, taut and controlled. Anyone with preconceptions about vented designs would surely change their minds with an audition on these connected bits of kit! Part of the secret lies in just how the vent tuning has been implemented. Group delay has been lowered from typical ported designs and there's no audible overhang or boom at all. Consider the sound more like large sealed boxes and you get the idea.

What I took away from today was just how talented some of the UKs cottage industry producers are, and also that it's not all about the kit. It is a good thing now and again to have these get togethers and share experiences, love of music and the odd anecdotes with like minded thoroughly decent human beings with hardly a bad word to say about anyone, and Graham fits into that category.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/Hifi/IMG_0659_zpsjfo29ync.jpg

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/Hifi/IMG_0663_zpst9aambyp.jpg

If you want to move the thread to the trade pages Marco, I'd understand, but thought this the best place to post Graham's visit as it was an informal get together to listen to some good tunes and have a chinwag.

Firebottle
07-12-2015, 18:34
Excellent Paul, always good to read of a cracking get together :)

Puffin
07-12-2015, 19:02
I heard the GT Audio room at Windsor earlier in the year. Very nice.

Reffc
07-12-2015, 19:21
I heard the GT Audio room at Windsor earlier in the year. Very nice.

I've not heard the Devore Orangutan speakers that Graham uses Rob, and think he may have used those at Windsor. Must try to get over to Grahams for a visit in New Year as they sound promising.

Reffc
07-12-2015, 19:22
Excellent Paul, always good to read of a cracking get together :)

Yep.. all work and no play isn't good, so its refreshing to share a day with fellow music lovers.

petrat
07-12-2015, 23:23
Oh, that is very interesting! Monoblocks that will drive big Tannoys :clap:

I once visited Graham's about twenty years ago. It was memorable for the amazing system (spu, platine verdier, tron and avant garde ... unfortunately, none of which I could afford or accomodate at the time) and his seemingly endless knowledge and enthusiasm. Top man.

Reffc
08-12-2015, 15:49
Oh, that is very interesting! Monoblocks that will drive big Tannoys :clap:

I once visited Graham's about twenty years ago. It was memorable for the amazing system (spu, platine verdier, tron and avant garde ... unfortunately, none of which I could afford or accomodate at the time) and his seemingly endless knowledge and enthusiasm. Top man.

Graham is a mine of information and an excellent audio engineer. He's also an absolute gent.

There's plenty of SS monos available to drive big Tannoys, few though are that affordable. What Graham has done is to design and build (in a perfectionist manner) some of the finest sounding SS amplifiers I think I've ever heard partnered with Tannoys at what will be an affordable cost (when the prices are made public ;) )