PDA

View Full Version : WJAAS - Western Japanese Audio Appreciation Society or a connection to Japanese Style

twogoodears
12-10-2009, 10:45
Hi all!

After a recent visit to Japan, also visiting some audio masters and workshops, please forgive me for hinting a link to my Blog with some writing, pixes and report about the above trip, hoping to meet someone interest on the matter.

http://twogoodears.blogspot.com/

Best,

Dave Cawley
12-10-2009, 11:25
Wow!! Brilliant! Just missing some pictures of turntables and the pretty girls!

Regards

Dave

Marco
12-10-2009, 11:31
Awesome, Stefano! Thanks for sharing your pictures. I'll comment in more detail later :)

Marco.

John
12-10-2009, 12:04
Agree with with Dave C

Barry
12-10-2009, 15:48
Hello Stefano,

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Nw4pZg3f-xs/StCKH4yvTxI/AAAAAAAABs4/YIftWYGt9eg/s400/DSC02407.JPG

This looks like one of the hand built EMG cartridges made for Alistair Roberson Akerman of SME. He commisioned two to be made to allow him to develop the Series II versions of his arm. Can you confirm if this is true?

Excellent blog - thank you for sharing your visit to Japan with us. Must admit I agree with your findings of some modern audio systems: too big; too loud; too 'shouty'.

Thanks again

Regards

twogoodears
12-10-2009, 17:47
Thanks all.

Hello Barry and thanks for your comments, as well... this very cartridge is an Ikeda 9 in hammertone classy, old-timey finish and integrated headshell, actually the property of Tadao Endo-san of A.L.E. fame, like the one in tujia wood - also a "9", showed near my Stanwell pipe for comparison :eyebrows:

You're right, anyway: it reminds me to some '60s designs - i.e. Pierre Clement from France, the EMG/SME's you quoted, which I only saw once on Ebay (auctioned by Nick Beasley's The Auditorium in Diss, if I remember correctly...) and other cantileverless designs beside Decca's of any vintage I'm not aware of... a very common "shape & function" stuff in broadcasting audio for decades.

Cheers.

hifi_dave
12-10-2009, 18:24
Wowie Stefano - so very interesting and fantastic pics.

pure sound
12-10-2009, 18:37
It was also interesting to see & learn more about Audio Tekne. I've only ever seen & heard the little IT2 over here in Europe so its nice to see the bigger stuff. Were they using the huge dual mono LCR phono stage?

twogoodears
13-10-2009, 07:34
Only saw it on a shelf as a static display... mind-boggling price-tags, also in Japan...

Have a look at yr. convenience to the nice NHK's 23+ minutes documentary about Audio Tekne in a previous, older WJAAS' post...

Like a bespoke Jermyn Street's handmade tuxedo, also an handmade amp costs:confused: