PDA

View Full Version : Bless her heart!

Filterlab
08-04-2008, 16:06
Well, my mate at work this morning showed me a link to a website that sells retro style 'hi-fi' equipment. His friend Laura is looking to get a record deck to play some records that she's recently picked up from a second-hand shop and had asked him to ask me if this record player was any good. I think you'll have guessed by now that it in fact isn't any sodding good at all, in fact I don't think I've ever seen anything so pathetic in my life.

Anyway, it was priced at £130. I said to her that I could get her a much much much better system for exactly that much. So, I jumped on the web and went to Dave's site, Dave at Green Home Electronics. I chose a cracking little turntable (a Pioneer PL-12D) with a Shure cartridge, a lovely amp (Technics SU-V500) and a stunning little pair of speakers (Heco 220S). Yep, that little lot for £130. One quick van journey over to Bracknell later and I had in my possession a great little system for what is interconnect money. :)

I am going over to Laura's place tomorrow evening to set it up for her. :)

Here's the Pioneer/Technics/Heco system (apologies for mobile phone shot):

http://s560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/random_stuff/P-T-Hsystem.jpg

...and this (believe it or not) is how she was going to spend her hard earned:

http://s560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/random_stuff/joking.jpg

Anyone care to bet which sounds best?!

Anyway, many thanks to Dave at Green Home Electronics. That place is a little grotto of pleasure, with loads and loads of kit at daft prices to get started on the hi-fi road. Top bloke too, friendly and obliging.

Check his site out: Green Home Electronics (http://www.greenhomeelectronics.co.uk/)

snapper
08-04-2008, 16:25
Nice one,Rob.

Remember to play safe.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/davhar/Durex-Pleasure-Kit-Out.jpg

:eyebrows:

:ner:

Filterlab
08-04-2008, 16:47
I'm not 'setting it up' in that way mate, unless she's really grateful and asks what she can do in return.

:eyebrows: x 10 :)

greenhomeelectronics
08-04-2008, 17:02
Thanks for the kind comments, Rob, It was a pleasure to serve you. I hope your friend is delighted with the purchase.
All the best and please thank your friend for her valued custom.:)
Dave.

Marco
08-04-2008, 20:19
Now that's a heart-warming little story. Real hi-fi wins the day over plastic mass-produced bollocks, and a good dealer gets some business to boot.

Good work, Rob :)

Marco.

Steve Toy
09-04-2008, 02:00
Aye, I'll certainly agree with that.

That micro singing-(not really)-and-dancing "system" doesn't even look as cute.

markf
10-04-2008, 16:20
I would have been tempted to buy her this from the store:-

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/markf_pfm/Sony-PS-FL5.jpg

Sony PS-FL5 Fully Automatic Front Loading Turntable - RARE
£125.00
if all she needed was a turntable.

Filterlab
10-04-2008, 17:52
Unfortunately she needed everything, but that is a lovely unit, Dave showed it to me when was there. Not seen a Sony like that before.

Marco
11-04-2008, 09:07
That's a nice thing, and as rare as a hard-on in a nunnery.

Why not treat yourself, Rob? It could be a nice easy way to get into vinyl :)

Or don't you see yourself ever going down that road?

Marco.

Filterlab
11-04-2008, 09:37
Not now, although I did as little as five months ago.

To be honest, the expenditure would have to be substantial as I have no turntable, no pre-amp and the power amp needs to be upgraded first. Also I have no records and I don't know of anywhere around here that sells them. In addition my current set up destroys every source I've ever heard and it's perfect for my ears, add to that the convenience factor and it'd have to be a VERY strong reason to start all over again with a turntable.

Yes, if I still had some of my records that I threw in the bin ten years ago then fair enough, but to start from scratch just to obtain a 'different' sound would be a bit odd, especially given that the sound I have is exactly what I've been looking for. Don't get me wrong, I love turntables and their sound, but frankly I just can't be bothered. :)

greenhomeelectronics
15-04-2008, 16:49
Hi Rob, how did your friend like her system?
Dave

Filterlab
23-04-2008, 12:19
Sorry for delay in following up.

Yeah, she loves it to bits thanks. She went record shopping in East Molesey on Saturday and spent two hours looking through records, came away with a few.

The sound from that little system is ace, everything's nice and balanced. Unfortunately the room it's in is a little small and the speakers are not on stands, but I have isolated them and the turntable as much as possible using various bits and pieces, the result is very nice.

Cheers for your help Dave, cracking value! :)

greenhomeelectronics
23-04-2008, 18:43
Glad to be of service and glad that's somebody else that can enjoy thier music. I think you chose well there and am sure it sounds superb
All the best,
Dave.

Alex D
23-04-2008, 21:09
Sorry for delay in following up.

Yeah, she loves it to bits thanks. She went record shopping in East Molesey on Saturday and spent two hours looking through records, came away with a few.

The sound from that little system is ace, everything's nice and balanced. Unfortunately the room it's in is a little small and the speakers are not on stands, but I have isolated them and the turntable as much as possible using various bits and pieces, the result is very nice.

Cheers for your help Dave, cracking value! :)

What record store is there in East Molesey? Is it any good?

Cheers,
Alex

Filterlab
23-04-2008, 21:16
There's a huge one, actually it might be in West Molesey. It's next to the sorting office on the Walton Road. It's very good apparently. :)