PDA

View Full Version : Clones Audio AP2 ‘giant killer’ preamplifier test review

Neil McCauley
02-11-2015, 08:04
Neil McCauley writes:

Clones who?

A good question. A new brand in the UK, this Hong Kong based organisation was founded on 12/12/12. This is what they say on their minimalist website:

‘Our goal is creating affordable components bringing you closer to the soul of music.
Our goal is producing ELEGANT, AFFORDABLE audio gear, carrying you into the HEART of MUSIC.
“But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.” - Deuteronomy 8:18

The italics are theirs, not mine!

Cynical? Who, me?

Well okay, fair enough – it’s easy to be cynical. Doesn’t every maker state something like this? Moreover the initial impression from the weighty but as yet unpacked carton was not entirely encouraging. Plain cardboard. Hardly an Apple product in this respect. The instruction manual is rudimentary, to put it mildly. Hardly an auspicious start.

But then it gets better; very much better in fact.

Immediately I was struck by the superb build quality from the black anodized bolt-together case and the first class rear panel connections. Beyond superb in fact because within the price band, this quality of construction is outstanding, possibly exceptional.

Encouraging!

So, back to the maker’s blurb – ‘AP2 offers a significant step forward in capturing the subtleties, nuances and emotions of music. All aspects of the signal flow are enhanced with lower noise and distortion figures, offering a rich and vibrant audio experience.’

It’s easy to pick statements like this apart; all too easy in fact. So there’s no point other than to explore and possibly ridicule the phrase ‘a significant step forward in capturing the subtleties, nuances and emotions of music.’

For the rest of the review: http://www.hifianswers.com/2015/11/clones-audio-ap2-giant-killer-preamplifier-test-review-by-neil-mccauley/

Rothchild
02-11-2015, 10:14
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization

Howard, Why not just put your magazine link in your sig and join the conversation here? - if you've enough interesting things to say then folk will want to check out rest of your writing - at the moment you appear to just be farming backlinks....

Neil McCauley
02-11-2015, 11:05
Howard, Why not just put your magazine link in your sig and join the conversation here? - if you've enough interesting things to say then folk will want to check out rest of your writing - at the moment you appear to just be farming backlinks....[/QUOTE]

Why not pass this to Marco and see what he has to say?

If he agrees, then I will

Thank you for the suggestion

:)

Rothchild
02-11-2015, 11:09
Thanks Howard,

I don't really feel the need for Marco's approval / agreement to be able to comment that it looks like you're spamming backlinks in order to improve the SEO rating of your site (because that's what it looks like). Presumably your subs as a trade member have to gain you some benefits...

Neil McCauley
02-11-2015, 11:26
Thanks Howard, I don't really feel the need for Marco's approval / agreement to be able to comment that it looks like you're spamming backlinks in order to improve the SEO rating of your site (because that's what it looks like). Presumably your subs as a trade member have to gain you some benefits...

Hello again. You are of course entitled to your perceptions as indeed we all are. If you are of the view that I have an ulterior motive, then once again that is your prerogative. Yes, I accept you might indeed think that – but I can’t possibly comment. I guess your mind is already made up.

Adding fuel to the fire of the endless and counterproductive 'trade' versus 'civilians' dialogue really isn't something I have any use for.

Marco invited me to join and as such my AoS ‘relationship’ is primarily with him and then the moderators – and then everyone else. As I understand it, he’s the forum owner and he makes the rules and my obligation – in this respect – is to obey them. As I see it, it’s as simple as that. If he tells me I'm delinquent re this then of course I will accept his guidelines as no doubt in a similar situation you would too. Am I correct?

That’s an entirely reasonable stance don’t you agree?

Re ‘benefits’ of being a trade member (LFD4U Ltd - exclusively LFD Audio)), you might indeed think that – but, once again I can’t possibly comment – because as I understand it, that information is confidential. That said, you could ask the forum owner perhaps? At this stage, I don’t have anything further to add but thank you anyway.

Howard

:)

PS: I'm unclear how my trading on AoS as LFD4U could have its SEO boosted by 'spamming' a rival product such as Clones Audio.

Arkless Electronics
02-11-2015, 14:45
It seems this product is based on an LFD product.... just say'in...

Neil McCauley
02-11-2015, 16:07
It seems this product is based on an LFD product.... just say'in...

Really? It didn't read like that to me. Neil spotted a sonic similarity, not a like-for-like physical copy, notwithstanding the admittedly inconvenient / unhelpful Clones Audio brand name..