PDA

View Full Version : Firebottle KIN line/phono amplifier

Firebottle
28-10-2015, 07:40
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/Paramotorpilot/Firebottle/P1040937.jpg?1435927574947&1435927579437

Valve based preamplifier using innovative 'super linear' circuit design, distributed regulation and passive RIAA equalisation.

4 line level inputs or 3 line level plus MM/MC phono input. Remote control of volume and mute.

Line level inputs: Gain 8dB, input impedance 100 Kohm.
Phono input: MM gain 40dB, input impedance 47 Kohm, MC gain 76dB, input impedance 100 ohms.

Output impedance: 20 ohms.

Line only KIN £1250, line/phono version £1750.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/Paramotorpilot/Firebottle/Firebottle%20KIN.jpg

Some testimonials of the KIN:

'The utter transparency and ability to resolve absolute detail was unbelievable. Instruments had a texture unlike anything I have heard and vocals were utterly sublime. The realism and direct contact to the recording made the hairs stand up on the back of your neck! The KIN simply peeled back the layers between you and the recording and left you with the musicians and all the ambience and realism of a live recording in a 3D sound stage that was utterly convincing.
This amp is truly fabulous.'

'And if you are in the market for a £1750 remote control pre-amp with a seriously wonderful phonostage onboard, then you would be doing yourself a massive dis-favour if you ignore the KIN pre-amp.
Really fabulous kit.'

'Had the wonderful privilege of listening to this amp today. I do like the build quality. Feels very solid and nice quality. Volume knob is very smooth. The remote is excellent compared to the rather poor offerings I have had before from amps costing many times as much as this one.'

'BIG sound and yet very detailed. No fatigue even when pushed hard , even on some recordings I have found a tad harsh in some systems sometimes.'

brian2957
28-10-2015, 07:52
Wow ! High praise indeed Alan :) . Will this preamp be at the next Nebo ?

Firebottle
28-10-2015, 09:19
The first phono version will be at NEBO6, courtesy of Jimbo.
However this unit has a slight hum when switched to MC, this has now been eradicated in the design.

brian2957
28-10-2015, 10:34
Nice one Alan . Look forward to hearing it .

YNWaN
28-10-2015, 10:42
Looks very smart I must say :).

Firebottle
17-11-2015, 11:51
It's a first to have too much gain but that's what I had on the MC setting.

I have now found a solution and the gain structure is better balanced. New figures are:

Line stage gain: 8dB
MM input gain: 37dB
MC input gain: 68dB

So the overall maximum gain with phono is 45dB for MM and 76dB for MC, most suitable for all MC cartridges.

:)

mikeyb
17-01-2016, 09:46
Hi Alan,

which phono stage is in the Kin, only asking as I am now back in the market for a stage and was wondering about going the whole hog and doing the pre/power thing lol.

Might not happen, as I am liable to change my mind in the next hour or so, but I am after a phono stage and possibly a new amp to match my PMC 21 speakers ( which my wife tells me are STAYING! )

Mike.

Firebottle
17-01-2016, 11:31
Hi Mike, the phono stage in the KIN is the 'piece de resistance', it is a step up from the Firebottle 2, which is itself a step up from the 'Plus'.

It uses my super linear circuit throughout to give very transparent and open sound. Quality capacitors are used, Mundorf ZN coupling capacitors and close tolerance polystyrene capacitors for the RIAA equalisation.

Controlled DC heater supply plus fully regulated high voltage supply. It uses a very low noise FET in a cascode circuit for the MC input, MC/MM being switch selectable.

I am working on offering the KIN phono stage as a stand alone phono preamp.

Cheers,
Alan

mikeyb
17-01-2016, 11:48
Hi Mike, the phono stage in the KIN is the 'piece de resistance', it is a step up from the Firebottle 2, which is itself a step up from the 'Plus'.

It uses my super linear circuit throughout to give very transparent and open sound. Quality capacitors are used, Mundorf ZN coupling capacitors and close tolerance polystyrene capacitors for the RIAA equalisation.

Controlled DC heater supply plus fully regulated high voltage supply. It uses a very low noise FET in a cascode circuit for the MC input, MC/MM being switch selectable.

Cheers,
Alan

Hi Alan,

whooooosh right over my head lol, but sounds good, I'll have a think and maybe re-advertise my amp again and see if I can release some funds - it's worth around £1000-1100 so that would go a long way to funding a Kin and power amp of some sorts whether it be the Air or an alternative.

Does the Kin come in Silver to match the Air?

Thanks for the info.

Mike.

Firebottle
17-01-2016, 13:50
Afraid the KIN is only black and the AIR is only silver.
The suppliers don't tend to have both :scratch:

Elephantears
17-01-2016, 19:08
Is there a loan unit doing the rounds at any point Alan? I would love to try this with the AIR or without.

Firebottle
18-01-2016, 07:34
No KIN loan at the moment, sorry.