PDA

View Full Version : Travel closed middle range Headphones

Vicioussid
05-10-2009, 06:44
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find a pair of headphones that are in the middle category. I want to use them for travel and in the office. They need to be in the closed-back headphone range. They need to be comfortable and not look like I work on a moon station.

I have owned a pair of BOSE Triports which were ok. The sound was clear and bass was ok too. I have owned two pairs and both broke/snapped at the joint of the headphone and head band. I than bought a pair of the BOSE OE Triports headphones, slight improvement on clarity and bass however there was a bit of an art on placement on the head. If you are slightly off you loose the bass, anyway left headphone speaker stopped working. So BOSE can go to hell.

I than bought some higher end headphones but I don't want to over handle them so I want to get some headies that are in the middle range price and sound wise. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD435 but these a bit bulky an not very comfortable, but they do sound great. I have a pair of Sennheiser 50MMi In-ear used with my iPhone but they lack a certain dimension.

Some options:
Sennheiser
HD 228 On Ear/closed back
I had a quick listen to the HD238 (Open style headies) at an Apple store and wasn't too impressed, sounded a bit mushy, but they were comfortable.

AKG
K450 On Ear/closed back - These look interesting.
K518 LE (On Ear?) closed back
Haven't heard any of these.

Comfort is a key factor. Grado headphones might sound good but they look very uncomfortable. They have to keep on my head for hours.

So, anyone with some advice

Alex_UK
05-10-2009, 07:11
Sid - I use Sennheiser PX100s as my travel/work 'phones - they are open, but the PX200s are the closed back version. I've been very happy with the 100s - they fold up cleverly and are comfortable for long periods of wear. They seem very robust after a couple of years of abuse. The 100s sound brilliant - for cheapies - I suspect the 200s use the same drivers. Have a read of some of the user reviews on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-PX200-Black-Closed-Headphone/dp/B000089GN4/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

Grado 'phones (well my SR60s at least) are suprisingly comfy, and sound brilliant but they are a bit "moon station" to quote you! ;) The i-grado though (neck band design) look pretty normal and use the same drivers. (They're open though, so don't fit your criteria.)

No experience of the AKGs either I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Alex

Vicioussid
05-10-2009, 07:51
Hey Alex,

Yes the PX100-200 I forgot about these. I have heard good things about these headies. I have a pair of the PMX 60 but the sound really leaks, feels like a get about 60% and the rest goes to the people around me, my eras do ache a little with these too.

They're a nice size, nothing comes close to their size, look comfortable with the leather pads and at their price its too easy to not test them out. Could be on a winner here.

Hey that fake comparison is interesting on your link.

The Vinyl Adventure
05-10-2009, 08:38
Another vote for px200 from me (although my dog ate mine :()

Alex_UK
05-10-2009, 10:14
Hey that fake comparison is interesting on your link.

It never ceases to amaze me the sort of things that get copied - you'd think the cost of tooling, printing etc wouldn't make it worth while for a relatively low cost product.

Themis
05-10-2009, 11:09
I have an ATH-ES7. Gorgeous looks and average comfort. Superb sound (for the bucks).

DaveK
05-10-2009, 15:15
It never ceases to amaze me the sort of things that get copied - you'd think the cost of tooling, printing etc wouldn't make it worth while for a relatively low cost product.

Hi Alex,
I have often assumed (I know, one shouldn't ;) ), that one way round this tooling cost is if the pirate versions come out of the same factory as the originals, either seconds, out of the back door, or product of the 'night shift'. The non-tooled items are relativbely easier to produce.
I have some experience of doing business with mainland China and such things are not considered to be as despicable as they might be by 'legit' western companies.
Just my opinion.
Cheers,

Peter Galbavy
05-10-2009, 21:18
I have both the PX100 and 200s. The 100s I bought for myself a few years ago and are lovely and when a friend asked what I wanted for xmas two years ago (was it really that long ?) I said I wanted the PX200s. Well, she innocently found a pair on ebay - no case, £12 etc. - turned out to be fakes. She got the money back etc. and withsome reseach, the easiest way to tell is if you are offered them without the nifty carrying case... I got a pair of the real 200s later fromher and they sound real :) (Also, the printing is a dark grey, not black, on the head band on the real deal)

I haven't bought anything on flea bay for years. Wonder why ?