PDA

View Full Version : MAD Hi Fi+15 courses dinner Cable spagetti, baked crab with capacitor, atc sashimi

MAD
03-10-2009, 17:48
Hi Everyone,

It was so nice to met so many of you at the National Audio Show. I think it is a good idea to meet you guys again in soon. I am thinking it would be a great idea to listen to something, eat & drink a lot.... Instead of just demonstrate our stuffs, it would be nice to hear how they work with your stuffs.

I am organizing an AOS gathering on 17th October & 31st October (Originally one day only but many of you shown interest to come along) What's going to happen then? There will be a MAD Feast with DAC, Cables & Speakers. Of course I don't suggest you eat them, electronics are full of toxic chemicals, although our stuffs use lead free silver solder, I still advise you to eat the 15 course instead. Okay! Let's stop talking rubbish!

My friends restaurant called Sole Luna, next to South Kensington Tube station, after 1830 you can find free parking. Sole Luna is an Italian Restaurant you never know who you are going to meet there, once my friend introduced me to Woody Allen & various celebrities. The good thing for his place is use 'discreet components', that means it is a very discreet place (Private Dinning) and 'components' means many dishes, as I said it's going to be 15 courses, not 3, not 5, it is 15!!!! My freind will cook in a very special fusion style, he will charge us only £25 included unlimited supply of drinks (during the dinner). Please make sure you don't eat hi fi after binge drinking. (Perhaps you can try to ask me to sell you cables for £1 when I am piss, you never know I might say yes!). What you can expect is I cannot tell you what he's going to cook, but it is like Naim, Linn, ATC, MAD & Beresford, whatever they make is expected to be a brilliant one. You can never have the same dish again at his place, everytime you visit there is a new suprise.

What I am proposing is we go there on Saturday 17th or/and 31st October 2009. We can start early from 1400, I will set up a nice hi fi system (it is always very neutral sounding ones) there, and you guys can bring your own stuffs to compare and contrast with each others. I will bring some of my cables there as well. I think it would be a great saturday(s) day and night out. If you are interested to come along, please kindly send me a PM, so that I can organise the event. It is a wife friendly event. Please bring them with you so they can form their own forum and discuss how to stop us spend crazy money on hi-fi, obviously we can discuss a strategic plan to fight back tactfully and make them an audiophile.

P.S If you are veggie, please let me know in advance.

MAD
03-10-2009, 18:03
Up till this minute 18:55, the following people confirmed they will come

17/10/2009

Stanley Beresford + Wife
Adrian
JJ
Fallenangel
Peter
:gig::cool:

31/10/2009

Marco + Del
JJ + Est
:lol::gig:

I will talk to my hotel friends and try to get the best rate for you guys.:ner:

Marco
03-10-2009, 18:05
Oi, Stan, can you not change to the 31st? It would be good to meet you, matey! :cool:

Unfortunately, we can't do the 17th.

Marco.

Barry
03-10-2009, 18:13
Hi JJ,

Can you put me down for the 31st?

Regards

John
03-10-2009, 18:16
I could make either date and would love to meet more people from AOS I tend to mostly eat Veggie food but love good fish as well

Marco
03-10-2009, 18:18
Nice one, lads! I sense this is going to be a good night! :eyebrows:

Marco.

P.S JJ, don't forget that Del is a veggie.

Alex_UK
03-10-2009, 18:43
Having a 12 month old is going to preclude me & Mrs Alex this year, unfortunately (and I don't really like to do this sort of thing alone), but hopefully I will get to meet some of you one day, and if we end up with an annual AOS Dinner, then next year she'll be able to stay with Nanny overnight (my little girl that is, not the Missus!)

But - make sure you tell us all about it, and well done to JJ for arranging this - have fun!

Steve Toy
03-10-2009, 22:19
I would love to go but folks insist on dropping these events on saturdays.

Marco
03-10-2009, 22:20
That's 'cos we've all got normal jobs (i.e. off at the weekend)! :ner: ;)

Marco.

DaveK
03-10-2009, 22:31
I would love to go but folks insist on dropping these events on saturdays.

Hi Steve,
From what I've read on many posts on here there may be a significant number who might prefer a mid week 'do' and thereby preclude the likes of selfish Marco from attending - not everyone is a Mon to Fri 9 to 5 wage slave, or even any sort of wage slave :lol: .
I have no subject or venue in mind but I wonder if there are enough potential paticipants to make some sort of gathering worthwhile?
The fact that Marco wasn't able to attend may well appeal to some (sorry Marco, you know I don't mean it ;) ).
Cheers,

Marco
03-10-2009, 22:35
From what I've read on many posts on here there may be a significant number who might prefer a mid week 'do' and thereby preclude the likes of selfish Marco from attending - not everyone is a Mon to Fri 9 to 5 wage slave, or even any sort of wage slave.

Indeed. I'm my own boss, matey, so I can do whatever I like! I work the hours or days I want, or not at all, as the case may be :cool:

Marco.

DaveK
03-10-2009, 22:46
I'm my own boss, matey, so I can do whatever I like! I work the hours or days I want, or not at all, as the case may be :cool:

Marco.

Easy Marco, easy, chillax! I know full well that you run your own business - it was intended as a bit of banter, leaping to my friend Steve's defence as he has leapt to mine in the past ;) . The only time I've spent in your company did nothing to make me think, "Never again", rather the reverse, so :ner: .
Open another bottle and put some nice relaxing music on ;) .
Cheers,

Marco
03-10-2009, 22:50
I'm perfectly chilled, daddy-o... In fact, I'm just off to spin a few tunes on the ol' DJ deck before hitting me scratcher :)

Marco.

Steve Toy
03-10-2009, 22:59
I would like to suggest that if there are two dates one should be a weekday. There may be considerable interest.

DaveK
03-10-2009, 23:06
..........I'm just off to spin a few tunes on the ol' DJ deck before hitting me scratcher :)

Marco.

Good idea - thought that was what you needed :lolsign: enjoy.

Will
04-10-2009, 00:32
When I was a student in the 60's South Kensington was my lunchtime eating patch.
I looked up the Sole Luna and in the 60's it was the SKR good for a plate of Herrings Eggs and Chips.
There was a Hungarian chap who had a 2 table Cafe opposite on the corner and served a great Goulash.
Accross from the station in a side road was small Cafe that served the best steak & kidney puddings and stuffed hearts I,ve ever had.
Also Dino's still there I think but that was after a night in the Hoop & Toy.

Yum Yummmm.

Marco
04-10-2009, 09:33
Are you coming down then to join us, Will? :)

Marco.

StanleyB
04-10-2009, 09:45
Oi, Stan, can you not change to the 31st? It would be good to meet you, matey! :cool:

Unfortunately, we can't do the 17th.

I have to attend a 50th birthday bash with the family. Just about any other day in October if fine with me. So if some people prefer a weekday, that's OK at this end:). Anyone coming down the M1 or M40 can even park up by my place and I can be the chauffeur to and from the restaurant.

I was wondering if we can make the invitation open to other forums members if there are free tables left?

Marco
04-10-2009, 09:52
No worries, me old son, I'm sure there'll be other times :smoking:

Marco.

MAD
04-10-2009, 20:56
Hey Lads and Ladies,

Thanks for your feedbacks! Let me call my friend tomorrow and change the first dinner to a weekday one. Is friday 16th any good? Or which evening from 19-23 suit you the best? If we have enough people, I don't mind to have a feast on everyday, perhaps we can pursuade the owner to name after his private function room to 'AOS Audiophile Room', like my mate's Mosimann Club, they have 'David DOPE' 'Mont Blanc' etc.... :ner: But I doubt very much he can survive for long!!! Perhaps we can ask Mr. Brown to fund a 'Royal Society of Sound'.... or Perhaps an Ministry of Hi-Fi at 35 Whitehall (that's my day dream! he he.... see the flash on www.madengland.com)

MAD
04-10-2009, 21:03
I have to attend a 50th birthday bash with the family. Just about any other day in October if fine with me. So if some people prefer a weekday, that's OK at this end:). Anyone coming down the M1 or M40 can even park up by my place and I can be the chauffeur to and from the restaurant.

I was wondering if we can make the invitation open to other forums members if there are free tables left?

Hey, you need a double decker for everyone:lol:....

MAD
06-10-2009, 09:01
Having a 12 month old is going to preclude me & Mrs Alex this year, unfortunately (and I don't really like to do this sort of thing alone), but hopefully I will get to meet some of you one day, and if we end up with an annual AOS Dinner, then next year she'll be able to stay with Nanny overnight (my little girl that is, not the Missus!)

But - make sure you tell us all about it, and well done to JJ for arranging this - have fun!

My 18 month would love to play with your 12month.

MAD
06-10-2009, 09:11
When I was a student in the 60's South Kensington was my lunchtime eating patch.
I looked up the Sole Luna and in the 60's it was the SKR good for a plate of Herrings Eggs and Chips.
There was a Hungarian chap who had a 2 table Cafe opposite on the corner and served a great Goulash.
Accross from the station in a side road was small Cafe that served the best steak & kidney puddings and stuffed hearts I,ve ever had.
Also Dino's still there I think but that was after a night in the Hoop & Toy.

Yum Yummmm.

The Sole Luna changed hand, and my friend opened a new Japanese fast food restaurant, all IC students go there. I guest you are a IC grad in EE? Will you come along on the 31st ?

MAD
06-10-2009, 10:03
Ideal with Cars

My friend Rahim's hotel at Carnary Wharf, a very pretty hotel with car parking facilities at £12.50 per night. The rate is http://www.radisson.com/reservation/rateSearch.do

For those who want to come with STANLEY BERESFORD's CAR

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/925/en/availsearch?bcFrom=null&gdFlag=null&start=11 Holiday Inn Brent Cross

Hi End Luxary

Another friend of mine works for a five star botique hotel in the City of London offered us an AOS rate at £175 + VAT per night, he will also throw in bkfst for 2 pax per rooms, worth £20 per pax and an upgrade to a better room. http://www.theetoncollection.com/content.aspx?pageID=430

If any of you are very fortunate, I can ask my friends at the Ritz and Mandarin Oriental for you. Ritz is the best English hotel (in my own opinion, I was a Manager there thousand years ago). Mandarin is very posch and you can walk back there (15 mins walk). I am not suprised you may bump up with President Obama or Jintao Hu there.

(Economical choices near the restaurant if you are going to get really piss!!!:doh: Don't kill yourself!!!:lol:)

If you are not driving, the Radisson Vanderbilt is ideal, it is very close to the Sole Luna restaurant, on 10 mins walk! If you are not driving this is ideal for you http://www.radissonedwardian.com/home/reservation/rateSearch.do

The Holiday inn Kensington / Crowne Plaza Kensington are good choices as well.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/925/en/availsearch?bcFrom=null&gdFlag=null&start=11

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Thanks!

MAD
06-10-2009, 10:41
17/10/2009

Stanley Beresford + Wife
Adrian
JJ
Fallenangel
Peter
:gig::cool:

31/10/2009

Marco + Del
JJ + Est
John
Barry.d.hunt
Jason b
Jothebus + Wife

MAD
06-10-2009, 17:51
I just confirmed with my friend, he can do free room upgrade for the AOS bookings.:eyebrows: Those who needed accomodation who drive can seriously consider about this hotel and book asap (I found only £70 this morning on their website), it is a very posh hotel with modern design. :mental:

MAD
08-10-2009, 12:35
31/10/2009

David Price + Wu Price
Marco + Del
JJ + Est
John
Barry.d.hunt
Jason b
Jothebus + Wife
Santose

My Audio Design
E-shop: www.shop.madengland.com
E-mail: sales@madengland.com
Tel: 020 7839 8880

Marco
08-10-2009, 19:22
Hi JJ,

Nice talking to you again today :)

We've just booked up at the Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt (£110 per night for two), so we'll definitely see you on the 31st! :cool:

Marco.

MAD
18-10-2009, 11:06
Hi Steve,
From what I've read on many posts on here there may be a significant number who might prefer a mid week 'do' and thereby preclude the likes of selfish Marco from attending - not everyone is a Mon to Fri 9 to 5 wage slave, or even any sort of wage slave :lol: .
I have no subject or venue in mind but I wonder if there are enough potential paticipants to make some sort of gathering worthwhile?
The fact that Marco wasn't able to attend may well appeal to some (sorry Marco, you know I don't mean it ;) ).
Cheers,

Are you coming for tomorrow's gathering?

Marco
18-10-2009, 11:36
No, JJ, Dave won't be coming.

Marco.

NickB
18-10-2009, 13:38
Hi Guys

My girlfriend and I will be in London that weekend so I am wondering if it to late to book a couple of places at the meal?

Many Thanks

Nick

Marco
18-10-2009, 13:39
Do you mean the one on the 31st, Nick? If so, it'll be good to meet you :)

Marco.

NickB
18-10-2009, 13:53
Hi Marco

Yes thats the one, having been on the odd Forum or two and read some of your posts with the odd titter or two (amongst the falling about laughing) likewise it would be good to meet this fierce monster :eyebrows:

Nick

Marco
18-10-2009, 15:31
Haha... Don't worry, matey, I don't bite..........usually :eyebrows:

;)

Look forward to seein' ya!

Marco.

MAD
18-10-2009, 15:34
Let me update the list in a minute, what's you girlfriends name? Good, we have about six ladies now.:eyebrows:

Hi Guys

My girlfriend and I will be in London that weekend so I am wondering if it to late to book a couple of places at the meal?

Many Thanks

Nick

NickB
18-10-2009, 15:57
Hi JJ

Her name is Alison King, and is my arbiter of how well the system is doing - she says that the better the sound the more you can tell that Mark Knopfler can't sing:lolsign:

The only one of us with any weird diet stuff is me who is not a great fan of seafood !!!! sorry cant be helped.

Cheers and looking forward to meeting you all.

Nick and Ali

MAD
18-10-2009, 16:04
Hi everyone,

You need to let me know sooner if you want to come for the on the 31st October 2009. We only have 10 places left now.

31/10/2009

David Price
Marco
JJ
John
Barry.d.hunt
Jason b
Jothebus
Santose

Esther
Wu Price
Del
Mrs. Jothebus
NickyB (NickyB's girlfriend)
Janine Elliot ??? TBC

StanleyB
20-10-2009, 08:05
I am still recovering from the first MAD dinner. The conversation flowed, and so did the exquisite dishes and fine drink selection.The glasses were never left empty for more than an instance, and the the courses came at an interval of about once every 5 minutes. It only stopped after the last person standing threw in the towel some two hours later. I made it more than 20 dishes, with no two dishes comprising the same ingredients. Mr Lee, the master of ceremony and chef of the highest order, left no stone unturned in terms of customer satisfaction.
It was one of the best dinner night out I have had for many years, and certainly the best as far as value for money is concerned. The bill of £25 a head was surely well below break even. My drinks bill alone would have touched £15 in any decent pub, let alone a restaurant of such good standing.
Mr. Lee even produced his highly treasured collection of photographs that included some famous Chinese filmstars who frequent his restaurant. If I was not otherwise engaged the 31st, I would have surely have liked to make it to the 2nd get together.

JJ did a very good job and if the 2nd dinner is even only half as good as the first, it will make AoS the envy of other forums. This is nothing like the get together at the local pub the night before a hifi show. It was the sort of dinner one would gladly take one's other half to for an entertaining night out.

MAD
20-10-2009, 09:03
I am still recovering from the first MAD dinner. The conversation flowed, and so did the exquisite dishes and fine drink selection.The glasses were never left empty for more than an instance, and the the courses came at an interval of about once every 5 minutes. It only stopped after the last person standing threw in the towel some two hours later. I made it more than 20 dishes, with no two dishes comprising the same ingredients. Mr Lee, the master of ceremony and chef of the highest order, left no stone unturned in terms of customer satisfaction.
It was one of the best dinner night out I have had for many years, and certainly the best as far as value for money is concerned. The bill of £25 a head was surely well below break even. My drinks bill alone would have touched £15 in any decent pub, let alone a restaurant of such good standing.
Mr. Lee even produced his highly treasured collection of photographs that included some famous Chinese filmstars who frequent his restaurant. If I was not otherwise engaged the 31st, I would have surely have liked to make it to the 2nd get together.

JJ did a very good job and if the 2nd dinner is even only half as good as the first, it will make AoS the envy of other forums. This is nothing like the get together at the local pub the night before a hifi show. It was the sort of dinner one would gladly take one's other half to for an entertaining night out.

Hey,

In fact Mr. Lee treated me (us) better than his son, it was a wonderful experience and big suprise for me last night. We should had sing 'wonderful tonight' before we go but obviously none of us have the mood to sing to seven good looking blokes!!!!!:gig:

MAD
20-10-2009, 09:23
Okay guys! On the 31st October 2009, I will be at the Sole Luna from 1400 and set up a system there.

Which comprise of:

Benchmark DAC1
MAD cables
MAD Balanced Power Isolation Platform
MAD My Purcell Loudspeakers
MAD Power Kord

It is a very ultra neutral and accurate sounding system, please feel free to bring your stuffs to have fun, compare and contrast. Also it would be brilliant to do some blind test on cables.

If you are bringing your own stuffs in, could you let me know what they are so that I can organise the time systematically. What I don't want to see is letting some people down if there're hundred pieces of cables and equipments turn up and not able to test them all.

Feel free to give me comments and ideas about the test structure.

Moreover, I want to know

1. How many of you will join us in the afternoon.

2. About the veggies dishes, is sea veggies any good for you? Of course we will have normal veggies.

3. How many of you don't eat Sashimi?

4. How many of you don't eat Pork?

5. How many of you don't eat Cable spagetti!:lolsign:

6. How many of you just want to come along in the afternoon but not staying for dinner?

:lol:

Barry
20-10-2009, 10:12
Hi JJ,

I fully intend to be there at 14:00. With luck, I might be able to bring along some cables of my own.

I eat just about anything and will most definitely stay for dinner.

Thanks for the invitation,

Regards

John
20-10-2009, 14:50
Hopefuly Marco might be able to bring some Mark Grant cables

MAD
21-10-2009, 21:15
Hi Guys,

Santosh will bring his Perreaux amplifier with him on the day. He told me it is one of the best amplifier he have ever heard! It is an expensive amp £6k.:eyebrows:

http://www.perreaux.com/products/eloquence/250i_-_250w_stereo_integrated_amplifier/

MAD
21-10-2009, 21:24
Hi everyone,

You need to let me know sooner if you want to come for the on the 31st October 2009. We only have 10 places left now.

31/10/2009

David Price
Marco
JJ
John
Barry.d.hunt
Jason b
Jothebus
Santose
Denis
NickyB

Esther
Wu Price
Del
Mrs. Jothebus
Alison
Janine Elliot ??? TBC

Okay guys! On the 31st October 2009, I will be at the Sole Luna from 1400 and set up a system there.

Which comprise of:

Benchmark DAC1
Perreaux 250 integrated
MAD cables
MAD Power Kord

It is a very ultra neutral and accurate sounding system, please feel free to bring your stuffs to have fun, compare and contrast. Also it would be brilliant to do some blind test on cables.

If you are bringing your own stuffs in, could you let me know what they are so that I can organise the time systematically. What I don't want to see is letting some people down if there're hundred pieces of cables and equipments turn up and not able to test them all.

Moreover, I want to know

2. About the veggies dishes, is sea veggies any good for you? Of course we will have normal veggies.

5. How many of you don't eat Cable spagetti!:lolsign:

6. How many of you just want to come along in the afternoon but not staying for dinner?

:lol:

:gig:

Dave Cawley
21-10-2009, 21:38
Any cheap accommodation?

Dave

MAD
22-10-2009, 10:06
Ideal with Cars

My friend Rahim's hotel at Carnary Wharf, a very pretty hotel with car parking facilities at £12.50 per night. The rate is cheap too http://www.radisson.com/reservation/rateSearch.do

Hi End Luxary

Another friend of mine works for a five star botique hotel in the City of London offered us an AOS rate at £175 + VAT per night, he will also throw in bkfst for 2 pax per rooms, worth £20 per pax and an upgrade to a better room. http://www.theetoncollection.com/content.aspx?pageID=430

If any of you are very fortunate, I can ask my friends at the Ritz and Mandarin Oriental for you. Ritz is the best English hotel (in my own opinion, I was a Manager there thousand years ago). Mandarin is very posch and you can walk back there (15 mins walk). I am not suprised you may bump up with President Obama or Jintao Hu there.

(Economical choices near the restaurant if you are going to get really piss!!!:doh: Don't kill yourself!!!:lol:)

If you are not driving, the Radisson Vanderbilt is ideal, it is very close to the Sole Luna restaurant, on 10 mins walk! If you are not driving this is ideal for you http://www.radissonedwardian.com/home/reservation/rateSearch.do

The Holiday inn Kensington / Crowne Plaza Kensington are good choices as well.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/925/en/availsearch?bcFrom=null&gdFlag=null&start=11

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Thanks!

Hi :lol:

MAD
22-10-2009, 10:20
http://www.london30.com/eg_offer_list.php?checkin=2009-10-30&checkout=2009-11-01&guests=1#

This is a link for B&B in London

NickB
22-10-2009, 14:23
Hi JJ

Ali and I will attempt to get there for 14.00 or as soon as possible after, we will stay for the meal and I am the fussy eater who is not keen on shellfish and leafy veggies.

But I could do with losing some weight so I am sure it will not be a problem.

Looking forward to the day - see you all there.

Nick and Ali

MAD
22-10-2009, 16:57
Hi JJ

Ali and I will attempt to get there for 14.00 or as soon as possible after, we will stay for the meal and I am the fussy eater who is not keen on shellfish and leafy veggies.

But I could do with losing some weight so I am sure it will not be a problem.

Looking forward to the day - see you all there.

Nick and Ali

I make sure the chef will cook something special veggie you never eat b4. I am afraid you will still gain some weight on the night. Perhaps you too can fast b4 sunset :lol: (Sometimes the chef cook with my Diamond Signature cable with sun dried tomato in sweet and sour SOURCE with input selectors.

Marco
22-10-2009, 19:03
Does he do marinated valves Szechuan style with crispy deep-fried op amps? That's Del's favourite! :eyebrows:

Marco.

MAD
22-10-2009, 19:11
Does he do marinated valves Szechuan style with crispy deep-fried op amps? That's Del's favourite! :eyebrows:

Marco.

No, they do

Entrée

Polyurethane ring in salt'n chillly pepper,
Icy -150c MAD Silver Plated plugs with Fresh Sliver Solder at 800c
Shreded MAD Royal Salute Loudspeakers
Strawberry Field Forever
Lucy in the Sky with Diamond

Le Plat

MAD Balanced Power Isolation PLATform 2Kva with 230 flutuated English dirty main
Beefy cable stir fries

Desert

MAD My Sweety
MAD MAD MAD bloody MAD

On monday night, a man in whitecoat appeared, ambalance siren and all MAD cables given away to guests for free

MAD
22-10-2009, 19:13
Could someone bring a damn good turntable?

Marco
22-10-2009, 19:21
No, they do polyurethane ring in salt'n chillly pepper, and icy -150c wbt plugs with hollandise sauce + sheded Royal Salute Loudspeakers. MAD!!!!:mental:

She said "Yum yum - can't wait!" :)

Could someone bring a damn good turntable?

I'd bring mine if I was coming with the car, but as I'm not, I can't :eyebrows:

Ask David to bring his Techy!

Marco.

John
22-10-2009, 20:43
I hope to bring a good TT but unable to promise at this moment in time

NickB
23-10-2009, 14:33
Hi Guys

I have just been over to the ParcelFarce depot and picked up one of these http://www.miniwatt.com.hk/index.html

It is the cutest little thing in the world and very easy to carry in its box. Would anyone like me to bring it along to listen to?

Cheers

Nick

Alex_UK
23-10-2009, 15:36
£165 delivered, at today's exchange rate - I want, I want! (But which colour? What did you go for Nick?)

Let us know how it sounds - unfortunately I can't make JJ's do, though I would have loved to.

NickB
23-10-2009, 15:47
Hi Alex

The delivery by MiniTube was fantastic - I watched on line as it was dispatched on Saturday and sent by air the same day, it arrived in the UK on Sunday - less than 24hours after ordering. Unfortunately it then sat in Customs for 4 days while they decided how much to rip me off.

The end result is a VAT bill off £24 and a very reasonable :lolsign: "handling" charge off £13.50 from the aforementioned ParcelFarce. Still I suppose it is still about £200.

I went for the silver one and it looks so cute and small - I could not believe how little the box was !!!!

Will attempt to try it out later and will take to the MAD feast if anyone is interested in it.

I am going to Spain for a 2 month trial break this year and this looks like the perfect baby amp to take with us. I have a spare 7520 dac and my Macbook Pro so just need some didi speakers to go with it now.

Suggestions anyone ????

Nick

John
23-10-2009, 19:16
I would love to see and hear it but not sure if JJ has any high sensitive speakers

Spectral Morn
23-10-2009, 20:54
Hi Alex

The delivery by MiniTube was fantastic - I watched on line as it was dispatched on Saturday and sent by air the same day, it arrived in the UK on Sunday - less than 24hours after ordering. Unfortunately it then sat in Customs for 4 days while they decided how much to rip me off.

The end result is a VAT bill off £24 and a very reasonable :lolsign: "handling" charge off £13.50 from the aforementioned ParcelFarce. Still I suppose it is still about £200.

I went for the silver one and it looks so cute and small - I could not believe how little the box was !!!!

Will attempt to try it out later and will take to the MAD feast if anyone is interested in it.

I am going to Spain for a 2 month trial break this year and this looks like the perfect baby amp to take with us. I have a spare 7520 dac and my Macbook Pro so just need some didi speakers to go with it now.

Suggestions anyone ????

Nick

Hi Nick

I would like you to write a review of it for Strokes of Genius please..with nice photos.

Regards D S D L

Themis
23-10-2009, 21:20

Suggestions anyone ????

Nick
Hi Nick,

do you need smaller than the Tangent Evo4 speakers ?

Marco
23-10-2009, 22:47
Hi Guys

I have just been over to the ParcelFarce depot and picked up one of these http://www.miniwatt.com.hk/index.html

It is the cutest little thing in the world and very easy to carry in its box. Would anyone like me to bring it along to listen to?

Hi Nick,

Yes please! :)

Marco.

NickB
23-10-2009, 22:51
Hi Dimitri

Thanks for that, they are on special at my local Richer Sounds at £99 at the moment so may be a trip to Bristol tomorrow.

Nick

MAD
23-10-2009, 23:19
Hi sensi speaker! The Royal Salute and the Elgar are both quite high around 92db. The only problem is they are so bloody big, how to transport them is a problem!!! Any volunteers are willing to help transport them from my dem room to the restaurant? It is interesting to hear how they work with the minivalve. Years ago, I bought a Cayin AT88i for £700 in HK and used them to drive my ATC-50SL, they were superb for two months and finally went to a new home cheap!!! :doh:

MAD
23-10-2009, 23:22
Any cheap accommodation?

Dave

Are you coming Dave? If so can you bring the magic thing called ANT I heard from fairy tale?

MAD
23-10-2009, 23:27
Hey guys!

Anyone have LFD or Audio Note, I been told by a dealer the Diamond Signature sounded a lot warmer and more balanced when compare with these super big boys in Silver. It would be interesting to compare them.

Marco
24-10-2009, 03:30
Hi JJ,

I'll be bringing the Mark Grants down with me (his latest sexy looking ones), so you'll be able to hear what all the fuss is about ;)

Marco.

John
24-10-2009, 06:50
Cool we get a chance to compare I am looking forward to this

MAD
24-10-2009, 09:02
Hi everyone,

We have three more places left for the dinner, if you want to come please kindly decide this weekend. I will be away from monday to wednesday, I still can be reach on 07782137868. :ner:

24/10/2009

David Price
Marco
JJ
John
Barry.d.hunt
Jason b
Jothebus
Santose
Denis
NickyB
BJ
William

Esther
Wu Price
Del
Mrs. Jothebus
Alison
Janine Elliot ??? TBC

:gig:

Updated guest list 24/10/2009

Dave Cawley
24-10-2009, 18:26
Marco

Are you delivering your/our turntable to David next weekend?? If so I think I'll join you?

Regards

Dave

Marco
24-10-2009, 18:41
Nope, soz Dave, we're going down by train - see my reply to your email :)

Marco.

Dave Cawley
24-10-2009, 19:26
Marco

Come one, bring your baby and shock us all?

Dave

Marco
24-10-2009, 19:37
Trust me, I'd love to, but it won't fit in my rucksack ;)

Marco.

Dave Cawley
24-10-2009, 21:52
Marco, mate, get a bigger rucksack or a flight case?

Dave

Dave Cawley
25-10-2009, 07:43
Unfortunately the Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt seems fully booked, a pity as Marco is staying there. Is the Hilton Olympia far away? If I decided by lunchtime today, are there still spaces?

Jill who is recovering from an operation and using crutches, said go!

Regards

Dave

Marco
25-10-2009, 08:12
Go for it, Dave - it would be good to see you there mate.

If you're coming by car, bring your Techy; if not just strap it to your head in a flight case - you'll manage just fine :lolsign:

:eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

MAD
26-10-2009, 01:03
Hilton is few stops by tube, about 10 mins drive. If you are coming with your wife I will make sure there are two places for you. By the way, the Holiday Inn South Kensington (Forum Hotel) and the Millenium Kensington are very close to Marco's hotel. They may have rooms as they are bloody massive 1300 rooms, but make sure your eyes are behaving in front of your wife, there are too many sexy beautiful airline crews there in mini skirt.:lol:

MAD
26-10-2009, 01:34
26/10/2009

David Price
Marco
JJ
John
Barry.d.hunt
Jason b
Jothebus
Santose
Denis
NickyB
Mark
BJ
David
Alex Nikitin
DaveC?

Wu Price
Del
Elenor Nikitin
Dill?
Helen?
Esther
Mrs. Jothebus
Alison
Janine Elliot ??? TBC :cool:

We are reached the maximum number now and cannot take more people for the dinner, unless some of the new comers willing to sit downstair at the restaurant instead of the AOS private dinning hall. :gig: I really look forward to seeing you all on Sat. I am thinkin some crazy ideas for blind test:steam:
If any of you need to contact me, please ring 02078398880, my company server is down! Cheers:cool:

Dave Cawley
26-10-2009, 09:35
OK guys, count me in!! I eat anything, and more to the point, everything. Nothing is too spicy or too hot, or too big............

Jill would love to go shopping in Harrods with Wu, but she is on crutches for the next 3 weeks, so can't come. Jill will come next time.

Regards

Dave

Marco
26-10-2009, 09:44
Noice one, muchacho :smoking:

Where are you staying?

Marco.

Dave Cawley
26-10-2009, 12:15
The Hilton Olympia, had vacancies and half the price of the others when booked today!

Regards

Dave

Marco
26-10-2009, 14:06
Excellent. How much did you pay? The Radisson cost us £110.

Marco.

Dave Cawley
26-10-2009, 17:08
The Radisson was full, so no deal! I would have stayed there just to drink with you oh master........

The Hilton was £84 and I have stayed there many times.

Regards

Dave

Marco
26-10-2009, 18:56
Jammy bugger! ;)

What time are you due to arrive in London? PM me your mobby number and we'll meet up for a few beers before we're due at the restaurant in the evening :cool:

Marco.

NickB
26-10-2009, 22:43
Marco

Are you not going to the afternoon session then?

Nick

Marco
26-10-2009, 22:52
Hi Nick,

I wasn't aware that there was one... When does it start and finish? Come to think of it, what time does the night 'do' start? :)

Marco.

Barry
27-10-2009, 00:10
Hi Nick,

I wasn't aware that there was one... When does it start and finish? Come to think of it, what time does the night 'do' start? :)

Marco.

JJ (MAD) suggests starting at 2 o'clock. I assume that the 'audiofest' will be at the restaurant, but this is not absolutely clear. Perhaps JJ can clarify this and state what time the dinner will start.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to meet at 2:00, help JJ set things up, then nip out for a couple of beers and start the listening in earnest at say 3:30.

It seems that JJ hosted a sucessful session on the 17th, so we'll let him suggest the timetable.

I'm looking forward to it enormously.

Regards

John
27-10-2009, 06:46
I am pretty sure meet at 2pm at MAD I think JJ is away for a few days maybe best to give him a call on his mobile

NickB
27-10-2009, 07:04
Hi John

No I think JJ will be at the restaurant from 14.00 and have the system set up, as per post 40 :-

Which comprise of:

Benchmark DAC1
MAD cables
MAD Power Kord

Moreover, I want to know

5. How many of you don't eat Cable spagetti!

Dave Cawley
27-10-2009, 07:21
Marco

You said you would bring some cables?? Hence the early start............

Dave

John
27-10-2009, 14:50
Cheers Nick

MAD
29-10-2009, 19:33
Hi Guys,

The address of the venue is Sole Luna, South Kensington 32-34 SW7 2LT
(It is just outside of the South Kensington Station).

On the 31st October 2009, I will be at the Sole Luna from 1400 setting up the system. Fingers cross toys will be available for you to play at 1530. I would be very pleased if you could let me know via phone 07782137868 or e-mail admin@madengland.com to confirm the following

(1) Are you coming at 1530 ?

(2) Are you staying for Dinner? Dinner will begin from 1930, I need to confirm with the restaurant how many portions to prepare.

(3) Are you bring any eqiupments or accessories with you? If so, what are you going to bring?

Programme:

15:30 - 19:00

A basic reference system will be ready for audition base on the followings:

Perraeux Integrated Amplifier
YBA CD Player
MAD cables
:gig:MAD Balanced Power Isolation Platform
MAD Power Kords

We are going to play

1. Audiophile ear and brain excercise

2. Be your own hi fi reviewer and believe your self - second excercise

3. Sexual act - Interconnect and machines only (no hetero or homo except bi, but in bi-wiring!!) ---- Interconnect blind test!

4. Free exchange, test different equippments. Depend on what are you bringing.

If you are bringing your own stuffs in, could you let me know what they are so that I can organise the time systematically. What I don't want to see is letting some people down if there're hundred pieces of cables and equipments turn up and not able to have fun and play them all. :gig::gig:

Dave Cawley
29-10-2009, 19:56
Yes I will be there from quite early

I will bring a DAT system, headphone amplifier and some quite expensive headphones. Oh and some lovely 80's music taken from my SP-10, SME V and Shelter 501.

Hopefully the YBA CD Player will be as good as the SA-7 with external studio clock, otherwise I might suffer a slight pain...........

Yes I am eating, rather a lot in fact (hopefully) so put me down for two portions of everything

Yes I'll pay whatever the cost.

Jill will not be with me, but she will come next time and help Wu spend David's money in Harrods

Regards

Dave

Marco
29-10-2009, 20:22
Hi JJ,

Del and I are due in London at 11.30am on Saturday. However, our intention is to dump our bags either at the hotel (or perhaps at your office - is it near the Radisson?) and see a bit of London. Del wants to visit a few galleries and go into Chinatown for a snack for lunch before dinner in the evening.

Therefore, we won't be there during the first part of the afternoon session, but if you're going to be at the restaurant from 15.30 until 19.00, we'll probably get there for around 17.00, so that will allow us a couple of hours to take part in some shenanigans before dinner starts :)

I'll have the latest iteration of Mark Grant's cables with me (not to mention yours which I have to return) and some good music :smoking:

Will there be a turntable there? If so, I can bring a few records.

Dave,

When we arrive in London and have sorted ourselves out, I'll give you a bell on your mobby and perhaps we can meet up for a few beers sometime in the afternoon? :cool:

Marco.

NickB
29-10-2009, 20:25
Hi JJ

Alison and I will be there for 15.30 - 16.00 and are defo staying for the meal in the evening.

I will bring the super miniature Miniwatt amp with me as some have expressed an interest in it.

Dave what headphones are you bringing?

Nick

John
29-10-2009, 20:50
I be there sometime after 330pm and will attend Dinner I am not bringing anything unless you want me to bring the DAC/Pre or Duets (Open Baffle Loudspeakers) I bring some music too

Barry
29-10-2009, 20:50
Hi JJ,

I have sent you an e-mail, but if that fails I'll confirm that I shall be at the Sole Luna around 15:30. I'll be bringing along a couple of interconnects and a few CDs.

I shall be staying for the dinner at 19:00.

Again thank you for the invitation and I look forward to seeing you there,

Regards

Marco
30-10-2009, 13:33
Some more details of the restaurant, for anyone interested:

http://www.soleluna.co.uk/

Looks nice! :)

Marco.

Themis
30-10-2009, 14:23
Don't forget to take some photos ! I can't be there, but photos will help me feel less frustrated about it. ;)

MAD
30-10-2009, 15:03
I be there sometime after 330pm and will attend Dinner I am not bringing anything unless you want me to bring the DAC/Pre or Duets (Open Baffle Loudspeakers) I bring some music too

It would be great if you can bring your open baffle, love to hear your DAC pre as well.

MAD
30-10-2009, 15:06
Any one have a benchmark Dac1? it would be interesting to compare that with John's super dac.

Alex_UK
30-10-2009, 18:45
Don't forget to take some photos ! I can't be there, but photos will help me feel less frustrated about it. ;)

I agree - we need to see piccies please!

Macca
30-10-2009, 21:51
I agree - we need to see piccies please!

Yes! I second that (or third it..? - never sure how that worked...)

Spectral Morn
31-10-2009, 18:06
So there will be no one on the forum tonight ? Everyones away to this dinner ;)

Regards D S D L

Joe
31-10-2009, 19:19
I'm here!

DSJR
31-10-2009, 20:23
I'd rather have a curry and a few beers at home wiv me family, so there..... :ner:

Joe
31-10-2009, 20:36
And imagine if you thought the MAD cables were no good, or over-priced. The food would stick in your throat.

Steve Toy
31-10-2009, 20:42
The comparison with Mark Grant interconnects could be interesting...

Joe
31-10-2009, 20:47
I'm tempted to try those, actually. I don't need cables, but if they're as good as people here say they could enable me to 'downsize' from my current ones and make a few bob.

Themis
31-10-2009, 22:37
I'm tempted to try those, actually. I don't need cables, but if they're as good as people here say they could enable me to 'downsize' from my current ones and make a few bob.
I'm currently testing Mike's ICs. I plan to post a review together with the Croft 25 Pre.

Joe
31-10-2009, 22:40
Great stuff! I look forward to reading it.

DSJR
31-10-2009, 22:50
You're all MAD I tell you...

John
01-11-2009, 07:50
Well a big Thank you for JJ for organising this
We did two shootouts first using two MAD cables a chord cable Barry DIY cables and the Mark Grant cables (sorry do not know names of cables)
The feedback from the cable shoot out is a bit of a suprise
1 Barrys cable 2 Mark Grant cables to be honest not a lot of difference but I just give the edge to Barrys cable the next were the two MAD cables followed by the the Chord cable
We then tested the Mad silver cables against some Audioquest cables and the Mark Grant cable
MAD silver cables was eaisly the best performer everthing was more defined it gave you a deeper insight into the musicThen to be honest I think not a lot of difference between the Mark Grant and Audioquest cables but hard to tell as the Audioquest was heard first and the Mark Grant after the MAD silver cable Others might have different opinions to this
The meal was great I really enjoyed talking to Mark B Barry and Dave C Dave has a really sharp wit and Mark a great sense of playful wind up humour and Barry is a Gentleman

NickB
01-11-2009, 09:40
John

Your worse with names than I am !!!!! or was it those large beers instead of the small ones :eyebrows:

Dont forget next time we need to have those little open baffles of yours here.

I think it was a surprise to most how the cable test went, the silver cables were very good at the end but I am not sure which they were - names or prices.

It was great to meet everyone and to find that Marco really is a very scary person in real life as well.

Thanks for a great night JJ, and hope we can do one again sometime.

Nick and Ali

MAD
01-11-2009, 10:43
John

Your worse with names than I am !!!!! or was it those large beers instead of the small ones :eyebrows:

Dont forget next time we need to have those little open baffles of yours here.

I think it was a surprise to most how the cable test went, the silver cables were very good at the end but I am not sure which they were - names or prices.

It was great to meet everyone and to find that Marco really is a very scary person in real life as well.

Thanks for a great night JJ, and hope we can do one again sometime.

Nick and Ali

I must apologise that I bored everyone during the cable test and things could have been much better! I must admit that I am very inexperience on running group test. Next time we should have John's open baffle and scret weapons there. Let's do it again b4 christmas.

You are a lucky man, you have a noble wife who posses great wisdom. I noticed Ali took the test so seriously, even when everyone were distracted with different things, her ears were still listened to the music, this kind of attitude is very admirable. I would be great if you and Ali can post your test findings on the forum, I just posted a new thread specifically about cables test http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4358forum.

The Silver cable were the Diamond Signature reviewed by DP. It is 449 + VAT for 0.5m pair, which is 60% cheaper than the Audio Quest Niragra.

DSJR
01-11-2009, 12:25
You mean someone took their WIFE to this event. What a remarkable woman!!!!!!!

Seriously, most of us would feel better without our other halves there, complaining of being bored out of their minds - and no macho posing either Marco - we don't all live in a perfect world ;)

Themis
01-11-2009, 12:36
... mine would never come to such an event, even with free wine and food...

John
01-11-2009, 12:37
They were a few partners at the event
Nick opps what can I say...... sorry!

Dave Cawley
02-11-2009, 10:04
http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7050.jpg

Lounging around waiting for the start

http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7052.jpg

Love is a pair of headphones

http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7053.jpg

Mmmmmmm is that cable better or not?

http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7056.jpg

OK, make that a beer and a tonic water please

http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7061.jpg

Now this is the better cable!

http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7069.jpg

Sony DAT recorder, A.N.T. Amber headphone amplifier
and Denon D-7000 headphones

http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7070.jpg

Just about to tuck in, only another 18 courses to go.......

http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7071.jpg

Slow starters

http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7072.jpg

Done and dusted, none could eat another thing

As the photo's show we had a really great time! The afternoon started when the Italian Restaurant didn't know we were booked into the room upstairs but hopefully we all found it!. We had a show-and-tell table (forgot to photograph it) with a copper DAC and the gorgeous Miniwatt amplifier (more on that in another thread) and a couple of headphone amps working from a Nakamichie cassette deck and a Sony DAT Walkman.

There was plenty of time to mingle and get to know each other. Tim gave us a blind listening test on several cables on several pieces of music, I'll let others spill the beans on the results. Some of us thought there were other influences, such as the actual music and the amplifier/speaker compatibility. But that was all part of the fun.

The best bit was the meal, dish after dish was served at a breathtaking rate, we ate, ate and ate even more. The standard was simply wonderful and included such delicacy as soft shell crab that we eat whole and a rather tasty chicken and chilli dish. But it was the sheer number and size of the dishes that captivated us. I did in fact eat twice as much as some people and one and a half times that of most people. We were spread over two tables.

This meeting is probably a turning point for A.O.S. and something similar should take place soon. Lessons learnt were:

Location needs to be easy to get to
Low cost hotels need to be available (the low cost one was fully booked when I tried)
Transport to/from the event needs to be easy
An event in a low cost hotel with free parking would be better
The timetable needs to be published before hand and adhered to
Someone needs to be in charge
Cable tests need to be way shorter
Maybe allow time for members to present their views or equipment
A question and answer session with a panel of experts; expertly moderated
And maybe an event could be held in say Swindon for the weekend with two nights accommodation and food for about £100?? This could accommodate a small exhibition area with the smaller one/two man band Hi Fi manufactures.

So to Tim, a big thank you for a great day! So over to you Marco for your take on Saturday!

Regards

Dave

DSJR
02-11-2009, 10:13
Put it this way, a friendly get together over audio is the ONLY way you'd ever get me within many miles of Swindon - ugh, what a dump - ruined, just like many of the bigger towns down the M4 corridor...;)

StanleyB
02-11-2009, 10:23
This meeting is probably a turning point for A.O.S. and something similar should take place soon.
I am glad that you guys had a great time, as I had already indicated that you would. There are no doubt many others who would have liked to have been there on any of the two previous occasions, but who couldn't. So JJ and me are looking at holding a third AoS get together there before the end of the year so that others can find out how great a chef Mr. Lee is:).

Marco
02-11-2009, 10:24
So over to you Marco for your take on Saturday!

Once I catch up on some work, I'll get right to it, amigo! :)

Should I post it here or on the other thread?

Marco.

Dave Cawley
02-11-2009, 10:45
Put it here!

Dave

Dave Cawley
02-11-2009, 10:53
So JJ and me are looking at holding a third AoS get together there

OK Stan, didn't know that! With the problems I experienced, I'll start a new thread on a Swindon based show.

Regards

Dave

StanleyB
02-11-2009, 11:16

OK Stan, didn't know that! With the problems I experienced, I'll start a new thread on a Swindon based show.
The onus will be on the eating side;).

MAD
02-11-2009, 11:21

Regards

Dave

I think it would be great more events can be initiate by different members at various location. I will be your first supporter for your swindon gathering or Hi-Fi Show. I didn't think the gathering was my show, I thought that a more impartial and democratic way to do thing may have a better result, but it is proven wrong in certain extend:confused:.

StanleyB
02-11-2009, 11:32
I didn't think the gathering was my show, I thought that a more impartial and democratic way to do thing may have a better result, but it is proven wrong in certain extend:confused:.
You are taking it too personal:). Of course it was a MAD AoS get together. The first one you and me did was in China Town, remember;)? My only regret is that Thresher no longer sells that Prosecco wine I so enjoyed.

What the whole thing shows is that it is possible to organize a different kind of get together, compared to what so many other forums have been running over the years. But we do need forum members with contacts in the hotel and/or restaurant trade to give a helping hand. I used to frequent a car forum, and one of the members there had a hotel. He used to offer us special weekend discounts etc. Made the meetings financially viable for those who would otherwise have found it too expensive.

MAD
02-11-2009, 18:04
You are taking it too personal:). Of course it was a MAD AoS get together. The first one you and me did was in China Town, remember;)? My only regret is that Thresher no longer sells that Prosecco wine I so enjoyed.

What the whole thing shows is that it is possible to organize a different kind of get together, compared to what so many other forums have been running over the years. But we do need forum members with contacts in the hotel and/or restaurant trade to give a helping hand. I used to frequent a car forum, and one of the members there had a hotel. He used to offer us special weekend discounts etc. Made the meetings financially viable for those who would otherwise have found it too expensive.

Next time would be less hassle, because I am doing a custom installation for Mr. Lee's new private dinning club at Piccadilly Circus. Shall we ask him to name it AOS?:ner: