PDA

View Full Version : mix'n'match pre & power

Ashmore
02-10-2009, 23:04
Hi

Can I mix and match power and pre amps safely?

I'm thinking of connecting an Arcam power amp to my Rotel integrated.

I realise it's probably not ideal from a matching perspective, but I need to stage my system update for budget reasons. The Rotel/Arcam combo would be a stage before I can afford the Arcam pre.

This will work won't it?

Simon

Rare Bird
02-10-2009, 23:09
I recon the only time you'll hit trouble is matching solid state with Tubes...

Steve Toy
03-10-2009, 00:31
That really is not a problem and is the route taken by both myself and Marco.

The Rotel amp can be used as a pre no problem (I also did this a few years back) but don't bi-amp with a power amp from another manufacturer for you will have a gain mismatch between the amps.

The Grand Wazoo
03-10-2009, 05:45
Mix & match to your heart's content.
I use a valve pre with SS power amps with no problems at all.

Themis
03-10-2009, 07:00
I rarely paired solid state pre/power and never noticed any problems.
It is the main advantage of "separates", when you think of it. ;)

Peter Galbavy
03-10-2009, 12:10
Just plugged my brand spanking new Rotel 1572 into an Audiolab 8000C and I'm a happy camper. I have almost always has different brands of pre/pro (when I have had separates) after a Trio pair back in the late 80s.

Joe
03-10-2009, 12:13
I've got a SS pre and valve power, and it works fine. Before that I had a mix of SS brands of pre and power amps, and that worked fine too.

Ashmore
03-10-2009, 13:39
Thanks guys, that's very encouraging.

I shall forge ahead and look forward to finding out how it sounds.

Simon

Steve Toy
03-10-2009, 14:59
When I first got my AOS valve power amp it was driven by a Spectral DMC-15 pre (ss) and worked well. I tried a Glasshouse TVC and a couple of different valve amps. I settled on a grounded grid valve pre.

All combinations worked though.

Marco conversely used his Croft valve pre for quite a while with ECS solid state behemoths before going down the valve power route.

Rare Bird
03-10-2009, 15:39
When I first got my AOS valve power amp it was driven by a Spectral DMC-15 pre (ss) and worked well. I tried a Glasshouse TVC and a couple of different valve amps. I settled on a grounded grid valve pre.

All combinations worked though.

Marco conversely used his Croft valve pre for quite a while with ECS solid state behemoths before going down the valve power route.

Steve

I've had a couple problems mix & matching. I partnered a Rose Industries RV23 with a Quad power amp & had problems...Also Mixed a Quad 44 with Hafler DH220 power amp again not a great idea...Dunno if it was a Quad thing or not..

MartinT
05-10-2009, 11:06
I have a Pass Labs X1 pre connected to a Chord SPM-1200E power amp in balanced mode and they compliment each other beautifully. If your equipment supports it, it's worth experimenting with balanced versus single-ended as balanced often sounds tighter, more dynamic and with a lower noise floor.