PDA

View Full Version : Reg choice for Sabre 9018

screamer
02-10-2009, 16:46
Hi All,

I'm a new member here. I'm in the process of burning in a Sabre 32 9018 from TPA.

Cold. straight out of the box it sounded real nice. Different from my standard reference TDA1541A,(old Joe Curcio design w/ 12AT7 output stage), but nice nonetheless. I've been looking to get the most out of this and contacted Paul Hynes about his regulators. Paul suggested that I join this forum and ask Leo about the regs he's using. Since I don't have a ton of cash to drop into this unit at the moment, I'd like to start w/ the regs that'll give me the biggest bang for the buck. Leo what are your thought's on this?

I'm working on a tube output stage using a 6SN7, but it'll be a redundant output stage since the IVY is now incorporated into the DAC board. I haven't figured this out just yet. It'll give me something to occupy my mind.

I bought a case on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190337152183&ssPageName=STRK:MEAFB:IT

This case is a wee bit small especially for the tube stage, but perhaps it can go in a seperate chassis. I want to include an isolation x-fmr, but the case is even too small for that unless I can find one that's very tiny. Anyone have a thought / source? I'm desperate to get the boards out of my dog hair filled environment. It's like the wild west w/ sage brush rolling around here, no matter how much we vacuum. Two GSD are responsible for all the hair.

In any case, if there's anyone who's done any worthwhile improvments to this unit I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks Guys,

...screamer

Tony Moore
02-10-2009, 17:06
Hi Screamer,

The Curcio DAC is very nice, I've heard one and it was really good indeed. How do you feel the Sabre compares?

Cheers,
Tony
ps. I was once intending to build a Curcio DAC but when I tried to contact Joe I failed to get a response even after many attempts. :-(

leo
02-10-2009, 18:09
First thing, Hi, welcome to AOS:)

Second thing, why isn't there any cases like those available over here:doh:

Regarding the PH regs, I'm currently comparing a few different types, also at some stage I'm hoping to try some of his series regs for the VA +/-v to see how they compare to the shunts

Heres what I've tried so far on the Buffalo32s http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1152&page=12 the plan is to try a few different implementations and keep posting comments/updates for each as soon as I can

Using a Z1A-5 for main VD supply and a pair of Z1A-15/Z1N-15 for the VA supplies would be a nice start and a very worthwhile upgrade imo

Some claim you shouldn't get much difference with upgrading the VD regulation, after trying it myself I'd say its certainly worth doing, especially after living with it for a while and then trying going back to the originals.

Let us know if theres anything I can help with;)

screamer
02-10-2009, 18:33
Hi Tony,

I haven't A/B'd the two DACs. After I finished the Sabre, it's been plugged in ever since. ~a week now, continuously running on repeat. To be honest, I've only got about three hours listening time in on the Sabre.

The Curico is a real sweet piece. There were a few glitches building it though. It seems Joe left out a few key ingredients in the build manual. Little Known Fact: the Curico DAC was destined to be the Sonic Frontiers SFD1. I was building mine at the same time as John Sloan (Design Engineer at Sonic Frontiers). We would compare notes and share ideas. I believe they ultimately went w/ an Ultra Analogue chip since the Curico design was such a bear.

As far as it's sound goes: it's sweet, natural, highly detailed w/o digital grunge and has a huge, deep soundstage. It's listenable forever with no fatigue at all. Example is that you can hear the wooden body of a guitar and not just the fingers on the strings. A vocalists breath is evident. I even hear Ben Webster's chair creek when he leans back on it. It's so detailed, you can hear the footsteps when a performer walks across the stage - Trio Jeepy. I recall hearing something on a Pink Floyd album, don't know which off the top of my head that DG or RW starts a track off w/ He's F*ckin' Mad. I never heard this little detail before. Perhaps it's evident, and I just wasn't paying attention, but when I first heard it, I was Amazed

It's been my reference / go to DAC since 1994. Geez that's a long time.
I've had lots of DACs & players in my system since, none have given me more pleasure than this TDA1541A based beauty. It's just so listenable.

I purchased an Apogee DA1000E in 1996 since it was touted as a professional reference standard for uncolored reference monitoring by NAB. Thing is, it just couldn't hold a candle to the Curico unit. It sounds so damn digital, highly detailed but digital.

I think that the Sabre is a real contender for the Curico. I need to do more listening before I can commit to anything though.

If you get a chance, try to give one a good listen, I'm sure you'll be impressed.

...screamer

screamer
02-10-2009, 18:55
Leo,

I would think the guy on ebay ships to the UK too, drop him a line. It looks like a nice case for the money. The other chassis I've been looking at are all well around $200.00USD.

Thanks, the Z1A-05, Z1A-15 & Z1N-15 is what Paul suggested also. I think that's where I'll start.