PDA

View Full Version : DVD through Caiman?

Fi-Wi
27-09-2009, 16:47
I am a first batch Caiman owner and enthousiast. My Caiman is connected (via coax) with a Squeezebox which is the source of 90% of the music I listen to.

I now want to connect my Pioneer DV-656 (DVD) player to the Caiman, which plays SACD, DVD-A, CD and DVD, and I am thinking about how to best connect it to my dac.

Obviously when I play SACD I have to use the current 5 IC's it uses now, since the DVDP uses only the analogue output.

When I watch DVD's my player now uses a coax out to my Yamaha (RX-V1300) receiver, which gives me the 5.1 sound to my speakers. I guess I can't use the Caiman to do the digital to analogue conversion, because then my receiver would only receive a 2 channel sound instead of a 5.1 since the Caiman is only connected with the receiver by a set of IC's. Am I right?

I guess if I want to listen to CD's through the Caiman, I have to connect my DVDP with an optical cable to my Caiman (because the coax output is already taken by the DVD source).

Ergo, I guess I have to connect my DVDP with the following outputs:
- SACD: 5x IC to my receiver;
- DVD: coax to my receiver;
- CD optical to my Caiman.

Am I correct? :scratch:

Alex_UK
27-09-2009, 19:03
That would be right as far as I can see Fi-Wi - Caiman is only 2 channel, so the DVD player will only be able to output stereo to it.

Fi-Wi
27-09-2009, 19:34
Ok, thank you for your input.

I now know my thoughts were correct so now have to look for a quality optical cable.

Steven

Update:

I am confused now. This http://www.beresford-dac.com/best-connection site tells:

The three analog outputs allows you to:

1.Connect to a 2-channel or multi-channel receiver or preamp via the Line (Fixed) output - volume controlled by receiver or preamp
Obviously you can connect the DAC to a multi-channel receiver but I guess the input to it will only be 2-channel right? In other words your multi-channel receiver will be degraded to a 2-channel one.

Stratmangler
27-09-2009, 20:23
Ok, thank you for your input.

I now know my thoughts were correct so now have to look for a quality optical cable.

Steven

Update:

I am confused now. This http://www.beresford-dac.com/best-connection site tells:

Obviously you can connect the DAC to a multi-channel receiver but I guess the input to it will only be 2-channel right? In other words your multi-channel receiver will be degraded to a 2-channel one.

The Beresford is purely a stereo device. Therefore it can only drive two channels - left and right. All other channels on your receiver will be redundant.

Anything being decoded by the Beresford will only ever be output as stereo. End of story.

Chris:)

StanleyB
27-09-2009, 20:52
Are we on about the TC-7520 info on the US site, or the Caiman:scratch:?

trailer
28-09-2009, 04:52
If you don't set the DVD to output stereo and the DAC receives a 5.1 signal you'll get an earful of noise. Ouch. (As I found out the hard way!)

Fi-Wi
28-09-2009, 06:41
Ok, thanks all. Stereo device it is!