PDA

View Full Version : MXQ Android Quad core 4.4 TV box

Zoidburg
20-08-2015, 13:02
Iv just bought one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tablets-Computers-android-Graphic-Black/dp/B00MBY9RXO

basically as something to use in the bedroom as a media player / tv box. Does anyone else use one? Any hints / tips on using it? its supposed to be pretty much plug in and play 9will be using it with a wireless dongle until such time as I can possibly get a wired connection to it.

Iv been told its even possible to watch premiership football on it which will be a bonus.

Interested to hear any thoughts on it.

cheers

Ben

struth
20-08-2015, 13:18
No not tried that kne. looks good. ive got the amazon one...well 2 of them actually and they are super.. i had a similar type a few years ago and it was ok but not in the same league as the amazon one...let me know how you get on...a nice little write up for the forum is in order

Zoidburg
20-08-2015, 13:27
No not tried that kne. looks good. ive got the amazon one...well 2 of them actually and they are super.. i had a similar type a few years ago and it was ok but not in the same league as the amazon one...let me know how you get on...a nice little write up for the forum is in order

I certainly will do Grant. Iv bought mine through ebay but its exactly the same unit. I currently have an old tower pc cluttering up the spare room which I use for occasional football and movie streaming so hopefully this will be smaller / quieter and easier to use. I may even get rid of my 2nd sky box in there too if this proves to be as good as I hope.

Zoidburg
25-08-2015, 12:49
I will post up a bit more of an in depth review as and when iv spent a bit more time using this little gizmo. However what I can say is that from opening the box up it took me about 20 mins of messing about / setting it up until I was watching a very decent stream of last nights arsenal vs Liverpool match. Predominantly that's what I wanted it for and so to that extent I suppose it was pretty decent. The instruction manual wasn't up to much but I soon got my head round using all the pre installed apps which helps a lot. There was occasional buffering during the game but I guess that's expect running it from a wifi dongle and I have a cat5 cable on order so im thinking that will resolve that issue.

It does have a digital spt/diff output on it as well so I guess I could use it for music but not sure how practical that would be as its a bit fiddly with its mini keyboard......

struth
25-08-2015, 13:55
iteresting Ben. Seems yove got what you wanted re footy. the ethernet cable should speed things up a bit. depends how fast your BB is. when i had asdl it was only about 3mb and is would do that occasionally too but was better late on when no one else in street was using it. ive got fibre now so no probs with wifi connected Amazo! tv box.

Zoidburg
25-08-2015, 14:10
Grant, I'm on virgin so its very quick (60 mb odd I think) so im hoping that a cable will sort the issue.

struth
25-08-2015, 23:25
Grant, I'm on virgin so its very quick (60 mb odd I think) so im hoping that a cable will sort the issue.

Sure it will in that case mate. You shouldnt have any buffering problems even with wifi tbh at that speed. What processor is in the box again?

Edit. I see its a quad core with 4.4 running.. no, it really should run fin on wifi. Be interesting to see if the ethernet fixes it.