PDA

View Full Version : Amp for Kef 102

speakers-1989
24-09-2009, 12:00
Hiya,

I bought a pair of Kef Reference Series Model 102 speakers for my father, as he wants to make a little system for his bedroom.

Next, I need to get an intergrated amp that will match well with the Kefs. I've been thinking about the Pioneer A400, don't know how it will suffice with the kefs though?? Also I might consider to get a sep/pre power combo maybe. Might get a Quad, as they have good decent sounding phono stages inside.

Any suggestions welcome.

DSJR
24-09-2009, 17:24
The A400 can sound foul on the one hand and rather good on the other, depending upon the things it's working with - I don't know why, but as with the Audiolab 8000A, you can have varying degrees of heaven and hell from this amp...

Those KEFs need a lean-toned amp of absolute cleanliness of reproduction - no fruity or muddy sounding amps will work IMO.

One choice for me would be the "lean-n-clean" AVI S2000 integrated amp and a Cambridge 640p (or latest NAD that Dave Cawley likes) phono stage. Mentioning Cambridge, one of their amps would be ideal I think.

I have to be very careful what I say here, as I don't wish to come over as patronising or pompous, but the R102 was no LS3/5A, despite measuring rather better. The BBC design is a bit of a measurement disaster and definitely not "accurate" in terms of colouration, but the balance for such a small box was very carefully done and fans are as vociferous in defence of them as Linnies are over 'Briks. I'd have looked for some AVI Neutrons (the products are very good indeed, whatever you think of Ashley), or even a more "extreme" step and got some of the cheaper active monitors out there for a few hundred quid. In-built amps, clear sounds from the better ones and usable from preamps etc, this would have saved some space........

hifi_dave
24-09-2009, 18:46
Depending on your budget but I would suggest the A&RA60, Creek 4040 or 4140, original Audiolab 8000A and a Quad pre/power as you suggest. The Pioneer isn't in the same league as any of these IMO being thin, hard and uncommunicative.

Alex Nikitin
24-09-2009, 18:57
Would you like to try an upgraded Cambridge Audio A3i ? I can make one for you and will give 3 months warranty - for £150. After an upgrade it is so good that I use one as my main amplifier for last year or so. And it has a very nice internal phono stage (essentially Creek OBH-8 circuit), much better than NAD or Cambridge external units, IMHO. Please PM me if interested.

Alex

speakers-1989
24-09-2009, 20:46
Just had a look around, it appears I have a spare Quad 405 poweramp. I'm going to give it to my Dad, but I'll need to get another Quad preamp.

Alex Nikitin, thanks for your offer, I shall bare it in mind. Cheers.