PDA

View Full Version : A couple of my pics.

DaveK
22-09-2009, 19:35
Hi Guys,
I enclose a couple of pics that may be of interest for totally different reasons, so different that two threads may have been better.
The first one is of a sunset, a favourite subject of mine, taken on the island of St. Martins in the Scillys in June 2004 or 5. I like it but I'm sure the likes of Hamish and Shaun will have comments to make - please do, I'm always eager to learn. If Hamish thinks it is a candidate for his improvement techniques I would be happy for him to 'play around' with it :) .
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv4/DaveAndSue/ScillyIsles200506034.jpg

The second pic is of the city of Napoli with Vesuvius in the background, taken in March 2005 I believe. I would draw your attention (if I need to :lol: ), to the large tower block in the centre right of the pic.
:lol:
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv4/DaveAndSue/Acciaroli0305001.jpg
This is a hotel, erected a few years ago, called the Hotel Jolie Ville, (which I understand translates as 'Pretty Town', ironically). After many years of refusing such applications on the grounds of spoiling theskyline, inappropriate in that area etc. etc., apparently large sums of money changed hands and approval was given - remember that Napoli is the second home of the mafia or cosa nostra.
It struck me as being so sad that such a beautiful place could be so blighted simply by capitalism doing what capitalism does, make money. It's better than the alternative but it's far from perfect. The guy or guys that got this one through the system should be hung from the nearest lamp post, like Mussolini, IMHO.
Many of the houses around it are the sort of three storey slums that look quaint on photos but must be hell to live in. If you're going to change things they should be changed for the benefit of the locals, not some faceless billionaires on the other side of the world.
Rant over - comments invited.
Cheers,

The Vinyl Adventure
22-09-2009, 20:25
I really like the second one, really nicely exposed, and the weather conditions you have captured are amazing!