PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Upgraded Technics Owners

Hypnotoad
22-09-2009, 01:31
I have read all the posts about the improvement upgrading your Technics 1200 series will provide. And all the heated discussions it has caused and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I for one would love to be able to compare my current number 1 table, Pro-Ject Perspective with 9 cc Carbon Fiber arm, with an upgraded Technics, I have two Technics which are both stock standard, a nice SL1700 and a SL 1200 Mk2.

So I think I have a way of settling this.

Why don't all those with upgraded Technics 1200's post what upgrades they have and what turntable it replaced, carts included.

This way we have a sort of yard stick as to what is better than what.

My standard Pro-Ject Perspective easily beats out my standard Technics tables.

I am really considering upgrading the SL 1200 Mk2 with a Timestep PSU and a Jelco Arm, probably the feet as well.

If these improvement would let my SL 1200 Mk 2 surpass my Pro-Ject then I would have no problem selling it, I got it for a song anyway and may even make a profit.

So lets hear it folks what did you do to your Technics and what did it replace and how much better does it sound?

Magna Audio
22-09-2009, 11:43
Interesting idea - someone would need to maintain a list / spreadsheet with what / better than what.

I have tried to be consistent in comparing decks - where possible using the same arm / cart / phonostage. I think chaning more than one item make it very hard to say that is the character of a deck coming through. Particularly if you have not tried a deck extensively with lots of alternatives before.

1st deck was a Rega P3 with A.O modded RB250 arm (initially with Blue point special cart but also with AT 33 PTG)

Then came the technics SL-1210 with custom built external Traffo and DIY PSU.
I put the Rega arm on this this with AT 33 PTG. Also I found Foculpod feet over the standard ones to improve cohesiveness of the music. Not a huge amount but worthwhile.
Big step up from the P3. Bass grip and timing improvements.

Then I put a Terminator parallel tracking arm on with 33 PTG. This was a consdierable improvement over the Rega arm in dynamics and detail.

Then I ran a Pioneer PL-71 for a while. Bought as Gromit and other enthused so much about it - I must say it is very good at boogie / nice to look at IMHO. I also tried the parallel arm on the PL-71 - close run thing with the PL-71 arm - slightly different presentation but not worse or better really.

Then I put the PL-71 arm & mat on the SL-1210. This gave the performance similar boggie factor to the PL-71 deck/arm. The SL-1210 has even better pitch stability than the Pl-71 deck. Perhaps that is what adds to the bass grip but also I detected a clarity and forwardness I'd not heard/noticed on the PL-71. The PL-71 mat is a great thing. Quite a lot better than a regular Funk Achromat IMO. Not tried anymore exotic mats.

That's my lot so far;)

I do like to change TT configs and re-discover / check differences. I expect to put the PL-71 arm back on the PL-71 (10 min job) sometime perhaps weekend after next.

The Vinyl Adventure
22-09-2009, 14:31
Sl1210 with 0c9, timestep, weight and the mat from my old roxsan. Easily beats old roksan xexces with oc9 and tabriz arm... Easily! I have only listened to one cd sinc I got the 1210 4-5 weeks ago(?)

Jason P
22-09-2009, 14:47
My Tecchie replaced a fruitbox - Linn LP12 from around 1990, originally Ittok/Valhalla then Origin Live DC with OL250 arm. The Technics, with a modded standard arm (rewire by Audio Origami, KAB fluid damper, Sumiko headshell and brass counterweight), mat from SoundHiFi and no other mods easily matches and in some areas definitely exceeds the Linn. I'm running a nuded DL103 at the moment, I'd really like to get an OC9 but funds won't allow.

I'm happy with the 1200, as it's great as is (once rewired and re-headshelled - a relatively cheap undertaking) and can be upgraded for sensible money. When I'm flush I'll go the TimeStep/Jelco or SME route, but I'm more than happy till then. And I don't have to constantly worry that it isn't fettled right, or I haven't made the right invocation that morning, or Jupiter was aligned with Mars - you know, the standard Linn stuff.

Jason

REM
22-09-2009, 15:38
Same here, my 1210 took over from an LP12 circa 1990(pre Cirkus) with a 'geddon psu and a 'stop gap' RB300 which stayed in place for about 17 years. To be fair it had been pretty obvious for ages that all was not well with the Linn but for less than the price of putting a new Aro or Ekos on it I took a punt on the Techie with the TimeStep psu, SME309, Herbies' (Sound HiFi) mat, Isonoe feet and a DL103 (now Zu) so hardly a cheap option but compared to the Linn upgrades a veritable bargain.
Straight out the box it was obvious this was something very special and 6 months down the line this combo still surprises and delights with new insights into lps I thought I knew inside out.
For once all the stuff you read in the press and on the web isn't just hype, it's the real deal and the beauty is you can upgrade one step at a time (geddit) and just be amazed at how good the Technics actually is.

Cheers:cool:

muffinman
22-09-2009, 19:13
Hi Hypnotoad (futurama rocks)

My 12 is kab psu'ed with a sds isoplatmat. Transfi terminator and ATOC-9

replaces a Hr psu'ed Gyro with Orbe platter upgrade, trans fi evolution arm and DL304

Aside from cost, I can't personally single out in what ways the 12 is better than the Gorbe (maybe it's too many)
I did find that the arm/cart combo knocked all previous tinkerings into a cocked titfer though

Few people give up on their modded 12's. In this box swapping world i think that's quite an acheivement

Dave Cawley
22-09-2009, 21:47
OK, my Technics sits in a wood plinth, has a SME V with Shelter 501. Used it for about 3 hours today, lovely......

http://www.soundhifi.com/copper-white.jpg

Regards

Dave

Marco
22-09-2009, 21:55
Looks fab, Dave!

Where's the plinth from? :)

Marco.

Dave Cawley
22-09-2009, 21:56
I have 3 in stock, solid wood!

Dave

jfine
22-09-2009, 22:50
I am really considering upgrading the SL 1200 Mk2 with a Timestep PSU and a Jelco Arm, probably the feet as well.

Hey Hypnotoad, you must be the same guy over on audiokarma, eh?

I have an almost fully kab modded 1200MK5, some of the smaller tweaks I dont have, yet. I went with a bone stock and added mods one at a time so I could get an idea of how they may change what I'm hearing. Of course after 2 or 3 major mods, other mods that follow may be affected by the first mods too :doh:

I noticed you're from Texas, I'm really curious why you would consider a timestep vs a kab power supply? I can understand if you're overseas, but it'd be a heckuva lot cheaper here, and Kevin's a super nice guy and can answer any questions you have without being defensive :) I tried both and found no discernable differences, IME. ;) Maybe it's something you read? :eyebrows: Marco (above) has tried both too, but with different results.

Dave Cawley
23-09-2009, 06:07
As Marco found out, it's the holistic approach and future upgradeability that made him sell his KAB power supply and use a Timestep one. Jfine, did we supply you with a Timestep PSU? I can't remember? If not where did you get it from?

Regards

Dave

Marco
23-09-2009, 07:23
Hi Jeff,

I have an almost fully kab modded 1200MK5, some of the smaller tweaks I dont have, yet.

Smaller tweaks? LOL. As far as I know, you've not had your tonearm Cardas-rewired yet (or upgraded the stock headshell). The arm rewire is definitely not a small tweak. It's the most fundamental one next to the PSU! :eyebrows:

I noticed you're from Texas, I'm really curious why you would consider a timestep vs a kab power supply? I can understand if you're overseas, but it'd be a heckuva lot cheaper here, and Kevin's a super nice guy and can answer any questions you have without being defensive...

I'm not sure I like that remark. Dave isn't being "defensive" in a negative sense; merely supporting the design principles of his product, which is of course quite natural. He is also a "super nice guy" to deal with.

Is Kevin your cousin, or something? It certainly seems that way!! I think you need to lay off 'evangelising' him because it's making you come across as a shill. I'm sorry if that's not your intention, but I also have to be honest and say that you are making me rather suspicious.

Jfine, did we supply you with a Timestep PSU? I can't remember? If not where did you get it from?

Yes I'd also like to know this. In fact, could you please post a detailed picture of your system in our gallery?

Marco.

P.S As an aside, would you be up for giving Dave C a quick call and proving that you have no connection with KAB? If you are genuine then it shouldn't really be a problem :)

jfine
23-09-2009, 08:26
Hi Jeff,
Smaller tweaks? LOL. As far as I know, you've not had your tonearm Cardas-rewired yet (or upgraded the stock headshell). The arm rewire is definitely not a small tweak. It's the most fundamental one next to the PSU! :eyebrows:

Yes I do have that. I mentioned it in my intro, that YOU wanted me to do, and then you dont read it. Sheesh another guy who doesn't read my posts :lol:

I'm not sure I like that remark. Dave isn't being "defensive" in a negative sense; merely supporting the design principles of his product, which is of course quite natural. He is also a "super nice guy" to deal with.

It's how I feel Marco, he may make you feel different, that's all. He jumped on my @ss with the bet thing, wouldn't let it go. All because I made a comment that I thought SMPS design might have been thought thru when the PSU was being built. From then on he got defensive, and part of it might be because, like you, he thinks I'm someone else. It's really surprising to say the least. Kind of funny at first, now it's plain asinine.

Is Kevin your cousin, or something? It certainly seems that way!! I think you need to lay off 'evangelising' him because it's making you come across as a shill. I'm sorry if that's not your intention, but I also have to be honest and say that you are making me rather suspicious.

Nope, not even a distant relative (I think). I wish he were, cuz then I could've got my stuff at a discount :lol: I aint evangelising nobody, never have in my life. Shill, had to look that up, Not my intention. Heck I thought that you and Dave were cousins :lol: Hey I can be honest too?

Yes I'd also like to know this. In fact, could you please post a picture of your system in our gallery?

What do you want to see? The color of the blue wire on the cardas at the back of the arm is slightly shaded different than the stock color, but I doubt if you could tell that from a pic. Let me know what you want to see. I have a TT, a receiver, and 2 speakers.

P.S As an aside, would you be up for giving Dave C a quick call and proving that you have no connection with KAB? If you are genuine then it should really be a problem :)

Marco, what would I say? How would I prove it? Oh hi this is Jeff, and I have no connection? If he wants to give me an invitation to call, and at a given time that works with my time zone, I'd consider it. I'm available M-F 8-5 Pacific Time.

jfine
23-09-2009, 08:42
Jfine, did we supply you with a Timestep PSU? I can't remember? If not where did you get it from?

You really got to read what I post. I have a friend (sort of) who has one. He lent it to me. It is not mine, and I gave it back. What the heck, now I'm being interrogated? Nice. At least I ANSWER MY QUESTIONS.

chris@panteg
23-09-2009, 08:58
As Marco found out, it's the holistic approach and future upgradeability that made him sell his KAB power supply and use a Timestep one. Jfine, did we supply you with a Timestep PSU? I can't remember? If not where did you get it from?

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave ' i believe you are right with the holistic approach , which i why i recently sold my Achromat , and when i can afford it i will buy your mat.

I tried to like the funk ! but 2 things it did not fit the platter and the sound was a bit too lean and toppy for me ,very detailed and bags of crarity yes but :scratch:.

I have gone back to the rubber mat for now 'its not that bad really .

BTW Dave you are a shameless hussy for showing off that tasty SP10;)

Dave Cawley
23-09-2009, 09:01
Really, who was the friend? It isn't something that can be plugged in, how did you restore it to the KAB afterwards? Or did you just plug it in without doing the other mods first? Could you be totally honest and up front about this? If you dreamt it in the shower, just tell us, we will understand!

Dave

Dave Cawley
23-09-2009, 09:02
BTW Dave you are a shameless hussy for showing off that tasty SP10

It's a Technics thread old boy!!

Dave

Marco
23-09-2009, 09:02
Hi Jeff,

Yes I do have that. I mentioned it in my intro, that YOU wanted me to do, and then you dont read it. Sheesh another guy who doesn't read my posts.

My apologies. As you'll appreciate, because I'm very busy actively involved in running the forum/replying to threads I don't have the time to read every post that's written. Have you changed the stock headshell and lead wires, too? Those are crap and need immediate replacement if a serious hi-fi cartridge is to be used.

It's how I feel Marco, he may make you feel different, that's all.

Ok, can we now move away from personalities and concentrate on products instead? Incidentally, that applies to both of you :)

I'd like the discussion, if it's to continue, to remain strictly on that basis.

He jumped on my @ss with the bet thing, wouldn't let it go. All because I made a comment that I thought SMPS design might have been thought thru when the PSU was being built. From then on he got defensive, and part of it might be because, like you, he thinks I'm someone else. It's really surprising to say the least. Kind of funny at first, now it's plain asinine.

There is fault on both sides, and things have unquestionably gotten a little silly! The fact is, just as you see Dave as behaving defensively towards his PSU, so are you also doing the same with the KAB one.

Anyway, let's move forward from the silliness and concentrate instead on having a proper discussion about the sonic merits of the relative products. I don't believe that you are qualified to discuss the technical issues.

What do you want to see? The color of the blue wire on the cardas at the back of the arm is slightly shaded different than the stock color, but I doubt if you could tell that from a pic. Let me know what you want to see. I have a TT, a receiver, and 2 speakers.

Nothing fancy, just a picture of your system as it is. We ask all our new members to do this.

Marco, what would I say? How would I prove it? Oh hi this is Jeff, and I have no connection? If he wants to give me an invitation to call, and at a given time that works with my time zone, I'd consider it. I'm available M-F 8-5 Pacific Time.

Once Dave's heard your voice he could then phone Kevin and see it it's the same - simple! ;)

Anyway, as I've said, this is all getting a bit silly, although if you guys chatted perhaps you'd respect each other more and the (ever-increasingly) thinly-disguised animosity in the dialogue between you here would cease? :cool:

Marco.

Marco
23-09-2009, 09:07
I have a friend (sort of) who has one. He lent it to me.

That's not a problem.

Dave,

For documentation purposes you'll surely have a list of all the Timestep PSUs that you've exported to America, no?

Jeff's (sort of) friend must be on it.

Marco.

Dave Cawley
23-09-2009, 09:13
America is a big place! And you know from your experience, the KAB and Timestep are simply not interchangeable at all?

Dave

Marco
23-09-2009, 09:21
Yep, that's true (regarding interchanging the PSUs) :)

However, how many Timesteps have you exported to America? There surely can't be that many.

If Jeff PMs you his friend's name and an approximate date of purchase you must be able to find it amongst the invoices in your paperwork. I could do this with the sales from my own business, no problem.

No-one else is selling the Timestep on your behalf, I presume?

Marco.

Dave Cawley
23-09-2009, 09:34
Over 10!!

Dave

Marco
23-09-2009, 09:46
That shouldn't be difficult then. Amongst those 10 should be Jeff's friend, or if it was bought second-hand, the person Jeff's friend bought it from - simples :)

Marco.

Dave Cawley
23-09-2009, 10:17
But which one?? And how was it connected?

Dave

Marco
23-09-2009, 10:30
Sorry, Dave, what do you mean "which one"? There is only one Timestep PSU for the 1200/1210 Technics series, correct?

Have you looked through the list of 10 people from the States who've purchased such a Timestep PSU from you?

If so, keep the info handy and we'll wait for Jeff's comments (particularly re: connection) on his return :)

Marco.

Dave Cawley
23-09-2009, 10:49
OK, got it!!!!!!

Dave

mulane
23-09-2009, 12:07
I think all this is rather silly. Just answer the man's question:

"I'm really curious why you would consider a timestep vs a kab power supply?"

Well isnt the simple answer that the Timestep replaces and upgrades more than the KAB does and takes it a step further? As I understand it (and correct me if I'm wrong Dave) the Timestep upgrades the regulator section too which the KAB doesn't, and the general consensus is that this is sonically significant. Down to simple engineering isn't it?

It's still OK to prefer and buy the KAB one but better to do so fully informed.

Back to the main topic: I've only ever owned one other turntable, a JH belt drive which my father passed down to me when he bought a Technics SL 120. :)

My Technics SL 1200 with JH unipivot arm, AT 33PTG cartridge and stripped of the crude rubber and Pocan base, soundly beats the JH belter, even more so with the Technics platter constrained layer damped. (In its heyday the JH was considered by some to be the equal of the Linn LP12 sonically.)

Dave Cawley
23-09-2009, 13:00
Yes you are perfectly 100% correct, thanks! However if you look back on another thread, he won't accept this?

The odd thing is that now he claims to have tried both, but seems unaware of exactly how difficult this is do in practice?

Curious?

Regards

Dave

mulane
23-09-2009, 13:41
We cannot argue with him if he states he doesn't hear a difference. People listen in different ways and have different auditory capabilities and priorities. A piece of his equipment might also be masking the difference.

But to then state that because he personally does not hear a difference that a difference therefore does not exist would not be logical, if he is saying that.

I haven't heard either one so I can't agree or disagree although going by my past experience I think it "likely" that an improved component such as a regulator might be able to be heard by some people.:cool:

Dave Cawley
23-09-2009, 13:56
What I'm trying to say, is that I simply can't see "how" he could have tried both? It's not remotely easy and we are a tad suspicious that he hasn't?

Dave

jfine
23-09-2009, 15:21
Really, who was the friend? It isn't something that can be plugged in, how did you restore it to the KAB afterwards? Or did you just plug it in without doing the other mods first? Could you be totally honest and up front about this? If you dreamt it in the shower, just tell us, we will understand!

Dave

I'm not going to give you anybodys name and I just soldered the other supply back, I am honest and now I'm pissed.

jfine
23-09-2009, 15:25
What I'm trying to say, is that I simply can't see "how" he could have tried both? It's not remotely easy and we are a tad suspicious that he hasn't?

Dave

What is your problem? It's not at all difficult. I'm rather tired of your insinuations.

jfine
23-09-2009, 15:33
Have you changed the stock headshell and lead wires, too? Those are crap and need immediate replacement if a serious hi-fi cartridge is to be used.

Look I've played with 2 other headshells and 1 set of other headshell wires. I like the stock one right now. Is this enough for you?

The fact is, just as you see Dave as behaving defensively towards his PSU, so are you also doing the same with the KAB one..

Wrong. I dont give a flying piss about the KAB one. I want to know how the timestep is better, that's all.

Once Dave's heard your voice he could then phone Kevin and see it it's the same - simple! ;)..

It proves nothing. If you and Dave think I'm in cahoots, then what does it prove?

Anyway, as I've said, this is all getting a bit silly, although if you guys chatted perhaps you'd respect each other more and the (ever-increasingly) thinly-disguised animosity in the dialogue between you here would cease? :cool:

Not if he keeps interrogating me. I have no respect for someone who is bent on trying to see if I'm lying when I have spoke the truth. Whatever, you guys think what you want, I dont care. Just let me ask my questions, all I did was ask Hypnotoad why he would choose something. Now everytime I ask a question about a soundhifi product you and Cawley are going to call me a liar?

Marco
23-09-2009, 15:38
Jeff, with respect, in the circumstances you can understand why we were slightly suspicious...

I'm personally willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, as it's only fair in the absence of irrefutable evidence which proves that you're being disingenuous, but I'm sure you'll agree that anyone joining a forum and making up pretend equipment comparisons in an attempt to discredit/devalue a particular product would be completely out of order. I'm not saying that you're doing that, though, but it happens for a variety of reasons.

I think we should leave it there now and move on. If you have any further queries regarding Technics T/T modifications then either I or others will be more than willing to answer them, or simply continue your dialogue with Hypnotoad as before - your choice :)

Marco.

jfine
23-09-2009, 15:49
Jeff, with respect, in the circumstances you can understand why we were slightly suspicious

I'm personally willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, as it's only fair in the absence of any irrefutable evidence which proves that you're being disingenuous, but I'm sure you'll agree that anyone joining a forum and making up pretend equipment comparisons in an attempt to discredit/devalue a particular product would be completely out of order.

However, I think we should leave it there now and move on. If you have any further queries regarding Technics T/T modifications then either I or others will be more than willing to answer them :)

Marco.

You guys have pretty much pissed me off. :doh: I came in to work this morning and read all the banter between you and Cawley trying to nail my @ss against a wall or something. Now my coffee's cold :steam: Whatever man, I don't need the benefit of a doubt, I can stand on my own, and people can think what they want, thank you. :) I for one have my own suspicions. :ner:

Marco
23-09-2009, 16:10
Ok, well that's fine. Let's get back to the thread topic now or whatever else it is you wish to discuss other than the above. Go and make some fresh coffee and come back when you're ready :)

Marco.

MartinT
23-09-2009, 21:54
My SL-1210 has the Timestep PSU, Jelco SA-250ST arm with Sound Hi-Fi arm plate, Audiophile mat, Isonoe feet, Bruil weight, AT-33PTG cartridge, Underwood/PS Audio GCPH preamp.

It replaced a Roksan Xerxes with Mk.II PSU, SME IV arm, AT-OC9 cartridge, EAR 834P De-Luxe preamp.

DSJR
24-09-2009, 11:45
So, to conclude this little episode. Am I right in saying that the KAB supply is simple to fit to the standard deck and involves little more than replacing one power feed with another and the Timestep by comparison needs the regulators replacing as well to give of its full effect?

I'd also very respectfully suggest that the standard headshell is fine for higher-compliance cartridges (don't judge a quality cartridge by its mass or compliance (unless it's a Decca :D) as lower compliance designs "load" the vinyl much harder and the more marginal tracking ability will ultimately cause more record wear, especially at side end (I'm thinking SPU vs AT33PTG/OC9 here).. I'd also say that a couple of inches of headshell wire is the last thing you need to worry about when dealing with the standard arm, as the possible resonance problems when using moving coil cartridges would make a FAR bigger difference to the final sound. getting the arm re-wired in its entirety would be a far better bet IMO and not that costly...

Finally, is the mk5G arm-tube different to the mk2? It certainly costs more I think...

Dave Cawley
24-09-2009, 11:51
Oh, silly assumption! Why not just ask me first? It's a 10 minute job with no new regulators to fit. Perish the thought!! With only one wire to solder, the KAB has two, but does it matter?

Agree on the headshell and wire though!

Dave

Hypnotoad
24-09-2009, 18:42
Oh, silly assumption! Why not just ask me first? It's a 10 minute job with no new regulators to fit. Perish the thought!! With only one wire to solder, the KAB has two, but does it matter?

Agree on the headshell and wire though!

Dave

Have you ever tried powering the SL 1200 series using batteries, there was a report I read that someone used battery power to see if there was a sound difference between the stock PSU and battery power.

I think from memory they connected it without bypassing the internal regulator and found little if any difference.

Is it the regulator that causes all the problems, if so has anyone connected battery power bypassing the internal regulator?

Not that I would want a couple of car batteries in my lounge room but as an experiment.

Dave Cawley
24-09-2009, 21:35
The regulator is part of the problem. I have never found batteries to be particularly good, their impedance is often quite high and variable and the chemical noise produced is more in my tests than a well designed power supply. In phono stages they can reduce hum and coupling, but this isn't the issue here.

Dave

Marco
24-09-2009, 22:49
Hi Dave (DSJR),

I'd also very respectfully suggest that the standard headshell is fine for higher-compliance cartridges...

"Fine" it may be, but what would you prefer: "fine" or excellent? It's about dotting the i's and crossing the t's. In my system (even without using a low-compliance DL-103) I can easily hear the difference a better headshell makes. The stock headshell is flimsily constructed, made from poor quality materials, and quite resonant. None of those are good qualities. After all, the headshell is what you're coupling the cartridge to. Upgrading a detachable headshell may seem like 'small beer', but quite simply, in a genuinely high-resolution system the small details matter :)

I'd also say that a couple of inches of headshell wire is the last thing you need to worry about when dealing with the standard arm, as the possible resonance problems when using moving coil cartridges would make a FAR bigger difference to the final sound.

I completely agree; hence why I recommend upgrading from the stock arm when going for an MC cartridge. *However*, it's all about those small details again - only this time they're not quite so small...

If one considers that those couple of inches of headshell wire are the first thing that the (delicate) signal sees when outputting from the cartridge pins, then they are very important because any information lost at that point cannot be retrieved further down the chain. Think of it along the lines of how poor quality interconnects can 'hobble' the signal from a CDP or preamp. The length of wire may be different but the effect is the same.

Being the T/T geek that I am, I've experimented with just about every set of detachable headshell wires on the market (and also most headshells), and I can tell you that there is a noticeable difference in my system between the bog standard crap supplied with the Technics headshell and, say, the solid silver Ortofon lead wires I use with my NOS magnesium headshells.

All I'm saying is don't underestimate the importance of dotting the i's and crossing the t's when optimising your system, as it can often mean the difference between hearing the 'full picture' in all its glory, or merely a snap-shot of the real thing. Going the extra mile in this way, in my experience, usually pays dividends.

Marco.

DSJR
25-09-2009, 12:12
I suppose it's all relative Marco....

The coil wires inside a cartridge are thinner than a human hair and there's many feet of wound strands on each channel. I suppose my argument was more to do with one tiny strand meeting a short length of multi-strand before the arm-wires. A moving coil cart shouldn't be affected unduly, although a moving magnet design which uses the coils, cable capacitance and inductance to "tune" its frequency responce may be sensitive to bog-standard headshell-leads.

I must admit to not knowing the current techie headshell. The 1970's ones were pretty solid, if not as good as the Sumiko/Nagaoka style. Linn did put forth a comment regarding the flimsy LVV arm, that the flexible "Basik" headshell actually helped absorb vibrations and prevent them from transmission down the arm.. It worked with this arm, more "rigid" shells sounding "mechanical" to my ears. I do appreciate that arms like the Jelco's are rather better in ALL ways :) yet LVV's fetch stupid money on fleabay :scratch:

Tarzan
25-09-2009, 12:41
Marco, what do you feel are the best headshells and headshell wires and why, as this is my next port of call:).

Tolstoi
25-09-2009, 13:53
Dave, in your place I wouldn't bother. If you bring out a product of some kind you will always have someone who wants to argue with you. I believe that you are wholeheartedly convinced that your product is good and at the moment the best solution and that's why you build it and sell it. On this planet only you and KAB have this PSU for the SL and you'll always find the one or other person who doesn't hear any difference with or without the external PSU's or thinks one is better than the other. So what? It's only important what you do.
Well, I just wanted to say keep up the good work and don't care about such things if it's not a constructive criticism of your product which could improve it.

Cheers

Joerg

DSJR
25-09-2009, 19:13
Hear Hear!

from another Dave (once an extremely popular name, but seems to have died out at present)

Chivas
08-10-2009, 10:38
Can Dave C and jfine please stop spoiling every single thread in this Forum? I don't know either of you and find this whole thing absolutely ridiculous.

I honestly don't want to become part of this feud and am not picking sides, but if I may add my 2 cents as a bystander...

I met Dave (I think - it was a guy at the Sound Hifi stand with a grey beard) at the NAS in the UK the other day and found him quite pleasant and was extremely impressed with modded 1200 on display there - or perhaps it was Stevie Ray Vaughan who impressed me, not sure...? I started drawing up my savings plan for the mods, but I am so put off by this whole thing that my std 1210 (with Timestep) sounds better day by day.

It will be great if we can give members some breathing space to air their opinions/questions without being jumped on. What if Jeff is really honest and he is not Kevin? What if he asks questions with good intentions (I have exactly the same questions, because I also have limited funds and won't be sold down the wrong street and have the right to make sure I spend my money wisely). I would be pissed too and would also not defend myself by betting or calling anyone, just out of principle! It seems like he has come up against an AoS/Sound HiFi coalition here. And so what if he is Kevin. Dave punts his products and berates others at every single opportunity he gets and very aggressively questions anyone with a different opinion. How many enemies has he made on this Forum? It will be even better if we can stop shamelessly berating other products, http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=98473 because you not only insult the designer/manufacturer, but also every owner out there. It borders on telling someone he has an ugly wife, the same one who he may love and regard as the prettiest woman in the world!! Not even to mention criticizing someone's life's work!!

As far as I understand there is an area for both private as well as Trade exhibitions in this Forum. Can we keep it there and keep this as a forum for discussion and exchanging ideas and thoughts? This is getting out of control and spoils it for everyone. Every bloody 1200 thread I am interested in I have to read throught this drama to get to any content.

No, I do not have the time to defend every single comment made above, it is my OPINION and more of a request to leave the kids' stuff to the school kids and let's talk music.

PS. For the record:
I am not Kevin, Jeff, Dave or Graham Slee and I do own a Timestep PSU and a GS Solo and a Gram Amp SE and am happy with all of them. I will post a pic if you want me to.

Regards
Chivas

DSJR
08-10-2009, 11:39
Yes please! All photo's gratefully received :gig:

Dave Cawley
08-10-2009, 11:44
I met Dave (I think - it was a guy at the Sound Hifi stand with a grey beard) at the NAS in the UK the other day and found him quite pleasant and was extremely impressed with modded 1200 on display there

That was me! Forget internet poltics and just go with the music!!

Regards

Dave

Chivas
08-10-2009, 12:49
I met Dave (I think - it was a guy at the Sound Hifi stand with a grey beard) at the NAS in the UK the other day and found him quite pleasant and was extremely impressed with modded 1200 on display there

That was me! Forget internet poltics and just go with the music!!

Regards

Dave

That's music to my ears!! :violin::dance:

Yes please! All photo's gratefully received

Will do ASAP!

Chivas
08-10-2009, 12:55
Yes please! All photo's gratefully received :gig:

Of the wife or the audio equipment...? ;)

Will make her pretty and post one tonight!

Marco
08-10-2009, 18:23
Hi Chivas,

Welcome to AOS :)

What's your first name and where are you from?

When you get a chance could you please pop into the Welcome area and introduce yourself and your system?

This is part of the procedure of joining our community for new members.

Cheers!

Marco.

Chivas
08-10-2009, 20:35
Hi Marco

Sure. Sorry, my bad.

As promised, the picture.., sorry the flash doesn't help things...

Marco
08-10-2009, 20:40
LOL. Thanks for that, my friend :)

Could you post them where they belong in The Gallery section?

What's your proper first name and where are you from?

Cheers!

Marco.

Chivas
08-10-2009, 20:52
Hi Marco

Don't want to tell my first name, otherwise Dave might recognise it when I send my Techy in and scratch it...not to mention discount... ;)

I've introduced myself in the "Welcome section" and posted the pics here as per DSJR's request...don't think they're worthy of the gallery :unfair:

Retief

Marco
08-10-2009, 21:02
Thanks for that!

Of course they're worthy of the gallery - it's there to show our members' systems regardless of what they consist of (there's no snob value factor in our gallery) so please post them there :)

Marco.