PDA

View Full Version : Dawn over the North Kessock Bridge.

Spectral Morn
21-09-2009, 10:59
Hi Guys

just back from a Trip to Inverness (over a week now) and we where staying on a hill above and facing the main bridge out of Inverness to the Black Isle. I have to say that I feel in love with this bridge and have taken a number of photos including some abstract light based images.

This first set taken at dawn gave me the idea to use the bridge for a series of portraits taken at different times and using many different settings on the camera. I should point out that if the image is solid and clear or vague then that is what I intended and not a mistake. I was trying to capture the life and movement of light on and around the bridge in both an impressionistic way and abstract. Some later photos take this to extremes.

All images are copy right Argent Images.

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/InvernessHighlandsHolidaySept09008.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/InvernessHighlandsHolidaySept09016.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/InvernessHighlandsHolidaySept09015.jpg

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii364/davros124/InvernessHighlandsHolidaySept09026.jpg

Regards D S D L

DaveK
21-09-2009, 11:52
Hi Neil,
I'm no expert on photography (or anything else for that matter :lol: ) but did you use a tripod for the first three shots? I'd be interested to hear Hamish and Shaun's comments. Must say I preferred the Loch Ness shots subject matter but that's just me, an outdoor boy at heart :) .
Cheers,

Spectral Morn
21-09-2009, 11:57
Hi Neil,
I'm no expert on photography (or anything else for that matter :lol: ) but did you use a tripod for the first three shots? I'd be interested to hear Hamish and Shaun's comments. Must say I preferred the Loch Ness shots subject matter but that's just me, an outdoor boy at heart :) .
Cheers,

Hi Dave

A firm foundation was used with some slight movement induced by me. When I post the next set of picture you will all see what I was trying to achieve. These were the origin to the experiment and yes there are some rock solid stable shots as well.

Regards D S D L

The Vinyl Adventure
21-09-2009, 13:32
experimentation in photography, in my books, is something that should be encouraged!
i can see the effect you were trying to achive!
i personal favour the last image

dave, there are a few fine art photographers who very succesfully produce images by moveing the camera to produce a softer image.. soem to the point of making it unrecogniseable

DaveK
21-09-2009, 13:53
i personal favour the last image

dave, there are a few fine art photographers who very succesfully produce images by moveing the camera to produce a softer image.. soem to the point of making it unrecogniseable

Hamish,
I'm with you in favouring the last image.
But ....... you've just spoiled my day :( . When I think of all those pieces of fine art that I've produced (albeit accidentally :lol: ), and then deleted, it makes me wince - getting them published could have made me into another David Bailey (or similar) :lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign: .
Cheers,

The Vinyl Adventure
21-09-2009, 14:17
A mate if mine took a photo of a city scape at night, he didn't expect it to come out to well, but when he got the photos back he was really suprised to find that the paterns the light had caused with there streaks were very aetheticly apealing. We scanned the nag for him and tweaked it a touch in lightroom and printed it. He now has it on his wall and very frquently has people comment on it! I think it's a common misconseption that th only way a photo can be good is if it is perfectly sharp blah blah blah! What makes a good photo is something that when it is looked at it inspires something in someone!
Like the ness picture, I looked at it, thought wow, I can see exatly what neil was trying to do there... (fairly standard photographers response to a good photo)
Those blurry photos dave, lets face it, they probably were pap! ;) :lolsign: but to someone somewhere they might have been the beat photo ever taken! (prob not though eh, so I shouldn't loose any sleep!! :lolsign:

Spectral Morn
21-09-2009, 14:43
Hi guys

Next batch of photos nearly ready, been putting them on photobucket.

I agree the last image is the most successful as the first three don't go far enough. These first images were just rough experiments. I think your friend Hamish and I were perhaps influenced by the same ideas. I wanted to work with the light and movement and produce something very different to a standard photo. More light manipulation.

Regards D S D L