PDA

View Full Version : Technics SL-1200/10 record weights / clamps

Nigel
21-09-2009, 06:43
What's the consensus of opinion regarding using record weights / clamps with the Technics SL-1200 / 1210 ? I see KAB sell a Revolver Pig type replacement which only weighs a few grammes, this looks one of the cheaper options. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Nigel

Dave Cawley
21-09-2009, 07:34
I still like the one I use/sell.

I have seen other modifiers use it too.

Regards

Dave

The Vinyl Adventure
21-09-2009, 13:42
mine seems to effect the bass the most. i fear the positoning of my tt isnt ideal, that combined with the less than ideal postion of my speakers seems to sometimes make the bass a touch ott, the weight seems to lessen it slightly....

NRG
21-09-2009, 14:50
I've not tried a clamp/weight on a 1200 but from my experience on other decks they only seem to work with decks designed for them IMHO IE: the Michell Gyro. YMMV though...

The Vinyl Adventure
21-09-2009, 14:59
peter (stockwell), who i bought my weight off, said he felt it deadend the music a bit too much on his 1210... as i said before, in my situation, this is maybe a slight advantage... maybe its a trial and error thing, is there any dealers that would offer a try before you buy on one??

Dave Cawley
21-09-2009, 15:03
With the weight I get tighter, faster bass, honest! Marco???

Dave

Alex_UK
21-09-2009, 20:46
I have a screw on clamp on my pro-ject, and I definitely feel it tightens the sound - I would be worried that adding a weight to a turntable that was designed to run a certain weight might damage the bearings etc? Presumably not, Dave Cawley - how heavy is your weight? (is it a weight, or a clamp - your website mentions both - to my mind they are different, the former relying on mass, rather than a mechanical lock of the latter? This is no "authoratitive opinion" - just an amateur guess! And I'm not trying to be a smart arse, either!)

Dave Cawley
21-09-2009, 21:29
It's a weight, about 1/2kg

Dave

Magna Audio
22-09-2009, 11:53
good point - not tried the weight on my SL-1210. Must address that.
On the PL-71 I too felt ~0.5kg deadens the sound. To translate that: notes don't trip off the piano with the same finesse or lightness of touch with the weight.
Thin and light (=poor?) recordings (early Doors, Who etc) can sound better as the clamp gives more deaden/depth and sounds is less tinny.

jfine
22-09-2009, 23:11
What's the consensus of opinion regarding using record weights / clamps with the Technics SL-1200 / 1210 ? I see KAB sell a Revolver Pig type replacement which only weighs a few grammes, this looks one of the cheaper options. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi, I've tried a couple of clamps, never tried weights. A while ago, I was playing around with cork mats, spot mats, etc., and so I thought maybe a weight shouldn't be used on these because maybe the mat would depress too much, (well depends on how heavy we're talking). Spot-type mat I was working with probably not a good idea, well it's really not a mat but cork "spots".

I think it might depend on the vinyl too, like warps. I have a very slightly dished LP. If I place it on the platter so the dish is up, meaning the edges are almost off the platter, when I hit the brake on my 1200, it ever so slightly coasts to a stop behind the platter. In this case a clamp would probably help. :) IME regarding a Technics SL-1200 / 1210, I've read some hear no difference, and some do.

Alex_UK
25-09-2009, 15:56
Slightly off topic - but it was the thread that prompted the (hopefully simple) question - what's the difference between a 1200 and a 1210? Is it the colour - 1200 is silver, 1210 dark grey, or have I got it wrong completely???

EDIT - Ignore me, Wkipedia has the answer! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_SL-1200#Models

DSJR
25-09-2009, 16:44
1210 is black... (there were **10 varients of the mid-seventies decks too, but we rarely saw them in the UK - I did very much like the look of an SL1310 I saw not that long ago...)

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/Technics_sl1310_1.jpg

Does anyone have the original Revolver rubber "Pig?" I loved this as it was very lightweight (for those weaker bearings) and it only acted to improve coupling very lightly, giving the best of both worlds I personally thought.

MartinT
28-09-2009, 12:33
I use a Bruil weight (the design can be easily found on the net), which is an approx. 300g weight made of aluminium. As Dave C reports, it just slightly tightens the bass without affecting the rest of the frequency range.

freefallrob
29-09-2009, 08:58
When I used to run a standard and modified SL1210/1200, I used to use an 80's throw back Revolver 'The Pig', little rubber push on thing. It worked well and just tightened everything up.

Another i've used is the Clearaudio 'Clever Clamp', does the same thing but covers more of the labels area. Neither of these add any mass though.

bacobits
29-09-2009, 23:38
I just picked up on E Bay a weight from these guys (Canada).
It is the low profile one he has for the Rega dust cover.
Now, I got this for $44, free shipping.

http://www.ttweights.com/catalog/item/6997332/7020292.htm

Superb machining! Reasonable prices too.
I had been eyeing these for awhile.

http://www.ttweights.com/page/page/6597621.htm

Den

The Vinyl Adventure
02-10-2009, 15:21
I use a Bruil weight (the design can be easily found on the net), which is an approx. 300g weight made of aluminium. As Dave C reports, it just slightly tightens the bass without affecting the rest of the frequency range.

as it turns out this is exactly the one i have too. and as i have previously mentioned it does indeed tighten the bass without effecting the rest of the sound