PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge 740a problem's

chris@panteg
19-09-2009, 15:25
My 740a has developed 2 annoying fault's .

The volume control has started to become wildly erratic , when i try to turn it down it go's up like crazy (Wife getting :steam:)

Also i now have unbalance between channel's with the right side very dominant ' my new Beatles stereo CD's have suddenly become Mono.

This all very frustrating as i love the amp ' so its a trip back to Richer's tomorrow, i spoke to Matt and they will send it off for repair.

I have heard that CA have reliability problem's so this seems to be the case alas.

Gazjam
20-09-2009, 12:15
Hey Chris,
I have bought quite alot of CA kit over the last 5 years or so, and I agree about reliability problems.

I've had:

2 540D dvd players:
first was DOA, the second had BAD colour problems and really gritty picture quality.
Got a refund, bought a Sony upscaling player instead - quality.

2 640C CD players (V1's)
first blew a channel after 8 weeks, the second dead on both chanels after 8 months.
Got a V2 for my troubles (thanks Richers) and it worked fine.
Until I sold it when I got into Music server/Dac replay.

I'm still running a CA 640a amplifier but its now developed an intermitant "dry joint" problem on one channel.

Makes you wonder.....huh?

No more CA kit for me (well, maybe an 840a if it trumps a Nait 5i that is):)

REM
20-09-2009, 13:53
Mass production cost per unit=next-to-nothing. Quality control cost per unit=a-whole-lot-more.
So why worry, if the unit fails under warranty give the customer a new one, if it outlasts the warranty period the retailer/manufacturer are quids in. Either way it's the poor old customer that's left a heap of worthless junk. Really, just what is the difference between the Richer stuff and the garbage the likes of Dixons and the supermarkets sell?
What me, cynical?:(

chris@panteg
21-09-2009, 09:40
Yes i can't argue your point really ' still the customer service i got was excellent 'and they loaned me a black 740a 'which works perfectly ' so far ' .

Hi Gazjam ' i think the 740a and 840 are both superb amp's but voiced very differently to Naim ' it would be very interesting to compare with a Nait ' though not with Naim speakers .