PDA

View Full Version : wpope2007 - Caveat Emptor...fore warned is fore armed..E-Bay Seller warning.....

Spectral Morn
18-09-2009, 09:27
Hi Guys

I would not normally have considered doing this, mainly because my limited E-Bay experiences have so far been very good. Most of the sellers I have dealt with so far have been very professional and any issues dealt with promptly and fairly. However I have recently had an awful experience with a seller and despite his 100% feed back his attitude was awful.

As many of you know I am about to do a comparison review of Japanese tuners and the Leak Trough-Line, just to sort out whats what and if the Leak is the best or not. In order to do this I have had to borrow and buy some Jap tuners.

A few weeks ago I spotted a Japanese Sony tuner the 5150 on E-Bay which I won for £.. + postage. The description included the info that the main display bulbs were blown (easy to sort out), but that the fascia and inner case was in very good condition and it was in "working order".

As I was going away for awhile I asked him if he could send the tuner before I went away or if he could not guarantee that then not to send it until the week beginning 14th of September I also made suggestions/ request for a certain level of packaging in order to protect the tuner during its journey. In order to reinforce to him the importance of the safe arrival of the tuner, I shared with him that I was out of work and could not really afford anything to go wrong and could he do his best to guarantee that. This information was included with my payment order completion, directly after the auction finished.

Now if there were any issues with any of this the seller had plenty of time to talk to me and discuss it/sort it out. As the days went buy I heard nothing from him. Concerned I contacted him and he finally responded saying he would send it in time and confirm details and tracking number etc. I received no further information from him, he did not confirm his previous statement. I contacted him again with again no reply to me. With time running out before I went away I contacted him again, both via E-Mail and E-Bay's message system no reply came before I went away. I asked him not to send the tuner until the 14th Sept or send it to a friends address, I supplied the details via an E-Mail. Any communications with during all this were so vague as to useless.

When I came home it turned out he had sent it anyway, it arrived long after I had gone away and in a box that frankly was totally inadequate to protect the tuner. The box was damaged, pierced in one corner and when you picked the box up its bottom sagged as it could not support the weight. When I opened the box I discovered some thin bubble wrap, thin corrigated card and poly chips (only a handful), all the things I had asked him not to use as they would not protect the item. The wood case of the tuner was damaged at the two left and right fronts evidence of an impact during its journey (not evident on the photos). The rest of the tuner appeared to be okay, it powered up and the display did not light up but also the stereo indicator light did not work and sound was distorted and phasey. Further more after being powered up for awhile the left channel dies...hardly working order. It also turned out that he failed to mention that the tuner on its right side, above the display had a postcode written on it with a security pen in big letters, something both myself and my wife could read very easily.

I contacted the seller and his reply was...well totally unprofessional and rude..as he attacked me personally. Firstly he said that he could not afford better packaging (sorry, you include this in your postage costs or if there was an issue you contact the buyer (i.e Me) to discuss it...I would have paid more to pay for suitable packaging. He then attacked me personally having ago at me for being able to afford to go on holiday when out of work (what business or relevance is that to selling and packing properly).

I sent him a very strong E-Mail explaining exactly where he let me down. No reply basically he didn't/does not care because it was only £.. I suggested that fact to him. Totally unprofessional, rude and inadequate packaging/and description of goods (maybe it never worked/maybe it was damaged during transit..only he and God know the truth of that)

Based on my experience IMHO/E I question his 100% feedback.

I have photos copies of E-mails, E-Mail address etc and these details should you need them can be shared via PM, just in case he changes his E-Bay name.

As a warning to be careful or not deal with this Cowboy/Arthur Daily character and in AOS members interests (he sells items AOS members would be interested in) I share this sellers public details.

Selling name on E-Bay---- WPOPE2007.

First name WES

E-Bay Address---- Eastbourne, East Sussex, UK

I should in fairness point out, that he offered me a refund, but because its only £.. +p&p by the time I had packed it and had paypal deduct from my refund it was not worth my while to take him up on that. His behaviour, lack of care and attention and his personal attack on me for being out of work etc made me feel he is a badun and you all needed to be warned.

I have now waited 3 days for a reply from him, an apology for his rude comments about me being out of work...none has come. I also said I would be sharing this experience on an audio forum (which I did not name).

YOU HAVE BEEN DULY INFORMED AND WARNED.

Regards D S D L

hifi_dave
18-09-2009, 10:02
I have found E-Bay to be no bl**dy help when things like this go wrong. I bought a Luxman amp a few months ago which was supposed to be pristine and fully working. In fact it was a bit of a mess and had the bass control and power light socket missing. Not as described.

I contacted the seller right away and waited two weeks for a reply which didn't come, then I did the E-Bay complaints procedure and ended up with nothing - no reply, no refund, no explanation, no help from E-Bay. Unfortunately, I had paid by cheque but from what I've seen of Pay Pal, they are also no help at all when things go wrong.

Some people live being devious and crooked and often there's nothing you can do about it. :scratch:

Spectral Morn
18-09-2009, 10:20
I have found E-Bay to be no bl**dy help when things like this go wrong. I bought a Luxman amp a few months ago which was supposed to be pristine and fully working. In fact it was a bit of a mess and had the bass control and power light socket missing. Not as described.

I contacted the seller right away and waited two weeks for a reply which didn't come, then I did the E-Bay complaints procedure and ended up with nothing - no reply, no refund, no explanation, no help from E-Bay. Unfortunately, I had paid by cheque but from what I've seen of Pay Pal, they are also no help at all when things go wrong.

Some people live being devious and crooked and often there's nothing you can do about it. :scratch:

Hi Dave

So far everyone I have dealt with on E-Bay have been very professional if there have been any problems...partial refunds etc. This guy to my mind just does not care, and didn't from day one.

Sorry to hear about the Luxman...what a pity.:(:steam:

Regards D S D L

DaveK
18-09-2009, 10:41
Hi Neil,
Sorry to hear about your poor experience on eBay - I too was scammed once, involved the police ('cos eBay's response was less than useless) and got a full refund, eventually - bit more of a scam than your's, several people involved and between £15K and £20K involved in total but only £150 of it mine.
eBay are not interested in helping to resolve such problems, in my case they just advised me to contact the seller.
The police had to be cajoled (sp?) into following it up because they said there was no chance of getting my money back. My response was that I had already said goodbye to the money but I did want him prosecuting if possible.
What really P....d me off was that I had to dig and gather all the evidence and hand it to the police, including the scammers a/c no. and branch code, only to be told that the Bank involved would not co-operate with their enquiries unless the INDIVIDUAL sums involved were in excess of £5K. The banks could be forced to co-operate by court order but the costs involved in this were not worthwhile unless the sum involved in each case exceeded £5K. IMHO the banks taking this stance of not co-operating with the police voluntarily is encouraging such scams.
Then, just to compound the situation, it turned out that the scammer, who lived in the Thames Valley (meaning two police forces were involved as I live in S. Yorks), was the( Edited out as this info may get AOS into trouble. Sorry Dave. Regards DSDL). As a result of this a deal was done whereby the family involved agreed to refund the money on the basis that the scammer son was not prosecuted (remember that the total sum involved was approahing £20K !!). Initially I declined the offer and requested that he was prosecuted but my request was ignored/over ridden. Joe Public, the victim, is just a pawn in such matters apparently.
Rant over !! :steam: :steam: :steam: .
Hope you get some sort of satisfaction but it seems unlikely, I guess.
Cheers,

twelvebears
18-09-2009, 10:47
One thing I have noticed from retailers is that THEY (generally, there have been exceptions) seem not to give YOU feedback until YOU have left theirs.....

I always give my feedback as a seller as soon as the buyer has paid and (if relevant) collected successfully. As a buyer, obviously I wait until I've actually got the item.

To my mind, the way many sellers hold out on their feed back (especially when payment has been made immediately), coupled with the way eBay seem to say YOU'RE ABOUT TO LEAVE NEGATIVE OR NEUTRAL FEEDBACK!!! ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS!!!!!! is hardly conclusive to feedback giving a reflection of reality.

If it was me, I've rig up the feeback and eBay/Paypal payment system so that the seller HAD to give their feedback first, and where payment was via Paypal and the item was to be posted by the seller, that the money would not be released until the seller had done so.

Spectral Morn
18-09-2009, 10:49
Hi Dave

The amount of money is relatively small...a refund is a waste of time in this case. By the time I pack the thing properly pay for posting it back (no refund for that) and Pay pal charge me a fee for the refund (yes they do) its not worth the hassle. My only redress in this matter is to leave negative feedback and warn all you guys about him.

Sadly the bottom line on this experience is he just didn't care a jot about me or the item he sent. His last E-Mail tells me as much.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
18-09-2009, 10:56
One thing I have noticed from retailers is that THEY (generally, there have been exceptions) seem not to give YOU feedback until YOU have left theirs.....

I always give my feedback as a seller as soon as the buyer has paid and (if relevant) collected successfully. As a buyer, obviously I wait until I've actually got the item.

To my mind, the way many sellers hold out on their feed back (especially when payment has been made immediately), coupled with the way eBay seem to say YOU'RE ABOUT TO LEAVE NEGATIVE OR NEUTRAL FEEDBACK!!! ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS!!!!!! is hardly conclusive to feedback giving a reflection of reality.

If it was me, I've rig up the feeback and eBay/Paypal payment system so that the seller HAD to give their feedback first, and where payment was via Paypal and the item was to be posted by the seller, that the money would not be released until the seller had done so.

Hi Steve

I have just left his "negative feedback"...no doubt he will complain, but as I have all our exchanges it will be him that comes out worse. The guys an amateur at best and at worst .........

Regards D S D L

Jason P
18-09-2009, 14:40
It's a great shame because eBay could be a great system... but I feel that the money made (and it is IMMENSE) by them both through transaction fees and paypal (they're one and the same, essentially) biases agains them spending any time to resolve matters in a just and fair manner. In short, as long as the money rolls in they couldn't give a ****.

My 1210 was bought from the 'Bay, and I had to really push to get a refund for the condition it was in. I've also had excellent experiences, both as a buyer and seller.

I tend not to do so much on it now, and would steer clear of larger purchases if I couldn't collect in person. Much rather deal with people here, on the 'wam or on AVForums. It's more bound by the 'gentlemans agreement' I feel.

Jason

HighFidelityGuy
18-09-2009, 14:58

If it was me, I've rig up the feedback and eBay/Paypal payment system so that the seller HAD to give their feedback first, and where payment was via Paypal and the item was to be posted by the seller, that the money would not be released until the seller had done so.

That p*sses me off too. Most sellers seem to wait until the buyer has left feedback which shouldn't be alowed. In my opinion, once the buyer has paid in full, their part of the transaction is over and they should be given positive feedback. The buyer should then give feedback once they've received the the item, or not as the case may be. I had to repeatedly email one seller before they finally left me positive feedback. It took about 3 weeks. Some sellers just don't leave feedback full stop, which should not be allowed.

Luckily apart from a few feedback issues I've so far not had any problems with ebay transactions. Although my account was hacked once and some numpty from Latvia ordered some army boots to be delivered to his home address. Needless to say the master criminal was soon found out and my money refunded. My top tip is to always use PayPal for any transactions, whether it be purchase or sale. At least that way you have some level of protection. Also make sure your purchase with PayPal is on a credit card, as that gives you another level of protection.

Thanks for the warning D S D L.

Spectral Morn
18-09-2009, 15:25
That p*sses me off too. Most sellers seem to wait until the buyer has left feedback which shouldn't be alowed. In my opinion, once the buyer has paid in full, their part of the transaction is over and they should be given positive feedback. The buyer should then give feedback once they've received the the item, or not as the case may be. I had to repeatedly email one seller before they finally left me positive feedback. It took about 3 weeks. Some sellers just don't leave feedback full stop, which should not be allowed.

Luckily apart from a few feedback issues I've so far not had any problems with ebay transactions. Although my account was hacked once and some numpty from Latvia ordered some army boots to be delivered to his home address. Needless to say the master criminal was soon found out and my money refunded. My top tip is to always use PayPal for any transactions, whether it be purchase or sale. At least that way you have some level of protection. Also make sure your purchase with PayPal is on a credit card, as that gives you another level of protection.

Thanks for the warning D S D L.

No problem you are welcome.

Regards D S D L

Barry
18-09-2009, 17:49
Hi Neil,

Sorry to hear of your eBay problem. Certainly experiences like the one you have just experienced do tend to dent your confidence and put you off bidding.

In my limited experience (75 or so transactions) I have only had two problems. One was more frustrating than expensive. A ‘newby’ seller was offering a Marantz 10B tuner. I placed the winning bid, however the seller would have nothing to do with me. I should say that my winning bid was well below my limit and well below what the tuner was reasonably worth. Clearly the seller was disappointed and could not be contacted. eBay themselves were helpful to the extent of providing me with the sellers true name, address and telephone number. None of this was to any avail as each time I tried to phone there was no answer. All e-mails went unanswered.

Clearly the seller was not upholding his end of the bargain; if he expected a reasonable final selling price, he should have set a reserve price or started the bidding at a more realistic figure. eBay realised they would not receive their commission, so they followed my request and removed the seller from their list.

The second difficulty was with an item of photographic gear. Upon receipt it was found not to be in working condition. The seller claimed that the item was a ‘vintage’ item, to be regarded as a collectable item for display only and should not have been expected to be in working condition. My reply was that I still use camera equipment that is over 50 years old. In his favour he did not say that the item was in working condition, nor did he say that it was not and it was my fault for not enquiring. The seller agreed to refund if I was to return the item, which I did at my expense.

Generally I have found that where there has been a problem it has been resolved amicably and in my favour. Overall I still have confidence in eBay, but would agree that it is a sellers market and like the previous posts, I too get annoyed by sometimes having to chase up sellers feedback on me.

Regards

Spectral Morn
18-09-2009, 18:44
Ummm. Your Marantz 10B seller broke the legal contract he had with you to sell the unit and you to buy it. It would be different if it was the other way round. What was your winning bid ?

I have had problems on E-Bay but they all bar one on going have all been solved with little hassle. There are a lot of nice professional sellers on the bay. However with Wes it was his personal attack on me which was the straw that broke this camels back and his I don't give a damn attitude.

Regards D S D L

markf
18-09-2009, 20:43
He did offer a refund which seems fair, I know the tuner cost $xx but how much did you
pay for shipping ? (a % of the item cost will do )

Spectral Morn
18-09-2009, 21:24
He did offer a refund which seems fair, I know the tuner cost $xx but how much did you
pay for shipping ? (a % of the item cost will do )

Nearly as much as the tuner 3/4 of the winning bid. What wasn't fair was the totally crap way he dealt with this sale from the off Mark. His communications were vague, he promised to do basic things like tell me the tracking number and when the item was sent...none of which he did. He didn't answer my E-Mails or E-Bay messages he left me out to dry, dangling in the wind with no information as to when or if I was going to get the tuner. And then after I told him about the damage to the tuner and the fact I felt the packaging was inadequate he said that was all he could afford. Sorry what? Every person I have dealt with on E-Bay so far has managed to pack well to guarantee the goods arrived in one piece. Not this poor excuse for a seller. Bottom line he didn't give a damn. If it arrived smashed...shrug of the shoulders so what. And then to cap it he makes it personal and attacks me in away guaranteed to both hurt and upset me.

I have been fair to him. I have given him every opportunity to do this right from day one and he hasn't bothered his ass. Its people like this guy that frankly should be driven out of E-Bay and the audio trade never mind other areas of business. Piss poor and not caring at all.

I offer this thread to warn people about him. Do you know him ?

Regards D S D L

markf
18-09-2009, 22:07
No I don't know him,you've just got to be careful when you buy low cost items.
The way I look at it ,sometimes you get a good deal, sometimes you get garbage.

Spectral Morn
19-09-2009, 07:01
No I don't know him,you've just got to be careful when you buy low cost items.
The way I look at it ,sometimes you get a good deal, sometimes you get garbage.

Hi Mark

It was an auction and not a BIN. Very few were interested in the item.

Regards D S D L

David Price
19-09-2009, 09:59
Hi guys, I take on board all your comments and am in no way excusing what happened here. But I thought I'd better offer some observations.

First, when buying secondhand, classic or even vintage hi-fi, that's what you're buying. You can't expect it to perform like new (you said the sound was "phasey"; that could easily have been down to the age of the capacitors). I think there's an unrealistically high expectation amongst buyers that if they buy, say, a 1978 Sony tuner, it's going to work like it did in 1978. It won't; even if it was stored in a museum since new, or in a dust-free bubble.

Second, you really have to insist that the seller packs it up properly; best to email him before the sale ends to confirm this; don't wait till you've won to find out that he's going to stick it in a shoebox with a piece of bubblewrap he got from a toaster box! Unfortunately, what happens is that buyers don't take much interest in this, and then the seller posts it, it arrives smashed, and then a dispute starts. Easier to make sure the seller really understands about packing in the first place.

Just a couple of things to add to the debate!

cheers,

David

Spectral Morn
19-09-2009, 17:30
Hi guys, I take on board all your comments and am in no way excusing what happened here. But I thought I'd better offer some observations.

First, when buying secondhand, classic or even vintage hi-fi, that's what you're buying. You can't expect it to perform like new (you said the sound was "phasey"; that could easily have been down to the age of the capacitors). I think there's an unrealistically high expectation amongst buyers that if they buy, say, a 1978 Sony tuner, it's going to work like it did in 1978. It won't; even if it was stored in a museum since new, or in a dust-free bubble.

Second, you really have to insist that the seller packs it up properly; best to email him before the sale ends to confirm this; don't wait till you've won to find out that he's going to stick it in a shoebox with a piece of bubblewrap he got from a toaster box! Unfortunately, what happens is that buyers don't take much interest in this, and then the seller posts it, it arrives smashed, and then a dispute starts. Easier to make sure the seller really understands about packing in the first place.

Just a couple of things to add to the debate!

cheers,

David

Hi David

All valid points. So far the tuners I have bought for my upcoming write up have been fine and sounding very good. No doubt having them realigned and the caps, resistors updated would be a good idea though I wanted to do the review based on how they sound now and not tweaked, updated etc...thought that would be a future project, funds allowing.

He also stated that it was in working condition (bar the display illumination which he said was not working, this is easy to solve). It may well have been but isn't now due to carrier damage or maybe it never did...that I just don't know. The left channel of both fixed and variable outputs also drop out after the tuner being on for about an hour or so (dry/broken joint perhaps or a cracked circuit board ?). It will need looked at and I have an engineer who can do that, but this is extra cost and hassle I don't need and can't really afford. If it had been right from day one would I be having these problems?

My main issue with this seller is his poor attitude, rudeness etc and the totally unprofessional way he has dealt with me since day one. The seller at any stage could have said I can't pack it that way or I need to charge a bit more to pack it the way you want. He didn't do that, but told me ( he couldn't afford decent packing for £15, others can why can't he ? after all he sells audio gear regularly)this after he had sent it, and I had got it damaged.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
19-09-2009, 19:02
The seller (Wes) has E-mailed me and says that I am a Con man and he is going to get me banned of E-Bay :doh: I give up.

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
19-09-2009, 19:32
Don't worry about it Neil. He's a bullsh--ter, and with the emails he sent you, you have the proof. Don't let him get to you.

Spectral Morn
19-09-2009, 19:54
Don't worry about it Neil. He's a bullsh--ter, and with the emails he sent you, you have the proof. Don't let him get to you.

Thanks Nick

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
19-09-2009, 20:15
Thanks Nick

Regards D S D L

Heres the E-mail via E-Bay messages

YOUR A VERY STRANGE BLOKE I WOULD GIVE YOU A FULL REFUND IF YOU RETURN THE ITEM I THINK YOU ARE A CON MAN AND MY NEXT STEPS IS TO REPORT YOU TO E.BAY HAS A FRAUD AND SHOULD BE KICKED OFF HOW HARD WAS IT YOU TO SEND IT BACK NO LOSS TO YOU IF ITS SO BAD WHERE IS IT SO MUCH DAMAGE SO DESTORTED SEND IT BACK GET YOUR MONEY BACK YOUR A BIG CON MAN

- wpope2007

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
19-09-2009, 20:31
Methinks he doth protest too much!

Spectral Morn
19-09-2009, 20:33
Methinks he doth protest too much!

Methinks his English is not great....or spelling.

Regards D S D L

Barry
20-09-2009, 09:49
The seller (Wes) has E-mailed me and says that I am a Con man and he is going to get me banned of E-Bay :doh: I give up.

Regards D S D L

Neil,

Don't worry, there's no way eBay will have you banned. You upheld your end of the contract, eBay will receive their commission and returning negative feedback will not make any difference.

The seller is just annoyed with you for (justifiably) returning negative feedback and spoiling his record. I assume that when you did, eBay asked for details; they do for neutral or negative feedback. How many transactions has the seller marked up?

Have you spoken to eBay? I have their help line number somewhere, I could let you have it if intersted.

Regards

Mike Reed
20-09-2009, 14:27
Heres the E-mail via E-Bay messages

YOUR A VERY STRANGE BLOKE I WOULD GIVE YOU A FULL REFUND IF YOU RETURN THE ITEM I THINK YOU ARE A CON MAN AND MY NEXT STEPS IS TO REPORT YOU TO E.BAY HAS A FRAUD AND SHOULD BE KICKED OFF HOW HARD WAS IT YOU TO SEND IT BACK NO LOSS TO YOU IF ITS SO BAD WHERE IS IT SO MUCH DAMAGE SO DESTORTED SEND IT BACK GET YOUR MONEY BACK YOUR A BIG CON MAN

- wpope2007

Regards D S D L

At least he is consistent ! Just like his secure packaging, his punctuation is conspicuous by its absence.

Eastbourne's a nice place, too; shame. He should emigrate to Tosser de Mar.

At least you've had some good deals, Neil; I fear to go there after failing to even e-mail E-bay recently ( 'If your question doesn't conform to one we've already anticipated, tough shit !' seems to be their attitude.)

Spectral Morn
20-09-2009, 16:28
Neil,

Don't worry, there's no way eBay will have you banned. You upheld your end of the contract, eBay will receive their commission and returning negative feedback will not make any difference.

The seller is just annoyed with you for (justifiably) returning negative feedback and spoiling his record. I assume that when you did, eBay asked for details; they do for neutral or negative feedback. How many transactions has the seller marked up?

Have you spoken to eBay? I have their help line number somewhere, I could let you have it if intersted.

Regards

Hi Barry

My last 2 E-Mails to him suggest if he wants to make a complaint then to go ahead. As I have done nothing wrong and can prove it. He is only making a fool of himself.

I want an apology from him, and for him to become a better seller (if thats possible ?) thats it, so how does that make me a Con Man ?

Barry if I need the number i'll get it of you. Hopefully the threatening unpleasant E-Mails will stop. I asked him to get on with it, reply to the points raised on those 2 E-Mails or let it drop as I have. I really want nothing more to do with him.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
13-10-2009, 11:05
Update

Hi Guys

Rodney Hanna has just rung me...about the Sony 5150 tuner Wes sold on E-Bay.

Well it seems that the tuner was sold by him...faulty. This is worse in away than it being damaged in transit due to his crap packaging. The stereo decoder chip is stuffed. £60 to put a new one in or have the whole thing re-built. Neither option is an option for me at the present time so it will have to wait.

On the basis it now turns out that Wes sold a faulty item to me....well lets just say that anyone who buys of him or thinks about it should probably go to his house/place of business and check the items out in person.

As for me it will be a cold day in hell, before I ever do business with him again.

Sadly there will be no Sony 5150 in the Jap tuner test.

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
13-10-2009, 12:16
This is worse in away than it being damaged in transit due to his crap packaging.

I should think it is - its the difference between being a bit tardy, and potentially being fraudulent, though of course impossible to prove - especially if an already faulty item is so badly packed it is virtually guaranteed it will suffer damage... This Wes character sells hifi stuff all the time - so why your item was so badly packed is a big mystery to me...

Spectral Morn
13-10-2009, 12:21
I should think it is - its the difference between being a bit tardy, and potentially being fraudulent, though of course impossible to prove - especially if an already faulty item is so badly packed it is virtually guaranteed it will suffer damage... This Wes character sells hifi stuff all the time - so why your item was so badly packed is a big mystery to me...

Like you Alex..I have my suspicions, but can't prove anything.

I just would not recommend buying anything from him. His most recent listings have crap photos out of focus etc...what can I do. I left bad feedback and thats it.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
13-10-2009, 12:53
Sent this E-Mail to WES

After having a chat with Rodney

Dear wpope2007,

Hi Wes

Just had an engineer look at the Sony 5150. The stereo decoder chip is stuffed. So it would appear that the poor packaging, was not responsible for it not working properly. Basically you sold a faulty item as being okay...working fully/okay, like hell it was.

To say I feel well and truly screwed is putting it mildly. Just how do you decide whether something is working or not ? Switch it on and see if it lights up.

Alas I can do nothing about this now...£60 to fit a new decoder or use the case as the basis for a new tuner or bin it. Thanks a lot.

Neil

Just had this fabulous E-Mail from WES

You dont live in the real world you could have had a full refund and sent it back and you would have lost nothing but insted you desided to keep the item please note the item was working fine when sent out to you why would i want all the problems caused if the items dont work, look at my feed backs only 1 - from you next time dont be a clown send it back and get your money back you have made my day

- wpope2007

Yep I could have had some money back, but after packing it and sending it back I would have been down on the refund of £21 (now if he was including postage and packaging :lol::steam:as part of the refund then fair enough-but he wasn't). This seller just doesn't get what this has been all about....shit service and a rude aggressive attitude.

Can't wait for his next reply.

What a lovely chap he is.

Regards D S D L

Themis
13-10-2009, 15:08
It's a sad story Neil... :(

Well, I suppose it's enough to leave a negative comment, then blacklist the seller. Then forget it. ;)

Mike Reed
13-10-2009, 16:53
Methinks his English is not great....or spelling.

Regards D S D L

Or English, even !

He can't be a foreigner either as they have superior language skills to this !

Commiserations, Neil.

Spectral Morn
13-10-2009, 16:56
Or English, even !

He can't be a foreigner either as they have superior language skills to this !

Commiserations, Neil.

Thanks Mike.

Regards D S D L

Marco
13-10-2009, 17:00
Can't wait for his next reply.

What a lovely chap he is.

Neil, I'll give him a 'reply', if you like - one he'll never forget ;)

Marco.

Mike Reed
13-10-2009, 17:00
Bugger me, I've already commented on this topic ! Sorry 'bout that !

It seems I'm losing the plot !. Mike-ular degeneration, I think it is ! No doubt over this LFD phono stage, which goes back this weekend.

aquapiranha
13-10-2009, 17:02
Sorry to hear there was no satisfactory outcome for you Neil. as some have already said though, sometimes you just have to put it down to experience and forget about it, no matter how annoying things can be. I have only had one bad ebay experience, but the other guy decided it would be easier to unregister himself than try and sort it out.

there will be another tuner from a more honest seller in the near future.

Steve

Marco
13-10-2009, 17:05
Hi Mike,

Are you still unfortunately struggling with phono stages?

Quelle douleur, mon ami...

What's the latest on the situation - have you got a thread where you're discussing this? :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
13-10-2009, 17:15
Neil, I'll give him a 'reply', if you like - one he'll never forget ;)

Marco.

Hi Marco

EDIT No this is my problem, its for me to sort. I view this thread as simply a warning about a shoddy E-Bay seller thats all, and my experience with him so far

Its the principal behind this that bugs me most and the fact I can do little about it. I've left bad feed back and thats it. I just don't understand why Wes keeps going on about a refund. By the time I pack it up and ship it back to him I will loose half to 2/3rds of my refund. Spend £15 ish( give or take) for what, to get a £5 back. The guys a rude tosser.

Hi Steve...yep I know that something will come along but the tuner was for a write up of Jap tuners for SOG, which is now a couple of weeks late. To make matters worse I am also having trouble with a Sansui tuner which should have been posted to me weeks ago and silence from the seller. This has been the most expensive tuner so far. He says hes been ill and I am sympathetic towards him, but no reply to my E-Mails is now getting very frustrating :(

Regards D S D L

Mike Reed
13-10-2009, 19:21
Hi Mike,

Are you still unfortunately struggling with phono stages?

Quelle douleur, mon ami...

What's the latest on the situation - have you got a thread where you're discussing this? :)

Marco.

Cette douleur s'appelle 'mal d'etage phonographique'.

Sacre bleu, you really tested my schoolboy French, y'know.

Angling for a Superline at the moment (despite RFI and electrical problems), but will write up the saga here when the dust has settled, along with piccies of my d.i.y.-adapted Target 509 stand 'pods', possibly.

Spectral Morn
14-10-2009, 13:23
We often say on forums and in general that the written word can be misunderstood. Yesterday some banter on this thread and a few other comments have been misunderstood to suggest something which was not intended, so they have been removed and edited.

At no stage did I intend that anything other than discussion was required to solve this problem that I have with Wes. It should be noted that some further discussion has occurred today...with an intermediary involved. As yet a resolution has not been agreed or confirmed but may be so in the not to distant future...further details will be revealed at that time.

I will lock this thread now to prevent further comment that may not help the situation, and reopen it to confirm what may transpire later, in way of a resolution.

Regards D S D L

Steve Toy
14-10-2009, 14:51
A deal has been struck.

Steve Toy
18-10-2009, 23:09
....and WPope has backed out of it.

I do not recommend purchasing anything from this rather unpleasant individual.

I thought we were getting a happy ending. Unfortunately not.